OT: Summer Fitness Thread

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
The people who chase calories in vs calories out usually have a hard time long term. I just get everyone on board with trying to get jacked, make better food choices/eat your damn protein, and prioritize sleeping.

Yep. I’m in the worst shape of my life going on 36 right now, but my worst shape is good shape by the majority’s standards and it’s not because I live some super clean lifestyle or run marathons, I just focused on building lean mass for a long time. And when my schedule starts to balance out again and I get back in the gym it will come back quickly because of it.

I’m 5’10ish 210ish
81E00435-BF3F-4F76-8293-D60118B86BA0.jpeg

32 years old around 10% BF and probably eating 4K calories a day versus 35 years old around 18%. Probably at 20-22% now. But it will be a ton easier to lose it because when I start lifting and eat a little better, the mass while burn way more calories and the muscle memory will help me push much better, more efficient work outs.

062B919D-3983-463B-8A70-C24CE1E75C6E.jpeg

Last edited:

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Yep. I’m in the worst shape of my life going on 36 right now, but my worst shape is good shape by the majority’s standards and it’s not because I live some super clean lifestyle or run marathons, I just focused on building lean mass for a long time. And when my schedule starts to balance out again and I get back in the gym it will come back quickly because of it.

I’m 5’10ish 210ish
View attachment 562113
View attachment 562114
32 years old around 10% BF and probably eating 4K calories a day versus 35 years old around 18%. Probably at 20-22% now. But it will be a ton easier to lose it because when I start lifting and eat a little better, the mass while burn way more calories and the muscle memory will help me push much better, more efficient work outs.

View attachment 562116
You look way below 22%BF
Unless everyone else just lies about theirs and everyone’s is actually higher than they say 😂

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
I would do grip/forearm training for tennis elbow. And make sure you hit the biceps with three different hand positions (palms up, neutral, palms down). That should alleviate the problem.
At this point i can only do light neutral grip curls and can barely do a pull-up without the forearm screaming. So I have to work around that doing other back stuff, using versa gripp straps.

I have theraband flexbars, coc grips, I do flossing with a bike tube..trying everything.

Reactions: will1066

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
The people who chase calories in vs calories out usually have a hard time long term. I just get everyone on board with trying to get jacked, make better food choices/eat your damn protein, and prioritize sleeping.
The "diet" mindset is the problem and unsustainable. If you make better choices and eat enough protein the calorie deficit happens naturally if you are overweight. Fixing food relationship and having a lifting lifestyle IS the diet. Calories in v calories out comes with the territory at that point.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
You look way below 22%BF
Unless everyone else just lies about theirs and everyone’s is actually higher than they say 😂

I could still be like 18% it’s just a guess, but my arms and shoulders are looking small for my own standards by comparison and without bigger arms and shoulders, whatever BF% I’m at is less aesthetic than it was when I still had a regular routine. But the difference is I went to the gym yesterday and still was able to work up to a 545 single deadlift and hit a few sets of 10 at 155 on seated overhead press, as the highlights of the session, and the average guy my age, my BF, who didn’t build 15 years of a base of muscle wouldn’t be anywhere close to those numbers. When dad life becomes a bit more manageable and I get into a good routine again, plus have some time for meal prep instead of always eating on the go, I will bounce back very quickly. Maybe not down to 8-10% like I once was, but a comfortable 14% for a 36 year old dad ain’t bad.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
You guys are an inspiration in here. I am in the worst shape of my life at 41, and having a hard time mentally dealing with my deteriorating skills on the rink.

I keep trying to get back on the horse when it comes to working out, but with work, two kids under 5, a house, parents, etc. etc. etc. to deal with, it’s really easy to find excuses.

Gotta get over the hump here.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
You guys are an inspiration in here. I am in the worst shape of my life at 41, and having a hard time mentally dealing with my deteriorating skills on the rink.

I keep trying to get back on the horse when it comes to working out, but with work, two kids under 5, a house, parents, etc. etc. etc. to deal with, it’s really easy to find excuses.

You can use them as excuses or use them as motivation! Don’t you want to be fit to be active and do sports/fun things with your kids as they get older? There are people who let themselves go so badly they can’t even go on vacation or go to Disney with their kids because of all the walking. Or they have to ride around on a scooter lol. And above all to live a long and healthy life to be able to see your kids grow up, to see your grandchildren one day, etc.

Reactions: Cmox and Synergy27

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

Well my first has definitely thrown me for a loop fitness wise. The last 5-6 weeks of pregnancy and especially this first month since he was born, I have barely made it to the gym once a week and my diet, especially this past month, has taken a nose dive. She’s home with the baby all day, I work in the city, leave the house at 7am, get home at 6:15pm, neither one of us want to cook at that point and I’m not prepping heathy stuff to bring to work for lunch either. I try to make healthy choices and say I’ll just grab a protein shake/bar but then inevitably people in the office go for sandwiches or something and I join. My boss said he doesn’t mind if use the time at lunch to go to the gym down the block, so I think I’m going to start banging out a quick 35 minute workout and quick shower every day, which isn’t a great workout but it’s WAY better than going 7+ days between workouts, and that alone should motivate me to eat healthier and also force me to skip the lunches everyone else gets. If I can get a longer workout in on Saturday or Sunday and we start cooking again as we adjust to having Henry in our lives, I think I’ll be okay, but I definitely have had a moment of realization about not letting it slip out of my grasp for too long.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
You can use them as excuses or use them as motivation! Don’t you want to be fit to be active and do sports/fun things with your kids as they get older? There are people who let themselves go so badly they can’t even go on vacation or go to Disney with their kids because of all the walking. Or they have to ride around on a scooter lol. And above all to live a long and healthy life to be able to see your kids grow up, to see your grandchildren one day, etc.
I mean, I’m nowhere near that haha.

Well my first has definitely thrown me for a loop fitness wise. The last 5-6 weeks of pregnancy and especially this first month since he was born, I have barely made it to the gym once a week and my diet, especially this past month, has taken a nose dive. She’s home with the baby all day, I work in the city, leave the house at 7am, get home at 6:15pm, neither one of us want to cook at that point and I’m not prepping heathy stuff to bring to work for lunch either. I try to make healthy choices and say I’ll just grab a protein shake/bar but then inevitably people in the office go for sandwiches or something and I join. My boss said he doesn’t mind if use the time at lunch to go to the gym down the block, so I think I’m going to start banging out a quick 35 minute workout and quick shower every day, which isn’t a great workout but it’s WAY better than going 7+ days between workouts, and that alone should motivate me to eat healthier and also force me to skip the lunches everyone else gets. If I can get a longer workout in on Saturday or Sunday and we start cooking again as we adjust to having Henry in our lives, I think I’ll be okay, but I definitely have had a moment of realization about not letting it slip out of my grasp for too long.
Yeah, I underrated the impact of having kids. I went from playing hockey at least three times a week to now once, maybe twice. I’d love to play more, but like you, I am away all day during the week and really owe it to my wife and kids to spend time with them on the weekends. I’m not one of those guys who works all week and then spends the entire weekend on the golf course or at the bar while my wife raises the kids alone. f*** that noise.

Anyway, I realize that I’m making excuses for myself when it comes to exercise but f*** is life exhausting at this stage!

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
At this point i can only do light neutral grip curls and can barely do a pull-up without the forearm screaming. So I have to work around that doing other back stuff, using versa gripp straps.

I have theraband flexbars, coc grips, I do flossing with a bike tube..trying everything.
Focus on the eccentric/negative on the biceps curls. Doesn't matter heavy or light. Farmers carries would be great too.

I would also get soft tissue work done. See a PT or massage therapist who will actually dig in and loosen up the tight muscles. Not just throw ice and stim on you.

Reactions: DialUp

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Anyway, I realize that I’m making excuses for myself when it comes to exercise but f*** is life exhausting at this stage!
I actually wrote a book about that ;)

I have some clients that work in the city/commute far, have 2-4 kids and they still make time to workout 30-60 minutes at night. Even if they are tired and can't get to the gym until 8 PM. It's too important to them. Too many people think if they don't do that every day then they are failing. You can even start off with one night a week and one morning on the weekend. While we need to provide for our families and spend time with them, we also owe it to them to be our strongest and healthiest.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

I agree. I was just making a point that it all depends on goals.

If you’re trying to lose a bunch of weight for example, diet is most important.

Than maintaining your target weight is something else obviously

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I’m 5’10ish 210ish
View attachment 562113

View attachment 562116

Like OMG guys I got so fat, look how fat I am guys! Don't get as morbidly obese as me!

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Yeah that isn't too long at all. Listen to your body though, there is a difference between good pain and injury pain. I pushed through injury pain thinking I was superman and now I have to deal with bad arthritis and chronic tennis elbow. If it feels wrong, it is wrong! Even at our age, we still have a ton of time left, so make sure your wrist and hand heals properly. PT is good for injuries, and it's a workout in and of itself.
Yeah, I'm taking it slowly. Yesterday was 14 weeks. Probably another week before I try anything.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I decided to join the hook grip mafia. Didnt think I'd be able to do it without massively reducing the weight at which I lift but it was surprisingly easier than I thought.

Hook grip kills my thumbs but I pull some pretty good weight. Hook grip is great for keeping a double overhand, but I can only go to like 70% of my 1RM before my thumbs just can’t take it. It’s easier to just chalk up and go over/under.

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
I’m not reading all of this but as a 6 “6” 245 lb human - who is aging - I can tell you nothing works better for ME than kettlebells & gravel biking .
I ride 100+ miles a week and I follow a KB routine developed for a full body workout.
I ride a Santa Cruz Stigmata and Santa Cruz Hightower mtb.
Purchasing a Ritchey outback in September - Steel.
I had an ifit bike - phenomenal program but cycling inside imo was awful .
Sold it .

IPA & sugar addiction tho often kill my gains .

I also did the 100 sit-up & 100 100 push up 60 day challenge few months ago - trust me - you’ll be shocked @ your progress.

Starting this July 5th

THE 75 HARD CHALLENGE RULES
For 75 days straight, complete all of the following tasks. If you miss doing a task for a day, restart start from day 1.
1. Follow a diet
2. Workout twice a day for at least 45 minutes with one workout outside 3. Drink 4 liters of water per day
4. Read 10 pages of nonfiction each day
5. Take a progress picture each day

This is a mental toughness workout - someone should get this to Kakko.

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
Also a few points of “ trust me advice “
Stretching is vital - so are leg days - to live an active life as we age .

Some of the best mtb’ers I’ve ridden with are 60+ - blow 25 year olds away .

People stopped moving during the pandemic - never mind working out .

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Hook grip kills my thumbs but I pull some pretty good weight. Hook grip is great for keeping a double overhand, but I can only go to like 70% of my 1RM before my thumbs just can’t take it. It’s easier to just chalk up and go over/under.
You guys are too NY TUFF for me. I use straps and proud of it.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
You guys are too NY TUFF for me. I use straps and proud of it.
I’ll train with straps sometimes and definitely for things other than deadlifts. I just don’t often use them with deadlifts because I couldn’t use them in competition. I don’t compete anymore but it’s just habit now.

Like dumbbell rows I’ll do straps sometimes. I’d rather get a better lat workout and not be limited by my grip slipping half way through a set. I can do more good reps with more weight using straps. With 1-3 reps, I like doing it with chalk better. I just carry a tube of liquid chalk in my bag, no mess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad