Confirmed Trade: [STL/PHI] Kevin Hayes (50% retained) for 2024 6th round pick

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Was he a cancer behind the scene?

I don't know if he was a cancer, but he certainly had influence in the room.

There was a period of time (almost the entirety of the last 3 years) where the Flyers seemed to exclusively bring in players because they were Kevin Hayes' buddies.

I'm sure he has a strong presence in the room and the Triumvirate of Briere, Torts, and Jones don't want that cornerstone anymore.

Reactions: antman12 and SnS

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Hayes is one of a handful of players Tortorella apparently cannot coexist with, so he had to go at any cost. DeAngelo is another, there's speculation that Sanheim might be as well, but Sanheim has substantially more talent, so there should be value in that deal, at least.
I feel like this always seems to be an issue with Torts. He did not at the time nor does he still seem like the right guy for this team at this point. No?

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina

There was a period of time (almost the entirety of the last 3 years) where the Flyers seemed to exclusively bring in players because they were Kevin Hayes' buddies.

I'm sure he has a strong presence in the room and the Triumvirate of Briere, Torts, and Jones don't want that cornerstone anymore.

Reminded me of a low-key wannabe Frat.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

That's fair. Deal looked absurd when it was sign, that was pretty unanimous, but it's not like Philly's made, well ANY shrewd moves in the last few years.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
If Briere was able to move Hayes without retention and didn't give up any assets to do it after getting a Cap strapped team to retain on Provorov he is the early favorite for GM of the year. This is how you tear down the mess that Chucky built.

Edit: well it was originally posted without the retention. With retention its a meh deal. Put the trophy away.

• Haha
Reactions: southsider

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
what a let down!!! after all the rumors and shit over the weekend about this trade completely rejigging both teams.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
This seems like a much better bet for St. Louis than Johansen was for Colorado.

I get that Torts and Hayes didnt get along, but seems kind of like a pointless deal for Philly. Culture change I guess.

Still feels anti climatic though lol
I don’t know. If Hayes works out… yes. If not, he’s got an extra year of term on his deal.

Either way, the cost to acquire these two players at 50% retained was essentially nothing. and now they’ve set the market for all the other teams trying to dump bad contracts. You should expect to retain 50% and get nothing in return.

The best trade was Chicago getting Taylor Hall for nothing.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I feel like this always seems to be an issue with Torts. He did not at the time nor does he still seem like the right guy for this team at this point. No?

Torts hasn't seemed like the right guy to most of us on here since day 1. That said, the Authentic Fans (tm) absolutely love it when the head coach is an angry asshole, so that's what we get.

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
Torts doesn't like Hayes because he smokes weed I'm pretty sure. He's a very likable dude. Torts is a dick.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Briere is in over his head.

Absolutely awful for flyers.
Taylor Hall was just traded at 50% retention for pretty much nothing. Johansen was traded at 50% for literally nothing.

So What were you expecting? The problem isn’t Briere. It’s your expectations that don’t match reality.

Reactions: Shane Diesel

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Well the Briere honeymoon was shorlived.

Crazy low return for a 50pt center at 3.5mm for 3 years.

I disagree with you.

It shows Hayes had no value. He needed to be removed from the room, he’s a Fratboy.

Would you rather have left him on the team to sit in the press box for the remainder of the contract and sulk like a baby who is entitled?

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Dominoes. Now all the trades can start. Catch of the offseason has moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad