Hertl-Couture-Pavelski
Marleau-Sheppard-Wingles
Kennedy-Desjardins-Brown
Burish(A)-Scott(A)-Thornton

Niemi is captain

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Torres is just one more straw added to the pile, my comments were not specific to his loss (I think that was pretty clear). I am much more concerned about the locker room issues, lack of leadership, potential for frustration/anger from key players, etc. And while people like to argue that Havlat was worthless, it's not like we used his cap space for anything so far so it's still a net loss. Boyle is a net loss, even Stuart is a net loss when you consider replacing him with Mueller. Burns to D is a huge net loss for the forwards, with no replacement, and now we lost Torres too.

People want to be positive, I get that, but I'm preparing for a very rough season because that is what I expect. I see absolutely zero hope for a cup this season, so let's temper our expectations a bit and at least prepare for the possibility that this will likely be the worst Sharks team of the last decade.

I think the team is capable of having just as good of a season but they're less capable of withstanding injuries as opposed to last year. They got a pretty big injury bug last year and if that large of a bug hits again this year, it will hit hard. But if it's not so bad on that front, they should still make it.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I believe that after the Luongo captain fiasco, the NHL changed rules such that the goalie cannot be captain.

(Never could wear the "C")

oyster

Jan 19, 2011
Is anyone else noticing how many players are getting infections post-surgery?

His most recent surgery to deal with the infection was in Toronto, if his first was done locally by Ting that would be the 3rd surgery he's performed for the team that developed infection. This one is very similar to what happened to Michalek: knee surgery, cadaver tissue, infection post op. I don't know if that's on the surgeon or maybe on the team but that seems high to me.

2006 Michalek (knee surgery, infection)
2010 Wallin (clean out scar tissue in ankle, infection)
2013 Torres (knee surgery, infection)

Maybe I'm over analyzing this and similar teams/surgeons have similar results, but just did a quick search and saw that's he's been reprimanded twice by Medical Board of California and was on probation for 5 years starting in 2004. Did Barry Bonds' surgeries including one that got infected and a procedure to clear that up.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
From Pollak's article. Is that freaking anyone out but me?
Yes. The literature says, complications are a lot less frequent with own-tissue repairs. The recovery is much longer. Sounds like they are sacrificing health for speed of recovery. How much is the team involved in the decision? How candid is the Dr. being when presenting the options to the patient?

Is anyone else noticing how many players are getting infections post-surgery?

His most recent surgery to deal with the infection was in Toronto, if his first was done locally by Ting that would be the 3rd surgery he's performed for the team that developed infection. This one is very similar to what happened to Michalek: knee surgery, cadaver tissue, infection post op. I don't know if that's on the surgeon or maybe on the team but that seems high to me.

2006 Michalek (knee surgery, infection)
2010 Wallin (clean out scar tissue in ankle, infection)
2013 Torres (knee surgery, infection)

Maybe I'm over analyzing this and similar teams/surgeons have similar results, but just did a quick search and saw that's he's been reprimanded twice by Medical Board of California and was on probation for 5 years starting in 2004. Did Barry Bonds' surgeries including one that got infected and a procedure to clear that up.
My guess is that they are using corticosteroids to suppress rejection on cadaver tissue. Long-term use of corticosteroids makes one much more susceptible to infection.

Michalek had similar issues. He got cadaver tissue the first time and it failed at roughly the same point in time post surgery. The second surgery was an "own-tissue" transplant.

Bonds had surgical service from Ting but went to Kerlan-Jobe in Southern California for post-surgical services. I have not heard of post-surgical issues on any of the players treated by Andrews in the east or by Kerlan-Jobe when they do their surgeries. Ting worked at Kerlan-Jobe for a time but parted ways with them long ago.

Ting's medical board issues had nothing to do with his surgical expertise. He was slapped down for prescription issues. To get a read on actual surgical results for comparison, you have to get paid access to a database which does cover the country. The info is critical to insurance companies regarding malpractice insurance.

You missed Sturm who had his ankle plate re-done in Germany during the 04 lockout.

cantskate

Sep 22, 2005
On the ice
I tend to agree. Being a professional in anything doesn't just suddenly inhibit emotions. Some can so it, some can't. But with a team game like hockey, drama can be infectious and taint any group.

I hope to hell things balance out but the latest mishandling of the captaincy stuff is just another broken piece. I really wouldn't be surprised to see DW and Tmac fired later this season if things don't settle.

As a super fan of this team, I'm both excited and nervous about this season. I have a hard time articulating my feelings when someone asks my opinion about the team. Partially because I'm mixed, partially because I don't feel like explaining it all to non-fans. It's very "meh"

Yes, and it's not just the Torres loss. It's the other moves. Losing defensemen, adding a goon, potential locker room issues, lack of depth scoring, goaltending questions, etc. The only thing the Sharks have going for them (regarding making the playoffs) is that although the West is tough, the teams that did not make the playoffs last year haven't improved much either. Phoenix, van, winnipeg, oil, calgary, and nashville, all had meaningless off seasons too. Dallas and Minny will be significantly improved though (especially Dallas), so that would put the Sharks right on the bubble.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Torres to have surgery on ACL this month(September).
Torres, who suffered multiple infections in his repaired knee after the 2014 playoffs, is expected to have surgery later this month.

The forward played in just five regular season games in 2013-14 after hurting the knee last September in a preseason game, and although he appeared in all seven playoff games against Los Angeles, Torres said he was “skating around pretty much on one leg.â€
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/08/torres-to-undergo-acl-surgery-this-month/

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Yes. The literature says, complications are a lot less frequent with own-tissue repairs. The recovery is much longer. Sounds like they are sacrificing health for speed of recovery. How much is the team involved in the decision? How candid is the Dr. being when presenting the options to the patient?

My guess is that they are using corticosteroids to suppress rejection on cadaver tissue. Long-term use of corticosteroids makes one much more susceptible to infection.

Michalek had similar issues. He got cadaver tissue the first time and it failed at roughly the same point in time post surgery. The second surgery was an "own-tissue" transplant.

Bonds had surgical service from Ting but went to Kerlan-Jobe in Southern California for post-surgical services. I have not heard of post-surgical issues on any of the players treated by Andrews in the east or by Kerlan-Jobe when they do their surgeries. Ting worked at Kerlan-Jobe for a time but parted ways with them long ago.

Ting's medical board issues had nothing to do with his surgical expertise. He was slapped down for prescription issues. To get a read on actual surgical results for comparison, you have to get paid access to a database which does cover the country. The info is critical to insurance companies regarding malpractice insurance.

You missed Sturm who had his ankle plate re-done in Germany during the 04 lockout.

FWIW my mother had surgery done by Ting and he ended up doing more harm than good. She is still in pain from it.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad