"surprise" predictions this year

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Chevy/Claude send Thorburn and Jokinen down to the AHL to get the roster down to 23 at the end of training camp.

That's the surprise. If anybody else claims either of them on waivers, I would be absolutely astonished/flabbergasted/shocked. Question for the CBA gurus... can you confirm that a player like Jokinen with a modified No-Trade-Clause be sent down to the AHL?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Chevy/Claude send Thorburn and Jokinen down to the AHL to get the roster down to 23 at the end of training camp.

That's the surprise. If anybody else claims either of them on waivers, I would be absolutely astonished/flabbergasted/shocked. Question for the CBA gurus... can you confirm that a player like Jokinen with a modified No-Trade-Clause be sent down to the AHL?

depends on his clause. Some restrict "trades" sepcifically, some restrict movement (player has to agree to be put on waivers)

all of it's moot, you don't waive a perenial 45+ point player at the end of training camp because of half of one bad season.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
It's the NMC that restricts waivers, NTC doesn't even if it's modified AFAIC.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Melchiori makes the team...

I was super impressed with him at the prospects tourney a couple of years ago, and just had this little hunch that he could be an NHL defenseman. Admit that I have not watched him since, has anybody seen him play some - and is this actually a possibility?

I think it would be nice to actually have some guys slide their way into a lineup at times when they are not billed as the second coming of Scott Stevens, Nic Lidstrom or Bobby Orr

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Melchiori makes the team...

I was super impressed with him at the prospects tourney a couple of years ago, and just had this little hunch that he could be an NHL defenseman. Admit that I have not watched him since, has anybody seen him play some - and is this actually a possibility?

I think it would be nice to actually have some guys slide their way into a lineup at times when they are not billed as the second coming of Scott Stevens, Nic Lidstrom or Bobby Orr

Still needs refinement. He's a longterm project but looks like TNSE knows and understands this.
He was IceCaps rookie of the year or whatever.
One of my pet prospects. Love watching him.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Still needs refinement. He's a longterm project but looks like TNSE knows and understands this.
He was IceCaps rookie of the year or whatever.
One of my pet prospects. Love watching him.

Thanks G for validating my "eye" from a couple of summers ago...any stats for this ;)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Thanks G for validating my "eye" from a couple of summers ago...any stats for this ;)

There are people who do run "pseudo" advance stats (which is silly concept when you think about it since advanced stats aren't that advanced :laugh:) and it is possible to do. They use goals instead of shots since AHL doesn't track shots allowing for underlying metrics.

But, I'm far to busy with school, two jobs, and doing stuff for Jets to run these. I may run some stuff for IceCaps, depending on how busy I am with my Jets zone entry/exit and scoring chances project.
I need to learn how to write more internet scripts; it would be much easier. I do most of what I do manually.

I'm going by my own eye test :D

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
all of it's moot, you don't waive a perenial 45+ point player at the end of training camp because of half of one bad season.
"What have you done for us lately"? I doubt we re-sign him after this season. He's effectively a rental player. We're not in cap trouble, so it's not about burying $925,000 cap hit. I'm worried about the 23 roster spots instead. Do we really want to risk losing O'Dell permanently (via waivers) just to keep a rental player like Jokinen? Especially if Jokinen has a lousy camp? We have a logjam at centre this season...
  • Jokinen
  • Little
  • O'Dell
  • Scheifele
  • Slater
  • Wright
Losing Jokinen would be addition by subtraction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad