Speculation: Summer 2018 General Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
You can you keep riding that "Portzline is a legit insider" train as long as you want. He has no sources in FO, period. And will have even less after his overblown reports on Panarin that hurts his potential trade value for FO.
Portzline is able to reach out directly to coaches, the GM, and agents. When he poses a direct quote or names a source, he's pretty reliable. When he speculates or goes with unnamed sources I have doubts.

We know who is going to take over the #6 and #7 spots on defense. That's Harrington, Kukan, and Carlsson battling it out.

But who fills out our bottom-6? I don't think Milano fits here. If he's going to grow, he needs top-6 NHL time (I'd say top-6 AHL time but unfortunately the games I watched him in Cleveland he looks just like when he is getting ~5 minutes on the Jackets 4th line and is invisible).

Davidsson? Didn't look great in prospects camp but that doesn't mean much. Robinson? Someone else?

I'd like to take another flyer on Dano if we can.

Reactions: Viqsi and CBJFan827

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Interesting so per the calculator he's saving around 100-200K with Colorado taxes compared to Ohio.
Per year yeah, if it's on the same AAV, let's "believe Portz" and substract those additional 250K then even more. He collected "only"~3,5M in salary in last 3 years with Pens. Before that he was on 100K-700K AAV for 5 years.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
But who fills out our bottom-6? I don't think Milano fits here. If he's going to grow, he needs top-6 NHL time .

I want him getting at least 10 minutes, but "top 6 minutes" is kind of meaningless when the third line usually plays the same minutes as the second. And Milano does get PP time on the second unit.

You're certainly not the only one to balk at Milano in the bottom six, but these days scorers belong on every line. If you have a line that is all checking forwards, it's probably a bad line.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Yes , but you remember Calvert in tears after the last game , and his conversations with the media , in the interviews following that game ?
A year from now I'm going to be moving away from Columbus for career reasons as well. Tears will be shed, but that doesn't mean I'm not excited for the opportunity.

Reactions: MoeBartoli and Monk

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
And they have weed.

Which lead me to remind myself of the NHL's policy...

An NHLPA spokesperson - who spoke with Civilized on the condition of not being quoted - said that the league does not condone marijuana. However, it is not part of the NHL's testing for performance-enhancing substances. When testing players each season, one third (which is no fewer than 200 athletes) are randomly selected to be screened for stimulants like amphetamines, narcotics like cocaine, and cannabinoids such as marijuana and hash.
Players aren't identified - regardless of the results. And those who who test positive aren't disciplined. Instead, the anonymous stats are presented to the NHL and NHLPA's Performance Enhancing Substances Program Committee for review so that they can decide how to handle testing moving forward.
However, if a player is found to have a dangerously high level of a narcotic or cannabinoid, he is subject to mandatory assessment by doctors working for the NHL and NHLPA's Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program. Those doctors could decide to refer him to mandatory substance-abuse treatment. The assessment and referral aren't meant to be disciplinary procedures, but they are mandatory.
/QUOTE]

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
So it will be interesting to see what the next contracts of Jenner and Murray look like, I don't think we qualified either of them.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
A year from now I'm going to be moving away from Columbus for career reasons as well. Tears will be shed, but that doesn't mean I'm not excited for the opportunity.
I think many here are forgetting about the toilet seat comment , which was beyond unprofessional. And Torts player utilization

Calvert said Tuesday "the only thing that was up and down like a toilet seat was my time on ice. I'd play 15 minutes one game, then eight the next game. ... If he wants to talk about a toilet seat going up and down, maybe he keeps my minutes more steady

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I said it at the end of the year before the playoffs started, around the time the "chicken littles" were coming to terms that they were wrong about the playoffs. The CBJ need to make it to the conference finals before they will be given ANY credit from the naysayers. Whether they are CBJ "fans" or PIT/TOR "fans". A sweep or 5-game win this year in the 1st round would've opened some eyes for sure, but a "common" idea was that the winner of WAS/CBJ was just going to lose to PIT anyway, and/or have no chance against TB.

I'm not sure what I'm "expecting" to change.

There was an EXTREME BIPOLAR attitude/mindset (50% of people it seems) in 85% of the GDT's throughout the year. Whether the team was playing good or bad. Also, the idea of playing good and losing, or playing bad and winning is seemingly missed by MANY people here. IMO they don't and can't "get it", because they have never gone through anything on the ice. There's a difference between simply BEING a fan, and thinking you know MORE while BEING a fan.

Too many things here that are treated as linear, or "black and white", simply aren't. Whether its potential or growth, chemistry, "fit", or in regards to a team or player playing good or bad or BEING good or bad. TOO MUCH focus is put on the results, but WHY THEY OCCURED is either ignored, forgotten, or (IMO) many times NOT EVEN realized.

On here before, a lot of time was spent attempting to show or "prove" to other teams fans that the CBJ were "not that bad", or "potentially good". And, most of the time, it WAS NOT easy to make a case. NOW, most of the time on here we have CBJ "fans" attempting to show or "prove" to OTHER CBJ (or even opposing teams) fans that the CBJ are "not that good" or "potentially bad". Even though THE STATS/NUMBERS/FACTS over the last 2 years, have made it a not very easy case to make, it (clearly) does not stop the 'Baker's Dozen'.

(Please feel free to refer to any 'CBJ-negative' CBJ fan as part of or the 'Baker's Dozen)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Also with Jenner I think the stick change is simple but huge. Sure Vanek came in and helped that line but changing sticks allowed him to make and recieve passes which was likely a huge confidence boost. I dont expect 30 ever again but I expect the Jenner from the 2nd half of the season vs the one from the 1st half.
Jenner-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand has a lot of potential in my eyes

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Also with Jenner I think the stick change is simple but huge. Sure Vanek came in and helped that line but changing sticks allowed him to make and recieve passes which was likely a huge confidence boost. I dont expect 30 ever again but I expect the Jenner from the 2nd half of the season vs the one from the 1st half.
Jenner-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand has a lot of potential in my eyes
Jenner has started very slow the last 2 years. He needs to fix that.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm more worried about the defensive play than the offensive play.

Players I'd gave >50% chance of scoring more goals next year than they did last year: Dubois, Atkinson, Jenner, Wennberg, Bjorkstrand, Anderson, Dubinsky, Hannikainen, + all top 6 D-men. *(This is assuming a lineup with Milano on the 4th line). There's potential for a significant increase in goals.

The defensive game, meanwhile, is trending poorly. The high-danger chances against are way too high - and being covered up by Vezina level goaltending.

Reactions: We Want Ten

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I said it at the end of the year before the playoffs started, around the time the "chicken littles" were coming to terms that they were wrong about the playoffs. The CBJ need to make it to the conference finals before they will be given ANY credit from the naysayers. Whether they are CBJ "fans" or PIT/TOR "fans". A sweep or 5-game win this year in the 1st round would've opened some eyes for sure, but a "common" idea was that the winner of WAS/CBJ was just going to lose to PIT anyway, and/or have no chance against TB.

I'm not sure what I'm "expecting" to change.

There was an EXTREME BIPOLAR attitude/mindset (50% of people it seems) in 85% of the GDT's throughout the year. Whether the team was playing good or bad. Also, the idea of playing good and losing, or playing bad and winning is seemingly missed by MANY people here. IMO they don't and can't "get it", because they have never gone through anything on the ice. There's a difference between simply BEING a fan, and thinking you know MORE while BEING a fan.

Too many things here that are treated as linear, or "black and white", simply aren't. Whether its potential or growth, chemistry, "fit", or in regards to a team or player playing good or bad or BEING good or bad. TOO MUCH focus is put on the results, but WHY THEY OCCURED is either ignored, forgotten, or (IMO) many times NOT EVEN realized.

On here before, a lot of time was spent attempting to show or "prove" to other teams fans that the CBJ were "not that bad", or "potentially good". And, most of the time, it WAS NOT easy to make a case. NOW, most of the time on here we have CBJ "fans" attempting to show or "prove" to OTHER CBJ (or even opposing teams) fans that the CBJ are "not that good" or "potentially bad". Even though THE STATS/NUMBERS/FACTS over the last 2 years, have made it a not very easy case to make, it (clearly) does not stop the 'Baker's Dozen'.

(Please feel free to refer to any 'CBJ-negative' CBJ fan as part of or the 'Baker's Dozen)
jackie-chan-dafuq-meme.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad