Sudbury Wolves 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yep… would you give him another 5 yr contract based on history of his lack of success? What has he done? Nothing…. He has not gone anywhere in the playoffs, doesn’t have the picks for a run next yr., NO starting goalie, no defence. There are way too many holes in this line up to make it past the first round. If this team doesn’t get a starter, 4 defenceman that can play next season and get rid of a few players that many on here are think are the saviours, not much will improve from this season. One GOOD player, the right age is 4 or 5 picks, and the team only gets him if it isn’t out bid. A great player WILL cost a lot more, the Wolves do not have the assets to move, players or picks. Names will be tossed out there, but the perceived value of some of these player is way over priced, especially when you know 100% they have been on the wire for three years.

Look down the Hwy at NB, this team has the best goalie in the OHL, better defence in Nelson, and forwards about even with the Wolves, and they may not win.

There is one critical thing 19 of the 20 other teams have and that is character. There is no character on the wolves, that was traded by Papineau in Holmes and Ranger. There is a big difference between character and stupidity and the wolves have the later in spades.

Great teams win because they fight through bad reffing, cheap shots, bad calls by linemen. The Wolves don’t have enough of that capability on this team. There’s a couple players, but you need a team of it.

In the end, Peterborough won because they are a better team. A team doesn’t lose 4 in a row e cause of bad calls, they lose because they lost a percentage of the shifts, poor goaltending, being out coached and stupid penalties. The Wolves were guilty of all of them. I maybe wrong or right, but that’s just my opinion based on what I see when I’m in the rinks around the leagues.

My prediction next year: not much better than this year.
I’m not a fan of the GM that has refused to draft a D in the first three rounds four straight years; and, the arrogance to not be the one to first select a goalie when the opportunity was there the last draft. I also have doubts that Papineau would pay the going rates for players even after receiving some over pays in recent selling moves.
But geez man; the wolves have the picks, some good prospects in Walton & Chromiak, and a marketable 18 yr old goalie to part with to make serious contender.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Yep… would you give him another 5 yr contract based on history of his lack of success? What has he done? Nothing…. He has not gone anywhere in the playoffs, doesn’t have the picks for a run next yr., NO starting goalie, no defence. There are way too many holes in this line up to make it past the first round. If this team doesn’t get a starter, 4 defenceman that can play next season and get rid of a few players that many on here are think are the saviours, not much will improve from this season. One GOOD player, the right age is 4 or 5 picks, and the team only gets him if it isn’t out bid. A great player WILL cost a lot more, the Wolves do not have the assets to move, players or picks. Names will be tossed out there, but the perceived value of some of these player is way over priced, especially when you know 100% they have been on the wire for three years.

Look down the Hwy at NB, this team has the best goalie in the OHL, better defence in Nelson, and forwards about even with the Wolves, and they may not win.

There is one critical thing 19 of the 20 other teams have and that is character. There is no character on the wolves, that was traded by Papineau in Holmes and Ranger. There is a big difference between character and stupidity and the wolves have the later in spades.

Great teams win because they fight through bad reffing, cheap shots, bad calls by linemen. The Wolves don’t have enough of that capability on this team. There’s a couple players, but you need a team of it.

In the end, Peterborough won because they are a better team. A team doesn’t lose 4 in a row e cause of bad calls, they lose because they lost a percentage of the shifts, poor goaltending, being out coached and stupid penalties. The Wolves were guilty of all of them. I maybe wrong or right, but that’s just my opinion based on what I see when I’m in the rinks around the leagues.

Ok my friend. We will see shortly if your call on Papineau was right

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022

You should stop day drinking and stay inside your house till September because your sky is caving in! Comon man, really get a grip. We lost because we sold assets to be better the next two years, yes it sucks to get swept4-0 but better times ahead. Improvements coming.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
You should stop day drinking and stay inside your house till September because your sky is caving in! Comon man, really get a grip. We lost because we sold assets to be better the next two years, yes it sucks to get swept4-0 but better times ahead. Improvements coming.
There’s no need to make drinking comments. That’s pretty childish. There are not enough assets to get the players this team needs. Not even close.

Sold assets? What assets? Look at the number of picks the Wolves received for two players. Holmes and Assourdorian. Two mediocre players for how many picks, 7? The possibilities of acquiring at least 2-4 top end players to build a winner next year is out of reach. It can’t be done.

The average cost in picks for the caliber of player posters on here are talking about is 6 picks. 1player…. There are not enough assets to build a winner, and Papineau is not smart enough to make the player/ pick combinations deals required to make a winner as teams will want Pharand, Goyette or Musty. The others are OAs and not valuable enough to garner more that a pick or equivalent player.

Next year will be any interesting year to watch, there are a few teams to watch.

It doesn’t bother me that the Wolves got swept in four, it’s what I expected and I don’t cheer for any one team. The Wolves got beat by a much better team plus I watch too many teams, to many players and more then one league.

Last edited:

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
There’s no need to make drinking comments. That’s pretty childish. There are not enough assets to get the players this team needs. Not even close.

Sold assets? What assets? Look at the number of picks the Wolves received for two players. Holmes and Assourdorian. Two mediocre players for how many picks, 7? The possibilities of acquiring at least 2-4 top end players to build a winner next year is out of reach. It can’t be done.

The average cost in picks for the caliber of player posters on here are talking about is 6 picks. 1player…. There are not enough assets to build a winner, and Papineau is not smart enough to make the player/ pick combinations deals required to make a winner as teams will want Pharand, Goyette or Musty. The others are OAs and not valuable enough to garner more that a pick or equivalent player.

Next year will be any interesting year to watch, there are a few teams to watch.

It doesn’t bother me that the Wolves got swept in four, it’s what I expected and I don’t cheer for any one team. The Wolves got beat by a much better team plus I watch too many teams, to many players and more then one league.
You are right, my comment was very childish and I apologize.
I just look at our current situation thru a different lens (I respect your opinions). Counting the Stillman trade, Holmes and AA trade I count 4 2nds, 3 3rds, a 4th and a 6th. We have 3 3rds this year and I can see is flipping one or two of those or this years 2nd (Sarnia) for extra picks in future drafts that can be used at the deadline. Plus something has to give with our OAs, perhaps some picks can be had if we move one or two??
Because so many teams have emptied their draft cupboard to go for it this year, see: Pete’s, Windsor, Kitchener, Sarnia and to a lesser degree Ottawa, we should have some leverage.
You never have enough draft capital, so I’d expect more is coming.
Devorsky might report and we seem to find some diamonds in the rough with trades (Yearwood & Coughlan). Got some depth on D with Protz, Walton and Bruce and maybe Larkin reports.
I could be wrong but I don’t see a gloomy forecast…again forgive my poor attempt of humour.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
I just look at our current situation thru a different lens (I respect your opinions). Counting the Stillman trade, Holmes and AA trade I count 4 2nds, 3 3rds, a 4th and a 6th. We have 3 3rds this year and I can see is flipping one or two of those or this years 2nd (Sarnia) for extra picks in future drafts that can be used at the deadline. Plus something has to give with our OAs, perhaps some picks can be had if we move one or two??
Because so many teams have emptied their draft cupboard to go for it this year, see: Pete’s, Windsor, Kitchener, Sarnia and to a lesser degree Ottawa, we should have some leverage.
Devorsky might report and we seem to find some diamonds in the rough with trades (Yearwood & Coughlan). Got some depth on D with Protz, Walton and Bruce and maybe Larkin reports.
I could be wrong but I don’t see a gloomy forecast…again forgive my poor attempt of humour.
The wolves, according to the posters on here are making their run next season which I don’t believe is feasible. Most want it to happen next yr because of Musty and Goyette returning, but the supporting cast is not there and they do not have the required assets to make a winner. I still stand by my remarks about the Wolves needing 4 defence-man and a starting goalie. As much as I liked Krawchuck when I met him, he is not ready to be number one in the crease, if ever.

The Wolves have been in a perpetual rebuild For a decade at least and that’s why a GM change is coming. The great teams have great GMs and scouts, that’s not the case with this team.

Time will tell.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
😎Cool
See the players the Sting & Petes gave up, and the ‘67s 15(2-4) picks for two players.
The wolves can contend if willing to part with ‘07 born 1st, [Walton & (twin for basically nothing)], Chromiak, …
The wolves cannot roster any of those D and expect to contend, and worth the 5th-8th picks in trade like Coughlin & Yearwood were.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022

Counting both this season and last season to build for this year, the Petes sent out:
- 6 2nds
- 8 3rds
- 2 4ths
- Jack Van Volsen (06)
- Nick Lardis (05)
- Alex Pharand (05)
- Justin DeZoete (04)
- Sam Alfano (04)
- Mason McTavish (03)
- Artem Guryev (03)
- Sahil Panwar (OA)

While Acquiring:
- Owen Beck (04)
- Jonathan Melee (04)
- Chase Stillman (03)
- Connor Lockhart (03)
- Brennan Othmann (03)
- Cam Gauvreau (03)
- Avery Hayes (OA)
- Gavin White (OA)

Not including picks for this upcoming draft, Sudbury has this available:
- 6 2nds
- 6 3rds
- 2 4ths

Similar in some ways to what Peterborough had as far as 2nds goes and those are what really gets things done. Not a ton of available picks but not in a horrible spot either. Players will have to be included if many moves of significance take place to fill holes. Most likely the upcoming 2023 1st and by the sounds of it Walton, Chromiak etc

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Counting both this season and last season to build for this year, the Petes sent out:
- 6 2nds
- 8 3rds
- 2 4ths
- Jack Van Volsen (06)
- Nick Lardis (05)
- Alex Pharand (05)
- Justin DeZoete (04)
- Sam Alfano (04)
- Mason McTavish (03)
- Artem Guryev (03)
- Sahil Panwar (OA)

While Acquiring:
- Owen Beck (04)
- Jonathan Melee (04)
- Chase Stillman (03)
- Connor Lockhart (03)
- Brennan Othmann (03)
- Cam Gauvreau (03)
- Avery Hayes (OA)
- Gavin White (OA)

- 6 2nds
- 6 3rds
- 2 4ths

Similar in some ways to what Peterborough had as far as 2nds goes and those are what really gets things done. Not a ton of available picks but not in a horrible spot either. Players will have to be included if many moves of significance take place to fill holes. Most likely the upcoming 2023 1st and by the sounds of it Walton, Chromiak etc
Are you double counting some picks? You can’t really say the Petes gave up both MacTavish & (Pharrand & the picks returned for MacTavish). It was Stillman, Meelee, 4th for MacTavish …good deal for the Petes put that way isn’t it?

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Are you double counting some picks? You can’t really say the Petes gave up both MacTavish & (Pharrand & the picks returned for MacTavish). It was Stillman, Meelee, 4th for MacTavish …good deal for the Petes put that way isn’t it?
if you substract McTavish then it's fine. That deal makes this stuff more difficult because it was almost a 2 parter to flip everything once they got it.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
if you substract McTavish then it's fine. That deal makes this stuff more difficult because it was almost a 2 parter to flip everything once they got it.
It is a bit tricky. I think you may have double counted for Panwar as well.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
- 6 2nds
- 8 3rds
- 2 4ths
- Jack Van Volsen (06)
- Nick Lardis (05)
- Alex Pharand (05)
- Justin DeZoete (04)
- Sam Alfano (04)
- Mason McTavish (03)
- Artem Guryev (03)
- Sahil Panwar (OA)

While Acquiring:
- Owen Beck (04)
- Jonathan Melee (04)
- Chase Stillman (03)
- Connor Lockhart (03)
- Brennan Othmann (03)
- Cam Gauvreau (03)
- Avery Hayes (OA)
- Gavin White (OA)

- 6 2nds
- 6 3rds
- 2 4ths

The Petes also acquired 3rd and 4th round draft picks in the Gauvreau for Guo trade and 5th and 10th in the Leskovar trade.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
The Petes also acquired 3rd and 4th round draft picks in the Gauvreau for Guo trade and 5th and 10th in the Leskovar trade.
A lot of moving parts in the off season which will dictate what happens next year at the deadline. Biggest game changer is Devorsky IMO. If he reports we pretty much gotta go for it; trade everything you can including Howler if the return is favourable.

Reactions: WolvesFan

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Hudson Chitaroni- The name to watch from the north this year was Hudson Chitaroni, and he impressed me during the OHL cup despite not putting up crazy stats. Chitaroni has a lot of patience and great hockey IQ when it comes to positioning himself for points. It’s what helped him pot 62 points in 33 games in the GNML U18 AAA this season. Chitaroni has a good work ethic too and isn’t afraid to battle for pucks. A relentless worker who should be taken within the first few rounds in the OHL Draft

Lucas Manikis- Manikis is another defender on YSE that stood out to me, as they all did. One area of the game that really caught my eye with Manikis is his athleticism, skating and blue line management. Manikis uses effective skating on the blue line to open up the lanes in the offensive end, and protects the puck well too. A creative defender, Manikis should also be high on people’s draft lists.

Last edited:

luapejrug

Jan 24, 2023
As is tradition, the list proves no coach watches the wolves.
Can you elaborate? I'm just not as familiar with Goyette's game but I'm trying to follow his development since I'm a Kraken fan.

The one thing I see a lot about him is that he can sometimes be a turnover machine lol

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Can you elaborate? I'm just not as familiar with Goyette's game but I'm trying to follow his development since I'm a Kraken fan.

The one thing I see a lot about him is that he can sometimes be a turnover machine lol
Goyette's great and likely deserving of his placements. He and Musty can battle it out for best stick handler on the team, they both have some bad giveaways at times.

My comment was more about the omissions of some other players.

Reactions: luapejrug

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
- 6 2nds
- 8 3rds
- 2 4ths
- Jack Van Volsen (06)
- Nick Lardis (05)
- Alex Pharand (05)
- Justin DeZoete (04)
- Sam Alfano (04)
- Mason McTavish (03)
- Artem Guryev (03)
- Sahil Panwar (OA)

While Acquiring:
- Owen Beck (04)
- Jonathan Melee (04)
- Chase Stillman (03)
- Connor Lockhart (03)
- Brennan Othmann (03)
- Cam Gauvreau (03)
- Avery Hayes (OA)
- Gavin White (OA)

- 6 2nds
- 6 3rds
- 2 4ths

Is there a draft pick database site up to date the one isn't up to date.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Is there a draft pick database site up to date the one isn't up to date.
Here is the updated one as well as a screenshot of the Wolves picks
1681240407618.png

Reactions: jellybeans
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad