Player Discussion Subban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Very well put. A smart businessman like Molson would never let this happen.

being born into wealth and opportunity does not make one smart...

keep in mind that Molson hired MB & gave him that 7-year extension.

Nothing done by Molson as president of the Habs reflects smart or saavy business sense, beyond forcing MB to give PK/Meehan what they wanted (assuming that he did make that call).

all we can do is cross our fingers that he's smart enough to pick PK over MB/MT.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

Nothing done by Molson as president of the Habs reflects smart or saavy business sense, beyond forcing MB to give PK/Meehan what they wanted (assuming that he did make that call).

all we can do is cross our fingers that he's smart enough to pick PK over MB/MT.

If he had given him the 7 year, 6.5 contract he wanted in the first place...

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005

The value of Habs has doubled since Molson purchased them, so he's made $600M in 6 years. And he's focusing his investments (condos or whatever) not on the hockey team, but in businesses that profit off the Habs. He knows the arena will be filled every night as long as the team is decent. He doesn't have to push to be a winner. We could easily have the best front office and coach in the league if we spent the money like Toronto has done. Instead we spend far below our revenue levels. So his savvy cannot be understated. With Toronto being perennially poor, they get a free pass as well. If Toronto starts winning again with a franchise stud like Mathews, you'll see Molson change his tune then.

It costs a lot of money to win championships. And if you're already selling out, why bother right?

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal

Man, if this is true, just wow. NHL hates to market its players, and one of them has his own brand, promotes hockey throughout youth with this logo, and apparently a group of players do not like this? This is just drama central right now.

Just wait till you see the videos of the interviews.... Pacioretty is wearing a cap..... ITS NOT A HABS CAP!!
Ppl love to make stories FOR NO EFFIN REASON!!

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Very well put. A smart businessman like Molson would never let this happen.

Well put..but therein may exist some of the problem. No player is bigger than the crest. Not even PK. Folks are putting him on a pedestal..what exactly has he did with team to without Price. How many games has he singlehandedly won?

I think he's a great player..but there are other good players on this team too..let's not make him out to be indispensable if he really is a polarizing figure. We're not in that room..but good sources tell me he really is hard to deal with...he just never stops. You are with a guy like that all the time..you can only take so much.no matter how good he is.

People who are saying they wouldn't consider EDM's top pick, Draisaitl and Nurse for PK..are you crazy?

There would be $7M freed up to spend on a good dman through trade or a signing. Habs could well end up with Matthews and Juolevi through the draft..having Draisaitl and Matthews would allow them to deal Pleks for a dman sooner rather than later..and Eller too..Scherbak could b moved back to the wing.

Within 2 years look at this lineup:

Patch Matthews Scherbak
Chuck Draisital Gallagher
DLR McCarron Lehkonen/Hudon/
Lessio Mitchell Lehkonen/Hudon

Any one of a number of other prospects could push for bottom six spots too or players picked up in Eller/Plekanec and other deals

Nurse Petry
XXX Juolevi
Juulsen Beaulieu
Lernout

Price
Fucale

Weise, DSP, Flynn, Emelin, Pateryn, Gilbert etc. can be dealt for more picks.

I wouldn't dismiss this scenario..actually looks pretty intriguing to me.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006

Patch Matthews Scherbak

Any one of a number of other prospects could push for bottom six spots too or players picked up in Eller/Plekanec and other deals

Nurse Petry
XXX Juolevi
Juulsen Beaulieu
Lernout

Price
Fucale

I'm surprised you put Galcheyuk on the wing, why?

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I'm surprised you put Galcheyuk on the wing, why?

Because Matthews and Draisaitl are more suited to enter and unlike Chuck have played there ALL their lives?

Patch-Chuck would be a helluva one-two punch at LW..just like Matthews/Draisaitl at center.. Looks deadly to me.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Because Matthews and Draisaitl are more suited to enter and unlike Chuck have played there ALL their lives?

Patch-Chuck would be a helluva one-two punch at LW..just like Matthews/Draisaitl at center.. Looks deadly to me.

Wouldn't it be better in that scenario to simply trade Galcheyuk?

habdynasty

May 26, 2008

Start the dream team thread ! I see mcdavid as my #1 center

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
BTW -

Nurse Petry
XXX Juolevi
Juulsen Beaulieu
Lernout

Juolei will be a top two dman..just perhaps not within two yr..an Juulsen a top four. Perhaps Nurse is a seond pairing guy....as fr as I'm concerned there would be five or six top four dmen..That would be a tremendous group to grow with...

And even if you don't get Juolevi..well there is also Chychrun, Sergachev. I really don't think trading PK woul doom this team if you got that type of return. In fact I'm not sure EDM would do it.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
I don't see Edmonton making any of the deals proposed.

I could see them dealing the 1st overall for OEL if they win the lottery, without having to move Draisatl or Nurse.

Also, I really don't think they'll move Draisatl, RNH will be the one to go.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Wouldn't it be better in that scenario to simply trade Galcheyuk?

Why? Another large assumption around here..that Chuck is guaranteed to be a great center. I have been a frustrated as other about his usage...but he hasn't blown me away at center. Even his junior coach moved him to the wing..and he has not been sensational defensively. He has that great one-timer off the wing too....less pressure playing the wing..especially on the second line..he could be deadly there.

Has he not look good on the wing with Gally and Plek? Imagine with an even better center.

There would be piles of options..and no..if he played the wing it would not mean he as a bad pick...it has to be remembered that the 2012 draft was not gem...already some guys who look like possible busts in the top ten...but Chuck isn't one of them.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Why? Another large assumption around here..that Chuck is guaranteed to be a great center. I have been a frustrated as other about his usage...but he hasn't blown me away at center. Even his junior coach moved him to the wing..and he has not been sensational defensively. He has that great one-timer off the wing too....less pressure playing the wing..especially on the second line..he could be deadly there.

Has he not look good on the wing with Gally and Plek? Imagine with an even better center.

There would be piles of options..and no..if he played the wing it would not mean he as a bad pick...it has to be remembered that the 2012 draft was not gem...already some guys who look like possible busts in the top ten...but Chuck isn't one of them.

I totally agree, the fact that we haven't had an ideal 1C in so long shouldn't even be a factor in where Galchenyuk will play. What if we had drafted Giroux? Then it would be fine for Galchenyuk to be a LW if that's where he looks the best, but right now people are obsessed with him becoming a center just because it's a need, it doesn't mean it's what's best for him.

You're right about when he was moved to the wing in Sarnia, that's actually when he started really piling up the points if I remember correctly.

Oct 22, 2012
Just wait till you see the videos of the interviews.... Pacioretty is wearing a cap..... ITS NOT A HABS CAP!!
Ppl love to make stories FOR NO EFFIN REASON!!

Yeah some people eat it up.

The hate he gets towards his brand, and the NHLs piss poor job of marketing players is the real issue.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Funny how we are continually being asked to look at a potential roster two years hence?
Guess what we were projecting two years ago?
Certainly not the steaming pile we've become this year.
The closest we ever seem to get is two years out.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Posted this on the main board, but I want more habs fan view on this POV.

Let's be real. If Subban is dealt to the Oilers, they would have to overpay for obvious reasons ;

1. Subban is probably the biggest seller in the league with Ovy/McDavid/Crosby.
2. He has the most influence outside of hockey, he's being recognise by other Superstar in every other sports.
3. He is EXACTLY what they need to finally be able to join the playoffs.

So Oilers owners would be more than happy to give a little overpay for a player that will sell for them beside McDavid.

Draisaitl + Klefbom + 1st pick 2016 + capdump VS Subban
And maybe even add to it ; Eller + 2nd pick VS Yakupov

Let's say that Montreal end up with the 5th pick and oilers with the 2nd one. Pick Laine and one of ; Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Chychrun.

Montreal would have enough money to sign Okposo in the summer.

Pacioretty - Draisaitl - Gallagher
Laine - Galcheynuk - Okposo
Hudon/Carr - Plekanec - Yakupov
That's a real good top9, huh.

Klefbom - Petry
Beaulieu - ??Trade/Ufa
Markov - Pateryn

Price

So, yeah, I don't think that MB gonna trade Subban. But let's be honest here, it wouldn't be so bad? And that would leave a lot of other minor trade to happen like ;

-Fleishman VS prospect/picks, @Deadline.
-Weise VS prospect/picks, @Deadline.
-Desharnais VS prospect/picks, @Deadline.
-Gilbert VS prospect/picks, @Deadline.
-Emelin VS prospect/picks, @Draft.

And we would have more than enough market value to trade for a good Top4 Dmen like Trouba and re-sign him. Like Calgary did with Hamilton.
Klefbom-Trouba
Beaulieu-Petry, I would be fine with that.
That would also give us a bigger prospect pool and another big prospect name with our 5th pick.

And don't forget ; Prospect that could join the team next year :
-Juulsen, If he is faster. McCarron, Ellis, Carr, Andrighetto, DeLaRose, Hudon, Fucale. ( one of ; Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Chychrun. )

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Well put..but therein may exist some of the problem. No player is bigger than the crest. Not even PK. Folks are putting him on a pedestal..what exactly has he did with team to without Price. How many games has he singlehandedly won?

I think he's a great player..but there are other good players on this team too..let's not make him out to be indispensable if he really is a polarizing figure. We're not in that room..but good sources tell me he really is hard to deal with...he just never stops. You are with a guy like that all the time..you can only take so much.no matter how good he is.

People who are saying they wouldn't consider EDM's top pick, Draisaitl and Nurse for PK..are you crazy?

There would be $7M freed up to spend on a good dman through trade or a signing. Habs could well end up with Matthews and Juolevi through the draft..having Draisaitl and Matthews would allow them to deal Pleks for a dman sooner rather than later..and Eller too..Scherbak could b moved back to the wing.

Patch Matthews Scherbak

Nurse Petry
XXX Juolevi
Juulsen Beaulieu
Lernout

Price
Fucale

Weise, DSP, Flynn, Emelin, Pateryn, Gilbert etc. can be dealt for more picks.

I wouldn't dismiss this scenario..actually looks pretty intriguing to me.

The likelihood of your lineup has the best case scenario happening in so many cases and Habs making a U-Turn on development.

1) Trade away Eller/DD/Markov
2) Fire MT at end of season and hire Guy Boucher
3) Win lottery and draft Matthews
4) Sign Stamkos as UFA, Subban/Boucher playing a role in the luring
5) Price actually returns to 100%
6) Sign Nygren by guaranteeing him a NHL spot on PP barring horrible camp

Next Season:
Matthews - Galchenyuk - Stamkos
Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Hudon - DLR/McCarron - Andrighetto
Byron - Mitchell - Carr
DSP/Lessio

Beaulieu - Subban
Emelin - Petry
<prospect returned for Markov> - Nygren
Pateryn

Price
Condon

I like my scenario better. ;)

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Posted this on the main board, but I want more habs fan view on this POV.

Let's be real. If Subban is dealt to the Oilers, they would have to overpay for obvious reasons ;

1. Subban is probably the biggest seller in the league with Ovy/McDavid/Crosby.
2. He has the most influence outside of hockey, he's being recognise by other Superstar in every other sports.
3. He is EXACTLY what they need to finally be able to join the playoffs.

So Oilers owners would be more than happy to give a little overpay for a player that will sell for them beside McDavid.

Draisaitl + Klefbom + 1st pick 2016 + capdump VS Subban
And maybe even add to it ; Eller + 2nd pick VS Yakupov

Let's say that Montreal end up with the 5th pick and oilers with the 2nd one. Pick Laine and one of ; Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Chychrun.

Montreal would have enough money to sign Okposo in the summer.

Pacioretty - Draisaitl - Gallagher
Laine - Galcheynuk - Okposo
Hudon/Carr - Plekanec - Yakupov
That's a real good top9, huh.

Klefbom - Petry
Beaulieu - ??Trade/Ufa
Markov - Pateryn

Price

So, yeah, I don't think that MB gonna trade Subban. But let's be honest here, it wouldn't be so bad? And that would leave a lot of other minor trade to happen like ;

-Fleishman VS prospect/picks, @Deadline.
-Weise VS prospect/picks, @Deadline.
-Desharnais VS prospect/picks, @Deadline.
-Gilbert VS prospect/picks, @Deadline.
-Emelin VS prospect/picks, @Draft.

And we would have more than enough market value to trade for a good Top4 Dmen like Trouba and re-sign him. Like Calgary did with Hamilton.
Klefbom-Trouba
Beaulieu-Petry, I would be fine with that.
That would also give us a bigger prospect pool and another big prospect name with our 5th pick.

And don't forget ; Prospect that could join the team next year :
-Juulsen, If he is faster. McCarron, Ellis, Carr, Andrighetto, DeLaRose, Hudon, Fucale. ( one of ; Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Chychrun. )

That defense would get absolutely HAMMERED.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
This is just one team executive throwing fuel on the fire imo, seeing what will shake loose. And it's all Therrien's fault for supporting the moron element in the crowd.

Bergevin made a huge mistake with that bridge contract, but I've liked his other moves. His options have been limited, let's face it. I'm not ready to give up on him, and highly doubt he'd do anything stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad