Rumor: STL Blues and BOS Bruins trade rumor involving Brayden Schenn

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
He'd be the 2nd line wing, but with the flexibility to move around when necessary. That's what I would do with him because that's what your needs are IMO.
Its tough because we really could use a top 6 right winger and a 3rd line center. So not sure where we would get the most benefit from him tbh.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Schenn is a lot better than Krejci.
No he isn't. I feel like you could make an argument each way in who is the better player but on no planet is Schenn "a lot better". Krejci is having a better year, on pace for 60+ points currently. Schenn peaked at 70 points last year but otherwise has been someone to produce in the 50s. Krejci had a down year last season but beyond that has been consistently good for 50 or 60 points. Schenn has age on side side but that's a different story.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Maybe, but lets not deny that what I said also is true based on lurking the Bruins board.

I'm only addressing what you were responding to in this thread. I don't know or care what you think you saw lurking on the Boston board. In Boston, Schenn would center line 3.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
He'd be the 2nd line wing, but with the flexibility to move around when necessary. That's what I would do with him because that's what your needs are IMO.

This is where he should be anyway. Schenn is no Center. That is simply our mixed up coaching staff trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. If it doesn't fit just get a bigger hammer. People we are talking about a guy that is a serious negative player 5 on 5 in his career minus the one big year last season. He also has the hockey IQ of a turnip so he has been miscast in St.Louis big time. Bruins would play him on wing where he belongs in my opinion.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This is where he should be anyway. Schenn is no Center. That is simply our mixed up coaching staff trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. If it doesn't fit just get a bigger hammer. People we are talking about a guy that is a serious negative player 5 on 5 in his career minus the one big year last season. He also has the hockey IQ of a turnip so he has been miscast in St.Louis big time. Bruins would play him on wing where he belongs in my opinion.
He's been fine at center, had the best year in his career there.

Reactions: rumrokh and 67Blues

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
His flexibility is his asset. In the playoffs against a team like Toronto, you can better match up with 3 quality centers, and against other teams that are more top heavy and he play wing in the top 6.

Reactions: wintersej

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Schenn is a lot better than Krejci.

Krejci career PPG = 0.74
Schenn career PPG = 0.62

Krejci PPG this year = 0.79
Schenn PPG this year = 0.66

Krejci playoffs = 32-55-87 in 108, 2x led the league in playoff scoring
Schenn playoffs = 3-11-14 in 24

There isnt a metric where Schenn is better than Krejci. Not meant as a knock on Schenn btw, just pointing out that he's no Krejci

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Krejci career PPG = 0.74
Schenn career PPG = 0.62

Krejci PPG this year = 0.79
Schenn PPG this year = 0.66

Krejci playoffs = 32-55-87 in 108, 2x led the league in playoff scoring
Schenn playoffs = 3-11-14 in 24

There isnt a metric where Schenn is better than Krejci. Not meant as a knock on Schenn btw, just pointing out that he's no Krejci
Yeah, Krejci has no doubt had a better career.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'm only addressing what you were responding to in this thread. I don't know or care what you think you saw lurking on the Boston board. In Boston, Schenn would center line 3.

Or be #2RW. Which I think is the point. If one of the kid Cs or Wings gets ready, they are not blocked. And if the Bruins can find another deal for a winger or C for this year they aint blocked either. Flexibility!

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Or be #2RW. Which I think is the point. If one of the kid Cs or Wings gets ready, they are not blocked. And if the Bruins can find another deal for a winger or C for this year they aint blocked either. Flexibility!
He's sort of what you guys thought you were buying in Backes, but Backes was just old and banged up.

Reactions: wintersej

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Is Grzelcyk more like Kris Russell or Jared Spurgeon? Both are small that leave you wanting more offensively, but one is a legit top 4, while Russell is more of a 3rd pairing guy that can play 2nd pairing when needed.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He's sort of what you guys thought you were buying in Backes, but Backes was just old and banged up.

You are probably best not comparing him to Backes ;). But yes, totally agree. Honestly, Backes was fine last year and looks better the last few weeks after coming back. OBVIOUSLY not worth his cap hit and too slow to play in the middle now... but looking more like he did at the end of his run in STL.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You are probably best not comparing him to Backes ;). But yes, totally agree. Honestly, Backes was fine last year and looks better the last few weeks after coming back. OBVIOUSLY not worth his cap hit and too slow to play in the middle now... but looking more like he did at the end of his run in STL.

It's the age. Players of that style just don't last. Luckily Schenn is younger and while he hits, it's not the same as Backes, he was definitely more of the old-school that would put his body through hell.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
He's been fine at center, had the best year in his career there.

Matter of opinion. I knew coming in that Schenn was a negative 5 on 5 player but he was reported to be a PP beast so you live with that. Problem is he has been horrible on the PP this year. He has 2 goals. Where is that cannon shot he supposedly has? Now either the effort is not there or we were sold a bag of goods in Brayden. He is a minus 10 so he hasn't been fine there. Now I know the whole team is in the negative but this is in line with his career outside of last season. My point is all the folks here calling him a top 6 Center are just wrong. He is a winger miscast as a Center. I do believe Schenn can do damage though. He can skate and score but needs to be with top players to feed him and mask his defensive shortcomings. He has value, I am just pointing out that the Blues are not a good fit for him. Blues should be paid according to his talent level and I don't mean these Fringe prospects being offered by Bruins fans in this thread.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Is Grzelcyk more like Kris Russell or Jared Spurgeon? Both are small that leave you wanting more offensively, but one is a legit top 4, while Russell is more of a 3rd pairing guy that can play 2nd pairing when needed.

more of a Spurgeon than Russell.

Grzelcyk is definitely a 2nd pairing guy. Like you said, small, can carry the puck and looks like a PMD just without the scoring, but Grzelcyk is good in his own zone. He can defend well, just has the issue of being easily out muscled. (yes +/- is overrated, but +21 with 15 pts last year is telling)

Reactions: Blueston

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
This rumor makes very little sense to me.

1. The Blues trade for Schenn, who after years of showing promise that he could step up offensively, finally does so in St Louis to the tune of 70 points after a hot start. People seem to agree that the player has found a good home and the team have found an offensive star who broke out.

2. The Blues have a down year (that's what it seems to be, from my perspective, not a general decline) this year. Most of their big players are still in their mid/late 20s primes, and with Buffalo owning their first rounder this/next year, they arent going to pack things in for a rebuild.

Given those two factors, how is moving Schenn now for future-ish assets, this season, a good idea for the Blues? Unless you see a home run type deal for prospects who are dying to step up (and will very soon match Schenn's production/effectiveness). And those kinds of deals have clearly been rejected. I get that Schenn only has a year left. But, IMO, if both player and team bounce back next year, it would make a whole lot of sense that they want to extend him. Their time to win is clearly now (this disastrous season notwithstanding).

I get that other teams would want to acquire him. I just dont understand how a competitive team where he looks at home would sell him off for anything less than an over-payment. If the Blues cant right the ship, and are still below average next year, then maybe that's the time to auction him off.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

1. The Blues trade for Schenn, who after years of showing promise that he could step up offensively, finally does so in St Louis to the tune of 70 points after a hot start. People seem to agree that the player has found a good home and the team have found an offensive star who broke out.

2. The Blues have a down year (that's what it seems to be, from my perspective, not a general decline) this year. Most of their big players are still in their mid/late 20s primes, and with Buffalo owning their first rounder this/next year, they arent going to pack things in for a rebuild.

Given those two factors, how is moving Schenn now for future-ish assets, this season, a good idea for the Blues? Unless you see a home run type deal for prospects who are dying to step up (and will very soon match Schenn's production/effectiveness). And those kinds of deals have clearly been rejected. I get that Schenn only has a year left. But, IMO, if both player and team bounce back next year, it would make a whole lot of sense that they want to extend him. Their time to win is clearly now (this disastrous season notwithstanding).

I get that other teams would want to acquire him. I just dont understand how a competitive team where he looks at home would sell him off for anything less than an over-payment. If the Blues cant right the ship, and are still below average next year, then maybe that's the time to auction him off.
Idea is you get more in return for him this year than next. Blues aren't good so having him now doesn't make much difference. And Thomas should be able to handle 2nd line center duty next year. Key though is what is return for Schenn? Whomever we get I expect club feels needs to be able to contribute to next year's team.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012

He has looked mostly lost this year though and I am not sure it is his fault. Last year he clicked with Schwartz big time but it was more like Schenn was feeding off of Jaden even though He was the Center. The puck tenacity of 17 often led to Schenn being able to use his skates and get open for high quality chances. That just hasn't been here this year for either player. Schwartz down year has played a big role in that as well as for the team overall. Just my opinion but Schenn could thrive again with the right type of player. Playing with Bergeron, Martian and Krejci could do wonders for a player that I see as a talented but mercurial player.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

You've pretty much just echoed most of the posters on the Blues board.

The Blues have spent the last 20 years with center depth that peaked with Backes - Stastny - Lehtera. Yeah, that was the Blues peak during that span. That's how terrible it's been in St. Louis. But now, after getting depth that can rival most teams in the league with O'Reilly as an adequate 1C, Schenn as a fantastic 2C, and either Thomas or Bozak providing good depth on the 3rd line, for some reason the Blues need to sell off Schenn. I can't fathom how any Blues fan can think it's a good idea unless Schenn just hates the idea of being in St. Louis after next year.

And as a general disclaimer, (this is not directed at you Extra Texture) Schenn is a top-6 center. There just isn't any justification for calling him anything less.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I remember when Blues fans tried to tell me this guy was a bonafide #1C because he scored exactly 70 points in an unsustainable fluke of a season. :laugh:

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
Lol I think he means me! Schenn is not a facilitator he is a scorer. He doesn't pay enough attention to defense to be a shutdown type and he isn't anything special on faceoffs. To act like Schenn is an upper tier Center has really cost the Blues in my opinion and is a small part of their poor record. I just don't think the Blues trust Thomas yet on defense. Either Schenn or Bozek has to go and I have said from day one Schenn has the most value of any Blue they could afford to trade. I honestly don't think he fits here going forward and will be a problem next year unless they move him to Wing. The reason the team itself is trying to move him is that he is just the obvious choice. It is well past fan rumors at this point.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Lol I think he means me! Schenn is not a facilitator he is a scorer. He doesn't pay enough attention to defense to be a shutdown type and he isn't anything special on faceoffs. To act like Schenn is an upper tier Center has really cost the Blues in my opinion and is a small part of their poor record. I just don't think the Blues trust Thomas yet on defense. Either Schenn or Bozek has to go and I have said from day one Schenn has the most value of any Blue they could afford to trade. I honestly don't think he fits here going forward and will be a problem next year unless they move him to Wing. The reason the team itself is trying to move him is that he is just the obvious choice. It is well past fan rumors at this point.

This all makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense to me now is STL fans asking for a center in return? If I am STL I'd rather try to get TWO LD from Boston. Lauzon/Zboril/Gryz. Pick two. Bruins still have Chara, Krug, Moore, Vaak and the remainder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad