Prospect Info: Stockton Heat and Prospect Discussion Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
After being loaned to the KHL for awhile, Zavgorodniy is back with the Heat, taking Tuulola's spot.

Heat have gone with 7 Dmen a few times it seems to get Kinvall in there. I have no idea who of the 8 Dmen would be the healthy scratch right now.
Mackey/Valamaki/Gravel/Poolman/Solovov/DeSimone/ & Kinvall. Welenski has been out for a couple months, but would be dressed.
The bolded are FA's at the end of the year, but we add Poirier and Kuznetsov too.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
After being loaned to the KHL for awhile, Zavgorodniy is back with the Heat, taking Tuulola's spot.

Heat have gone with 7 Dmen a few times it seems to get Kinvall in there. I have no idea who of the 8 Dmen would be the healthy scratch right now.
Mackey/Valamaki/Gravel/Poolman/Solovov/DeSimone/ & Kinvall. Welenski has been out for a couple months, but would be dressed.
The bolded are FA's at the end of the year, but we add Poirier and Kuznetsov too.
Zav probably wanted to get out of Russia before he got drafted... by the army.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Coronato was named rookie of the month in ECAC for February after leading Harvard in scoring during that time. He still is one back of the team lead in goals and two back from the team lead in points despite being the youngest on the team, and he is scoring at just a slightly lower rate than Caufield did his freshman year (0.47 to 0.52 goals per game respectively or an extra goal every 20 games). We should be a lot more excited about this kid than we are.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Coronato was named rookie of the month in ECAC for February after leading Harvard in scoring during that time. He still is one back of the team lead in goals and two back from the team lead in points despite being the youngest on the team, and he is scoring at just a slightly lower rate than Caufield did his freshman year (0.47 to 0.52 goals per game respectively or an extra goal every 20 games). We should be a lot more excited about this kid than we are.

Speak for yourself. I alarmed most of a neighborhood screaming in joy when we drafted him :D

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I'm still reserved....a couple of the leaders of that team were in the olypics, and I let too many of you make me believe in the Jankowski hype.
I'll wait till next year, and hopefully he's not just one of the best on his team, but one of the best in college.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
More Coronato updates, he is looking like a big game player for Harvard. Tied for the team lead in points in their first round win in the playoffs with 2 goals and 2 assists in 3 games. But the stories behind his points paint the picture, which includes him scoring a game tying goal with 15 seconds left to send a game to OT, him beating his man to head up ice on a 2 on 1 to send the next game to OT, then 2 points in a 3-1 win to close out the series. He also averaged 5.66 shots a game for them too.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm still reserved....a couple of the leaders of that team were in the olypics, and I let too many of you make me believe in the Jankowski hype.
I'll wait till next year, and hopefully he's not just one of the best on his team, but one of the best in college.

As someone who was OFF the Jankowski train the minute they drafted him, Coronato is the real deal.
While his teammates (who are older than him) were away in the Olympics, he actually improved his point per game average; with the expanded role.

Next year will be big, and it'll be nice to see what happens with him. If he goes nuclear... he's literally going to be Calgary's deadline acquisition; and a good one.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Stockton hosts Bakersfield tonight in the baby BoA.

Heat still 1st in the AHL in point percentage. Wolf still the best SV% among all goalies. How much credit do Brad Pascall and Mitch Love deserve I wonder? Could Pascall be next in line once Treliving is shown the door? Really doesn't seem like a super impressive AHL team on first blush but pickups like Gawdin, Mackey, and Philp have really provided some nice depth.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Stockton hosts Bakersfield tonight in the baby BoA.

Heat still 1st in the AHL in point percentage. Wolf still the best SV% among all goalies. How much credit do Brad Pascall and Mitch Love deserve I wonder? Could Pascall be next in line once Treliving is shown the door? Really doesn't seem like a super impressive AHL team on first blush but pickups like Gawdin, Mackey, and Philp have really provided some nice depth.
Did I read somewhere that Ruzicka was sent down? Wonder how that affects the lines? He did center the top line early in the season...but that line has been great. Also wonder if this is just a short stint to get some top minutes, and he's back up.
With both clubs looking for a deep playoff run, Heat would love to have him but I don't think he'll be there.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
At the pace Coronato is scoring at (15 goals, 29 points in 31 games), he is closing in on having almost the exact stats as Caufield’s freshman season. For reference, Jankowski’s freshman year was 7 goals and 18 points in 34 games. It took Jankowski 4 years in college to slightly beat Coronato’s first year, and never best bested Coronato’s current goal total.

Kid’s showing why he was the second winger taken in the draft.

Remember when the days when we hadn’t had a Real RW goal scorer since Iginla, now we are potentially two years away from having 3 in Tkachuk*, Toffoli, and Coronato?

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Did I read somewhere that Ruzicka was sent down? Wonder how that affects the lines? He did center the top line early in the season...but that line has been great. Also wonder if this is just a short stint to get some top minutes, and he's back up.
With both clubs looking for a deep playoff run, Heat would love to have him but I don't think he'll be there.
I think it's because we don't know how long Kylington is out. So they called up another D (Mackey) instead, and sent Ruzicka down to make room. I imagine once Kylington is back, Ruzy comes back up

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Heat win their 5th straight knocking off the Condors 3-1. Wolf made 31 saves and got his shutout spoiled in the last two minutes by Holloway on a shot that went off his dman. Skinner played well for Bakersfield.

Pelletier again very strong, banged in a rebound to get the scoring started and nailed a tough empty net shot under pressure to seal it. Zary wasn't super impressive, made some nice passes that were bobbled by his linemates and showed some good hands. Looked fast actually. Valimaki pretty so-so, shooting lots but not a lot of anything else. Skating stood out positively.

Liked Solovyov again, very composed. Duehr as well plays a mature game. DeSimone and Kinnvall definitely some good puck skills and snappy passing but neither managed the puck well in their own zone. Phillips mixing it up getting his nose in scrums is hilarious, he looks like a Make-a-Wish kid picking a fight. MEP really quite good in this game as well. Tuulola is very big, load to handle down low. Scored on a break after a horrific giveaway by the Condors. Holloway really the only Condor that stood out.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
MEP has reportedly been figuring it out. Think that makes it 8 goals in his last 12 games? Could all be a hot streak but after getting scratched early on in the year and what not (just going off memory) it's nice to see him work his way back in, not that 8 in 12 is sustainable but if he can keep it up going forward that seemslike a good benchmark. Nice to see there are good things to say about the farm at this point

Khrox

May 31, 2018
MEP has reportedly been figuring it out. Think that makes it 8 goals in his last 12 games? Could all be a hot streak but after getting scratched early on in the year and what not (just going off memory) it's nice to see him work his way back in, not that 8 in 12 is sustainable but if he can keep it up going forward that seemslike a good benchmark. Nice to see there are good things to say about the farm at this point
It's basically how the start of his college career went too. First 1/3 of the season he was questionable, but all the coaches said "he's smart, and he's willing to learn, so he'll figure it out. He has all the talent you could want", but once he figured it out in the NCAA, he started lighting it up there too. Pro game is probably a bigger leap, with a lot more physicality, but if he's starting to figure it out, I can't imagine it'll be long before he gets a cup of tea in the NHL (probably next year)

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I'd think odds are against him playing even 1 NHL game next year as JP, AR, GG, MP, and even Duehr are more NHL ready now.
Next year similar players get added to the Heat in Kerins, Francis & Beck. So he has alot of competition.
He may just be on the top line next year though....

CF Magic

Jan 30, 2022
Calgary
Stockton has been a fantastic pipeline of talent for this organization the last handful of years, lots of credit to the coaches and development staff. It's crazy to actually see a quality NHLer graduate every year it seems....

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Boy, next year this team could potentially add Pelletier AND Coronato (later in the year after his season is over); adding two fairly high end prospects to a decent squad (if Johnny re-signs). Don't know what either guy could do at the NHL level, but there's a chance that Calgary goes nuclear with those two in the lineup if they're as good as advertised.

I'm enjoying how everyone seems to be progressing, Calgary's built a good little pipeline.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Maybe this summer we'll have a bottom 10 prospect ranking instead of bottom 5

It's the same thing every year.
Constantly promoting good NHLers throughout the lineup; top 6 forwards, top 4D, and it's still like a resounding 'meh' from 'analysts'.

I get that most of their prospect rankings are coming from 'who has the most first round picks in their pool, especially a top 5' but, in all seriousness, since Treliving has clearly given the keys to the scouting department:

2015: Mangi, Ras and Oliver.
A 30+ goal forward, a top pairing D and a top 4D

2016: Chucky, Dube, Fox, Phillips
An all-star, a Norris winner, a top 9 forward (albeit struggling this year) and a guy who looks like he should be breaking in soon.

2017: Valimaki, Ruzicka
A guy still learning after missing a bunch of time with injury, a top 9 centre that has size and skill.

2018: We traded almost everything here. Still some potential in Emilio and Prospisil,

2019: Pelletier and Wolf
A guy who looks like he might be NHL ready next year in a top 9 role, a top 3 goalie prospect in the world.

All in all, this team's done a good job with short and long-term prospects.

xMatMcC

Jun 27, 2014
NL
It's the same thing every year.
Constantly promoting good NHLers throughout the lineup; top 6 forwards, top 4D, and it's still like a resounding 'meh' from 'analysts'.

I get that most of their prospect rankings are coming from 'who has the most first round picks in their pool, especially a top 5' but, in all seriousness, since Treliving has clearly given the keys to the scouting department:

2015: Mangi, Ras and Oliver.
A 30+ goal forward, a top pairing D and a top 4D

2016: Chucky, Dube, Fox, Phillips
An all-star, a Norris winner, a top 9 forward (albeit struggling this year) and a guy who looks like he should be breaking in soon.

2017: Valimaki, Ruzicka
A guy still learning after missing a bunch of time with injury, a top 9 centre that has size and skill.

2018: We traded almost everything here. Still some potential in Emilio and Prospisil,

2019: Pelletier and Wolf
A guy who looks like he might be NHL ready next year in a top 9 role, a top 3 goalie prospect in the world.

All in all, this team's done a good job with short and long-term prospects.
Impressive list. It's certainly the lack of an established name, early 1st round draft stud that buries the Flames on all the rankings year after year.

Reactions: Fig
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad