OT: Summer Fitness Thread

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I do pull-ups daily. Anytime I pass my pullup bar I do a set. Okay, not EVERY time, but it still comes out to anything from 4-12 sets throughout a day, depending how lazy I’m being.

In the gym I superset pull-ups with medicine ball push-ups for a warm up sometimes or incorporate pull-ups into a pyramid style mega set, but I really do them more at hone.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
If done correctly probably the best back exercise...heck one of the best exercises period. Almost has become a fogotten exercise like the dumbbell pullover.

Not if you want a nice beefy serratus :naughty:

Reactions: bl02

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Big cyclist here. No goals really, just try to get out for a ride as much as I can

Attachments

• 89505D6C-1C94-43ED-A1A0-A275660396CB.jpeg
    89505D6C-1C94-43ED-A1A0-A275660396CB.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 14

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Doing physio to recover from my knee injury, it’s expensive and I’m deciding to buy home gym equipment would be the better investment. Any of you guys own a Peloton bike? Bowflex machine? Free weights? What are those of you with a home gyms setups? What do you recommend?

I have absolute freak genetics and put on muscle ridiculously easy. But I’m not very tall and have the face of a 12 year old so I prefer to be slim as bulky muscles look weird on me. I also feel I play hockey better at a lighter weight. I love the feeling of lifting, but I need to do a lot of cardio to ensure I don’t get bulky

Bricho

Jan 23, 2013
Doing physio to recover from my knee injury, it’s expensive and I’m deciding to buy home gym equipment would be the better investment. Any of you guys own a Peloton bike? Bowflex machine? Free weights? What are those of you with a home gyms setups? What do you recommend?

I have absolute freak genetics and put on muscle ridiculously easy. But I’m not very tall and have the face of a 12 year old so I prefer to be slim as bulky muscles look weird on me. I also feel I play hockey better at a lighter weight. I love the feeling of lifting, but I need to do a lot of cardio to ensure I don’t get bulky

I’m a big believer in rowing machines…. First, it’s a total body workout and the variety of workouts you can do is surprisingly large. For example, some days I’ll take it easy and do low heart rate steady state rows, and other days I’ll really push it doing peak HR intervals. It’s up to you and what you need. Depending on which one you get they don’t have that large of a footprint as you can see from the picture below.

I have a Concept 2 and it’s generally accepted these are top of the line but Hydrows are also excellent and interactive.
B5EA8854-7F7E-4AE3-A6AE-CFA461C14322.jpeg

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
www.kropptops.com

If this is not allowed on the site then delete....having a Black Friday sale for my gym shirt company. Put my Christmas shirts and Ugly Sweaters back up. Feel free to share with friends and family!

Reactions: Filip Chytil

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Thursday evening was the first time I ran since late-September when I got covid. I was told roughly 8 weeks of very light lifting and absolutely no running. So far so good. Around 6.5 miles over two days.

Glutes and calves are where it's impacted me the most. Endurance is no issue. If all goes well and I have no issues, the goal is to be where I was this past summer which is around the 10-12 mile mark. I'd like to do a half marathon next summer.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I heard about this. I also heard it's the best workout. I guess maybe I should look into a lifting class.

CrossFit is great for people whose goal is to tone up or lose weight. It would be tough to put on a substantial amount of muscle doing cross fit. There’s certain modes of lifting that achieve certain goals. Strength, power, hypertrophy (muscle growth) all have different rep ranges and modes that are effective. The big muscular CrossFit athletes that you see lift in other disciplines like Olympic lifting or body/power building on the side in order to be bigger/stronger when they compete in CrossFit. They don’t build muscle doing CrossFit. As a beginner you could build SOME, absolutely. But overall it’s pretty low on the muscle building efficacy spectrum.

Reactions: Chytilmania

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
CrossFit is great for people whose goal is to tone up or lose weight. It would be tough to put on a substantial amount of muscle doing cross fit. There’s certain modes of lifting that achieve certain goals. Strength, power, hypertrophy (muscle growth) all have different rep ranges and modes that are effective. The big muscular CrossFit athletes that you see lift in other disciplines like Olympic lifting or body/power building on the side in order to be bigger/stronger when they compete in CrossFit. They don’t build muscle doing CrossFit. As a beginner you could build SOME, absolutely. But overall it’s pretty low on the muscle building efficacy spectrum.

Thanks.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
You’ve already lost a lot of weight and are on the slight side. You would do very well right now with a traditional 4 day body building split. You’re not looking for performance and the ability to crank out 20 pull-ups or be an agility or endurance athlete so you don’t really need a lot of sport specific or high intensity exercise. You’re looking to fill out your sleeves and the chest of your shirt a bit. A standard body building split with high-ish (good quality) calories will serve you very well. As you go, if you gain a little bloat along the way (it’s very tough to add bulk without gaining some unwanted weight) you can start to incorporate some high intensity exercises as either warm ups or burn outs to help with a bit more metabolic activation during your gym sessions.

Once you have added some decent muscle, switching to a group workout like CrossFit will be a great way to stay motivated (group setting/friendly competition) tone up the new muscle gains, maintain the new muscle and stay in generally great shape.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Most of the people who compete in the cross fit games (or are top cross fit athletes in general) were either powerlifters or D1 athletes prior to getting into cross fit. If you look at them and think "Oh shit! That could be me!" Well, they already had a really strong base to start from prior to getting into cross fit.

I don't want to bag on Cross fit all around as I think some of their concepts are solid and metabolic conditioning is great (when done correctly) but on the whole I'd strongly advise against ANYTHING that pushes you to perform olympic lifts for high volume+as little time as possible. Really easy way to get hurt, especially if you don't have proper coaching and even in those cases, its still a bad idea.

You'll get in phenomenal shape, some of the savagery their top performers can pull off is straight up insane, but the risk/reward ratio just isn't worth it IMO.

Plus their pull ups are f***ing stupid.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Most of the people who compete in the cross fit games (or are top cross fit athletes in general) were either powerlifters or D1 athletes prior to getting into cross fit. If you look at them and think "Oh shit! That could be me!" Well, they already had a really strong base to start from prior to getting into cross fit.

I don't want to bag on Cross fit all around as I think some of their concepts are solid and metabolic conditioning is great (when done correctly) but on the whole I'd strongly advise against ANYTHING that pushes you to perform olympic lifts for high volume+as little time as possible. Really easy way to get hurt, especially if you don't have proper coaching and even in those cases, its still a bad idea.

You'll get in phenomenal shape, some of the savagery their top performers can pull off is straight up insane, but the risk/reward ratio just isn't worth it IMO.

Basically. You’re doing Olympic movements with low-moderate weight (as a beginner) but for high volume. If this is also your introduction to the Olympic lifts, that’s a recipe for failure. I agree with everything you said about sound concepts and the metabolic conditioning benefits, but my opinion has always been that if you’re a beginner and trying to get in shape you could achieve the same thing with box jumps, wall balls, med ball slams, farmer carries, burpees, etc. and never touch a barbell… thus removing virtually 99% of the injury risk. Doing circuit training with this stuff 4-5 days a week will undoubtedly help you lean down and tone up.

But like I said, to add size, it’s not very efficient. As a totally raw beginner you may, but the cap on that is pretty low. If you want to learn Olympic lifts in a slow, one rep at a time, controlled environment, that’s a good way to eventually build size and strength and then, of course, you could transfer those skills over to safely do cross fit at a more advanced level and have a pretty nice physique. But if you don’t already have a pretty strong clean, deadlift, OHP, etc. you’re not going to gain size doing CrossFit and you very well may get hurt. If you’re not specifically wanting to compete or be an efficient CrossFitter, most body building splits will be more than adequate for simply adding some thickness to your lats, some size to your shoulders and some inches on your arms.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

One of the hockey teams I play on has several people who do CrossFit and I assumed they'd be in amazing shape but they're gassed like rookie season Kakko after every shift, I play center and basically just stay on while the wingers change so I'm on the ice for about 2/3 of the game so that others don't have to play tired, and I often play back to back games in different leagues an hour or two apart. I know some chick who does CrossFit too and she's kinda fat. I have absolutely no idea what CrossFit is but from my experience the people who do it aren't in phenomenal shape lmao

I wasn't working out at all aside from playing lots of hockey, then I injured my knee and now I got some adjustable dumbbells and a peloton to rehab and get in shape before returning to hockey. A lot of people hate working out, I think team sports are the best form of cardio for the majority of people

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
One of the hockey teams I play on has several people who do CrossFit and I assumed they'd be in amazing shape but they're gassed like rookie season Kakko after every shift, I play center and basically just stay on while the wingers change so I'm on the ice for about 2/3 of the game so that others don't have to play tired, and I often play back to back games in different leagues an hour or two apart. I know some chick who does CrossFit too and she's kinda fat. I have absolutely no idea what CrossFit is but from my experience the people who do it aren't in phenomenal shape lmao

I wasn't working out at all aside from playing lots of hockey, then I injured my knee and now I got some adjustable dumbbells and a peloton to rehab and get in shape before returning to hockey. A lot of people hate working out, I think team sports are the best form of cardio for the majority of people

Well hockey cardio is a different beast. When I was scoring 100 on my military PT Test and running my 1.5 mile in under 9 minutes, I was still gassed on the ice if I hadn’t been playing regularly. I agree hockey is the best form of regular cardio for me, when I play 4-5 days a week, but snowblind asked about putting on mass, so cardio (and CrossFit) won’t do much there.

CrossFit is a commercial idea. It’s just taking high intensity “functional” exercise routines and restructuring it into friendly/competitive group sessions and charging an ungodly amount for it. I can “do CrossFit” in my gym all by myself. I can go set up a bar with 135lbs for cleans, grab myself a 25lb med ball, a 65lb kettlebell and do 5 rounds of 10 cleans, 15 KB swings, 20 ball slams and 25 push-ups and time myself. That’s “CrossFit”. Except it’s not because it’s not in a group setting and I’m not a member of a CrossFit gym. So instead it’s just called metabolic conditioning/functional fitness/circuit training, etc.

So you can be in or out of shape and “do CrossFit”. It depends on the weights you choose, how hard you push yourself, etc. You can choose challenging weights, push a challenging tempo for the entire workout, push yourself to do each workout faster than the last time you did it and get in pretty good shape. Or you can choose weights that aren’t challenged enough, go at a pace that isn’t truly pushing you, take breaks, skip reps and basically see no changes. Plus you won’t out train a really bad diet. If you’re naturally thin no matter what you eat, that doesn’t apply but for anyone else, if your diet is trash you’re not going to see much results. So CrossFit people can be in exceptional shape or be completely average. It completely depends on how much they put into it and how disciplined they are. And of course, a really good/serious CrossFit athlete will do Olympic or powerlifting on the side and be significantly stronger and more skilled in the lifts they’re doing than someone who only does CrossFit.

If you can squat 405x10, deadlift 600+, clean 315+, etc. you’re going to be a much better CrossFit athlete than if you can barely squat 225 for reps and don’t know how to really perform a clean properly, let alone with significant weight on the bar.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017

Yeah when they do timed workouts like 20 DL, 1 mile run, 20 burpees, 1 mile bike, 20 more DL or Snatches. Way too many reps for these movements, plus all the cardio in between. Form will be SHIT. Those workouts never make any sense.

I also don't like any type of workout where you don't track weights/progress and do whatever the class does.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017

Depending on the sport and the athlete, the majority of the conditioning work should come from practice and playing the sport. A lot of athletes are very under muscled which will make them tired too.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
@Loki Dog 74 or any meat heads ever use Eccentric Hooks for training?

I’m honored and insulted that you think I’m a meathead. And now I want these, really badly. My bench is my “weak” lift. Squatting 450-500, deadlift is stalled between 585 and 625 and bench is lagging FAR behind, probably barely at 275 for a single right now. I also haven’t been training much with the pregnant wife and now the baby. My deadlift just stays whether I’m training or not. My squat also holds pretty fast at a 405 minimum, so it comes back quickly. My bench never got strong enough to have that luxury. I’d love if my gym had these. I might have to rig something up or use bands and have a friend take them off.

Reactions: Chytilmania

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I’m honored and insulted that you think I’m a meathead. And now I want these, really badly. My bench is my “weak” lift. Squatting 450-500, deadlift is stalled between 585 and 625 and bench is lagging FAR behind, probably barely at 275 for a single right now. I also haven’t been training much with the pregnant wife and now the baby. My deadlift just stays whether I’m training or not. My squat also holds pretty fast at a 405 minimum, so it comes back quickly. My bench never got strong enough to have that luxury. I’d love if my gym had these. I might have to rig something up or use bands and have a friend take them off.
When I open up my gym the end of this year I'll let you come in for a guest workout. I will have plenty of toys.

Reactions: LokiDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad