STILL HOPE? NHL and NHLPA MEET MONDAY - Talks Run for 7 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
"TSN has learned that NHL executive vice-president Bill Daly and NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin met Monday at an undisclosed location in a last-ditch attempt to save the season. The two sides are still behind closed doors. As in some previous meetings, Bettman and union chief Bob Goodenow are not in the room."

That'd explain the press conference being pushed back a day - the big guns will likely be involved tomorrow.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think the day being pushed back is as significant as some think, I mean, it could good news, but Bettman never actually announced a drop dead date...

With the suspense they're putting all their fans through right now, they'd better not cancel the season...

That's why when people say, it's too late to start a season, I say, it's too late to cancel a season, the damage they're doing to their hard core fans (really, the only one's left) is damage that not even the most dedicated hockey fan can put up with or forgive

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
We'll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they are flown in the next war

Just like yesterday
No, no!

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
Though I know that the hypnotized never lie
Do ya?

There's nothing in the streets
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

Just like yesterday
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

mackdogs*

417 TO MTL said:
I don't think the day being pushed back is as significant as some think, I mean, it could good news, but Bettman never actually announced a drop dead date...

With the suspense they're putting all their fans through right now, they'd better not cancel the season...

That's why when people say, it's too late to start a season, I say, it's too late to cancel a season, the damage they're doing to their hard core fans (really, the only one's left) is damage that not even the most dedicated hockey fan can put up with or forgive
I'm with ya dude. I've had faith all along these 2 idiotic sides will finally agree on something and salvage some kind of a season. They know it will drop ratings to lawn dart levels in the US. I think the pushing back of this meeting must mean they still think it can work. If it is truly dead why bother. Keep your fingers crossed!

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
JWI19 said:
We'll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

Just like yesterday

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they are flown in the next war

Just like yesterday
No, no!

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
Though I know that the hypnotized never lie
Do ya?

There's nothing in the streets
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

Just like yesterday
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

One of my favorite songs from my favorite band ever. Off topic I know but who cares.

two out of three*

Everybody say NON-positive things to reverse the curse.

PantherBlood6*

Bettman moving the date back until Wednesday is his way of trying to neutralize Goodenow and his reputation of a deadline hunter. For all Goodenow knows, he could push the official announcement back as long as he wants to get Goodenow to budge -- or he could actually mean business and announce it on Wednesday. This prevents Goodenow from using the date AGAINST Bettman to create pressure.

It's a good strategy, honestly, but I'm afraid it's going to backfire -- Goodenow's ego wont allow Bettman to "beat" him and will eventually lead to the season being cancelled.

I've gotten to the point where I don't even care anymore -- cancel the damn season or play, but enough with this propaganda BS already :mad:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The only way Goodenow will get beat is if Gary Bettman comes out before the deadline and cancels the season.

I beleive.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
I shall build a mighty vessle, like none we have seen before, and I shall fill it, and cram it full of hope, hope for a season, your hope for a season, and my hope for a season! I will cram it beyond any safty regulations but fear not for our ship is unsinkable! Gretzky himself could not sink this ship!

a ship of this magnitude and stature deserves a name that rings of confidence, a name that inspires the masses of hockey fans from coast to coast, a vessle of such awe inspiring power that it deserves a name that itself should be awe inspiring.

I can think of only one name, a name so perfect, so fitting it can belong to no other ship!

Ladies and Gentlemen I christian our vessle...THE TITANIC!!!!!!

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
TKF37 said:
Bettman moving the date back until Wednesday is his way of trying to neutralize Goodenow and his reputation of a deadline hunter. For all Goodenow knows, he could push the official announcement back as long as he wants to get Goodenow to budge -- or he could actually mean business and announce it on Wednesday. This prevents Goodenow from using the date AGAINST Bettman to create pressure.

It's a good strategy, honestly, but I'm afraid it's going to backfire -- Goodenow's ego wont allow Bettman to "beat" him and will eventually lead to the season being cancelled.

I've gotten to the point where I don't even care anymore -- cancel the damn season or play, but enough with this propaganda BS already :mad:
No - I think he moved the date back to respect the funeral of the late Sutter. Sorry optimists who find silver lining in that cloud... but really it would be disrespectful to the Sutter family to have the cancellation on a funeral day.

Mourning two deaths in one day is too much for hockey.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Scugs said:
MY LORD!!!!

My optimism has returned... Glen Healy is OPTIMISTIC! And thinks that a deal will get done!

How the hell does Healy go from being the most pessimistic on the panel to the most optimistic overnight? Just goes to show you he's paid to play a role and has been playing it up. He's a tool... but, I've always been optimistic, so I'll let his ineptness slide... for now.

- T

Vic Rattlehead*

Heh, when Healy is optimistic, it either means he's drunk or something is going on.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Scugs said:
TSN News Update: As of 8pm EST, sides are still meeting.

If they go to sleep tonight before I do, there won't be a season.

well, I have to get up early tomorrow, so maybe not me, but most people here...

MattNJD

Oct 21, 2002
New Jersey
During the 1st intermission of the AHL all star game on ESPN2 Melrose sounded optimistic. They have phone calls out and will give a further update after the 2nd period. Just thought I would pass along the info.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
go kim johnsson said:
If they go to sleep tonight before I do, there won't be a season.

well, I have to get up early tomorrow, so maybe not me, but most people here...

Not quite fair to them seing as these boards rock and roll 24 hours a day butI get your drift.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
MattNJD said:
During the 1st intermission of the AHL all star game on ESPN2 Melrose sounded optimistic. They have phone calls out and will give a further update after the 2nd period. Just thought I would pass along the info.

I highly doubt anyone will clue them in at his juncture.

They're right though. This is when deals get done. The problem is they said the same thing during an intermission of the WJC's too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad