Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pucks Deep

Apr 4, 2020
Ken has no clue what to do with this team. He just panics and tries to win with skill every game. There is no system or structure to this team. Minor hockey breakouts and special teams. The players know a guy like Musty has no accountability for his actions. They struggle to beat a weak Petes team and blow it today. As much high end skill as they have. It’s just going to waste with this coach.
I hope I’m wrong. But good luck winning in playoffs like this.
Kudos to Villy. He is a beast out there the last bit

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Playoffs will tell the tale with this team. Will either be an exciting run or a depressing knock out.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Timing was off they struggled with the puck and our D did not have one of their better games. Vandi played well enough, he did his job but Mississauga had a better third. We should hear this week regarding the bounty thing you would think.
Loss wasn’t his fault but it’s too bad we can’t expect “his job” to include stealing a game now and then instead of being grateful and settling for ”played well enough” Team didn’t look good today. Good thing they were able to pull Friday’s game out of the fire or they’d be looking at an 0 for weekend.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Playoffs will tell the tale with this team. Will either be an exciting run or a depressing knock out.
Goaltending and commitment to playing on both sides of the puck will tell the tale more than anything since we know we can score but we still haven’t really seen playoff level goaltending once this year.
It’s not enough to hope they don’t lose us a game. They’re going to have to save our bacon once in a while.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Goaltending and commitment to playing on both sides of the puck will tell the tale more than anything since we know we can score but we still haven’t really seen playoff level goaltending once this year.
It’s not enough to hope they don’t lose us a game. They’re going to have to save our bacon once in a while.

Anything can happen come playoffs. Go back and remember the 07 run. The team played like d*g sh*t heading into the playoffs. Dahm was nothing special during the season. Save % below 900. Team looked lost. It's all about playoffs. Who will rise in the moment and sacrifice, and how this team comes together. It all comes down to the playoffs, and it will tell the tale for this team and Papineau.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
If the Wolves play Missy at any point in the playoffs we will lose that series. And if we don't finish first in the East not having home ice vs Brantford we will lose the series. That's my prediction.

The defence on those teams seam to play very aggressive vs the Wolves and certain players cannot play through it. Musty being one of them.

If it wasn't for Goyette and Villeneuve the last month this team wouldn't be where they are in the standings.

They have been the most consistent game in game out and have raised their game to another level completely. Dvorksy has been really good as well but seems to have picked up on some of Musty's bad habits from time to time.

Defensively McCoy and DeAngelios are the top two. Anania and Collins we need more from. They have been dipping in their defensive zone coverage around the net. VanVliet is starting to come along and using his body to squeeze guys out in the corners.

But I just wish we had everyone play at another level like Goyette and Villy.

WJ

Reactions: justawolfan

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Ken has no clue what to do with this team. He just panics and tries to win with skill every game. There is no system or structure to this team. Minor hockey breakouts and special teams. The players know a guy like Musty has no accountability for his actions. They struggle to beat a weak Petes team and blow it today. As much high end skill as they have. It’s just going to waste with this coach.
I hope I’m wrong. But good luck winning in playoffs like this.
Kudos to Villy. He is a beast out there the last bit
Ken really doesn't know how to read a game. Leskovar was toying with us in the second and third. Play someone who will finish checks on him. Even big body Pryce I would given a few shifts to crash the Missy defence. That prevented us from establishing any offensive zone time today. Coughlan, Yearwood and Pryce should have been given ice time to change the momentum Missy had. When he stopped playing those guys we got nothing in their end. Then the penalties were taken from players who get frustrated from getting smothered. Musty does not have the foot speed to win battles and then resorts to taking dumb penalties because he is always reading the numbers of the Missy players. Without open ice he is ineffective. Missy's fourth line pressed our D and caused turn overs and hemmed us in resulting in the 4th goal. That line got the most ice time in the third for Missy.

WJ

Reactions: Wolfie

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
If the Wolves play Missy at any point in the playoffs we will lose that series. And if we don't finish first in the East not having home ice vs Brantford we will lose the series. That's my prediction.

The defence on those teams seam to play very aggressive vs the Wolves and certain players cannot play through it. Musty being one of them.

If it wasn't for Goyette and Villeneuve the last month this team wouldn't be where they are in the standings.

They have been the most consistent game in game out and have raised their game to another level completely. Dvorksy has been really good as well but seems to have picked up on some of Musty's bad habits from time to time.

Defensively McCoy and DeAngelios are the top two. Anania and Collins we need more from. They have been dipping in their defensive zone coverage around the net. VanVliet is starting to come along and using his body to squeeze guys out in the corners.

WJ

Again, time will tell come playoffs. To have success we will need some other guys to elevate their games come playoffs. Some guys are just born for the playoffs and thrive in the moment. Villy seems like a playoff beast, you can just see the drive in him. Could be a guy like Giroux who elevates his game, who knows. We really need one of our goalies to elevate and grab a hold of the net, or bye bye

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010

WJ
Ive developed a mindset recently

What will be will be.

Dissecting (for the remainder of this season) things like, coaching, line changes, who's giving effort, goaltending, defensive miscues, poor effort, all are exhausting and WE control absolutely none of it.

I'll watch the final games without worry. If they win, fine. If they don't, that's fine too.

But I will say this, I'm leaning on the side of caution for the playoffs whom ever we face. One seed vs 5 or whatever the case may be. There are a few concerns I have about this team thats unsettling

I'm all about playoffs and who raises their game and whos afraid of the bright lights. I'd like to see they wolves before the end of the season , beat a good opponent, not a 500 team, on the road before season end(schedule permitting). I mean send a message to the rest of the conference that you are a legitimate contender that is not to be played with. That to me would be a step in the right direction

Last edited:

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I think an important thing to remember, despite all these problems, is that the Wolves are the best team in the east and third-best in the OHL in the last 10 games. Vandenberg has a SV% of over .900 in 4 of his last 5 starts as well. Team will also have a different look when they get Konyen and Giroux back as well.

TomBlizzy12

Girardi For Norris
Dec 15, 2022
What happened to Konyen?

-Any info is appreciated. Living in the states I don't get any OHL news unless its from here

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
What happened to Konyen?

-Any info is appreciated. Living in the states I don't get any OHL news unless its from here
Day to day, I don't think they've said with what. I'd think he's likely back for this weekend assuming the day-to-day diagnosis was accurate. He tends to take a beating in front of the net and in the corners as a smaller guy whose not scared.

Wolfie

Nov 3, 2023
Ken really doesn't know how to read a game. Leskovar was toying with us in the second and third. Play someone who will finish checks on him. Even big body Pryce I would given a few shifts to crash the Missy defence. That prevented us from establishing any offensive zone time today. Coughlan, Yearwood and Pryce should have been given ice time to change the momentum Missy had. When he stopped playing those guys we got nothing in their end. Then the penalties were taken from players who get frustrated from getting smothered. Musty does not have the foot speed to win battles and then resorts to taking dumb penalties because he is always reading the numbers of the Missy players. Without open ice he is ineffective. Missy's fourth line pressed our D and caused turn overs and hemmed us in resulting in the 4th goal. That line got the most ice time in the third for Missy.

WJ
Ken's decisions in the third also confuses me. You're down by one, all 3 goals we got came from the power play, which has been red-hot as of late, and he decides to not play the 4th line in the third who draw the most penalties on the team.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Is that accurate? Two of those guys haven't even been in the lineup for half the games this season (Pryce 30 games, Mauro 27 games).

What he means is the guys who are typically 4th liners (Coughlan and Yearwood) were drawing penalties with their speed, forechecking and hitting but barely played in the third. That's a fair observation. Mauro and Pryce wouldn't have seen much ice in a close game after the second.

Pucks Deep

Apr 4, 2020
What (I think) he means is,Ken doesn’t make in game adjustments. He just either pulls the goalie or stacks up 1 line if they are in trouble. That’s it. Why reward guys with more ice when they are hot. That would mean he couldn’t fall asleep on the bench lol

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
What he means is the guys who are typically 4th liners (Coughlan and Yearwood) were drawing penalties with their speed, forechecking and hitting but barely played in the third. That's a fair observation. Mauro and Pryce wouldn't have seen much ice in a close game after the second.
Sadly I think at this point, Coughlan takes more than he draws, his aggressiveness leads to penalties, and all the diving he's done means the refs never give him a call anymore. You could mug him on the ice and get away without a penalty.

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
Ken's decisions in the third also confuses me. You're down by one, all 3 goals we got came from the power play, which has been red-hot as of late, and he decides to not play the 4th line in the third who draw the most penalties on the team.
Yep... power play now 5th overall and a hair out of 4th. Still lots of SHG, but seems like that has improved lately? Penalty kill still below average in 12th.. Coughlan with 6 minors in last 14 games, some likely coincidental. I'm ok with his brand of play, long as it is not in critical moments.

Reactions: Wolfie

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
With the weather forecast the way it is, I'm wondering if tonight's game gets postponed... Anyone with insight? This is just a one-off game for Barrie so it's possible in my opinion.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
With the weather forecast the way it is, I'm wondering if tonight's game gets postponed... Anyone with insight? This is just a one-off game for Barrie so it's poss
With the weather forecast the way it is, I'm wondering if tonight's game gets postponed... Anyone with insight? This is just a one-off game for Barrie so it's possible in my opinion.
Highly highly doubt it. In my experience it would take a hell of a lot more than that.

Reactions: AKADonovan

AKADonovan

Apr 30, 2014
Sudbury
Highly highly doubt it. In my experience it would take a hell of a lot more than that.
It's winter in Canada. Sometimes it snows.
Cancelling games is a logistical nightmare.
That being said, if the School Bus Consortium was making the call, there'd likely be games in July!😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad