Straight-Ahead Speed: McDavid Versus Bure

Which player has/had more straight-away speed with the puck?

• Total voters

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
There shouldn't even be a debate about this and any other player vs McDavid when it comes to speed. He is without a doubt the fastest player to ever play the game up to this point. Not just with the puck either.

Reactions: Steven

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Relative to era, it has to be McDavid. The average 4th liner/bottom pairing D nowadays are faster than Bure's era and McDavid blows by them without even trying and WITH the puck.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Relative to era, it has to be McDavid. The average 4th liner/bottom pairing D nowadays are faster than Bure's era and McDavid blows by them without even trying and WITH the puck.

Relative to era couldn't you make a case for Bure though since half the league was still full of really slow players?

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Relative to era couldn't you make a case for Bure though since half the league was still full of really slow players?

Isn't that against your argument, that he played against slower players? The only D that have consistently kept up with McDavid in a foot race have been Karlsson and maybe Rielly/Subban when they play and even then, only Karlsson was effective at neutralizing his speed entirely. So it's not just a bottom pairing thing. He does it against everyone.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Isn't that against your argument, that he played against slower players? The only D that have consistently kept up with McDavid in a foot race have been Karlsson and maybe Rielly/Subban when they play and even then, only Karlsson was effective at neutralizing his speed entirely. So it's not just a bottom pairing thing. He does it against everyone.

You said relative to era. Bure was faster than most defensemen and most other players then than McDavid is to his competition. Also I'm not quite sure why you listed Subban there, he is not and never has been close to one of the fastest players in the league.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
McDavid is faster. Bure was not even the fastest skater of his era, McDavid just trashed Gartners record at 20. Stickhandling and skating Bure was just as flashy and impressive, but McDavid still is faster with a puck. No one in history stacks up.

Former Referee 68

Aug 18, 2016
Canada
I was on the ice with Bure and his speed was unreal, I was retired before Connor broke into the league but I have watched him probably 20 times live and I have to give it to Connor. You have to remember the game is faster today then it was in Bure day so to compare the eras is impossible. but I will give it to Connor though I would love to see the race between the two

Lacoste

Sep 23, 2007
McDavid is faster but Bure has unmatched accelaration with or without pack. So for short distance no one can match with Bure. And don't forget, Bure started his sport life like speedskater. So Fedorov beat Bure with 0.1 sec. But Fedorov accelaration not better Bure.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Voted McD but I think they probably had the same tools just one is better trained. Isn't there hard data for this answer? Would be curious to know their top clocked speeds because going by memory is tough on these things.

They are about the same relative to their leagues I'd guess. Totally different players otherwise. Bure was not nearly as well rounded a player. Doubt Bure even knew what his goalies were in net on a given night. Fun to watch though.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Voted McD but I think they probably had the same tools just one is better trained. Isn't there hard data for this answer? Would be curious to know their top clocked speeds because going by memory is tough on these things.

They are about the same relative to their leagues I'd guess. Totally different players otherwise. Bure was not nearly as well rounded a player. Doubt Bure even knew what his goalies were in net on a given night. Fun to watch though.

Clocked it's McDavid easily.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I really don't know.
Bure put so much effort into acceleration than he destroyed his body.
McDavid seems to be doing alright. His stride seems a lot more natural.
In fact when he's got the afterburners turn on we can see his legs moving, but he doesn't have crazy long strides like Bure did when he raced for breakaways.

I'll go with McDavid for now.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Keep in mind it, it is a speed game now compared to when Bure was playing. The guys that McDavid is flying on a regular basis by are faster than the guys that Bure was flying by.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Mcdavid is the fastest skater to have ever played in the nhl, no doubt in my mind. What's especially impressive is the league around him is filled with players that skate well and he still blows everyone away. Bure's era half the players could barely skate.

Reactions: Steven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad