Prospect Info: Stockton Heat and Prospect Discussion Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Impressive list. It's certainly the lack of an established name, early 1st round draft stud that buries the Flames on all the rankings year after year.

It’s how these lists are made more or less, who drafted the most amount of early picks. Now the big thing is NHLe within a pool, which equivalently means nothing :laugh:

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Stockton has been a fantastic pipeline of talent for this organization the last handful of years, lots of credit to the coaches and development staff. It's crazy to actually see a quality NHLer graduate every year it seems....

I've been saying this for a while now, but it's hugely due to Treliving. Treliving did a crazy ton of work to sort out the alignment stuff, address mental health and other addictions, provide off ice support and training in many things as well as ensuring that the farm team plays the same style as the big club to make sure the transition to the big club isn't overly complicated and difficult. He did this all with little fan fare, but IMO it's been huge in improving the quality of prospects and squeezing extra draft currency value out of the prospects.

When Treliving started...

Our farm team went from Abbotsford (insane travel schedule vs other teams) to Adirondack (basically as far as Montreal with no direct flights). Treliving worked hard with others with relatively little fan fare to realign our team to Stockton. Better alignment meant better monitoring of our prospects and more down time for the prospects to work on things, work on recovering from injury etc.

We started off with a coach like Troy Ward in the AHL. He played a style totally different than Hartley. He played vets over prospects to win games to try and find a promotion. We were losing prospects to lack of development, mind games and mental health. We replaced him with Huska who focused on development of prospects over winning via vets and also would deploy a style similar to the big club. Additionally, when players are sent down, I seem to recall reading the player and Stockton coaches are given access to data (video etc.) and clear instructions on what to work on so that the player can get a chance back on the big club again and stick.

We were losing players to mental health and substance abuse issues. Ferland was a guy who we were able to salvage via Hartley and McGrattan. We extended this to the player development camps and then the farm team. The last guys we lost IIRC were Parsons (mental health) and Emile Poirier (substance abuse). Players who make it through the farm system with these issues aren't as good as they can be in the NHL.

So I think these things plus the development increases the chance of success, no matter the calibre of prospect. The overall wastage of draft capital is lower and it also allows for a chance for these players to hit unlikely ceilings due to better equipping and development. This means higher end output and/or higher chances that lower end draft picks that reach the necessary tier to graduate, rather than journeyman. In fact, with this set up, internally developed journeymen still have a shot at the bigs (ie: Ryan Lomberg 2015-2020 before becoming a Panther in 2020-2021 season).

The biggest problem remaining is goalie development. Sigalet seems to be good at identifying goalie talent, but development and coordination of this development seemingly isn't his forte. Like, from what I can tell, he's very good at the fundamentals stuff (as reported by a few vet goaltenders), but poor on the mental (ie: Parsons, Rittich) and injury rehab (ie: Gilles) side of the training. Labarbera seems to be doing a fine job, but damn I wish we could steal one of Clark, Korn, Maharaj or Burke to develop goalies.

It’s how these lists are made more or less, who drafted the most amount of early picks. Now the big thing is NHLe within a pool, which equivalently means nothing :laugh:

I understand NHLe... but pooling it seems... dumb.

For our prospect pool, I do recall that many flames fans were kinda crapping on it for quite a few seasons. That being said, I do recall there was a huge debate about how little draft capital that Treliving was pouring into the pipeline because he was trading it away for rentals/roster players.

TBH, I don't mind the fact we are doing well on developing under the radar prospects. It feels like paying heavier instalments and getting a refund after filing taxes vs remitting less and owing taxes at the end.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Coronato with 2 goals and 2 assists in the ECAC semi finals. Game winner and empty net goal.
Now has a better goals per game and points per game than Caufield’s freshman year, and he now leads Harvard in goals and points.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Noticed a few things with the Heats scoreboard yesterday: Ruzicka has not yet dressed, Mackey was back, and Pospisil back from injury.
Heat play again tonight.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Coronato + Pelletier look like natural goal scorers, we’ve already got 2 with mangi and lindholm (RIP Monahan)

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Some statwatching: Jack Beck missed around 25 games in the midseason, is now back and still 3rd in scoring for the 67's with only half the games played, 8 points behind their top scorer. Sergeyev seems to have slowed down significantly lately (maybe fatigue?) but his numbers are still good. Strömgren has solid J20 numbers but looks like he's moved (loaned?) to mens Allsvenskan team.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Some statwatching: Jack Beck missed around 25 games in the midseason, is now back and still 3rd in scoring for the 67's with only half the games played, 8 points behind their top scorer. Sergeyev seems to have slowed down significantly lately (maybe fatigue?) but his numbers are still good. Strömgren has solid J20 numbers but looks like he's moved (loaned?) to mens Allsvenskan team.
Beck is also the only player on the 67's at PPG+. He should have a big year next year.
I commented early in the year how Beck/Francis/Kerins were maybe undervalued by fans, and they've each climbed for sure. expected a little more from Francis though.
Another intriging player from that drfat is Lucas Ciona. Big kid who's putting up decent numbers for a 6th rnder

This all probably plays into the reasoning in trading all these picks, we'll still have enough prospects to fill the cupboards for a couple years, it's more after that that we may be in trouble. Can't go getting rid of any more picks from 23/24

Reactions: Kahvi

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Would have to figure Stockton is bound to get a bit busy soon. Solovyov/Poirier/Kuznetsov as young D there. Maybe a chance Kinnvall comes back. Would figure Valimaki would be up next year or outright gone but he's another guy who might start out there. Then at forward you'd have to imagine: Zary, Philp, Pettersen, and Posipsil would be back. Tuulola, Duehr, then maybe a person like Froese/Kirkland would stick around. Outside chance that Pelletier/Phillips are forced to toil away down there based on the way the Flames operate. Then; Francis and Kerins make inherent sense to be up next season. Coronato could join midseason though it's hard to imagine he wouldn't just make the jump to the NHL if he's leaving Harvard, and then there's an outside chance someone like Nikolayev gets an ELC out of principle for being 1.2ppg in the USHL or something around there, just to give him a chance to jump to the next level after stalling overseas.

Point being, Flames might not have the top end talent after Pelletier/Zary/Coronato/Wolf, but the farm team looks as though it is going to have a wide array of young players with potential promise playing for them, which shows some solid signs for the future you'd have to figure.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Could Philp get a look sometime down the stretch or next season? He's producing well

Not this season probably, but the Flames like to give their AHL performers a couple games at the end of the year sometimes.

Next season depends on a lot of things. Flames will have about 15 balls in the air this offseason. I do think he's done enough to get another contract, all around a pretty solid AHL player with a + shot and - skating.

Reactions: De Montreal

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Heat win their 5th straight knocking off the Condors 3-1. Wolf made 31 saves and got his shutout spoiled in the last two minutes by Holloway on a shot that went off his dman. Skinner played well for Bakersfield.

Pelletier again very strong, banged in a rebound to get the scoring started and nailed a tough empty net shot under pressure to seal it. Zary wasn't super impressive, made some nice passes that were bobbled by his linemates and showed some good hands. Looked fast actually. Valimaki pretty so-so, shooting lots but not a lot of anything else. Skating stood out positively.

Liked Solovyov again, very composed. Duehr as well plays a mature game. DeSimone and Kinnvall definitely some good puck skills and snappy passing but neither managed the puck well in their own zone. Phillips mixing it up getting his nose in scrums is hilarious, he looks like a Make-a-Wish kid picking a fight. MEP really quite good in this game as well. Tuulola is very big, load to handle down low. Scored on a break after a horrific giveaway by the Condors. Holloway really the only Condor that stood out.
Any idea why Zary has done very little since returning from injury? Poor linemates?

Reactions: teddygmr

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Any idea why Zary has done very little since returning from injury? Poor linemates?
Lack of talent. He over achieved as a junior. It said so in his scouting report.

I don’t buy into theory that you are bad because of your line mates. You worked yourself into that situation, just like Monahan did in the NHL.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Lack of talent. He over achieved as a junior. It said so in his scouting report.

I don’t buy into theory that you are bad because of your line mates. You worked yourself into that situation, just like Monahan did in the NHL.
What report? The reports I saw said he did everything well except that he isn't particularly fast. So maybe Stankhoven was making HIM look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad