Waived: Svechnikov waived amongst others

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Last year, Svech looked good in Detroit in very, very limited action.
For some reason, Detroit sent him down.
For some reason, Yzerman decided to load up on 22-23-year-old wingers and never give his own team's 22-year-old first-round pick half a chance.
Erne. Perlini. Timashov. Ehn. Hirose. Smith.
All guys who played more than Svech without doing much.
Not to mention all the older guys who just wasted everyone's time as Yzerman's Red Wings returned to early-80s catastrophic hockey.

I'm not going to debate last year, I agree that it would have been nice to see him get more playing time last year. My comments are specifically referring to this year and what they would have seen out of these players in training camp.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Last year, Svech looked good in Detroit in very, very limited action.
For some reason, Detroit sent him down.
For some reason, Yzerman decided to load up on 22-23-year-old wingers and never give his own team's 22-year-old first-round pick half a chance.
Erne. Perlini. Timashov. Ehn. Hirose. Smith.
All guys who played more than Svech without doing much.
Not to mention all the older guys who just wasted everyone's time as Yzerman's Red Wings returned to early-80s catastrophic hockey.
I think hes looked good enough to play decent in the nhl since his very first stint.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
That pretty much is the end of Svechnikov at Detroit. Very doubtful he gets claimed with his string of injuries.

If he does not get claimed, it pretty much means the team has written of Svechnikov as an NHL'er. Who knows, he could have a decent AHL career

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Would Carolina pick him up so that one day he and brother can play together? Do they have the means to do that?

If by means you are referring to cap space and roster space, Carolina has 932,261 left, and Svech's contract is just under 900K, plus they have one spot open so they could do it if he is there first choice.

Reactions: FabricDetails

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Can somebody please explain to me why Erne is even here. I don't see anything redeeming about him as an asset.

He's going to fulfill one of the required expansion draft exposure slots. That's why he's here anyway. Now whether that's a good enough reason to lose Svechnikov.... ehhh, I would think not.

Reactions: Winger98

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Svechnikov is as good as gone

You may be right, but I think you are overrating his value in the league. If this were during the season when spot open up, sure. But right now every team is waving a ton of guys.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Dang.

First round picks in 15, 16 and 17 are looking all pretty bleak.

Hopefully Ras can become a quality 3C over time.

Would be pretty bad, if Jim Nill would have had his brains in use at 2014 draft and taken Dylan Larkin #14 to Dallas (instead of Julius Honka).

Oh well, maybe we take Pastrnak then. :)

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I love Svech and truly wanted him to succeed here, it’s a shame that his career has turned out this way

I’d imagine the number of players being put on waivers will be huge

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
On a team with 4.5 million wingers, it's hard to see this as much of a loss, even if he gets claimed. At best, he might've been a third liner, and I really just don't care about losing that possibility (even if it was in exchange for expansion draft fodder).

I hope he figures it out and becomes an NHL player wherever he ends up.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
The thing is... you can't just claim someone and put them in your minors, or on the Taxi squad.. You have to claim him for your 23 man roster...

Svechnikov is CURRENTLY injured. And was injured all last year.

I would say there is no chance he gets claimed (Exception - Andrei pulls strings in Carolina... but even IF they did that, they are likely forced to waive another player in response.

If Carolina wants him, they will simply offer us a 7th pick or future considerations (conditional 7th for him)

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
You may be right, but I think you are overrating his value in the league. If this were during the season when spot open up, sure. But right now every team is waving a ton of guys.
A team will see how hes been injured and never really had a shot , why not get the player for free when you can?

I can see carolina for obvious reasons being interested

Maybe ovie pushes for a fellow russian? Sprong is on the third line it Appears so maybe they take a gamble?

Can see edm for sure with holland being the gm who drafted him , svechnikov turris puljujarvi line? Sounds good to me

Blackhawks suppose to be bad this yr

Devils/panthers i can see them also making a claim

I can see 6 teams , all you need is 1 . Also depends if teams values someone else like perry,frolik,johnson(doubt it) ahead of svechnikov

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
He's going to fulfill one of the required expansion draft exposure slots. That's why he's here anyway. Now whether that's a good enough reason to lose Svechnikov.... ehhh, I would think not.
Nielsen is one of them , and we can always trade for one or sign someone to fill a spot

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
The thing is... you can't just claim someone and put them in your minors, or on the Taxi squad.. You have to claim him for your 23 man roster...

I would say there is no chance he gets claimed (Exception - Andrei pulls strings in Carolina... but even IF they did that, they are likely forced to waive another player in response.

If Carolina wants him, they will simply offer us a 7th pick or future considerations (conditional 7th for him)
Can waive dzingel to their taxi squad , nobody will claim him

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Svechnikov practiced this morning and was deemed healthy.

And Carolina has both the right cap space and an open roster spot, they wouldn’t need to waive anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad