Still proud of this team

905PENS

Oskee wee wee
Apr 9, 2013
Hamilton Ontario
All of you shark fans should be proud of this team. A little short of the ultimate goal...But still the best playoff push to date. You have a few quality young players who will only get better. A goalie who in my opinion was the best player on the ice for the final. There are teams who haven't won the cup since the late 60s and would love to even make a deep playoff push

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
No matter what happens, I'm already looking forward to next years season. That's how much I loved this ride the Sharks took us on. Should be a fun 2016/2017 campaign.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com
I'm beyond proud of this team. There is no question that they left it ALL out on the ice and got way further than expected. What a season!!

I really wanted to see Jumbo get the cup and I believe he deserves one. He is a bonafide hall of famer/all time great.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
Sharks aren't losing anyone significant to this team in free agency, either. They're set to be a contender next season. Window ain't closed yet.
I opened a thread about our window next season on the main board.

I wanted reverse-jinx the Sharks :laugh:
Oh well, guess that didn't work out.

Ukapitalo

Jul 5, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
We're getting flamed hard on the main SC board. There's a thread for every player that didn't come through in the finals.

I'm still proud of our run, it was reallllllllly fun until the end. Next year's team is going to be even better.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
We're getting flamed hard on the main SC board. There's a thread for every player that didn't come through in the finals.

I'm still proud of our run, it was reallllllllly fun until the end. Next year's team is going to be even better.
It's like a public execution.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
It was an amazing run. I am very proud of this team. To be at game 6 and hear "Let's go Sharks" after the game was over... It was just incredible. As much as it sucks to lose, this run should give us hope. Our window has NOT closed. Jumbo will remain elite and we are not losing anyone next year. (Hopefully Spaling and Polak though). It's gonna feel like a long offseason but I'm very excited for next season and hopefully another memorable playoff run

EmergencyExit

Aug 9, 2011
Toronto
I think they're likely to come out strong and fade as the year progresses Hangovers are generally for the winning team not the losers. There is a lot of motivation having to eat this loss.

I know it's not directly comparable but Tampa was a win shy of back to back SCF appearances. Why not us? If we don't run Thornton and the older guys into the ground they should be able to make another run. It's just this World Cup stuff that has me worried.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I want to see us 20 games into the season with a better record than last year having lost 3 of the last 4 games with 5-1 loss in there and wait for the Fire Doug Wilson thread to pop it's head up :laugh:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I want to see us 20 games into the season with a better record than last year having lost 3 of the last 4 games with 5-1 loss in there and wait for the Fire Doug Wilson thread to pop it's head up :laugh:

I will bump that thread if he buys out Thornton.

Trades Hertl for grit

Trades Donskoi so that he can sign Lucic.

Trades Braun for grit

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Very proud. Watched the game last evening on tape and couldn't sleep during the night, a mere 2-3 hours. Had to go through it all in my head. Well, I didn't get through completely yet but clearly a better mood than right after the game.

Why wouldn't I be proud? Yes, it still hurts. Of ****ing course, who the hell knows when they'll reach the SCF again. If ever. That's not the point though. They made it reached it now and no one expected them to. It was a magical run. Kings? Preds? Blues? We beat those teams. I didn't expect it.

Being a diehard fan in Finland is hard.. No, I can not catch all the games. Waking up at the night? Sure, why not when I can but I work and soon go to school.. Sorry. But these playoffs I had the opportunity to watch them, later on my own terms. And that's what I did.

What this journey did really do was strenghten my emotional bond to the Sharks. I loved them before the run and now I really love them more. And the sport too. The ending could have been better but that's how it goes sometimes. It's not like the world just ended or they relocated the team. No way.

Thanks for the 15-16 season, Sharks. I'll be with you for the next one as well.

EDIT: And one more thing.. So, so happy for all the fans out there that finally had the opportunity to see the Sharks at home playing in a SCF.

Last edited:

alex716

Jan 10, 2014
For sure. When many fans wanted to start over after 2014, I believed in this core. I have posts here where I said that what they needed was a 2nd line winger, and puck moving D with a shot. And maybe a bit more depth. Burns was the D they were looking for. Wilson got a 2nd line winger in Donskoi, and he improved the depth, and added a good goalie. They didn't win, but they were the best team in the west. Pens was a tricky opponent. The Sharks can be here next season too, and then they will probably face a team that suits them better. And if they're facing the Pens again, then that would just show what a great team they are, and they would be more prepared. There's nothing embarrassing about losing to the best team. And with Hertl, things could have been different.

I am disappointed with Pavelski and Burns in this series. Everybody else, at least the core, played within their means. They tried. Burns will bounce back. He's that kind of guy, and Pavelski is a hard worker. If he's injured, or have something to work on, I think he will do his best to fix it.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Absolutely proud of this team. This was the best Sharks team ever. They took the Penguins to 6 games, and were dominant most of the time in the first 3 rounds. Crushed the Kings in only 5 games. Beat the Blues when they were clearly the favorites in the media. I could go on, but we all know what they did this season. All in all, I have been following this team for nearly its entire existence and I have never EVER been prouder of the team than I am right now.

Yes, this loss really hurts. I thought they could win this series. But they ran into a better team, so they didn't. No choking involved here, they just lost. No shame in that, it just happens sometimes. Hopefully they get back there within the next year or two so they can give Thornton another crack at the cup. I think they can. It looks like we are going to be a better team next year than this one just because of the new blood coming in.

DuckEatinShark

GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
Of course I'm proud of this team. They've become my favorite team in the Bay Area. I would skip Warriors playoff games for Sharks' ones.

I don't think this team is mentally fragile like everyone else says. This team faced adversity several times before meeting the Pens. The old Sharks would've folded after Arvidsson's goal in game 6 vs Nashville, and collapsed after game 1 vs Blues. But they always bounced back.

And for all the haters, I thought it was silly to fire Doug Wilson. How many GMs can continually put his team in the playoffs while continue to retool with good young players like Hertl, Donskoi and Braun? Has he made mistakes? Of course, like every GM has. But overall he's actually done a pretty fair job even though we haven't won one. But we're in better shape than Vancouver, New Jersey, LA, or Niners, A's, etc.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I will bump that thread if he buys out Thornton.

Trades Hertl for grit

Trades Donskoi so that he can sign Lucic.

Trades Braun for grit

Most people would disagree but I really would not mind seeing Lucic on our team. I do not see that happening, at all, given what Lucic will get in FA this year but thinking that he does not help our team would be very silly.

Lucic-Jumbo-Pavs
Meier-Couture-Donskoi
Patty-Hertl-Goldobin
Ward-Tierney-Nieto
Karlsson, Carpenter, Sorenson

Trade Wingels to clear some cap space. I would really like Dillon to be traded too (gives us even more cap space), but we have no know LHD prospect that is ready to step up.

Vlasic-Braun
Martin-Burns
Ryan-DeMelo/Heed
Mueller, Bergman

I am not advocating signing Lucic by the way. But having a proven top-6 player on that wing which gives us the ability to move Hertl down will immediately fix a lot of depth/scoring issues.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
That was a good run. The Sharks overachieved. Let's not kid ourselves, our D and our 3rd/4th lines were not championship material and frankly not normally SCF material. Vlasic, while amazing defensively, literally shoots worse than beer leaguers. With Burns not getting his shots through, the rest of the defense could be completely ignored in the penguins zone.

The lack of physicality on the 3rd/4th lines compared with already non-physical 1st/2nd lines meant that Letang pretty much got to play shinny out there logging huge, high quality minutes all series. Honestly, if Pitt said this was the softest team they played in the playoffs I couldn't really argue it.

Overall tho, I'm pretty happy with this season. Good playoffs everyone, fun season.

Really couldn't disagree more! One good thing about the Penguins winning the cup is it can finally put ridiculous arguments like this to rest. You don't need superstars in every position of your lineup. You don't need a Marty Brodeur in net, and you don't need multiple Norris trophy candidates. There is no single ingredient for a team to win the Stanley Cup. The Penguins have Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Kessel and then a bunch of solid players, no different than the Sharks. In fact I'd argue the Sharks are the better team on paper. The Penguins spread their top talent throughout the lineup and the filler players stepped up, plain and simple.

You are going to claim our 3rd/4th lines and 3rd D pairing are weak but not acknowledge the mediocre players on the Penguins who are playing way over their heads? Just take a look at the Pens D. With Daley out, they have 2 maybe 3 guys who are justifiable top 4 guys. Up front they have guys who were basically AHLers until the 2nd half of this season and could easily return to being 10 goal players while playing in their top 6.

The Sharks lineup was 100% more built for a Cup than the Penguins was and arguments like this show that certain fans never want to account for momentum, matchups, hot streaks or simply gelling at the right time.

Does anyone think Bonino is going to be nearly a point-per-game player next season? Or Rust and Sheary becoming top 6 forwards like they're slotted in the lineup? Please.

This team had a D-man who was cast off from the OILERS. And yes, Shultz has offensive abilities but no one in their right mind would have thought he'd slot in the top 6 of a Cup winning team.

So no we did not "over-achieved". The only people who will believe this are the ones who argue the rigid rules such as a cup winning team must have ____, ____ & _____ and to be fair this year I think we had those typical guidelines (1-2 Norris d-men, good #1 & #2 Center and a great goalie).

This years team simply achieved. As Sharks fans we've been brain washed by past seasons to think the Sharks are cursed and cannot win and then we undervalue our team/players searching for some desperate reason why we didn't win. The team this year was built to go all the way and they almost did. There isn't a team in the West that I look at and think, "we should have lost to them".

Our top 4 D is as good as pretty much any top 4 in the league and I'd argue on the level of any top 4 of the past few Cup winners. Our forward group has great depth, top end talent and players good to great in both ends of the ice. We have what looks like a world class goalie. This team is built to win.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Neither the coaches nor the players (outside Marleau) have had a decade+ to get it right. Maybe it's time for the **** to roll uphill for a change.

Additions:
Jones = Great
Ward = Great
Martin = Good
Donskoi = Great
Spaling = OK
Pollak = Ehh to average
Deboer = Good

So was it not Wilson who made all of these changes? Let me guess, still mad about Wallin, and Stuart...

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Sharks aren't losing anyone significant to this team in free agency, either. They're set to be a contender next season. Window ain't closed yet.

I think our team will be even better (except for maybe some fatigue factor). Don't think any teams in the West will improve to the point where the Sharks would be knocked out of the top 2-3 favorites in the conference.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
No matter what happens, I'm already looking forward to next years season. That's how much I loved this ride the Sharks took us on. Should be a fun 2016/2017 campaign.

And think about how close it is. Because we played in to the 2nd week of June, we're only about 12 weeks from camp/World Cup. Shortest period we'll ever experience between Sharks seasons. :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad