Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015
As impatient as I'm getting with losing, it's becoming clear that this team is gearing up for a run just in time for the new arena.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What i saw so far, I agree Candela is not a shut down D, I don't have confidence with him on the PK too. However to blame Ross, Malik and Serentis for losses I don't see it, they are holding there own.

Insert O’Grady for any of the rookies with Candella at key moments, and your chances of success increase greatly. The vets don’t play (much) more than the rookie D, that is why I say the (team) - (not blaming rookies individually for losses) is not very interested in winning. Splitting 40-45 min per game among three rookies allows plenty of time for development. I doubt any team interested in wins gives more time that to rookie D.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Insert O’Grady for any of the rookies with Candella at key moments, and your chances of success increase greatly. The vets don’t play (much) more than the rookie D, that is why I say the (team) - (not blaming rookies individually for losses) is not very interested in winning. Splitting 40-45 min per game among three rookies allows plenty of time for development. I doubt any team interested in wins gives more time that to rookie D.

I watched the game yesterday, Serenitis and Ross got limited time compared to Malik, Condella, Rhodes and O'Grady.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
First let me start by saying 100% I agree with the coach in sitting the two players whether they are top scorers or not they should be disciplined even if you lose a game because if It. An overage player is brought in for leadership and if they do something against the team rules then the coach has to sit them or everything on unravels. So I am glad Stillman sat the two players in question.
Now onto your analysis of the game. I too watched it very closely. Levin is playing very well. He still struggles a little with being too fancy at inopportune times but he is playing very well overall. I see massive improvement in Ross he is going to be a very good defenseman in future years. Malek is improving exponentially so I am really happy with his development. He still makes mistakes but he has come along way in a short time.
As far as your assessment on the rookie forwards. Tabak needs à lot of work but will be much better in a year. Murray is very good and will only get better but scores alot of his goals on power play. He needs time to develop on five on five play. Hutchison can put the puck in the net but he can look lost and unsure often but he will improve. As for your comments on Bulitka and Guilhula I am actually surprised you would even lump them together. Since you watched both players so intently you would have seen Bulitka was almost perfect on face offs for two periods . I think he set Hutcheson up on two occasions one of which was a wide open net. He is one of the best penalty killers on the team on any given night. That is a kid that you might think doesn't do anything but many teams would gladly take off your hands. Guilhula came out very strong yesterday in the first period. He too had some good scoring opportunities but couldn't capitalize. He has not been one of my favorite players in the past but he has improved. I do think he needs to play more defensively at times but the coach seems to use him at the right times. ie when he plays well minutes up when he isn't minutes down. Baker to me is a roller coaster. He has been given a lot of opportunity with good linemates. He does give it 100% but he does need to be reigned in at times.
So I guess I watched a different game last night.

Great post, I agree with a lot what you have say. If you look at Levin game especially, you can see his game has gotten better, and have to credit coaching staff. He played a great game yesterday, made one bad mistake but played great regardless. It was encouraging that he played well without Sokolov. I see if we get some key veterans back and maybe couple more moves we should be ok.

Reactions: HockeyHell

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
no fit here.

Lol @ no fit here. Folks got to realize that season tickets only guareetees your seat not your specific lineup card or wins.

We need to trust the process and the people who are carrying out the plan. There will be a time for judgememt if failure materialize and thats when we ask for firing/replacements.

Reactions: cub

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005

I don't think I could disagree with you any more, in terms of actually playing defence Candella has been consistently the worst defencemen in the wolves lineup.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Lol @ no fit here. Folks got to realize that season tickets only guareetees your seat not your specific lineup card or wins.

We need to trust the process and the people who are carrying out the plan. There will be a time for judgememt if failure materialize and thats when we ask for firing/replacements.

16/20 teams make the playoffs. A team generally needs to make an effort to miss.
ie. get rid of vets to play youngsters; play rookies as much as vets in key spots

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Do we know what Sokolov and Lajeunesse did? Obviously it was bad enough that they were a healthy scratch. A lot of posters have some high expectations this season which i don't get, like i stated before the veterans we have a majority haven't played many games in the OHL. The veterans like Sokolov and Levin, have offensive power but have to learn to play 200 foot game, which Stillman is instilling in them.

On Defence it is pretty well whole new crew with 3 veterans and 3 rookies. The veteran Defenceman we have are decent but are not top pairing D. Malik, Ross, and Serentis are rookies but are holding there own.

McGrath is not in last year form and doesn't look like he will be stealing any games soon. Frappier seems to be looking better than him.

Stillman in my opinion is doing a great job, yes we need wins, but he is doing the right thing for this team in the future. When i hear guys say why they playing rookies so much, what alternative does he have? Some of these rookies are outscoring and playing better than veterans.

I trust the coaching staff and management, the team will get better once Carson comes back, not sure if Valentini is coming back. I'm sure Papineau is doing what he can make team better.

Went out to the bar Saturday night and missed the team curfew

wolfpack99

Oct 9, 2014
Great post, I agree with a lot what you have say. If you look at Levin game especially, you can see his game has gotten better, and have to credit coaching staff. He played a great game yesterday, made one bad mistake but played great regardless. It was encouraging that he played well without Sokolov. I see if we get some key veterans back and maybe couple more moves we should be ok.
Sherwood from flint would be
Went out to the bar Saturday night and missed the team curfew
plz get story strait does kid did not go to the bar .

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
I don't think I could disagree with you any more, in terms of actually playing defence Candella has been consistently the worst defencemen in the wolves lineup.

This goes back to my point most teams move players they don't want or no longer fit. It is what it is. He hasn't been good.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The only part about this post I disagree with is some of the blame on Bulitka and Gilhula. I think they both suffer from turnovers from their wingers and defence-men and bad line changes from the guys before them. I watch them both as they are usually the hardest back checkers after being in position going one way and then watching their teammates give away the puck. Yes they seem to be invisible, but I can't find too much blame when the puck they pass never gets back on their sticks.
This makes sense.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
16/20 teams make the playoffs. A team generally needs to make an effort to miss.
ie. get rid of vets to play youngsters; play rookies as much as vets in key spots

Are you saying wolves wil be drafting in the top 3 in this years draft?

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I guess Dirty12 you know exactly what is going on behind the bench? Rookie Defenceman to me look better than Veteran Defenceman. You always comment without looking at facts, you should look at who has the better plus/minus before you comment. Liam Ross has the highest plus/minus on the team. Your comment really has no merit. Not sure if you watched the game yesterday, Candella was absolutely terrible yesterday game. He was the cause for the first goal 43 seconds into game, he could not get puck out of his own zone, he ended up a -5 in this game.
Well cub that's a revelation to me about Ross' plus/minus as he in particular seemed to struggle mightily and seemed out of place (actually like a deer in the headlights on Huethers second goal) , such that he barely saw the ice for much of the second half of the game. Maybe it was just one game (I'll be watching) but just maybe his plus/minus is reflective of his ice time. Yes Candella struggled last night.

Last edited:

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Here we go again. Last year and many, many prior years the fans were upset that the kids didn't play and there was no discipline. The kids are playing now and there is some much needed on and off ice discipline and now the fans are upset that they aren't playing to win. Had the previous coaching/GM staff played the kids in previous years where a rebuild was obvious the Wolves would likely be winning now because you have a developed product. As it stands we have several rookies plus second and some third year players who didn't play very much the previous years still learning on the job. I would rather put up with some pain now and do it the right way then go with the vets and maybe win a playoff round because that has been proven to work well in the Wolves history. I get annoyed as well with some of the mistakes but I'd rather be annoyed now and have the mistakes corrected then what we have seen in previous years with layers making the same mistakes over and over again with no younger players ready to play because they haven't been given the time. The team will be much better off by December.

Reactions: HockeyHell and cub

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
First let me start by saying 100% I agree with the coach in sitting the two players whether they are top scorers or not they should be disciplined even if you lose a game because if It. An overage player is brought in for leadership and if they do something against the team rules then the coach has to sit them or everything on unravels. So I am glad Stillman sat the two players in question.
Now onto your analysis of the game. I too watched it very closely. Levin is playing very well. He still struggles a little with being too fancy at inopportune times but he is playing very well overall. I see massive improvement in Ross he is going to be a very good defenseman in future years. Malek is improving exponentially so I am really happy with his development. He still makes mistakes but he has come along way in a short time.
As far as your assessment on the rookie forwards. Tabak needs à lot of work but will be much better in a year. Murray is very good and will only get better but scores alot of his goals on power play. He needs time to develop on five on five play. Hutchison can put the puck in the net but he can look lost and unsure often but he will improve. As for your comments on Bulitka and Guilhula I am actually surprised you would even lump them together. Since you watched both players so intently you would have seen Bulitka was almost perfect on face offs for two periods . I think he set Hutcheson up on two occasions one of which was a wide open net. He is one of the best penalty killers on the team on any given night. That is a kid that you might think doesn't do anything but many teams would gladly take off your hands. Guilhula came out very strong yesterday in the first period. He too had some good scoring opportunities but couldn't capitalize. He has not been one of my favorite players in the past but he has improved. I do think he needs to play more defensively at times but the coach seems to use him at the right times. ie when he plays well minutes up when he isn't minutes down. Baker to me is a roller coaster. He has been given a lot of opportunity with good linemates. He does give it 100% but he does need to be reigned in at times.
So I guess I watched a different game last night.
Yes I may have missed that about Bulitka.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Here we go again. Last year and many, many prior years the fans were upset that the kids didn't play and there was no discipline. The kids are playing now and there is some much needed on and off ice discipline and now the fans are upset that they aren't playing to win. Had the previous coaching/GM staff played the kids in previous years where a rebuild was obvious the Wolves would likely be winning now because you have a developed product. As it stands we have several rookies plus second and some third year players who didn't play very much the previous years still learning on the job. I would rather put up with some pain now and do it the right way then go with the vets and maybe win a playoff round because that has been proven to work well in the Wolves history. I get annoyed as well with some of the mistakes but I'd rather be annoyed now and have the mistakes corrected then what we have seen in previous years with layers making the same mistakes over and over again with no younger players ready to play because they haven't been given the time. The team will be much better off by December.
Sure hope you're right. Time will tell. What about what Papineau said during his interview about the goal being to make the playoffs? Does he think the team can dig a hole and get out? Also does anyone know exactly what the kids did to warrant being sat out or will it remain shrouded in mystery??

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Sure hope you're right. Time will tell. What about what Papineau said during his interview about the goal being to make the playoffs? Does he think the team can dig a hole and get out? Also does anyone know exactly what the kids did to warrant being sat out or will it remain shrouded in mystery??

What did Pap say I didnt hear it.

Secondly why not a mystery. Read between the lines I assume. It really isnt our business. That's an in house issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad