Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There are several good Russians on Barrie & Peterborough that are not considered imports.
Nizhinkov, Lazarev, SDA, Gogalev, Korostelev,

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Well they're certainly not Canadian names.

SDA, Gogolev and Korostelev make up the RNI line for the Petes ("Russian non-import" line)
A number of Russian players have moved to Ontario to play a season or two before they turn 16, thereby making them eligible for the regular OHL draft.

Here are the details on the Petes' RNI's:
  • Korostelev moved to Ontario to play his bantam and MM seasons.
  • Gogolev moved to Calgary in 2013 when his brother was drafted by the Calgary Hitmen in the CHL import draft. Eventually he moved to Ontario and played his MM season at the CIHA Academy near Ottawa.
  • SDA spent two years playing at the CIHA Academy.
Here is a list of other OHL players that were born outside of Canada, but are considered non-imports because they played at least one year of minor hockey in Ontario....
Kirill Nizhnikov
Leo Lazarev
Sergey Popov
Daniil Vertiy

Here is an article about this issue from Jan. 2016 that's interesting to read.
http://www.tsn.ca/canada-s-largest-rep-hockey-league-moves-to-limit-foreign-players-1.425440

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
The Wolves played a very strong game Friday night. I see an improvement in the style of game they are playing. The only reason they have been losing... two overtime games and another late one to North Bay early in the season is because we don't have a couple of vets. Valentini and Carson obviously would have made a huge difference. But losing those guys has given some valuable ice time to new comers such as Hutchison, Tabek and McConville. Now with Valentini out for the year most likely but not official as he is still on the roster I would think his overage spot will be filled sooner than later. The team could use the boost of another veteran. A couple of players have made unexpected returns to their junior club and I think this gives Sudbury a chance at getting a strong player. Albeit it most likely will be a forward. Sherwood with Flint and Carbonara in London if available would provide some strong leadership and more offence particular from Sherwood on that right side. I think Sudbury should be in strong pursuit for one of these guys to strengthen the right side. With Carson returning and playing the left side it gives Sudbury some depth up front. Then maybe they can find a 19 year old defender out there in a deal for a younger player. If the Wolves can get those two missing pieces without having to lose too much picks and players then you will find this team having a very strong season. The lines could look like this,

Levin Lajeuensse Soko
Carson Pezzetta Sherwood or Carbonara
Pilon Bulitka Pilon
Hutchison Murray Baker/Tabek/McConville/Gilhula

Candella OGrady
19 year old/ Rhodes
Malik Ross
Serentis
Makkonen -???

So Sudbury could deal say Gilhula and picks to get that 19 year old defender and OA right winger. Its possible that this scenario could happen and the Wolves play out the season this way.

No way does Sudbury deal Pezzetta for Stillman as stated in another thread. Oshawa will not do that deal and I don't think we can stand to lose a leader in Pezzetta.

As for the Russians who are non imports. Well if they can get here years before they are eligible for the draft and the family moves here and they learn to live and work here and pay taxes then all the power to them. A lot of imports have failed trying to play or make a junior clubs as well. I don't have an issue with it.

WJ

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
SDA, Gogolev and Korostelev make up the RNI line for the Petes ("Russian non-import" line)
A number of Russian players have moved to Ontario to play a season or two before they turn 16, thereby making them eligible for the regular OHL draft.

Here are the details on the Petes' RNI's:
  • Korostelev moved to Ontario to play his bantam and MM seasons.
  • Gogolev moved to Calgary in 2013 when his brother was drafted by the Calgary Hitmen in the CHL import draft. Eventually he moved to Ontario and played his MM season at the CIHA Academy near Ottawa.
  • SDA spent two years playing at the CIHA Academy.
Here is a list of other OHL players that were born outside of Canada, but are considered non-imports because they played at least one year of minor hockey in Ontario....
Kirill Nizhnikov
Leo Lazarev
Sergey Popov
Daniil Vertiy

Here is an article about this issue from Jan. 2016 that's interesting to read.
http://www.tsn.ca/canada-s-largest-rep-hockey-league-moves-to-limit-foreign-players-1.425440
Thanks.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I noticed several teams are carrying an extra overager. If Valentini is out for the season (be nice to have confirmation) shouldn't the Wolves look to add one to solidify things a bit more. Maybe another defenceman. I hope Mcgrath is up to task tonight as I'm watching Bowman playing some pretty good hockey for Owen Sound, not to mention Alan L.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Well we lose our best player next year in Sokolov (unless you think there's a chance he could be an OA) so if it's a retooling season as you suggest then are we going to be sellers or try to win a round or two? Who else do we lose next year? Also why couldn't we get an overager without trading a 19 yr old?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Well we lose our best player next year in Sokolov (unless you think there's a chance he could be an OA) so if it's a retooling season as you suggest then are we going to be sellers or try to win a round or two? Who else do we lose next year? Also why couldn't we get an overager without trading a 19 yr old?

The rookies are getting plenty of quality min. I don’t see vets being brought in to take any of those minutes away. There won’t be a round or two with a record around 0.300. If there is no real desire to win, why not trade Sokolov and (Pezettta & Candella) if OA seasons seem unlikely.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The rookies are getting plenty of quality min. I don’t see vets being brought in to take any of those minutes away. There won’t be a round or two with a record around 0.300. If there is no real desire to win, why not trade Sokolov and (Pezettta & Candella) if OA seasons seem unlikely.
I'm not sure management your'e on the same page as management. We'll see. I can't see them not wanting to make the playoffs to further the enthusiasm for the "new era".

cub

Apr 11, 2012

No desire to win? Look at the current roster we have no choice to playing rookies. Carson, Valentini out. Your story is getting tiresome, I'm sure at the deadline some of our better vets maybe moved for the betterment of the future.

No Sokolov and Lajeunesse, not sure why scratch, if anything its discipline, i imagine.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
3 games in 3 days and you bench 2 players on your first line? Better have slept with the coaches wife to have deserved that. Really putting an extra load on an already tired team. Hope the coach is confident with that decision. I believe their are other more timely ways to discipline players without putting the burden on a short bench.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

cub

Apr 11, 2012
3 games in 3 days and you bench 2 players on your first line? Better have slept with the coaches wife to have deserved that. Really putting an extra load on an already tired team. Hope the coach is confident with that decision. I believe their are other more timely ways to discipline players without putting the burden on a short bench.

lmao, just speculation, they can be sick too.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I agree totally! The team is really trying but you run a fine line with a fragile group. If you bend them too much they will begin to tune you out. And tuning out becomes really easy when you lose more than you win. I'm not in agreement with sitting a player who has scored 5 goals and 2 assists in the last two games. Consequence another way. This punished the team that played tonight not the two that sat out. I like a no nonesense coach but when you need to win some games this stuff doesn't sit well. Would like to hear the spin on this weekend come media time. Evey thing that could go wrong this early has for this team and really is too bad because I think they are a talented bunch.

WJ

cub

Apr 11, 2012
It was a decent effort by the Wolves, but they make mistakes that Oshawa capitalized on. McGrath played better but he seems to fight the puck a lot, last year calm, good glove, good rebound control. Actually thought Levin had a good game but had one bad turnover during the PP, besides that he was solid. Murray scored a beauty goal, I'm looking forward in watching him develop with the Wolves.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
It was a decent effort by the Wolves, but they make mistakes that Oshawa capitalized on. McGrath played better but he seems to fight the puck a lot, last year calm, good glove, good rebound control. Actually thought Levin had a good game but had one bad turnover during the PP, besides that he was solid. Murray scored a beauty goal, I'm looking forward in watching him develop with the Wolves.
I like improvement but winning is important in development too. This team needs to add this to this line up. Hearing the Soo getting an OA player for London. Hoping our GM gets some help this week. Sherwood would be a very nice addition from Flint. Get it done Papineau!!!

WJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad