Post-Game Talk: Streak busters, Jets win 8-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't know what is up with Helle these days but he's had a real uncharacteristic year. Maybe they need to play Comrie some more and hive him a bit more of a break. Not like Comrie's record and performance doesn't warrant additional playing time.
Yeah his stats don't really bear it out but I think he's letting in a lot more low danger shots.

Reactions: Jets 31

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I’m not holding my breath.

Agree. Oddball and stubbornly old skool eployment has been a real problem with this coaching staff -- this incarnation and previous -- for so long and so stubbornly that even the local scribes have cottoned onto it. From Murat:

Wheeler and Scheifele speak openly about their preference to play together; neither Paul Maurice nor Dave Lowry has expressed interest in playing them apart. It’s been years since the idea of a top line, a second line and a checking line was modern NHL thinking, but Winnipeg is glued to the idea, perhaps because of Wheeler and Scheifele’s preference for each other or perhaps because of past success with Copp and Adam Lowry in that role.

How does a team begin to shift the balance of power away from twin towers and toward the present generation of play-drivers?

Svetch, Heinola and others (I know he's been disappointing, but I'd put Ves in this boat also) have been casualties of these written-in-concrete line requirements, and the team is the worse for it. It's a must-change for me, especially with the elite but perhaps non-traditional talent coming up in Perfetti, Chaz, Chibby and even Smith, IMO.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Yeah but it does Svech no good to be relegated to the fourth line. There needs to be an effort to try to maximize all these guys and I'm nit sure that will happen.

Oh I don't want the KFC-PLD-Svech line broken up at all but but I'd be pissed if he came completely out of the lineup.
Svech might be a victim of the numbers game the older more senile Lowry decides we can't have too much skill in the lineup.

Maybe:

KFC-PLD-Svech
Ehlers-Scheifele-Perfetti
Stastny-Lowry-Wheeler
Copp-Tony Nato-Harkins

And try to somehow balance out the minutes a little better. Certainly if a line is clicking in game you don't break them up and scramble all your lines. I don't know. Guess we'll see.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Oh I don't want the KFC-PLD-Svech line broken up at all but but I'd be pissed if he came completely out of the lineup.
Svech might be a victim of the numbers game the older more senile Lowry decides we can't have too much skill in the lineup.

Maybe:

KFC-PLD-Svech
Ehlers-Scheifele-Perfetti
Stastny-Lowry-Wheeler
Copp-Tony Nato-Harkins

And try to somehow balance out the minutes a little better. Certainly if a line is clicking in game you don't break them up and scramble all your lines. I don't know. Guess we'll see.

I'd be down with this.

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
I don't know what is up with Helle these days but he's had a real uncharacteristic year. Maybe they need to play Comrie some more and hive him a bit more of a break. Not like Comrie's record and performance doesn't warrant additional playing time.

If I had to guess, baby brain - he probably isn't sleeping much these days after his kid's birth in November and is exhausted. I remember this happened to DeMelo last year after him and his wife had their kid - people were asking what the hell happened to his play as it seemed to have just driven off a cliff, but again, he was probably just sleeping like crap and was exhausted.

Hockey players are pretty stubborn though so they probably think they're fine. Hellebuyck even more so. :laugh:

I'd say yep, play Comrie more, and give Helle some time off to rest and be with his family. :thumbu:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd love to see what Scheif and Perfetti would do together but I really think we need to take a look at Perfetti at center to see what we have.
What about...

KC PLD Svech
Stastny Scheif Ehlers
Copp Perfetti Wheeler
Gus Lowry Hark

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Agree. Oddball and stubbornly old skool eployment has been a real problem with this coaching staff -- this incarnation and previous -- for so long and so stubbornly that even the local scribes have cottoned onto it. From Murat:

Wheeler and Scheifele speak openly about their preference to play together; neither Paul Maurice nor Dave Lowry has expressed interest in playing them apart. It’s been years since the idea of a top line, a second line and a checking line was modern NHL thinking, but Winnipeg is glued to the idea, perhaps because of Wheeler and Scheifele’s preference for each other or perhaps because of past success with Copp and Adam Lowry in that role.

How does a team begin to shift the balance of power away from twin towers and toward the present generation of play-drivers?

Svetch, Heinola and others (I know he's been disappointing, but I'd put Ves in this boat also) have been casualties of these written-in-concrete line requirements, and the team is the worse for it. It's a must-change for me, especially with the elite but perhaps non-traditional talent coming up in Perfetti, Chaz, Chibby and even Smith, IMO.

There’s definitely been a disconnect between this organizations drafting and their deployment.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
It's fairly obvious the coaching has been pretty poor this year across the board. It needs to be straightened out this summer.

I worry about what will happen to Svech when Cole and Nik are healthy.

Piganski, Harkins, Versa-Laine, Tony-nato don't belong in the NHL, go from there

Reactions: bumblebeeman

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I don't see how LTIR players making less then a million does it.

From Capfriendly here is our current hit that includes Poganski

upload_2022-3-3_13-42-14.png

So we had $3,885,833 in cap space.

Plus $750,000 for Pogo getting waived = $4,635,838

So we need to find another $1,364,162 in capspace to activate Ehlers ($6,000,000)

upload_2022-3-3_13-45-38.png

If both those guys move to LTIR there is our space. Or we need to waive more guys but since Perfetti isn't skating I'm sure he could be an LTIR candidate. I'm not actually sure what's up with Reichel but if we can move them both to LTIR that is what I assume we'll do before game time tomorrow.

Reactions: Guardian17

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

View attachment 512160

So we need to find another $1,364,162 in capspace to activate Ehlers ($6,000,000)

View attachment 512161

If both those guys move to LTIR there is our space. Or we need to waive more guys but since Perfetti isn't skating I'm sure he could be an LTIR candidate. I'm not actually sure what's up with Reichel but if we can move them both to LTIR that is what I assume we'll do before game time tomorrow.

I'm not sure how accurate that is due to accumulated cap hits over the year. They might juat LTIR Cole as he has already missed 5 or so games and is likely to miss the next 5 over the next week and a bit.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

View attachment 512160

View attachment 512161

Not in a spot to do the proper research or even put a ton of thought into it, but I don't think this is how this works. How could we be cap compliant before Ehlers is injured but suddenly not when he comes off if LTIR? We didn't add that much and we should get some LTIR relief from Ehlers and Wheeler earlier in the season. But then I could be completely wrong.

Last edited:

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I'm not sure how accurate that is due to accumulated cap hits over the year. They might juat LTIR Cole as he has already missed 5 or so games and is likely to miss the next 5 over the next week and a bit.

Not in a spot to do the proper research or even put a ton of thought into it, but I don't think this is how this works. How could we be cap compliant before Ehlers is injured but suddenly not when he comes off if LTIR? We didn't add that much and we should get some LTIR relief from Ehlers and Wheeler earlier in the season. But then I could be completely wrong.

As an LTIR team we don't accumulate capspace, that's one of the penalties for being an LTIR team. Anyhow, a question was asked and answered and based on the research that I've done, this is how it works. If you think the answer is wrong feel free to research it yourself and then get back to me but I wouldn't have bothered to post a response just to post. I'm not going to fight about it or try to change your mind, lets see what happens today.

Players on IR still count towards the cap so so in a nutshell that is how we were OK before he got hurt, but not now. We either need to waive additional players to account for Reichel and Perfetti as being pressbox guys or move them to LTIR to get cap relief to activate Ehlers. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atoyot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad