Speculation: Summer 2018 General Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So who is 2nd line LW as things stand now? Foligno I presume. Jenner on the 3rd line. Milano on the 4th where he seems ill suited.

This position is the one where the Jackets are most discombobulated imo.

Maybe the other R Nash can be had on a one year deal now that he has expressed reservations about playing at all?

Anthony Duclair is still available as far as I know. Seems he would be a good risk.

I have doubts that Duclair, or even Rick Nash, would outscore Jenner and Foligno as 2LW. You can't go wrong with Rick Nash and all around play though.

Jenner fits well with Wennberg so they should stay together. It's not "who is the best player" but "where does the player play best".

I don't know if Milano is actually ill-suited for 4th line duty. Last year when he would bounce into the lineup on some scratch line he would score immediately, but then when the coach tried to give him a permanent setup with decent linemates (Foligno and Bjorkstrand for awhile) he would go cold. If the 4th line is something like Milano-Dubinsky-Hannikainen, they could hopefully garner a solid 11 minutes per game, and in that situation I see no problem for Milano. 5 minutes a night would not be good, I agree.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Where do get that we were offering 4M and longer term? Portzline?

We were offering 4 x 4 and Colorado gave him 4.25 x 3. Like Calvert, JJ, and possibly Vanek, I suspect that Cole wanted to go somewhere he'd be guaranteed of a solid place in the lineup. Columbus is deeper and has a coach noted for making players fight for ice time.

For all the boo-hooing on this board the Jackets have been a deep squad, injuries aside.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Cant belive Cole went to Colorade for $0,25 mill more and a , shorter term lol. Was hoping we would sign him but if thats how he wants it , good riddance!!

Scratching my head on this one as well... :huh:

Real life side note: I do prefer Denver to Columbus... can't beat that scenery in Colorado ;)

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
So who is 2nd line LW as things stand now? Foligno I presume. Jenner on the 3rd line. Milano on the 4th where he seems ill suited.

This position is the one where the Jackets are most discombobulated imo.

Maybe the other R Nash can be had on a one year deal now that he has expressed reservations about playing at all?

Anthony Duclair is still available as far as I know. Seems he would be a good risk.

I’d go with this:

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
Foligno-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Milano-Nash-Anderson
Jenner-Dubinsky-Davidsson/Nash (if he’d like to sign a 1-year deal)

I just think we need to upgrade on Foligno at 2LW. Maybe Jenner++ can be used to pry Zucker out of Minnesota.

Edit: also....I want no part of seeing Markus Hannikainen in the lineup. There are better options.

Last edited:

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
As of now, we're probably looking at something like:

Panarin-PLD-Atkinson
Foligno-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
X-Nash-Anderson
X-X-X
Extra: X

With Jenner, Dubinsky, Sedlak, Milano, Hannikainen, Robinson, etc competing for those last 4-5 roster spots. Milano might be interesting with Nash and Anderson, but he'll have to earn his spot if the hype around Eric Robinson and JD has legs. Should be an interesting training camp.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Jenner and Dubinsky should never again be on the same line together. They really brought each other down.

Use the "line tool" at the site "natural stat trick" if you want to know what guys did in combination with each other. One general observation is that our heavy players don't complement each other well.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I have doubts that Duclair, or even Rick Nash, would outscore Jenner and Foligno as 2LW. You can't go wrong with Rick Nash and all around play though.

Take away Foligno's pp goals and he is a mid-teen goal scorer.Based on our pp I don't think we can count on those goals. Jenner's 30 goal season appears to be an outlier. I think Duclair would add speed to the 2nd line and have more long term potential to become a mid 20's goal scorer than either of the other two. Assumes he is a Torts kind of guy which I'm not sure of.

Jenner fits well with Wennberg so they should stay together. It's not "who is the best player" but "where does the player play best".

How's the fit without Vanek? Until he showed up I didn't notice any great chemistry there. Also I'd rather see Jenner or Foligno on the 3rd with Nash & Anderson.

I don't know if Milano is actually ill-suited for 4th line duty. Last year when he would bounce into the lineup on some scratch line he would score immediately, but then when the coach tried to give him a permanent setup with decent linemates (Foligno and Bjorkstrand for awhile) he would go cold. If the 4th line is something like Milano-Dubinsky-Hannikainen, they could hopefully garner a solid 11 minutes per game, and in that situation I see no problem for Milano. 5 minutes a night would not be good, I agree.

Milano definitely an enigma. I think his two biggest problems are his lack of physicality and Torts. Definitely needs to play more.

See expanded quote for my responses to your points.

I think the overriding issue here is we have a bunch of guys that are always playing either up or down a line from where they best fit. That and Torts' utilization.

Last edited:

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
What are people’s thoughts on bringing in Orpik on a 1-year deal? He could probably be had for cheap, and would serve as an insurance policy if Z isn’t ready to go in October. He’d add more NHL depth. I’m not a big fan of Harrington, and I think Carlsson might need some more time in the AHL to develop.

Murray-Jones
Nuti-Savard
Orpik-Kukan

Then

Z-Jones
Nuti-Savard
Orpik-Murray

I like the idea of splitting up Murray and Nuti in this case, it gives each pair a defenseman who can effectively move the puck.

Reactions: CBJFan827

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
What are people’s thoughts on bringing in Orpik on a 1-year deal? He could probably be had for cheap, and would serve as an insurance policy if Z isn’t ready to go in October. He’d add more NHL depth. I’m not a big fan of Harrington, and I think Carlsson might need some more time in the AHL to develop.
I support this and agree on Carlsson/Harrington. It can't hurt on a one year deal.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
See expanded quote for my responses to your points.

"Take away Foligno's pp goals and he is a mid-teen goal scorer. Jenner's 30 goal season appears to be an outlier. I think Duclair would add speed tot he 2nd line and have more long term potential to become a mid 20's goal scorer than either of the other two. Assumes he is a Torts kind of guy which I'm not sure of."

A mid-teen goal scorer at evens is pretty good actually. Each year there's only about 20 guys in the league who score more than 20 goals at 5v5. 15 at 5v5 is what Rick Nash did, and more than most expect from Duclair. I'm intrigued by Duclair, but not more than Milano.

"How's the fit without Vanek? Until he showed up I didn't notice any great chemistry there. Also I'd rather see Jenner or Foligno on th e3rd with Nash & Anderson."

See for yourself. Jenner and Wennberg look average low event with each other, except when Bjorkstrand is there when they look much better, or Vanek when they are phenomenal. Interestingly, Wennberg and Vanek couldn't do a thing right without Jenner. Whatever you do don't put Jenner with Foligno or Anderson. Foligno was +14 in the combos without Jenner, and -7 with him.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Seems like something is not right in our organization right now , whether it’s Torts , or the front office. We have Panarin come out and say he’s not ready to look at long term contract, and wants to see the direction of the team . You have the front office coming out and saying they wanted to work things out with Calvert, and he felt it was the right time for a new direction , we have Cole choosing the Avalanche for just a hair bit more money , but less term , we have the jack Johnson situation where another Gm alledges performance wasn’t the issue , and Torts goes on a f bomb tirade in the media . The Cole situation is troubling . Does he feel he has a better chance of winning in Colorado ?

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Calvert's been in the organization for 10 years. Totally within his rights, he chose to move to Denver, which has at least a handful of things that Columbus does not. We all need a shakeup in our lives every now and then, I'd imagine Calvert isn't any different.
Yes , but you remember Calvert in tears after the last game , and his conversations with the media , in the interviews following that game ?

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Just so I’m clear — everyone now believes what Portzline is reporting/speculating on in regards to what the Jackets offered Cole?

Some serious cherry picking going on in these parts.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Seems like something is not right in our organization right now , whether it’s Torts , or the front office. We have Panarin come out and say he’s not ready to look at long term contract, and wants to see the direction of the team . You have the front office coming out and saying they wanted to work things out with Calvert, and he felt it was the right time for a new direction , we have Cole choosing the Avalanche for just a hair bit more money , but less term , we have the jack Johnson situation where another Gm alledges performance wasn’t the issue , and Torts goes on a f bomb tirade in the media . The Cole situation is troubling . Does he feel he has a better chance of winning in Colorado ?

Playing, probably.

Bednar, like most coaches, is loathe to bench his veterans. And they're a thinner lineup. Calvert probably went for ice time too. No more toilet seat. The JJ situation is obviously baloney, we all thought he was out of our best 6 D.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Just so I’m clear — everyone now believes what Portzline is reporting/speculating on in regards to what the Jackets offered Cole?

Seriously, guy has no sources in FO, (Komarov lol) and suddenly he knows confidentional contract details. But look where it went? Oh no, another player rejecting Columbus, woe us! Mission accomplished.

Reactions: thebus88

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

Jarmo made it pretty clear that he wanted to re-sign Cole. So I don’t think it’s speculation by Portzline.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
"When it comes to Ian Cole, we wanted to keep him," Kekalainen said. "We offered him a contract and he decided to go to Colorado. I have to respect his decision for his family and himself and wish him the best of luck. I know what he signed for, and we offered him a very fair contract, in our opinion, and he decided to go with Colorado. And that's it."

Again dude is 30, married, his only earnings were 6M for last 3 years he was going for highest bidder no matter what, he rejected Chicago because they didn't want to give him that 3rd year. But carry on with Portz shenanigans.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Jarmo made it pretty clear that he wanted to re-sign Cole. So I don’t think it’s speculation by Portzline.
But for the right price. He said that several times so did JD: "he might want a more money and a bigger term that's his right."

Serioulsy guys, Carter really f***ed you up, and Portzline keep playing on those feelings.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Seems like something is not right in our organization right now , whether it’s Torts , or the front office. We have Panarin come out and say he’s not ready to look at long term contract, and wants to see the direction of the team . You have the front office coming out and saying they wanted to work things out with Calvert, and he felt it was the right time for a new direction , we have Cole choosing the Avalanche for just a hair bit more money , but less term , we have the jack Johnson situation where another Gm alleges performance wasn’t the issue , and Torts goes on a f bomb tirade in the media . The Cole situation is troubling . Does he feel he has a better chance of winning in Colorado ?

I tend to agree. My guess it is a growing dissatisfaction with Torts. Or maybe its just a bunch of coincidences magnified by being a Jackets fan from the beginning.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Again dude is 30, married, his only earnings were 6M for last 3 years he was going for highest bidder no matter what, he rejected Chicago because they didn't want to give him that 3rd year. But carry on with Portz shenanigans.

So you believe all other reports (unless you have personal relationships with many sources, including the horse's mouth) but disregard any thing from Porty? Methinks you've just hopped aboard the I Hate Porty Train.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It'd be nice to have an offseason where we don't let our depth players walk, hope that some young guys replace them from within the organization, and then scramble to find free agent replacements instead.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
So you believe all other reports (unless you have personal relationships with many sources, including the horse's mouth) but disregard any thing from Porty? Methinks you've just hopped aboard the I Hate Porty Train.
You can you keep riding that "Portzline is a legit insider" train as long as you want. He has no sources in FO, period. And will have even less after his overblown reports on Panarin that hurts his potential trade value for FO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad