Post-Game Talk: Stuart S14inner

Would you trade for Elvis?

• Total voters

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Not every 1st overall is going to be a generation talent some even bust in the case of Yakupov, Stefan, and then there's the ones who loose interest in hockey Daigle. Generation is about 25 years, and these generational players are supposed to be the best player in a while and having one per draft seams to dilute that status.

Since 2000
2000 - Dipietro Was decent to good, but with injuries never really became established
2001 - Kovalchuk Was a great goal scorer and 1st line winger not generational (Maybe due to ATL being terrible)
2002 - Nash Was a great goal scorer and 1st line winger not generational (Maybe due to Jackets being terrible)
2003 - Fleury Generational Goalie
2004 - Ovechkin Generational scoring winger
2005 - Crosby Generational Center
2006 - E Johnson journeymen defenseman not generational
2007 - P Kane great 1st line playmaking winger, played on a good team (Debatable? IMO not)
2008 - Stamkos High scoring 1st line center, team success (Debatable? IMO not)
2009 - Tavares 1st line center not generational
2010 - Hall top six winger injurys and the decade of darkness not generational
2011 - Nuge top six forward see above not generational
2012 - Yakupov Bust
2013 - Mackinnon 1st line center Generational?
2014 - Ekblad good defensemen not generational
2015 - McDavid Generational
2016 - Matthews pacing with Ovechkin GPG Generational
2017 - Hischier first line forward not generational
2018 - Dahlin good offensive defensemen, but challenging some of the decade of darkness Oilers for the green jacket, Not generational
2019 - J Hughes Kind of early to tell but the offensive game is there
2020 - Lafreniere maybe a top six forward probably not generational

Maybe 6 generational players (Fleury, Crosby, Ovechkin, Mackinnon, McDavid, Matthews) in 20 1st overalls.
Disagree with Matthews and McKinnon. While top players not generational. Mathews may not even be second best in the league at any given point in his career. May jot even be best on his team it's close.
McKinnon wasn't Crosby or Ovechkin and in the same generation. Played on a very good team helped.
Might even be an argument that Ovi was a great scorer and only Crosby is the generational one.

Not going to get into goalies I don't know much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kerberos

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Disagree with Matthews and McKinnon. While top players not generational. Mathews may not even be second best in the league at any given point in his career. May jot even be best on his team it's close.
McKinnon wasn't Crosby or Ovechkin and in the same generation. Played on a very good team helped.
Might even be an argument that Ovi was a great scorer and only Crosby is the generational one.

Not going to get into goalies I don't know much.

If you count Ovechkin, Matthews has been matching his goals per game. Kind of seams off putting, as much as I hate the Leafs I'll admit he's probably the best goal scorer in the league.

And Mackinnon had a slow start to his career, but his play of late has been dominate thats why I left a question mark by his name as I seen it as debatable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad