Post-Game Talk: Stuart S14inner

Would you trade for Elvis?

• Total voters

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
So would you discredit McDavid's playmaking ability if Drasaitl, Hyman, RNH ect couldn't finish the play? Not comparing Hesmky to McDavid just I remember often Hemsky setting up empty nets for players that didn't convert.
What do you have against McDavid? He is a good player.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So would you discredit McDavid's playmaking ability if Drasaitl, Hyman, RNH ect couldn't finish the play? Not comparing Hesmky to McDavid just I remember often Hemsky setting up empty nets for players that didn't convert.
I remember often players staring at empty nets waiting for the pass and instead Hemsky is playing with the puck getting stripped trying to make 3 moves at once. Hemsky overplayed chronically and it cost the team production. Sure he made plays, he took a lot away as well and with Smyth pretty much outing that. I always agreed with Smyth that Hemksy sometimes had blinders on.

I don't know either that I'm discrediting a player that is only, as I stated a footnote in Oilers history. I mean Hemsky doesn't even exist in any alltime statline. He's way down the list in anything. If anything I'm clarifying that Hemsky only was seen as some kind of star player largely from fans that had rarely seen such players in Oilers silks.

Initially I was excited about Hemmer as well. But again out of a want for a player that could look sometimes like a star. These were at times where the team was often talent starved. Times where the small market team had a small market lineup.

Nothing, its a reply to a poster discrediting Hemsky's playmaking as it was only cause player X could finish.
Is there really any question Ryan Smyth could finish? Was that ever a question? Smyth is up there in Oilers greats on that scoring statline. I never said what you allege in anycase. I said some of assists of Hemsky were due to the finishing ability of players like Smyth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think the best thing about this win was that it popped into their head that you don't have to be beyond the circles to score goals. Every goal was right in the blue paint.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
I remember often players staring at empty nets waiting for the pass and instead Hemsky is playing with the puck getting stripped trying to make 3 moves at once. Hemsky overplayed chronically and it cost the team production. Sure he made plays, he took a lot away as well and with Smyth pretty much outing that. I always agreed with Smyth that Hemksy sometimes had blinders on.

I don't know either that I'm discrediting a player that is only, as I stated a footnote in Oilers history. I mean Hemsky doesn't even exist in any alltime statline. He's way down the list in anything. If anything I'm clarifying that Hemsky only was seen as some kind of star player largely from fans that had rarely seen such players in Oilers silks.

Initially I was excited about Hemmer as well. But again out of a want for a player that could look sometimes like a star. These were at times where the team was often talent starved. Times where the small market team had a small market lineup.

Is there really any question Ryan Smyth could finish? Was that ever a question? Smyth is up there in Oilers greats on that scoring statline. hemsky is not.

Actually there's not much difference and its mostly due to games played Smyth is 9th overall in team scoring, Weight 10th, and Hemsky 11th.

Smyth - 971GP 296G 335A 631P .65PPG
Hemsky - 652GP 142G 335A 477P .73PPG

Where is this Hemsky not in Oilers stats when he out produced points per game and would have passed Smyth on the list if he wasn't missing about 20+ games in multiple seasons. And Hemsky was a play maker and Smyth was a net front on the PP, citing the goal difference is irrelevant. And you completely missed my point.

Last edited:
Reactions: RegDunlop

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013

Is there really any question Ryan Smyth could finish? Was that ever a question? Smyth is up there in Oilers greats on that scoring statline. I never said what you allege in anycase. I said some of assists of Hemsky were due to the finishing ability of players like Smyth.
I think you're discrediting Hemsky way too much.
Not saying he didn't have some of the warts you've pointed out in this & other posts but he was a good, creative player who didn't have as much help around him as we would have liked. He was also fearless.
He would look ridiculous, being a right winger & all, on this team with Drai or McDavid IMO.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I said Hemsky wasn't good at finishing. One reason for that was passing off on using the shot, or trying to make another, or two dekes before taking a shot. Hemsky was a very frustrating player that would often overplay instead of taking what was there. Hemsky would also be too busy trying to deke players to read the ice and what was open. Like Smyth inferred you don't have to play with blinders out there.

As far as shot specifically his career shooting % was 10%.

The thing with Hemsky is he didn't withstand a hit into the boards like say Drai or McD or Hall etc could. He wasn't that strong on his skates. Hemsky would far too often put himself in position for harm being first to puck in situations where he wasn't going to survive hit and thus lose the puck, and be injured instead of just playing it smarter.

Alright on the first point... passing is not finishing. That's a fair point.

As for the latter, I don't know that is fair. Hemsky was literally our only singular offensive threat in an era where headshots were not only ~allowed, but were encouraged by salary structures and a very lax DOPS. He was a huge target out there... and once you got Hemsky off his game (or out of the game, since getting hit hard made him play better in general)... then you'd win the game cuz Reasoner and Horcoff weren't going to drive a line and Smyth had nobody to get him the puck.

I'll leave Drai out of this (he's physically an ox), but McD and Hall... I mean we have no idea how long these guys would last if they were being checked in the head every night rather than shoulder to shoulder. McD I think would be fine, he has eyes in the back of his head... but Hall, Eberle? I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have suffered a similar fate as Hemsky... well maybe not Eberle, he wouldn't know a corner to save his life (which is exactly my point).

Reactions: RegDunlop

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Can't say I'm surprised that he chose to move the goalposts to the playoffs after he probably realized that he was made to look like a complete idiot.

Hilariously though, he contradicts himself in this stupid rant. "They only beat shitty teams on this run, and ONLY 6 of them were ahead of them in the standings!" What is it? We only play shitty teams or we are beating teams ahead of us? It's an even split, idiot.

"I EXPECT this out of this team so it isn't impressive" after slagging their defence, saying they're a one man show, and a poor defensive team. Which one is it?

"ONLY 17 of the last 53 goals were from depth players!" No f***ing shit. I guarantee that's the case for pretty much any team in the league.

Guy is just a complete putz.

That's pretty much a third of your goal scoring! I'm happy with that, very happy! What the hell does he want - 50% from bottom 6? Kind of a stupid take

Reactions: bellagiobob

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Oilers allowed 5 shots in the third. One trickled on net that Stu covered and may not have gone in. Another was a floater from the blue line. 2 were in the last minute on the PP in a game that was already decided. This has been the norm over this winning streak. Just incredible 3rd periods.

Also, the team is now 6 points ahead of the 9th seed with 2 games in hand. And 1pt ahead of the leafs with 2 games in hand (most of my buddies are leaf fans so I felt the need to include this). Just wow!

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Oh people constantly talked as if Weight and Smyth were keeping Hemsky down or something. People always had a weakness for highlight reel goals vs players that just make good cerebral plays like Weight, For all the Hemsky applaud so many of his assists were due to players like Smyth finishing. Something Hemsky wasn't actually good at. Only two times Hemsky even hit 20 goals. That Hemsky would get popped in the gourd so many times was due to his own stubborn willingness to eat punishment.

Cmon Drive
I think you're way off here

Reactions: alanschu

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That's pretty much a third of your goal scoring! I'm happy with that, very happy! What the hell does he want - 50% from bottom 6? Kind of a stupid take

It's always something. If the Oilers fix something, the fix gets qualified because the opponents sucked, it wasn't fixed just perfectly, hasn't been tested in the playoffs yet, the narrative preferred players weren't the ones to fix it, hasn't been fixed long enough, fix won't work next season, etc, etc.

Very rare to just hear unqualified praise of the Oilers. It's always something. You don't hear anyone fretting about the Avalanche being top heavy, for example. Currently they're running their top line like 27 mins per game (that's 18/19 level here!), but when I've seen that issue raised on panels it gets brushed off as not a problem. Meanwhile we still get ragged on about relying too heavily on our stars even though it isn't even true anymore.

Reactions: TB12 and RegDunlop

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton

As for the latter, I don't know that is fair. Hemsky was literally our only singular offensive threat in an era where headshots were not only ~allowed, but were encouraged by salary structures and a very lax DOPS. He was a huge target out there... and once you got Hemsky off his game (or out of the game, since getting hit hard made him play better in general)... then you'd win the game cuz Reasoner and Horcoff weren't going to drive a line and Smyth had nobody to get him the puck.

I'll leave Drai out of this (he's physically an ox), but McD and Hall... I mean we have no idea how long these guys would last if they were being checked in the head every night rather than shoulder to shoulder. McD I think would be fine, he has eyes in the back of his head... but Hall, Eberle? I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have suffered a similar fate as Hemsky... well maybe not Eberle, he wouldn't know a corner to save his life (which is exactly my point).

Absolutely
There is a reason the UltraMaroon, Milan, and now Kane get first line shifts at times.
Same as there was for CementHead, McClelland, Marty, and others shot gunned Wayne and company.

Who the f**k was helping Hemsky?

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023

Not knowing a corner my have saved his life.

Reactions: bucks_oil

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Then there was this Hemmer goal against the Flames, too bad I can't find one with Philips call of "Regehr has doo doo all over his face"

Was Regehr really ever even good because he was a total pylon when he had to play Hemsky legally. That's AHL level defense there, dude moved like he had 50 pound weights tied to each skate.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Not knowing a corner my have saved his life.

Lol... I'm totally with you. I'm a goalie... y'all are crazy!

In seriousness though, and I don't need to pick on you @Drivesaitl, but you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. You hate soft players that avoid contact, and here you are victim-shaming Hemsky for putting himself in danger by playing hard and being willing to take hits to make plays.

And it stinks, because if you go back and read that article I posted... anyone who was around to see Hemsky, especially those who only remember the end of his career, should go and read it... well then you'd realize what a tremendous personal toll he took for his team and our entertainment.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
It's always something. If the Oilers fix something, the fix gets qualified because the opponents sucked, it wasn't fixed just perfectly, hasn't been tested in the playoffs yet, the narrative preferred players weren't the ones to fix it, hasn't been fixed long enough, fix won't work next season, etc, etc.

Very rare to just hear unqualified praise of the Oilers. It's always something. You don't hear anyone fretting about the Avalanche being top heavy, for example. Currently they're running their top line like 27 mins per game (that's 18/19 level here!), but when I've seen that issue raised on panels it gets brushed off as not a problem. Meanwhile we still get ragged on about relying too heavily on our stars even though it isn't even true anymore.
McDrai play 23 mins - Oilers have no depth, stars getting wornout, will have nothing left for the playoffs. Selfish players just padding stats with extra icetime.

Avs duo plays 27 mins - Unreal cardio from both those guys, both are in incredible shape, doing whatever they have to do to help the team win. True leadership.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
McDrai play 23 mins - Oilers have no depth, stars getting wornout, will have nothing left for the playoffs. Selfish players just padding stats with extra icetime.

Avs duo plays 27 mins - Unreal cardio from both those guys, both are in incredible shape, doing whatever they have to do to help the team win. True leadership.

That's literally it.

Lundqvuist basically said that verbatim on a panel a week or two ago. "You can't take those guys off the ice, it's only January they aren't running out of steam now."

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lol... I'm totally with you. I'm a goalie... y'all are crazy!

In seriousness though, and I don't need to pick on you @Drivesaitl, but you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. You hate soft players that avoid contact, and here you are victim-shaming Hemsky for putting himself in danger by playing hard and being willing to take hits to make plays.

And it stinks, because if you go back and read that article I posted... anyone who was around to see Hemsky, especially those who only remember the end of his career, should go and read it... well then you'd realize what a tremendous personal toll he took for his team and our entertainment.

Let me explain.

I've always respected players that can hit, and that know how and where to take a hit. This is consistent throughout my views on players. hemsky was not one of those players. Far too many times he put himself in positions where his head, or he would be sent crashing to the boards.

Sacrificing yourself to injury isn't smart, and it isn't value to club. hemsky could not take, or reverse hit like other players can. I don't worry about any of McDrai taking or giving a hit because they can. not much was served from Hemsky taking those hits, and it wasn't matters either of taking the hit to make a play. Almost all the times Hemsky was being nailed into the boards he was laying there while opponent took the puck. Theres a lot of nuance in physical play and what advisable, and what is not, and what advisable for different types of players. Hemsky, jmo, wasn't strong enough to handle the hits he was taking, particularly from larger D.

Not comparing the two, at all, but neither were players like Yamamoto and I'm using him to highlight that I am consistent on the matter. just because Yams had a willingness to take hits and go flying wasn't big in my books. it was negligible value. However the player that takes a hit and still has the puck, or makes the play before being hit, thats different.

Now of course one could say they respect the bravery of Hemsky, and no doubt he was, and there can be valor in that. But there wasn't necessarily a lot of benefit to player or team in how Hemsky was getting nailed. He was skilled enough in skating ability to avoid some of those hits and refused to. Ultimately its this kind of thing that ended his career prematurely and limited his peak prematurely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad