Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
I'm excited for tomorrow. Goalie or Defense? What position does everyone think we take. I'm hoping for Defence and hope MaGrath or Frappier can figure it out with a stronger team in front of them

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I'm excited for tomorrow. Goalie or Defense? What position does everyone think we take. I'm hoping for Defence and hope MaGrath or Frappier can figure it out with a stronger team in front of them

I think they have to go with goalie, also being quite awhile for import goalies to be allowed to play in league, apparently alot of them what to come over.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
David Levin made my list-http://theohlcollective.com/notable-ohl-omissions-from-the-2018-nhl-draft/

If he stays healthy this coming season, I think we will see why this guy was drafted 1st overall in the OHL draft.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
David Levin made my list-http://theohlcollective.com/notable-ohl-omissions-from-the-2018-nhl-draft/

If he stays healthy this coming season, I think we will see why this guy was drafted 1st overall in the OHL draft.

Should have a good year being a 19 year old

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
I'm thinking goalie, we have a Czech connection with Malik, so maybe a Czech goalie, maybe a Lucas Dostal Jakub Skarek, Daniel Dvorak, Dominic Pavlat. Skarek drafted by NYI, and Dostal Ana. Dostal is a 2000 birth.

Good call cub on Wolves taking Goalie.

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen - top end Goalie, Buffalo 2nd round pick, played for Finland in World Juniors

That spells the end of McGrath

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
Now we have to have a creditable OHL defense because even the best goalie can't play behind what we have iced in recent years.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Good call cub on Wolves taking Goalie.

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen - top end Goalie, Buffalo 2nd round pick, played for Finland in World Juniors

That spells the end of McGrath

Nice pick up, where are you seeing this?, I'm on the CHL Import Draft not showing for me

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
What makes you so sure? Couldn't he play in the AHL this year? I know it's not common for a 19 ytear old goalie to play in AHL but it could happen.

At this point the only goaltenders under contract to the Buffalo Sabres are Johansson, Ullmark, Luukkonen. Luukkonen also currently has a pro contract in finland. I don't expect we'll be seeing him in Sudbury.

Even if we do I think this was a pretty bad pick. Sudbury is not winning anything this year, why draft a one year player? Seems to me they're keeping space for another mediocre Malik next year.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I trust that Papineau wasn't going to make the same mistake as Barclay Branch did two years ago. Papineau is serious about getting quality hockey talent here and its shaping up to be quite the roster of young talent that will be NHL players some day. Vets take notice and get serious now about training camp because a few more surprises are guaranteed to occur before and during camp. Excited for the young talent and some quality returnees like the Pilons, Murray, Stratis, Carson and Tabek. This pick up today couldn't be anymore clear about wanting to win. And winning starts with a goalie who can steal games, keep your team in games. We lost a lot of games last year because of those first two months of very inconsistent goalies. Culina was brought in but was too late and the injury bug hampered any chances of getting into playoff spot. The same mistake will not be made this year you can take that to the bank! Great job to the management on righting this ship. Hope people got their season tickets early cause you will be paying more to hop on the bandwagon. Can't wait for Byfield, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, Thompson, Pilons, Levin, Niznikov, Stratis, Carson, Hutchison, Tabek and company to take the ice.

WJ

Last edited:

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
At this point the only goaltenders under contract to the Buffalo Sabres are Johansson, Ullmark, Luukkonen. Luukkonen also currently has a pro contract in finland. I don't expect we'll be seeing him in Sudbury.

Even if we do I think this was a pretty bad pick. Sudbury is not winning anything this year, why draft a one year player? Seems to me they're keeping space for another mediocre Malik next year.

Cmon that is a pretty negative outlook for a team that is on the upswing. You have some amazing talent returning and some very impressive rookies. The team will make the playoffs and scouts will be invading the arena to get a solid look on all the prospects. You have to be somewhat excited for whats to come finally! The pick today will report IMO and will be working at getting a professional contract with Buffalo. If Malik comes next year as this goalie leaves that ok too. Malik brother is a pretty exceptional goalie from all reports. Lets be more optimistic about what this team is doing. I can finally say after years of mediocrity this management and ownership is serious about winning. That you can't deny. They are hungry to prove people that the Wolves will ice a very competitive team for years leading into a new arena. They need to fill the barn.

WJ

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
This team outside of Sokolov the last few years, struggles to score goals. London with pick #42 takes Matvei Guskov from Russia rated in the first round 2019 NHL draft This is why many casual fans have left watching the Wolves. The league has the haves and the have nots, and we always fall into the latter category. The Sporting News ranked Guskov #1 in the import draft and he probably would only commit to London.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
This team outside of Sokolov the last few years, struggles to score goals. London with pick #42 takes Matvei Guskov from Russia rated in the first round 2019 NHL draft This is why many casual fans have left watching the Wolves. The league has the haves and the have nots, and we always fall into the latter category. The Sporting News ranked Guskov #1 in the import draft and he probably would only commit to London.

Im not worried about the Wolves scoring this year. Its defending thats more the white elephant in the room. I suspect that Papineau will be making some moves to bolster that department before the season starts.

WJ

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Cmon that is a pretty negative outlook for a team that is on the upswing. You have some amazing talent returning and some very impressive rookies. The team will make the playoffs and scouts will be invading the arena to get a solid look on all the prospects. You have to be somewhat excited for whats to come finally! The pick today will report IMO and will be working at getting a professional contract with Buffalo. If Malik comes next year as this goalie leaves that ok too. Malik brother is a pretty exceptional goalie from all reports. Lets be more optimistic about what this team is doing. I can finally say after years of mediocrity this management and ownership is serious about winning. That you can't deny. They are hungry to prove people that the Wolves will ice a very competitive team for years leading into a new arena. They need to fill the barn.

WJ

You do realize he already signed his contract with Buffalo. Not trying to be negative but I can see where DJ is coming from. Why not take a guy that can help you for two seasons. In all likelihood we have a better chance next year then this year.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Luukkonen is 3rd goalie of his SM liiga team.
It's hard to see him getting much starts in HPK when they have 2 other goalies ( Larmi and Karjalainen) competing liiga minutes.

Luukkonen is promising young goalie who needs to play much more than what he gets in HPK.
Last word where Luukkonen will play next season belongs to Buffalo Sabres so lets see what happen.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
You do realize he already signed his contract with Buffalo. Not trying to be negative but I can see where DJ is coming from. Why not take a guy that can help you for two seasons. In all likelihood we have a better chance next year then this year.
Its about winning this year. If the Wolves pick again next year cause he stays only one season who cares. Another exciting prospect will be there. Those import draft are pre determined most of the time. London picks one of the best players because it was most likely orchestrated that way. The same with Papineau. He wanted a goalie who can win games and this kid needs to play quality minutes in a strong league. Buffalo will want him to play at least one season in the OHL. I am not convinced he was picked for nothing at #3. And if all fails Lipanov is still a possibility to return. The Wolves are in a good spot regardless. Lets look at the positive side. Im sure the plan for this pick was well thought out lets be honest. Papineau is much brighter in this department than Branch was two years ago.

WJ

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Its about winning this year. If the Wolves pick again next year cause he stays only one season who cares. Another exciting prospect will be there. Those import draft are pre determined most of the time. London picks one of the best players because it was most likely orchestrated that way. The same with Papineau. He wanted a goalie who can win games and this kid needs to play quality minutes in a strong league. Buffalo will want him to play at least one season in the OHL. I am not convinced he was picked for nothing at #3. And if all fails Lipanov is still a possibility to return. The Wolves are in a good spot regardless. Lets look at the positive side. Im sure the plan for this pick was well thought out lets be honest. Papineau is much brighter in this department than Branch was two years ago.

WJ
I really think if our plan B is Lipanov returning, that's a terrible plan. He's the definition of mediocrity and we need to replace him with younger and better players.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016

WJ

Excellent points!

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I trust that Papineau wasn't going to make the same mistake as Barclay Branch did two years ago. Papineau is serious about getting quality hockey talent here and its shaping up to be quite the roster of young talent that will be NHL players some day. Vets take notice and get serious now about training camp because a few more surprises are guaranteed to occur before and during camp. Excited for the young talent and some quality returnees like the Pilons, Murray, Stratis, Carson and Tabek. This pick up today couldn't be anymore clear about wanting to win. And winning starts with a goalie who can steal games, keep your team in games. We lost a lot of games last year because of those first two months of very inconsistent goalies. Culina was brought in but was too late and the injury bug hampered any chances of getting into playoff spot. The same mistake will not be made this year you can take that to the bank! Great job to the management on righting this ship. Hope people got their season tickets early cause you will be paying more to hop on the bandwagon. Can't wait for Byfield, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, Thompson, Pilons, Levin, Niznikov, Stratis, Carson, Hutchison, Tabek and company to take the ice.

WJ

Missed you WJ.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I'm with Wolfman Jack, my bet Papineau made sure he is coming, the best way to build a team from the net out in my opinion. I believe the Wolves lost 17 games by one goal, good goaltending can recoup minimum half of those losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad