Waived: Svechnikov waived amongst others

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think hes looked good enough to play decent in the nhl since his very first stint.

My thought last year was - sending him back to GR does nothing. You ride him out for a year.
We literally had nothing to with last year's team.
Svech isn't going to be a star. But I think he can be 15-15=30 winger who uses his size on the boards and in front of the net and who has the hands and skill to help the offense.

Reactions: Winger98

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Yah I’m sorta confused as well, he can’t go to GR can he?

From what I understand, waivers are required for the taxi squad, and players placed on the taxi squad aren't eligible to play or practice with the AHL squad. They're technically still on the NHL roster, but they get paid their AHL salary (if a two-way or AHL only contract) and don't count against the cap.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
My thought last year was - sending him back to GR does nothing. You ride him out for a year.
We literally had nothing to with last year's team.
Svech isn't going to be a star. But I think he can be 15-15=30 winger who uses his size on the boards and in front of the net and who has the hands and skill to help the offense.
Agree completely. He’s been mishandled since square one. Maybe they see things that we don’t or whatever but I just can’t give that excuse in this case.

Reactions: MBH

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
None of us are scouts/former NHL players/staff, if Yzerman put him on waivers, he sees things we don't. Nobody bleeds Red Wing red more than Yzerman. Putting Svech on waivers makes Yzerman bleed his own blood .

upload_2021-1-11_14-30-55.png

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Maybe I'm totally alone on this and get roasted for it. But I'll still say it.

I hope Svech gets claimed, if only to stop hearing about how THIS is the time he finally cracks the roster.

I wish him luck, I really do. But all indications are that he's never going to stay healthy long enough to develop into anything impactful. So let another team tinker around with him, because it's not gonna happen in Detroit.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Agree completely. He’s been mishandled since square one. Maybe they see things that we don’t or whatever but I just can’t give that excuse in this case.

I agree.
Yeah, the whole 'they see things we don't argument" never cuts it with me. While it's obviously true, I just don't accept it because we don't know what they saw.
So, I can only go by a few things.
* What I see.
* Data.
* Words I read .
Sending Svech back to GR last year was a poor choice. There was no upside. If he continued to struggle (and he didn't play all that well, according to the numbers), then he was toast - as we saw today.
If you give him a longer look in Detroit, you have the same downside (he sucks and he's toast) but you also have real upside. He could turn the corner and prove to be useful winger.

Oh well. At least we've got Bobby Ryan and Sam Gagner.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Maybe I'm totally alone on this and get roasted for it. But I'll still say it.

I hope Svech gets claimed, if only to stop hearing about how THIS is the time he finally cracks the roster.

I wish him luck, I really do. But all indications are that he's never going to stay healthy long enough to develop into anything impactful. So let another team tinker around with him, because it's not gonna happen in Detroit.

I don't think you deserve to get roasted. I think there is such a thing as fatigue that sets in with us about players like this. At a certain point its best to cut bait and move on. I think some other prospects are entering this territory as well.

At this point I doubt Svech is enough of an impact player for any this to matter.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
He truly needs to play, and play a lot.

If he clears waivers, the best place is GR.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I agree.
Yeah, the whole 'they see things we don't argument" never cuts it with me. While it's obviously true, I just don't accept it because we don't know what they saw.
So, I can only go by a few things.
* What I see.
* Data.
* Words I read .
Sending Svech back to GR last year was a poor choice. There was no upside. If he continued to struggle (and he didn't play all that well, according to the numbers), then he was toast - as we saw today.
If you give him a longer look in Detroit, you have the same downside (he sucks and he's toast) but you also have real upside. He could turn the corner and prove to be useful winger.

Oh well. At least we've got Bobby Ryan and Sam Gagner.

How can you be taken seriously when you don't accept that the team knows the player better than your eye test and your cherry picked stats? I mean come the f*** on. Yeah, we don't know exactly what the team sees, BUT we do know that whatever they are seeing isn't good enough to force their hand. And for someone claiming to go by the words you read, you seem to gloss over the fact that last year there were multiple reports of how he was still struggling with his knee post ACL injury and surgery.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm completely on the fence as to whether I'd be surprised or not by Svechnikov either clearing or getting claimed.

In terms of appeal for a potential claim, you've got a player that:

-At one point had enough appeal to go in the 1st round
-Has that "gotta prove you can't play" NHL size and has some grit to where he could be salvaged as a cheap bottom 6 guy if his skill game doesn't translate
-Pretty low risk from a cap/money/contract standpoint. On a 1-year with a lowish bury-able cap hit and a salary that goes down to $70k for the year if he gets demoted. If he doesn't pan out, he can be waived again and won't cost the team much to give their AHL team some depth -where, thanks to his injuries, he still doesn't count as a "veteran". Then they can let him walk as an unqualified RFA. If he does find a spot on the new team, he'll be an RFA at years end not eligible for arbitration and he isn't a risk to go Group VI UFA until after the 21/22 season
-Given that his brother is likely in NA for the long haul and at least his Mom, if not more of his family, live here during the season, he's probably pretty motivated to still make it work in NA rather than head back home to the KHL as soon as possible.

FWIW, other than his brother, he does have some other connections in the NHL:

-Some guy named Ken Holland that drafted him in the first round is now the GM of the Oilers, where their cap situation may call for some cheap depth
-Todd Nelson, who coached Svechnikov to his best season at the pro level in NA on the way to a Calder Cup, is now an assistant for the Stars

On the other hand, he could easily clear, considering:

-His injury history, including the one that just caused him to miss most of a pretty crucial camp for determining his future with the team.
-Outside of his rookie year in GR, his AHL resume isn't exactly sparkling

Based on this tweet/article from HSJ, it sounds like the injuries are what cost him a spot:

HSJ also cringily states that the pandemic is allowing teams to carry a 23 man roster instead of the "usual". That should be grounds for firing.

I can't remember exactly how he said it, but this seems to line up with what Yzerman said shortly after his first round of UFA signings in October. That the cancellation of the rest of 19/20 made the front decide they wouldn't be able to declare any young guys ready for regular spots in 20/21 outside of Zadina.

Judging by the whole "hasn't had a full season to show where he's at" reason for his being waived, I'm guessing if Svechnikov clears, he's tabbed to eventually go to GR when the AHL season starts.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Maybe he's some kind of generational locker room presence? Only thing I can think of.

I'm joking.

In defending Erne being qualified and re-signed to confused Wings fans replying on Twitter, HSJ would continually explain that Erne is "Stevie's guy".

That gives me kind of Holland/Babcock and Dan Cleary vibe, so maybe your joke isn't that far off. :help:

Reactions: Realgud

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Curious to see if we take a flyer on Kylington. LD, still young at 23, and pretty good offensive skills from what I remember. We don't really have anyone in the system that is close on LD. I feel like McIssac is going to go down the Svech line of injured until waiver fodder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad