Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Boman not better than McGrath. Judge this team 20-25 games in. Cubby is right expectations is probably to high. Quite honestly I'm nor sure where all this over hype came from. Our vet players probably don't add up to the other teams. The vet players we did pick up we're players other teams did not want or we're expendable. Excited for season I understand but let's look at the hole picture. Now where seeing that picture being drawn.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
You two are forgetting one important detail. The men behind the bench and the man who runs the team I think know a little more hockey than you and I. Therefore trust the process.
No one is questioning what Stillman knows. This forum is to give opinions . My previous posts support and list positives. However to win with rookies you need quality star players and that is not what we have.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It is fruitless to continue to question Blaine Smith’s selection of Levin. It was Tippett or Levin for final months until Tippett injured his leg. McLoed would have been a good choice if he would report to more than just Miss. Villardi was not an option. He has not and will not play enough to be a fit for the wolves anyways. Really, Levin was the only choice at that time.
Both B.B. drafts were good. Five players from the first draft two years are playing in the league. There are already four from the last draft. Add Serensits. And, the import and Samuelson are still possibilities after the upcoming NHL draft.
For me right now, it’s not about being a fan of any of the GMs, I think it takes three or four years before you can make a fair judgement. I will say that nine rookies is (probably) too many for a team that rebuilt for three seasons. And, I am certain that some of the rookies are over played at the expense of wins. There is just no good reason not to play with best possible D pairings, IMO. Like any other team that expects to be better than 15th, rookie D should be eased in.

Last edited:

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
No one is questioning what Stillman knows. This forum is to give opinions . My previous posts support and list positives. However to win with rookies you need quality star players and that is not what we have.

Your speaking of vets, correct? In terms of quality star players.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Boman not better than McGrath. Judge this team 20-25 games in. Cubby is right expectations is probably to high. Quite honestly I'm nor sure where all this over hype came from. Our vet players probably don't add up to the other teams. The vet players we did pick up we're players other teams did not want or we're expendable. Excited for season I understand but let's look at the hole picture. Now where seeing that picture being drawn.

Rhodes and Lajeunesse were expendable players, no doubt; but useful to this team. Bowman was expendable because McGrath is close to as good right now with three more seasons to grow as #1; and, room was needed for Frappier. Lyszcarczyk was only expendable because there were too many LW, likely would not have been an OA here, and because he was the bulk of the value in the 2nd & 3rd picks returned. He is missed by this team though.
Candella is an above average 19yr old D that could form a pretty decent #1 pairing with O’Grady or Rhodes.
That is where we are ‘seeing the picture drawn’. This regime (seems) to care more about developing Ross (up to five seasons to develop) and Malik (three, same amount as Ali) than piecing together two solid pairs that would have resulted in more team points had they played together and given more minutes.
All I’ve said all along is that this team should be winning more right now (not a league championship) and that there is not as much need to rush rookie development as there is need to get Sokolov, Pezetta, Candella, Rhodes, O’Grady signed by pro teams.
You can stop pointing to Ali as a failed project. Like Bulitka, he is in year two of a four year OHL career. He has time, the same amount of time as Malik; and, deserves more playing time to develop than Ross does (currently). Ali, Malik, & O’Grady will likely form 3 of top 4 next season, the wolves ((need)) two of those develop rapidly.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Rhodes and Lajeunesse were expendable players, no doubt; but useful to this team. Bowman was expendable because McGrath is close to as good right now with three more seasons to grow as #1; and, room was needed for Frappier. Lyszcarczyk was only expendable because there were too many LW, likely would not have been an OA here, and because he was the bulk of the value in the 2nd & 3rd picks returned. He is missed by this team though.
Candella is an above average 19yr old D that could form a pretty decent #1 pairing with O’Grady or Rhodes.
That is where we are ‘seeing the picture drawn’. This regime (seems) to care more about developing Ross (up to five seasons to develop) and Malik (three, same amount as Ali) than piecing together two solid pairs that would have resulted in more team points had they played together and given more minutes.
All I’ve said all along is that this team should be winning more right now (not a league championship) and that there is not as much need to rush rookie development as there is need to get Sokolov, Pezetta, Candella, Rhodes, O’Grady signed by pro teams.
You can stop pointing to Ali as a failed project. Like Bulitka, he is in year two of a four year OHL career. He has time, the same amount of time as Malik; and, deserves more playing time to develop than Ross does (currently). Ali, Malik, & O’Grady will likely form 3 of top 4 next season, the wolves ((need)) two of those develop rapidly.

Curious to know if you've been attending games. Every game I've see Ali play this year, he's been one of, if not the worst wolves defencemen on the ice. Which is actually kind given that he refuses to actually play defence. Ross on the other hand has been one of the few wolves d-men who has actually looked pretty good defensively. Malik, while he did look bad at first has been pretty great in the last few outings. Ross and Malik have earned a right to be in the lineup every night, Ali has not.

Last year Wolves fans complained constantly about the vets playing the bulk of the game and rookies had been glued to the bench. This year the rookies are playing a lot and looking great doing it. You just can't win with some of you.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Well said djscooter, some believe there is some kind of pecking order when you got drafted, how long you been on the team. How about the best players play? doesn't matter if your a rookie or a veteran. If you look at Bulitka, Ali, and Gihula they saw limited ice and it has hindered they're development. Some say look at Barrie, Niagara etc. Yes, they played all their rookies and they have developed and contributed considerably this year. Some criticized Malik, and if were coaching wouldn't give much ice time, he has 4 points already, Lalonde had 12 points all season last year. I trust the coaching staff and management, they got hit with some unexpected injuries and below average goaltending at this point. Keep the faith.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Have not missed a home game, ex game, or scrimmage & listened to road games
Glued to the bench would be an issue, yes. Otherwise, I don’t think rookies are really hindered by playing less and in easier assignments than vets. Again, they have more time to develop towards pro careers; which is what most players sign up for. There is really no reason to cost the team points by getting Ross scored upon on PK. If there is no urgency to beat Miss missing players, is there a desire to win any games?
It’s ok if the goal is to tank as a result of hastening the development of the future, just move Pezetta, Sokolov, & Candella to a better place for them.

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
So I guess Ross is only guy on the PK? The kid is a +1 at this point, tied with O'Grady with the best plus/minus on defence. Time to give it up, they have confidence in the kid and will play in every scenario.

To say they are tanking is such a stretch and ignore injuries, goaltending, let see what they do until Christmas, i'm sure they will have to revaluate at that point. I'm excited about these rookies, and how they are contributing already.

Last edited by a moderator:

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
So I guess Ross is only guy on the PK? The kid is a +1 at this point, tied with O'Grady with the best plus/minus on defence. Time to give it up, they have confidence in the kid and will play in every scenario.

To say they are tanking is such a stretch and ignore injuries, goaltending, let see what they do until Christmas, i'm sure they will have to revaluate at that point. I'm excited about these rookies, and how they are contributing already.

Thumbs up

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think the kid has lots of potential. It’s not just Ross, though I think he is overplayed. On the PK in consecutive tie games, c’mon, I have an issue with not trying to win games. The wolves continue to trot out rookies in the 3rd while the opposition shortens the bench and takes over the game.
You can’t possibly believe the ‘process’ is leading up to a better than 15th place finish this season. There’s got to be some urgency to win games first

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
The thing is the wolves vet dmen arent head and center above some of the rookie dmen thats why their playing alot and in all situations. Our top two dmen wouldn't necessarily be top two on most teams. It it what it is. Play the kids.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
I think the kid has lots of potential. It’s not just Ross, though I think he is overplayed. On the PK in consecutive tie games, c’mon, I have an issue with not trying to win games. The wolves continue to trot out rookies in the 3rd while the opposition shortens the bench and takes over the game.
You can’t possibly believe the ‘process’ is leading up to a better than 15th place finish this season. There’s got to be some urgency to win games first

Move on dirty. Focus on something else. Ross is the least of the wolves issues.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Well said djscooter, some believe there is some kind of pecking order when you got drafted, how long you been on the team. How about the best players play? doesn't matter if your a rookie or a veteran. If you look at Bulitka, Ali, and Gihula they saw limited ice and it has hindered they're development. Some say look at Barrie, Niagara etc. Yes, they played all their rookies and they have developed and contributed considerably this year. Some criticized Malik, and if were coaching wouldn't give much ice time, he has 4 points already, Lalonde had 12 points all season last year. I trust the coaching staff and management, they got hit with some unexpected injuries and below average goaltending at this point. Keep the faith.
The three players listed Ali, Bulitka and Guilhula are victims of Mastos need to win to keep his job mentality. I personally think Bulitka benefited from playing Junior B and when he can back should have been a regular player right away and was not used at all for the skill set he was drafted for. Ali on the other hand did play in the beginning with regular shifts in all situations and steadily showed weaknesses in his play. His ice time started to deteriorate a lot last year and his is back in the same situation he left. He needs to play solid d and he is not. Guilhula should have played a year of Junior (like Baker who has come back strong) last year. He would be a better player if he had but Stillmen has at least given him a lot of opportunity. Bulitka needed that type of coach last year. I do however think Bulitka has and is proving to be a huge value to this team. Stillman will make him a much better player. At the end of the day I agree you have to play rookies to develop them. My concern is there are too many "projects" and this will not win games. I do love the accountability demanded by this coach. I don't think that the vets are above proving themselves. It is nice to see Stillman changing that mentality.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Well the 2015 draft is looking more bleak. I recall the reports from our non exsistant manager at the time that we had a very good draft. After Levin, the Wolves selected Bulitka, Carson then Ali, Lane and Garagan. McGrath a few picks later. So far we have Levin a third year player who still seems to be learning the game and has made minimal progress defensively and will continue to be a minus player. Bulitka and Carson two players left along with McGrath. I have stated it before we needed more defence that draft year and we failed at picking up some quality guys instead picking up smallish forwards with the exception of Carson. This is why the defence is struggling at this point. We had nobody in the system that was developing the last two years. Ali saw limited icetime last season and struggled early on. I saw this coming as he could not be counted on to be in the top 4. And the fith and sixth spot is between Ross, Makkonen and Malik. With a lack of dman available out there and for those teams who have that vet we need it may be very expensive. Erie, Missisauga, Oshawa, Kitchener and Ottawa have extra guys but who goes and when. By the that time it may way too late for the Wolves. And one must ask. If the Wolves were looking at going for it next year why would they get rid of a player who would be back next season? I believe the Wolves can salvage this season by making a few deals to get older and go for it now. Too many holes next season and we lose way too many players to graduation. Will be an interesting 2 months. We all know Erie will sell at some point as they have nothing for draft picks of the higher variety and have some talent to give up to recoup some picks back along with getting a few young players. Time will tell I just hope Papineau knows that with every losing season the season ticket holders are disappearing and walk ups are for freebees. Something needs to give.

WJ

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Well the 2015 draft is looking more bleak. I recall the reports from our non exsistant manager at the time that we had a very good draft. After Levin, the Wolves selected Bulitka, Carson then Ali, Lane and Garagan. McGrath a few picks later. So far we have Levin a third year player who still seems to be learning the game and has made minimal progress defensively and will continue to be a minus player. Bulitka and Carson two players left along with McGrath. I have stated it before we needed more defence that draft year and we failed at picking up some quality guys instead picking up smallish forwards with the exception of Carson. This is why the defence is struggling at this point. We had nobody in the system that was developing the last two years. Ali saw limited icetime last season and struggled early on. I saw this coming as he could not be counted on to be in the top 4. And the fith and sixth spot is between Ross, Makkonen and Malik. With a lack of dman available out there and for those teams who have that vet we need it may be very expensive. Erie, Missisauga, Oshawa, Kitchener and Ottawa have extra guys but who goes and when. By the that time it may way too late for the Wolves. And one must ask. If the Wolves were looking at going for it next year why would they get rid of a player who would be back next season? I believe the Wolves can salvage this season by making a few deals to get older and go for it now. Too many holes next season and we lose way too many players to graduation. Will be an interesting 2 months. We all know Erie will sell at some point as they have nothing for draft picks of the higher variety and have some talent to give up to recoup some picks back along with getting a few young players. Time will tell I just hope Papineau knows that with every losing season the season ticket holders are disappearing and walk ups are for freebees. Something needs to give.

WJ

wasnt that a blane smith draft? the 2016/2017 drafts already look better then any draft from 2014/2015/2016

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
wasnt that a blane smith draft? the 2016/2017 drafts already look better then any draft from 2014/2015/2016

That was absolutely a Blaine Smith/Andrew Shaw draft. This group had some potential but in most cases they were never developed properly. Ali didn't play after Christmas last year and then was penciled in as a top 4 this year? Too much to ask for a player who was a nightmare in his own zone. Hopefully Kingston can fix him as he does have some good tools

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
That was absolutely a Blaine Smith/Andrew Shaw draft. This group had some potential but in most cases they were never developed properly. Ali didn't play after Christmas last year and then was penciled in as a top 4 this year? Too much to ask for a player who was a nightmare in his own zone. Hopefully Kingston can fix him as he does have some good tools

thanks thats what i thought. those drafts are why the wolves are iffy right now, the 97/98/99 aged players are not great, especially when you look at what some other teams have in that group. im sure branch deserves some hate, but not from a draft he had nothing to do with.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
I would say the 99 draft took players based on where they were ranked. Then unfortunately for those players they were not developed. My guess is any of these players would have developed more with any other organization. These players are for the most part products of an organization that was in complete upheaval. I would be careful to put any of this on the players. Just my observation when you compare the opportunity being given to the rookies now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad