Waived: Svechnikov waived amongst others

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I think he clears, too oft injured.

It's a huge list league wide. It includes Kylington (CGY), Perreault (WPG) and Johnson (TAM) too.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Doubtful Evgeny Svechnikov gets claimed with his injury history.

Unlike many people who will hit waivers here, Svechnikov is one with high draft pedigree and very little experience at the NHL level. Injury history is a significant hurdle to clear, but don't forget that Yzerman traded for Robby Fabbri who missed essentially two full years of hockey before returning as a fourth liner for St. Louis.

Sometime players never get the shot they would have eventually had, and that doesn't mean there is no value there.

If I'm Ottawa, I take a chance here. If I'm New Jersey, I take a chance here. If I'm Florida, I take a chance here. I could argue that Columbus should take a chance here. You need to take chances on free assets from time to time.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Unlike many people who will hit waivers here, Svechnikov is one with high draft pedigree and very little experience at the NHL level. Injury history is a significant hurdle to clear, but don't forget that Yzerman traded for Robby Fabbri who missed essentially two full years of hockey before returning as a fourth liner for St. Louis.

Sometime players never get the shot they would have eventually had, and that doesn't mean there is no value there.

If I'm Ottawa, I take a chance here. If I'm New Jersey, I take a chance here. If I'm Florida, I take a chance here. I could argue that Columbus should take a chance here. You need to take chances on free assets from time to time.
We shall see in 23 hours and 22 minutes or so.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Don't get me wrong; I hope he clears and we can float another year to let contracts expire and let him earn a spot.

Ultimately I just hope he ends up somewhere he can get a real shot.
Same here, I think with this waiver Stevie Y probably feels that he doesn't have much of a future there, Perhaps Carolina picks him up if he falls that far to play with his brother Andrei.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I would want Kylington for sure

This guy immediately becomes our best puck moving/passing LD.
His defense isn't great, but it's solid.
In Calgary, he was never going to get a bigger role.
In Detroit he's definitely a top 4 defenseman.
Could be Seider's partner for years, or until Johansson or McIsaac or Cholo are ready.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Thinking Svech will get claimed?

He should. He's cheap, still a good ceiling, and it shouldn't be hard to carry him as your extra guy if need be. Or just dump him later on. even if he does get through waivers, though, it looks like we're keeping Erne on the roster over him, which I just flat out don't agree with.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
At the end of the day, the Wings management/coaching staff see a hell of a lot more of these players then we do, so if they don’t feel like Svech is good enough to make the worst roster in the league, then so be it. I guess the only issue I have is that he is being waived to keep Erne. If it was to keep another kid that would be one thing, but Erne has zero upside.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
He should. He's cheap, still a good ceiling, and it shouldn't be hard to carry him as your extra guy if need be. Or just dump him later on. even if he does get through waivers, though, it looks like we're keeping Erne on the roster over him, which I just flat out don't agree with.

Can somebody please explain to me why Erne is even here. I don't see anything redeeming about him as an asset.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Would Carolina pick him up so that one day he and brother can play together? Do they have the means to do that?

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Wanted to see Svech get his shot, but he just keeps getting hurt.

Hopefully he doesn't get claimed, with so many options out there I can see him clearing and having one more year to work his way up.

If we lose him it's not a huge deal either, but just kinda stings from an asset value standpoint, and always wanted to at least get a chance to see if his upside could pan out.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I mean, this was expected.

On one hand, it seems unlikely he gets claimed. There are 1000 players currently on waivers, or about to be on waivers, or were just on waivers. Which tells me there is a lower interest in making claims, overall. And Svechnikov has an extensive injury history and has never really established himself.

On the other hand, there are teams still dealing with cap issues, and there may be a little extra interest by certain teams in acquiring young, cheap, talented players with draft pedigree. Carolina has claimed kids from us before. Maybe Andrei is furiously texting Waddell right now. They have 932K in cap space with room for one more forward. Geno's hit is 874K.

I'm setting the over/under on chances he gets claimed at 66.66... (repeating of course) %.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
At the end of the day, the Wings management/coaching staff see a hell of a lot more of these players then we do, so if they don’t feel like Svech is good enough to make the worst roster in the league, then so be it. I guess the only issue I have is that he is being waived to keep Erne. If it was to keep another kid that would be one thing, but Erne has zero upside.

Last year, Svech looked good in Detroit in very, very limited action.
For some reason, Detroit sent him down.
For some reason, Yzerman decided to load up on 22-23-year-old wingers and never give his own team's 22-year-old first-round pick half a chance.
Erne. Perlini. Timashov. Ehn. Hirose. Smith.
All guys who played more than Svech without doing much.
Not to mention all the older guys who just wasted everyone's time as Yzerman's Red Wings returned to early-80s catastrophic hockey.

Reactions: breuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad