Injury Report: Summer 2014: Torres suffers set back

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm getting the feeling that he isn't going to play again. Hopefully I'm way wrong, but this sounds ugly.

I actually get a worse feeling. I think he's going to play again and something else worse is going to happen to that knee because they didn't repair it properly in the first place.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
AIUI the ACL is for stability. If he can play with the brace he's not going to injure something that isn't there. It's been done before and Raffi's tough. I could see him making a go of it.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
AIUI the ACL is for stability. If he can play with the brace he's not going to injure something that isn't there. It's been done before and Raffi's tough. I could see him making a go of it.

Yup. Stevie Y and Alfie did the same. If there is no discomfort with the brace and he feels strong enough to go, let him.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Brodie and Kurz are reporting on the Pregame that Torres straight up doesn't need surgery on that knee but they essentially know as little about the matter as we do probably.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
capitalsaw.jpg

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks...eup-tonight-and-scott-expects-ugly-reception/

Should be in SJ within a month.
So maybe a Thanksgiving or Christmas present?

Well being back in SJ doesn't mean he'll be ready to play. Still, not having another surgery...is weird. Because if they removed the infected ACL replacement then...he has no ACL in that knee.

This whole situation is weird, but I do like that Dr. Ting is not involved in any of it. I just hope that he is not rushed back like last season.

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Well being back in SJ doesn't mean he'll be ready to play. Still, not having another surgery...is weird. Because if they removed the infected ACL replacement then...he has no ACL in that knee.

This whole situation is weird, but I do like that Dr. Ting is not involved in any of it. I just hope that he is not rushed back like last season.

According to Randy during the Bruins broadcast he mentioned that Torres did not require another surgery and he currently working on strengthening the knee. He made it sound like he will be back sooner than later.

And I also hope he isn't rushed back when he's not ready.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
According to Randy during the Bruins broadcast he mentioned that Torres did not require another surgery and he currently working on strengthening the knee. He made it sound like he will be back sooner than later.

And I also hope he isn't rushed back when he's not ready.

Whatever Randy said or didn't say the above is not true. No one needs their ACL replaced to walk, they can use a brace, which is what Torres will use to play hockey. He may get it replaced after the season is over, however.

I think the decision was made that if he had surgery he wouldn't play this year. Not having the surgery may give him the chance to play this year with a brace. Long term he will probably have it replaced either way.

My brother needs his ACL replaced for example, but he's put it off for years due to not being able to take the time off it would require for rehab.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Whatever Randy said or didn't say the above is not true. No one needs their ACL replaced to walk, they can use a brace, which is what Torres will use to play hockey. He may get it replaced after the season is over, however.

I think the decision was made that if he had surgery he wouldn't play this year. Not having the surgery may give him the chance to play this year with a brace. Long term he will probably have it replaced either way.

My brother needs his ACL replaced for example, but he's put it off for years due to not being able to take the time off it would require for rehab.

My friend in high school was the same way. He needed it replaced maybe freshman year but he didn't get it done until after we graduated.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
It sounds weird but if they strengthen everything around the knee. Here are some athletes who played their sports without an ACL.

Sean Elliot-NBA
Philip Rivers-NFL
Tiger Woods
Mickey Mantle
Thurman Thomas-NFL
John Elway-NFL
Hines Ward-NFL

it can be done. Elway, Ward and Thomas played their whole careers with only one ACL.

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
It sounds weird but if they strengthen everything around the knee. Here are some athletes who played their sports without an ACL.

Sean Elliot-NBA
Philip Rivers-NFL
Tiger Woods
Mickey Mantle
Thurman Thomas-NFL
John Elway-NFL
Hines Ward-NFL

it can be done. Elway, Ward and Thomas played their whole careers with only one ACL.

As someone who has applied to physical therapy school...I have a long day of research ahead of me tomorrow. No therapist, doctor, surgeon etc has ever told me of this. I'm a little giddy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad