OT: Summer Fitness Thread

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Also a few points of “ trust me advice “
Stretching is vital - so are leg days - to live an active life as we age .

Some of the best mtb’ers I’ve ridden with are 60+ - blow 25 year olds away .

People stopped moving during the pandemic - never mind working out .

I agree with legs and strength training in general being vital. I’m 8-9 inches shorter than you and only 35lbs lighter, but I don’t have a gut. I do have 100lb quads though

Hard 75 would be a good routine for a lot of our guys. The versions I’ve seen of hard 75 are harder… too stringent for me, but I like the one you posted. The ones I saw all had like no alcohol or sugar for 75 days, etc. As a dad and husband going on 36… I’m not going 75 days without a drink here or there haha like you said, IPAs and sugar.

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
I agree with legs and strength training in general being vital. I’m 8-9 inches shorter than you and only 35lbs lighter, but I don’t have a gut. I do have 100lb quads though

Hard 75 would be a good routine for a lot of our guys. The versions I’ve seen of hard 75 are harder… too stringent for me, but I like the one you posted. The ones I saw all had like no alcohol or sugar for 75 days, etc. As a dad and husband going on 36… I’m not going 75 days without a drink here or there haha like you said, IPAs and sugar.
About 5 years ago I gave up sugar dairy carbs for 18 weeks + did cross fit & walking .
Dropped nearly 30 lbs .
It was extreme to say the least .

I ended up in a knee brace from a severe bone bruise from the daily jumping .
Took nearly 8 months to heel .

Overtraining is also a major cause for workout / diet failure.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
About 5 years ago I gave up sugar dairy carbs for 18 weeks + did cross fit & walking .
Dropped nearly 30 lbs .
It was extreme to say the least .

I ended up in a knee brace from a severe bone bruise from the daily jumping .
Took nearly 8 months to heel .

Overtraining is also a major cause for workout / diet failure.
Ngl I am a total “broscience” guy who doesn’t give a f*** about conventional wisdom or what “experts” say, but I can’t for the life of me comprehend keto/cutting carbs being a good diet.

Carbs are energy and any athlete needs that, I always see fatsos trying to diet by cutting carbs and they are just in a terrible mood the whole time and are lazy af and can barely exercise. I think carbs are good for you and fuel great workouts

Reactions: bl02

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Ngl I am a total “broscience” guy who doesn’t give a f*** about conventional wisdom or what “experts” say, but I can’t for the life of me comprehend keto/cutting carbs being a good diet.

Carbs are energy and any athlete needs that, I always see fatsos trying to diet by cutting carbs and they are just in a terrible mood the whole time and are lazy af and can barely exercise. I think carbs are good for you and fuel great workouts
Cutting carbs is fine in SHORT moderation (a few days here and there), but yea, I would never recommend doing it for weeks at a time.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021

I saw a woman lose 100+ lbs in 12 months by eating palm sized meals 7 of them .
No fruit
No weights
No gym
10k steps max a day was required but no more .
The science was / is - working out creates food cravings .

Nov 5, 2007
Jersey City
Hook grip kills my thumbs but I pull some pretty good weight. Hook grip is great for keeping a double overhand, but I can only go to like 70% of my 1RM before my thumbs just can’t take it. It’s easier to just chalk up and go over/under.

Yeah I just don't like doing reps with the mixed grip, and my standard grip just isn't keeping up with the rest of my body. I feel more "symmetrical" with a double overhand. Heavy singles I'll mix as my thumbs probably wont handle.

Reactions: LokiDog

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I was never one of those guys who enjoyed the burn. Sure, felt great after, but I needed some strong motivator to push 3 solid sets of whatever I was going at that time. For the most part I was in ok shape aka not fat, based on intermittent fasting (I ate crap during my eating period but it worked). Then 8 months ago at 36 I started to put the pounds on. I became stricter with timing of food but it didn’t help. I knew I’d have to make a change and start working out.

I kept it simple and did 3 sets of push-ups and sit-ups daily, with one more set in the evening. I really got results, and started eating way healthier as well. But three sets was a lot, and I found myself dreading the work out and started skipping days and being lazy. I then happened to read an article online that said a good alternative to the three set method (with not quite the same results, but still very good) is to do one set of maximum reps. Instead of doing 3 sets up 75 push-ups (the second set was the worst to get though lol) I now do one set of 175 until my arms chest and shoulders feel like they’re going to fall off. Do the same for sit ups (much lower amount though). I’m motivated to get this done daily, I continue to get into better shape, am encouraged to continue eating healthy, and most importantly, feel great. I have my cheat meals (pizza and fries), but try to keep the protein high (lots of chicken and meat), lots of veggies, and minimal sugar and carbs (but no zero by any means). My kids now eat way more veggies too seeing Daddy eat healthier and get muscles lol.

That’s my ‘I’m getting old’ story :)

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017

Carbs are overrated. Even some athletes overdo it. If you are sub 10% body fat then you will do really well with carbs. If you need to get leaner and/or have blood sugar issues then you don't want to have too many carbs. Someone who has a spare tire, love handles, tits on their back, they need to really decrease carbs and lower their blood sugar. If I increase carbs I get sleepy, and I've used a Continuous Glucose Monitor to track blood sugar. I don't do well on carbs despite being 200 lbs 12-13% body and train hard consistently. I'll put on size quickly but my gut follows.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Carbs are overrated. Even some athletes overdo it. If you are sub 10% body fat then you will do really well with carbs. If you need to get leaner and/or have blood sugar issues then you don't want to have too many carbs. Someone who has a spare tire, love handles, tits on their back, they need to really decrease carbs and lower their blood sugar. If I increase carbs I get sleepy, and I've used a Continuous Glucose Monitor to track blood sugar. I don't do well on carbs despite being 200 lbs 12-13% body and train hard consistently. I'll put on size quickly but my gut follows.

I am the same. When I was super lean, carbs could fuel a great pump because you get a nice full muscle belly as opposed to the more flat, dehydrated look I normally had, but once I increase carbs beyond maybe 30% I put on weight/bloat fast and if I want to lean back down, from where I currently am for instance, decreasing carbs will be one of the first things I do.

Reactions: Chytilmania

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I am the same. When I was super lean, carbs could fuel a great pump because you get a nice full muscle belly as opposed to the more flat, dehydrated look I normally had, but once I increase carbs beyond maybe 30% I put on weight/bloat fast and if I want to lean back down, from where I currently am for instance, decreasing carbs will be one of the first things I do.
Only time I have success with carbs is carb cycling. 50 low, 100-120 M and 200-300 H.

When trying to lean out and doing more reps I’ll just do extra carbs on tough leg days. During the pandemic when I start measuring blood sugar I was 100 in the morning which is pre diabetic I finally got that normalized under 90. Still shooting for 75 when I wake up but haven’t tracked in a while. My friends or clients who routinely wake up 70-80 can handle a ton of carbs.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Hey throwing this out there for the Long Islanders who like to workout…

I opened up a gym in Garden City and I’m hosting a few classes on weekends. I have two Modified Strongman classes that are super fun and great cardio. For the true meatheads I have an ARMageddon class where we do all Bis and Tris. Hit me up if interested!

Reactions: will1066

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I have to say, I've really tried to approach health and fitness differently this year. Finding a few key things on youtube completely changed my approach. This guy's channel has easily made the biggest impact. The food is delicious and the calories/protein per serving is phenomenal. Usually 500-600 calories with 45+ grams of protein.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I have to say, I've really tried to approach health and fitness differently this year. Finding a few key things on youtube completely changed my approach. This guy's channel has easily made the biggest impact. The food is delicious and the calories/protein per serving is phenomenal. Usually 500-600 calories with 45+ grams of protein.

Thanks for posting Gardner.

Having a meal plan makes all the difference

Thats a good channel thanks

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I went on a lifestyle nutrition consumption change midway through January because I’ve been steadily gaining pounds over the last three years that got me over 20 lbs from where I was in the summer of 2020 but primarily because I started having all types of physical issues primarily related to what seemed like continuous inflammations. No matter how much I exercised I wasn’t able to take control of my weight or physical or mental health in general.

So where am I today just about 6 weeks in. While I’m not overly strict about it - like I’m not counting every last calorie or milligram of sugar - my goal was and I was able to significantly reduce sugar, starch and processed grains. I’m feeling much better, more energetic, better sleep and mental state and I was able to get halfway to my weight target at which point I will try to add back some healthy grains like buckwheat and quinoa etc.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I went on a lifestyle nutrition consumption change midway through January because I’ve been steadily gaining pounds over the last three years that got me over 20 lbs from where I was in the summer of 2020 but primarily because I started having all types of physical issues primarily related to what seemed like continuous inflammations. No matter how much I exercised I wasn’t able to take control of my weight or physical or mental health in general.

So where am I today just about 6 weeks in. While I’m not overly strict about it - like I’m not counting every last calorie or milligram of sugar - my goal was and I was able to significantly reduce sugar, starch and processed grains. I’m feeling much better, more energetic, better sleep and mental state and I was able to get halfway to my weight target at which point I will try to add back some healthy grains like buckwheat and quinoa etc.

We do this at the beginning of the new year every year because the holidays are just jam packed with goodies.

The improved sleep is the best benefit. I’ll lose anywhere between 5-7 lbs but that would have probably come off anyway.

Quinoa+chicken+guac is a banging meal.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Just like to add...

I recommend changing out the Chicken Breasts for Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs.

Way more forgiving with potential overcooking and they will still be juicy and succulent compared to even slightly overcooked chikcen breast.

Not as lean as breast but thighs taste so much better to me and even the boneless/skinless ones are cheaper per pound than breasts, i believe.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Just like to add...

I recommend changing out the Chicken Breasts for Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs.

Way more forgiving with potential overcooking and they will still be juicy and succulent compared to even slightly overcooked chikcen breast.

Not as lean as breast but thighs taste so much better to me and even the boneless/skinless ones are cheaper per pound than breasts, i believe.
How do you cook yours? Any brands people recommend? I hit my short term goal but would like to drop another 5-10 if possible.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
How do you cook yours? Any brands people recommend? I hit my short term goal but would like to drop another 5-10 if possible.

I love Trader Joes' chicken personally.

If I am cooking quick, I will cube the chicken thighs and season them with Dano's Chiptole seasoning and Chilli powder and some avocado oil and sear it on cast iron skillet, even non-stick pan works. Like in video below.

If I have more time, I will marinade them for a few hours or overnight and cook them whole, this recipe is really good, I've made it a bunch of times and always love it.

Other marinades like a greek one with olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, oregano, salt, pepper in a ziplock bag and then sear them on cast iron, comes out as close to them being grilled as you can with out a grill.

There are healthier options but these work for me, i can cook the right portions for me and since it's a lot of protein im consuming, i stay full very long and don't get hungry as fast

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I love Trader Joes' chicken personally.

If I am cooking quick, I will cube the chicken thighs and season them with Dano's Chiptole seasoning and Chilli powder and some avocado oil and sear it on cast iron skillet, even non-stick pan works. Like in video below.

If I have more time, I will marinade them for a few hours or overnight and cook them whole, this recipe is really good, I've made it a bunch of times and always love it.

Other marinades like a greek one with olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, oregano, salt, pepper in a ziplock bag and then sear them on cast iron, comes out as close to them being grilled as you can with out a grill.

There are healthier options but these work for me, i can cook the right portions for me and since it's a lot of protein im consuming, i stay full very long and don't get hungry as fast

Thank you!

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I do mine two ways:
1) Primal Kitchen Buffalo sauce
2) olive oil and generous amounts of lemon pepper seasoning

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad