Rumor: Strickland: EDM has 7 and 8yr deals confirmed with Hyman

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
The very nature of him offering Dubas something indicates that he prefers it, because otherwise he'd just negotiate a 7 year deal and be done with it.

You wont get through to him... at this point i'm convinced hes just trolling. For someone who doesn't want an 8 year and insists that Edmonton wants 7 years, they talk an awful lot about 8th year and how its in Toronto's interest to get that "FREE" pick.

Reactions: Rob Brown and cyris

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Not really sure about most of these takes TBH - from either side. Seems the thread just turned bitter.

From a Toronto perspective there is no reason to be in a hurry to close the deal. Despite rumours, this could still be a bargaining tactic by Hyman's camp to try and get Toronto to come up to meet the term or $. It's in Dubas' interest to keep the channel open up to the end if he wants the player back, which I'm sure he does. Part of this is also about calling Hyman's bluff to see if he comes down closer to the Leafs number. At the same time he can wait and see if Holland will come down to his asking price for the 8th year. Once you do the trade, Hyman is gone, so there is no benefit to just closing the door day 1 if you don't need to.

From an Edmonton perspective there is no reason to pay a 2nd for 500K cap space, it's just over half a percent of the cap, not even an entry level/league minimum figure. You have the deals already agreed to in advance so either term clearly works for the Oilers - if you can get it done for a lesser asset, then you do, if you can't then you live with it. There's also no reason to take the 6th off the table just because Dubas is sticking to the 2nd, or continuing to talk to Hyman.

The only way Holland pays the 2nd is if he panics and thinks Hyman will jump ship at FA, since he has already had offers over 6M.

It's laughable that Dubas would be turning down the 6th to screw the Oilers for 500K, we aren't even in the same division and draft capital is draft capital. It's equally laughable that Holland doesn't care about the 8th year, because it guarantees you don't lose the player somewhere else on Wednesday. The lower cap hit is nicer, but I'd rather have less term since it minimizes the damage if he does fall off a cliff at 33 or 34. Personally, I think the Oilers taking the 8th year is actually worse and I'd be happy if they didn't do a sign and trade, but I think something will get done at the 11th hour - either the late round pick or Hyman comes around and signs with the Leafs. We'll see, similar to Larsson if you don't get the player signed the chance is there for them to walk and both teams could miss out on Hyman.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
64 pages and counting. We aren't even debating that Hyman is leaving Toronto or that his destination is Edmonton in free agency. Somehow this became (and I am borrowing a phrase here from the Toronto media) that Dubas won't "bend the knee" to Ken Holland and the Oilers. What?

I read a poster give a pseudo lecture on economics in this thread. Outrage on both sides. Outrage over the price of negotiating an extra year and a slightly lower AAV as a result? Is this because Leaf fans don't like other teams getting players they want to keep, and that Oiler fans are still reeling over Keith?

I think Holland, who is holding the best cards in this deal, is absolutely right to offer a late pick for the extra year in a sign and trade. Dubas, manufactured outrage aside, has every right to say no and counter with a much less appealing earlier pick. Both sides have reasonable positions. The result I think we can all see coming, Hyman signs for seven years and the Oilers pay a bit more per year but than they would have with Dubas' help. Toronto misses out on a player who in all likelihood will never sniff the NHL.

I mean.. gang... this isn't worth the debate.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
64 pages and counting. We aren't even debating that Hyman is leaving Toronto or that his destination is Edmonton in free agency. Somehow this became (and I am borrowing a phrase here from the Toronto media) that Dubas won't "bend the knee" to Ken Holland and the Oilers. What?

I read a poster give a pseudo lecture on economics in this thread. Outrage on both sides. Outrage over the price of negotiating an extra year and a slightly lower AAV as a result? Is this because Leaf fans don't like other teams getting players they want to keep, and that Oiler fans are still reeling over Keith?

I think Holland, who is holding the best cards in this deal, is absolutely right to offer a late pick for the extra year in a sign and trade. Dubas, manufactured outrage aside, has every right to say no and counter with a much less appealing earlier pick. Both sides have reasonable positions. The result I think we can all see coming, Hyman signs for seven years and the Oilers pay a bit more per year but than they would have with Dubas' help. Toronto misses out on a player who in all likelihood will never sniff the NHL.

I mean.. gang... this isn't worth the debate.
Absolutely, the ball is in Holland's court. He can sign hyman for 7 years or workout a sign and trade and get the eighth. Toronto has very little to do with it.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Imo the Leafs are just bitter for losing Hyman and asking for a ridiculous unprecented price for the negotiating price of a middle six winger....

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Imo the Leafs are just bitter for losing Hyman and asking for a ridiculous unprecented price for the negotiating price of a middle six winger....
The Leafs are basically out of it. They have the player for all intents an purpose. Negotiation is for an extra year on a sign and trade. Besides, negotiation is how people come to an agreement.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
So with the background that in the entire history of the nhl no more than like a 4th round pick has ever been paid for a week of negotiating rights, the Leafs demand a 2nd...
That is sour grapes no matter how you slice and dice it....

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
So with the background that in the entire history of the nhl no more than like a 4th round pick has ever been paid for a week of negotiating rights, the Leafs demand a 2nd...
Toronto would trade negotiation rights for a 6th easily, but why would Edmonton do that? They already have a deal in place- two of them actually.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Not really sure about most of these takes TBH - from either side. Seems the thread just turned bitter.

From a Toronto perspective there is no reason to be in a hurry to close the deal. Despite rumours, this could still be a bargaining tactic by Hyman's camp to try and get Toronto to come up to meet the term or $. It's in Dubas' interest to keep the channel open up to the end if he wants the player back, which I'm sure he does. Part of this is also about calling Hyman's bluff to see if he comes down closer to the Leafs number. At the same time he can wait and see if Holland will come down to his asking price for the 8th year. Once you do the trade, Hyman is gone, so there is no benefit to just closing the door day 1 if you don't need to.

From an Edmonton perspective there is no reason to pay a 2nd for 500K cap space, it's just over half a percent of the cap, not even an entry level/league minimum figure. You have the deals already agreed to in advance so either term clearly works for the Oilers - if you can get it done for a lesser asset, then you do, if you can't then you live with it. There's also no reason to take the 6th off the table just because Dubas is sticking to the 2nd, or continuing to talk to Hyman.

The only way Holland pays the 2nd is if he panics and thinks Hyman will jump ship at FA, since he has already had offers over 6M.

It's laughable that Dubas would be turning down the 6th to screw the Oilers for 500K, we aren't even in the same division and draft capital is draft capital. It's equally laughable that Holland doesn't care about the 8th year, because it guarantees you don't lose the player somewhere else on Wednesday. The lower cap hit is nicer, but I'd rather have less term since it minimizes the damage if he does fall off a cliff at 33 or 34. Personally, I think the Oilers taking the 8th year is actually worse and I'd be happy if they didn't do a sign and trade, but I think something will get done at the 11th hour - either the late round pick or Hyman comes around and signs with the Leafs. We'll see, similar to Larsson if you don't get the player signed the chance is there for them to walk and both teams could miss out on Hyman.

Who has offered Hyman over 6M?

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I still don't understand this signing. Why give him 7-8 years? I know most Canadian teams have to overpay, but he couldnt possibly have that much interest. Offer him 5x5. If he says no, look elsewhere. He won't get 7-8 years from anyone else anyway.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

You understand this is different, right?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Completely reasonable take. For me the cap savings of $500K are simply not worth the pick, especially since it adds that extra year that will be a part of buyout calculations if Hyman falls off a cliff at age X. Holland's successor would be cursing his name as he contemplates X more years x $5.0 vs X-1 more years at $5.5M.... that extra $5M spread over the buyout would almost certainly add >$500K/season.

Overall though, I find the situation quite intriguing given it's a bit different than other cap retention deals of the past. The fact Dubas doesn't actually retain is creating a pretty interesting debate about what another team's cap benefit is worth to a team that is not directly impacted.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I still don't understand this signing. Why give him 7-8 years? I know most Canadian teams have to overpay, but he couldnt possibly have that much interest. Offer him 5x5. If he says no, look elsewhere. He won't get 7-8 years from anyone else anyway.

In short: Oilers are desperate to improve this summer and always need to overpay in UFA to overcome the natural inclination for players to sign south of the border.

The NHL really needs to increase the cap for Canadian teams to account for the disparity in income tax. Our $5M contract offers are about 20% lower than an American team's $5M contract offer. We would have a larger cap to compensate.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
To be fair he was on pace for 59 points last season and 63 point pace this season.

True but this guy is still pretty unproven. Oilers management should have learned from the Lucic contract. There's no guarantee that Hyman will even have chemistry with McDavid. It wouldn't surprise me if he gelled better with Draisatl since Leon is a more versatile player for what kind of players seem to gel with him.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
If he prefers a 7 year deal over the 8 year deal he can have the 7 year deal on Wednesday and he would never have offered a 6th round pick to Dubas for the 8 year deal. He would just sign the 7 year deal and not offer a thing... come on now.

I'm not saying Holland -greatly- prefers the 8 year deal to the 7 year deal - but he quite obviously does prefer an 8 year deal (even if its just slightly). Its not debatable...

I think it’s debatable, if for whatever reason it actually matters. Since this involves a free agent, it’s very possible Hyman is the one that prefers the 8th year, and Holland tried to accommodate that.

Much to the frustration of many Oiler fans, Holland has shown he’s fair, reasonable, and not out to get greedy.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I know sometimes teams are included in discussions just to add leverage for other deals (edmonton has been used for this before) but its never been like this. Multiple media people as well as the agent saying clearly that Hyman is not re-signing in Toronto and he is going to Edmonton. If it didnt end up this way, and the Oilers were being used dishonestly in this, that would cross a line.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Who has offered Hyman over 6M?

It’s been reported that Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver where pursuing him, and that it was a rebuilding team that offered him 6+, but that he wanted to go to a playoff team. I’d assume that means either Vancouver or Calgary made the offer. And when you consider half of what Calgary does is just outbid Edmonton on whatever they’re looking at doing, I’d assume that means it was Calgary

Except he’s already been offered 6x7 elsewhere, so you’re wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad