Rumor: STL Blues and BOS Bruins trade rumor involving Brayden Schenn

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
This all makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense to me now is STL fans asking for a center in return? If I am STL I'd rather try to get TWO LD from Boston. Lauzon/Zboril/Gryz. Pick two. Bruins still have Chara, Krug, Moore, Vaak and the remainder.

Well I feel and I think most Blues fans would agree that Schenn has big league talent. He has shown it just last year with a great season. I contend if put with the right players he IS a 35 goal guy legit. The rest needs to be better maybe but he has real value. Since the Blues don't Have to move him they have leverage and will have to get a good return in my opinion. He is our biggest chip.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
This rumor makes very little sense to me.

1. The Blues trade for Schenn, who after years of showing promise that he could step up offensively, finally does so in St Louis to the tune of 70 points after a hot start. People seem to agree that the player has found a good home and the team have found an offensive star who broke out.

2. The Blues have a down year (that's what it seems to be, from my perspective, not a general decline) this year. Most of their big players are still in their mid/late 20s primes, and with Buffalo owning their first rounder this/next year, they arent going to pack things in for a rebuild.

Given those two factors, how is moving Schenn now for future-ish assets, this season, a good idea for the Blues? Unless you see a home run type deal for prospects who are dying to step up (and will very soon match Schenn's production/effectiveness). And those kinds of deals have clearly been rejected. I get that Schenn only has a year left. But, IMO, if both player and team bounce back next year, it would make a whole lot of sense that they want to extend him. Their time to win is clearly now (this disastrous season notwithstanding).

I get that other teams would want to acquire him. I just dont understand how a competitive team where he looks at home would sell him off for anything less than an over-payment. If the Blues cant right the ship, and are still below average next year, then maybe that's the time to auction him off.
It is a shame that I can only give you one like for this post.

Reactions: RoarBacon

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Ive been reading this thread for a few days and want to say congratulations to Blues and Bruins fans. Who knows if a deal goes through, but all to often these things devolve into trashing players because fans can’t agree. This thread has been largely void of that and there’s been some good hockey talk.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Ive been reading this thread for a few days and want to say congratulations to Blues and Bruins fans. Who knows if a deal goes through, but all to often these things devolve into trashing players because fans can’t agree. This thread has been largely void of that and there’s been some good hockey talk.
We are too depressed to hate anyone.

Internettoughguy314

Oct 20, 2017
I won’t pretend to say I know what’s going on with STL, but I think roster is too good for it to last.
We've lost many games from bad goaltending and have hit more post this year than any other team I believe. I think we're too far out to make the playoffs so I really hope that doesn't change anytime soon.

Reactions: Number8

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I won’t pretend to say I know what’s going on with STL, but I think roster is too good for it to last.

Coaching and goaltending have been the main issues. Some players have bad luck and not getting bounces like Schwartz. Whatever is wrong with Tarasenko. Then just inconsistent effort from a lot of the players. Our hope is that coaching was the main issue and a quality veteran coach can fix it next season. Our assistants are pure garbage.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

The Bruins are my favorite non Blues team. I’d love to see Backes and Schenn play together and win a cup there. Schenn would be a great a addition to the Bruins. Tough player who brings it every night.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I remember when Blues fans tried to tell me this guy was a bonafide #1C because he scored exactly 70 points in an unsustainable fluke of a season. :laugh:

Wasn’t really a fluke. It’s just nothing is working for the Blues this year. Schwartz just hasn’t been himself this year. A normal Schwartz and a better Blues team and Schenn is easily a 70 pt center. It’s just been one of those years for the Blues. It could be raining vaginas and we’d get hit by a pecker this year.

Reactions: Veneficus

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I would have to add that with the blues, there seems to be no cohesion between any group of players for any consistent amount of time. The defenseman don’t really have a partner. The forwards can’t click as a trio. The power play seems like an eight cylinder truck running on four cylinders. On paper, it’s a great team. On the ice, they seem allergic to each other.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I would like to salute the fans in Boston for being very knowledgeable and also very polite. Much appreciated!

I don’t want to give up my Brayden Schenn jersey either .
You blues fans are quite classy I must say. Lots of good intellectual discussions and great trade ideas back and forth. One day we will meet once again in the finals and have a great 7 game series overtime . Schenn in black and gold scores of coarse.

Reactions: StrBender

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You blues fans are quite classy I must say. Lots of good intellectual discussions and great trade ideas back and forth. One day we will meet once again in the finals and have a great 7 game series overtime . Schenn in black and gold scores of coarse.
Lets be real, you guys win a 4 game sweep. My only hope is that someone finds Orr in his suite and trips him, for old time sake.

BourqueFromORRk4277

formerly POPNDOUGH
Mar 25, 2010
Somerville MA
Are we talking about Gryz? Or are you taking about Krug?

I'm pretty sure that's Krug's PPG. He may have been confused by the lack of skating flair comment, since Gryz is an excellent skater. He's the best on the team at skating the puck out of the defensive zone.
I like both Krug, and Gryz, but I'd definitely keep Gryz over Krug, not even considering his dad works for the bull gang at the TD Garden.

I'm not gonna go searching for a video of Gryz turning on a dime away from a fore checker, but here's a nice play:

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I'm pretty sure that's Krug's PPG. He may have been confused by the lack of skating flair comment, since Gryz is an excellent skater. He's the best on the team at skating the puck out of the defensive zone.
I like both Krug, and Gryz, but I'd definitely keep Gryz over Krug, not even considering his dad works for the bull gang at the TD Garden.

I'm not gonna go searching for a video of Gryz turning on a dime away from a fore checker, but here's a nice play:

I didn't mean that in a bad way. I didn't mean he was a bad skater but I see the smaller guy flair out of guys like Krug, Girard, Dunn, etc. Just guys that I've had enough viewings on to feel confident in what i'm talking about.

I really like Gryz I just don't see the value in trading a top 6 C which we have been searching for for so long for a guy who I just personally (I am no way saying my opinion is right) don't see being much more than a good #4. He's a better defensively Vince Dunn to me and again I could completely be wrong.

Reactions: wintersej

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I think there is a mutual respect thing between the Blues fans and Bruins fans. I always cheered for them vs the hated Hawks. Meet Bernie Federko once and Emil the Cat Francis. I think there is a similar relationship between Bruins and Flames fans and a little bit with the Sens and Oilers fans too.

Today I would trade Schenn for Krejci easily, not going happen but the age of Schenn makes up the difference for me as exactly what they need. Someone to slide into the top 6 for a centerman

Last edited:

BourqueFromORRk4277

formerly POPNDOUGH
Mar 25, 2010
Somerville MA
I didn't mean that in a bad way. I didn't mean he was a bad skater but I see the smaller guy flair out of guys like Krug, Girard, Dunn, etc. Just guys that I've had enough viewings on to feel confident in what i'm talking about.

I really like Gryz I just don't see the value in trading a top 6 C which we have been searching for for so long for a guy who I just personally (I am no way saying my opinion is right) don't see being much more than a good #4. He's a better defensively Vince Dunn to me and again I could completely be wrong.

I'm not going to tell you to trade anybody. If you need a top 6 center then keep Schenn. I was just confused by the skating comment. Gryz is a very good skater.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I have really enjoyed this thread! Kudos to fellow Blues fans and to Bruins fans for keeping it classy!

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Except this time it's Pietrangelo sailing through the air after scoring the OT goal! :D

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
This rumor makes very little sense to me.

1. The Blues trade for Schenn, who after years of showing promise that he could step up offensively, finally does so in St Louis to the tune of 70 points after a hot start. People seem to agree that the player has found a good home and the team have found an offensive star who broke out.

2. The Blues have a down year (that's what it seems to be, from my perspective, not a general decline) this year. Most of their big players are still in their mid/late 20s primes, and with Buffalo owning their first rounder this/next year, they arent going to pack things in for a rebuild.

Given those two factors, how is moving Schenn now for future-ish assets, this season, a good idea for the Blues? Unless you see a home run type deal for prospects who are dying to step up (and will very soon match Schenn's production/effectiveness). And those kinds of deals have clearly been rejected. I get that Schenn only has a year left. But, IMO, if both player and team bounce back next year, it would make a whole lot of sense that they want to extend him. Their time to win is clearly now (this disastrous season notwithstanding).

I get that other teams would want to acquire him. I just dont understand how a competitive team where he looks at home would sell him off for anything less than an over-payment. If the Blues cant right the ship, and are still below average next year, then maybe that's the time to auction him off.

when fans look at a team and we all agree on paper they are great... and then they don't perform... we have only a couple possible conclusions to form

1/none of us know what we are talking about when evaluating talent or

2/we don't have all the facts

I think we have to go with option 2 here. something isn't right with the mix st louis put together.

if we follow this logic... we are left struggling to figure it out ourselves... but we know we can assume that the teams insiders and braintrust must be trying to figure it out themselves. if we follow what they are doing we can read their minds how they are thinking

some people say it only makes sense to trade schenn if they get an unbelievable return. that might be true, if... they had an unbelievable offer and pulled the trigger

instead they are shopping him

its like when boston shopped seguin. bruin fans were horrified that we could shop seguin. I said we would shop seguin and my fellow fans wanted to castrate me. they said we would never shop seguin. they said other teams might come and ask about him... but we would never shop seguin

they made a tv show called behind the b's where the camers film the braintrust shopping seguin

the return we got... wasn't unbelievable

im sorry... but when a team identifies a player as a locker room cancer then his value goes down. when a team is shopping a guy after 1 season where he had a career year... warning flags go up. im sorry

will it eventually be boston that trades for him? I don't know... personally im luke warm to get a left shot 3rd line center making 5 mill when I strongly suspect he didn't fit in st louis. I don't make the trades though. if he is willing to play rw we might feel hes a good get. I tend to think it wont happen but its fun to discuss

I just think when he is dealt... a lot of fans will be surprised how cheap he goes for. will st louis recoup the 2 first round picks they gave up for him? I feel... that's about the best they can hope for. luckily it was probably worth a first round pick to rent him last year. can they recoup the second first round pick? I would give up a first for him. hes not perfect. he might not even be ideal for bostons needs. but hes a good player and he might fit into bostons locker room.

a first or something like a first... and something else to beat the competing offers. there will be competing offers. seems Toronto could use him. id be surprised if they didn't make an offer.

might be worth overpaying just to keep him out of their hands

Veneficus

Sep 30, 2014
I think any trade starts with a 1st and Bergeron.

It does in my dreams at least.

I would hate to lose Schenn to be perfectly honest, I love his game when he's on. I think he's played up to last year but the blues just never have it working all at once. Even Allen looked decent for a week or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad