TV: Survivor 46

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Honestly, I don't have much to say about the last two episodes. I've found them pretty uninteresting.

I will say though that I don't get the "Ben is so charismatic" thing everyone keeps talking about. He just seems like a normal guy to me. As a matter of fact, I don't see anyone as having an overabundance of charisma. I don't see any Ozzys, Colbys or Ciries among them. It's like the cast is a set of individual median numbers, with none too high and none too low. There's no one to root for, and no one to root against. Everyone is just average. I guess that's what Probst wants. The villain days are over, and controversy must be avoided at all costs.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Honestly, I don't have much to say about the last two episodes. I've found them pretty uninteresting.

I will say though that I don't get the "Ben is so charismatic" thing everyone keeps talking about. He just seems like a normal guy to me. As a matter of fact, I don't see anyone as having an overabundance of charisma. I don't see any Ozzys, Colbys or Ciries among them. It's like the cast is a set of individual median numbers, with none too high and none too low. There's no one to root for, and no one to root against. Everyone is just average. I guess that's what Probst wants. The villain days are over, and controversy must be avoided at all costs.
Ozzy never struck me as having charisma. Absolute challenge beast though.

The player who screams having charisma to me would be JT in Tocantins, like he didn't have a single losing combo at FTC his entire time there. People were lining up to throw there game away just so he could win because they liked him so much. Some others who come to mind are Cirie like you mentioned, Tyson, Tony (he's so likable he can turn on his alliance to get a threat within it out, and then go right back to them, I've never seen anyone continuously pull that move), Sandra (rough around the edges but people love her), Jeremy, Michele, Kim, etc.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

I think that this is a case of poor editing, or intentionally misleading. I notice a lot of times there are players who are described by other players as being very charismatic or very well liked by the others that don't really seem much like it. I think the editing fails to really capture their charismatic personality in many ways.

You gotta remember that we only see a very tiny sliver of what goes on, they have hours upon hours of just sitting around on the beach socializing. Especially in today's Kumbaya Survivor.

Interestingly enough, I just watched Island of the Idols and the amount of controversy on that season was absurd. I knew about the Dan situation ahead of time, so it wasn't surprising for me what happened with him, but the situation surrounding it was just absurd and not a good look for CBS. I can understand them wanting to avoid that sort of situation, but like you said, it seems to have resulted in them swinging the other way and casting a very vanilla median cast.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think that this is a case of poor editing, or intentionally misleading. I notice a lot of times there are players who are described by other players as being very charismatic or very well liked by the others that don't really seem much like it. I think the editing fails to really capture their charismatic personality in many ways.

You gotta remember that we only see a very tiny sliver of what goes on, they have hours upon hours of just sitting around on the beach socializing. Especially in today's Kumbaya Survivor.

Interestingly enough, I just watched Island of the Idols and the amount of controversy on that season was absurd. I knew about the Dan situation ahead of time, so it wasn't surprising for me what happened with him, but the situation surrounding it was just absurd and not a good look for CBS. I can understand them wanting to avoid that sort of situation, but like you said, it seems to have resulted in them swinging the other way and casting a very vanilla median cast.
They've been doing that since the disaster that was World's Apart, IOI just may have made them even more cautious.

Social media has made things insane, a small portion of idiots within the fanbase start crazy false rumors about contestants (See Charlie) because they had the audacity to make a game move that may have hurt their favorite. World's Apart is probably the first time contestants actively contested the edit so openly, and also fanned the flames of controversy. Whereas in Survivor's infancy, these stories would be big, but would die down after a couple episodes.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Also, here's something that I have not seen many people address.

Why in the world did they harp so hard on the fact that Yanu tribe "didn't have fire" because they couldn't win their flint? Not having flint does not mean you don't have fire. It means they're either too inept or too lazy to make fire with other means. Why was this never acknowledged???

I just started watching Season 38 (Island of the Idols) and Janet, not wanting to seem like a useless old player, made fire using bamboo immediately upon landing on the beach. They hadn't even started their shelter yet and they had a fire going.

Sure it's a lot harder without the flint, but you can 100% make fire. I recall someone else on an earlier season making fire by using their eye glasses as magnifying glass to concentrate sunlight onto some kindling.
Just started Second Chances.

Again a tribe made fire day 1 before getting flint. Again they used the bamboo method and made it fairly quickly. Someone even mentioned how damp and humid it is, and they still got it made.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Just started Second Chances.

Again a tribe made fire day 1 before getting flint. Again they used the bamboo method and made it fairly quickly. Someone even mentioned how damp and humid it is, and they still got it made.
Simply put, since they don't get rice anymore and the water is drinkable, fire isn't that essential. It's nice to have obviously, as it allows you to cook the fish reward for example. Making fire now, if you don't have rice, and don't have to boil water, it is not worth the calories/energy it takes to make. Similar to why unless someone is a really good fisherman with the spear (like an Ozzy or Jonathan in 42) you never see them fishing because the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Oh look at this. Split merge. Half the tribe immune. 6 person tribal with the other 7 being there as a formality. And yet another split in the next episode with 2 more tribals of 6 or less. Did I call that shit or did I not call that shit? Also behold exhibit 10837 of why we need tribe swaps. These people interact for the first time in 2 weeks and you got 5 Sigas just sitting there drooling because they don't know how to do anything else but listen to Charlie and Ben one up each other in music trivia and one tribal completely melted their brains

Also. Stop playing music the entire episode. You're not helping

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Oh look at this. Split merge. Half the tribe immune. 6 person tribal with the other 7 being there as a formality. And yet another split in the next episode with 2 more tribals of 6 or less. Did I call that shit or did I not call that shit? Also behold exhibit 10837 of why we need tribe swaps. These people interact for the first time in 2 weeks and you got 5 Sigas just sitting there drooling because they don't know how to do anything else but listen to Charlie and Ben one up each other in music trivia and one tribal completely melted their brains

Also. Stop playing music the entire episode. You're not helping

shaking my head at Probst during the episode. Said to my wife before the merge that it will be the usual 2 tribes of 6 with one person left over who has to pick a side to root for blah blah blah one group of 6 is vunerable at TC. How many seasons in a row have they done this exact same crap?

Siga might be the worst post merge alliance I've ever seen. They literally don't know how to count! There are 13 people left, you have a tribe of 5 and you decide now is the time to close ranks and make everyone think you have an impenetrable group of 5. Meanwhile the yellow tribe is over there throwing each other under the bus to purple. Gee I wonder which group purple is going to side with?

The dumbest was Moriah. Loved when she finally realized how stupid she was playing AT tribal council and tried ot save her dumb ass. Loved when Q gave her a lecture about how poorly she was playing the game.

I was on team Venus, but everytime she opens her mouth I want to backhand her across the face. You're told that you are in the bottom two and on the chopping block, but that the other person is the one getting votes and instead of going with the plan and saving your butt you decide to rock the boat cause you don't like who the target is. I was hoping they would vote her out just to teach that idiot a lesson.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Siga needed to do what Reba did. 4 of the Reba were super close but didn't want the other tribes to know that so they had no problem feeding the other two on their tribe to the fire. If you dont have the numbers, and are refusing to say a name or give any information, youre not going to have a fun time. Need to learn when to give and when to get.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
shaking my head at Probst during the episode. Said to my wife before the merge that it will be the usual 2 tribes of 6 with one person left over who has to pick a side to root for blah blah blah one group of 6 is vunerable at TC. How many seasons in a row have they done this exact same crap?

Siga might be the worst post merge alliance I've ever seen. They literally don't know how to count! There are 13 people left, you have a tribe of 5 and you decide now is the time to close ranks and make everyone think you have an impenetrable group of 5. Meanwhile the yellow tribe is over there throwing each other under the bus to purple. Gee I wonder which group purple is going to side with?

The dumbest was Moriah. Loved when she finally realized how stupid she was playing AT tribal council and tried ot save her dumb ass. Loved when Q gave her a lecture about how poorly she was playing the game.

I was on team Venus, but everytime she opens her mouth I want to backhand her across the face. You're told that you are in the bottom two and on the chopping block, but that the other person is the one getting votes and instead of going with the plan and saving your butt you decide to rock the boat cause you don't like who the target is. I was hoping they would vote her out just to teach that idiot a lesson.
It's probably because Venus likely read the room and realized Charlie was the person standing in her way of becoming queen bee like Kim or Parvati. If I had to guess she wants to band all the women together and just pagong every dude off the show (like Kim and Parvati) and her chances of being the one to win with no one but women left is probably fairly decent. The only women with a clue how to play the game are Tiff and Kenzie because they are the only ones who have consistently been to Tribal Council and know how the game works and chances are they were first on the Venus hit list once the men were all out

No shit she wants to save Moriah. She's the one who was so Gung Ho for Siga girl power. And if Charlie goes home then Venus is riding the white horse and blows everything up probably

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The 7 I think can win. Looking like a strong Male season. Females aren't that good this season.

1. Hunter-Major winner vibes
2. Q-He might be too much of an alpha male to win, but he definitely plays the game and is decent at it
3. Charlie-He's like the typical person you'd think would win and has a good edit so far, but needs to ramp it up a level soon.
4. Tiffany-Is she doing enough so far? Needs to ramp it up a little.
5. Kenzie-She's probably not going to win. Likely only a good narrator, but she's perceptive and has a good social game.
6. Maria-She reminds me of Heidi from a few seasons ago. Everyone is waiting for her to start doing something, but she may only be a secondary character.
7. Tevin-Interesting character and he can play the game, but I get like 6th or 7th out vibes from him.

I'm with you guys about Venus. She's not good at the game. I want her to be better than she is, but she has no allies and it's likely because of her actions.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014

Couldn't agree more about the bolded, I hate the stupid way they do the 'merge' now.

Moriah putting on a master class of how not to play the strategic game.

I agree about Venus too (I wouldn't include the back-handing part personally, but I understand the sentiment lol). I went to a live watch party and was wondering why everyone was cheering so loudly for her until I realized she was actually at the party. I didn't even recognize her, as she's quite pale in person and had the makeup caked on lol. She was drunk live-tweeting during the episode which was kind of funny

Was pretty irritated that someone called her "Parvati Lite"/Parvati 2.0. Seems like any fairly attractive girl with a sharp tongue is automatically the next Parvati. Let's see some strategy before we start anointing people with the names of Survivor legends.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Was pretty irritated that someone called her "Parvati Lite"/Parvati 2.0. Seems like any fairly attractive girl with a sharp tongue is automatically the next Parvati. Let's see some strategy before we start anointing people with the names of Survivor legends.

she might be the most polar opposite comparison to Parvati of any contestant who has ever been on the show. Talk about an insult to Parvait.

Parvati was great because she was a social game wiz and knew how to charm everyone in her tribe, especially the dudes. Venus has ZERO social game and is condescending to everyone including the few allies she has. Venus has zero charm, zero charisma.

I literally couldn't think of a female contestant in the history of the show who is less like Parvati than Venus.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
she might be the most polar opposite comparison to Parvati of any contestant who has ever been on the show. Talk about an insult to Parvait.

Parvati was great because she was a social game wiz and knew how to charm everyone in her tribe, especially the dudes. Venus has ZERO social game and is condescending to everyone including the few allies she has. Venus has zero charm, zero charisma.

I literally couldn't think of a female contestant in the history of the show who is less like Parvati than Venus.
Yep. That's why it irritates me. As much as I used to dislike Parvati, I can't deny her legendary skills,

Venus whined after they won immunity because it didn't happen how she wanted it to, she came back to camp and sulked, her alliance member (I can't recall who) was trying to collaborate with her and she was just belittling them, and she doesn't seem to be particularly good at playing a flirty game either. Can't imagine she'll be going too far, but who knows with Survivor.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Young, really attractive female = Parvati no matter what.

Crazy how many future contestants Parvati negatively effected (targeted) just based on her reputation.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Young, really attractive female = Parvati no matter what.

Crazy how many future contestants Parvati negatively effected (targeted) just based on her reputation.
There is literally no one she wouldn't try to seduce and flirt with. Year after year after year. I don't remember who said it but she is a freaking virus. She burned a lot of bridges for future women on that show

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Can we please take a minute to say "Tim you stubborn SOB you had it coming"

Almost no one sees tribal lines anymore and yet Tim categorically insists on it at every turn. Imagine dying on that hill for someone like Moriah. Don't even count Yanu. They are but 3 people with no pull as individuals in the tribe war. They're laying low because its all they CAN DO, slowly working the cracks where it can be exploited. It isn't "Yanu strong" at all.

And you have Q desperately trying to band his 6 together across tribal lines and even leave Kenzie behind in it. It's the best strategy I've seen employed since probably Tocantins' exile island alliance. Brendan waited to "bring it out of hibernation" and was going to work with Taj and Fishbach. Had it worked, they'd have run that shit to the final 4. But it didn't because of Fish's man crush on J.T and Brendan literally never talked to Sierra about it when it was time. Derp

This is also exhibit 897 why we need to go from 3 tribes to 2 before the merge. The problem isn't Pagongings anymore. It's players dying with their clique because their only interaction with other people is 10 minutes on a "journey"

Either way, damn good episode. New Era needs to hammer out the pre merge. It's borderline unwatchable but when you get a blindside like Soda it's *chefs kiss*

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
Its so funny how clueless Venus is though, she thinks she's smart and running the show, but she's the butt of the joke. If I was on the island with her, I wouldn't be scared of her at all. No one wants to work with her because she's coming at everyone too hard. You cant even trust her to be a number.

She's the kid at the party bringing a firecracker gun, you freak out for a second thinking it's real until that kid starts popping firecrackers left and right, and then you're like ''that's annoying but whatevs''

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Venus is absolutely terrible at Survivor. She's the one that thinks she came up with the blindside. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Yeah, I was glad to see Tiff shut that down right away. I'm not sure if Venus thinks it was her, or was saying that for jury management.
Can we please take a minute to say "Tim you stubborn SOB you had it coming"

This is also exhibit 897 why we need to go from 3 tribes to 2 before the merge. The problem isn't Pagongings anymore. It's players dying with their clique because their only interaction with other people is 10 minutes on a "journey"

Either way, damn good episode. New Era needs to hammer out the pre merge. It's borderline unwatchable but when you get a blindside like Soda it's *chefs kiss*
Yes, Tim deserved that all along.

Also, I recently heard of the term "Merge-atory" to describe these stupid half-merge where they merge the tribe, but then split them in 2 teams and do 2 tribals. So stupid. Also, with the seasons being so short now the relationships don't get to build in the same way. Lame all around.

I did, however, enjoy the opposites poles of the two tribals. First tribal with the heavy Kumbaya of Siga tribe literally crying about how sad they are to be voting someone off and then Nami coming in with a lot of animosity and more reasoned vote.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Best moment of last night for me. **** went out like a champ.

I've used spoiler tags. It seems to lead to a blank page but if you highlight the address and hit enter the vid should play.

Last edited:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I’m unsure of which duo/trio is going to come out on top when all the other randoms are taken out.

Tevin/Hunter are probably the most well rounded, but biggest threat.

Q/Kenzie/Tiff I think are too tight and will need to be broken up, also Q is entertaining as hell but has made himself a massive target

Charlie/Maria I think they will stay pretty under the radar and get far, not sure either will play a loud enough game to win final tribal though?

and man Venus is so weird, thinking she pulled that off and made some amazing game lmao

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah, I was glad to see Tiff shut that down right away. I'm not sure if Venus thinks it was her, or was saying that for jury management.

Yes, Tim deserved that all along.

Also, I recently heard of the term "Merge-atory" to describe these stupid half-merge where they merge the tribe, but then split them in 2 teams and do 2 tribals. So stupid. Also, with the seasons being so short now the relationships don't get to build in the same way. Lame all around.

I did, however, enjoy the opposites poles of the two tribals. First tribal with the heavy Kumbaya of Siga tribe literally crying about how sad they are to be voting someone off and then Nami coming in with a lot of animosity and more reasoned vote.
Mergeatory needs to stop. It's little else than a plot device to keep Jeff happy with his tiny tribals with "nowhere to run" and last night he was ready to bust a nut over it. I really wish he'd stop patting himself on the back and doing "tea time" with the players. Used to be seeing Jeff at Tribal Council was an omen of death.

The upside of the split is that it has prevented the systematic Pagongings that plagued so many seasons and the rise of "Rob Fathers". Also the "Giant Merge Disease" that saw 12 and 14 players group together and there's TOO MANY places to hide. 10 was the right number and I don't know why survivor is so hellbent on never doing it again. But going from 12 to 10 in a night is fine. Just let them eat their damn food and have a buff. Survivor is turning into class warfare of haves and have nots.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I’m unsure of which duo/trio is going to come out on top when all the other randoms are taken out.

Tevin/Hunter are probably the most well rounded, but biggest threat.

Q/Kenzie/Tiff I think are too tight and will need to be broken up, also Q is entertaining as hell but has made himself a massive target

Charlie/Maria I think they will stay pretty under the radar and get far, not sure either will play a loud enough game to win final tribal though?

and man Venus is so weird, thinking she pulled that off and made some amazing game lmao
If Q wins this season it'll be GOATed. Dude was straight up bleeding Tony Vlachos energy with how much bouncing off the walls he was doing. Only difference is Q was asking opinions. But I.am here to lick it up like my cat drinking milk. Tiff and Kenzie have had ENOUGH and I wanna see if Q can somehow just do whatever he wants and have no consequences whatsoever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad