STILL HOPE? NHL and NHLPA MEET MONDAY - Talks Run for 7 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
TonySCV said:
It's nitpicking, but doesn't say "If nothing is on paper... then I will cancel the season on Sunday". It just says he'll cancel the season. He can do it whenever he wants, but most were expecting it to happen by no later than Wednesday.

This is an attempt to broker a deal for THIS season, something Bettman said wouldn't fly after the weekend.

Leafer4Life

Go Leafs Go!
Oct 4, 2002
Owen Sound,Ontario
www.facebook.com
Bill_Meltzer said:
The TSN guys seemed to be suddenly hopeful. I just turned on the AHL All-Star game, mostly to see the intermission updates and secondarily to see the game.

It should be noted, for whatever it's worth, that USAToday's Kevin Allen is quoting a source "speaking on condition on anonymity" who said the rest of the 2004-2005 season will be cancelled on Wednesday, regardless of what happens in the Daly-Saskin meeting (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2005-02-14-lockout_x.htm).

Also, Canadian Press is reporting the meeting today apparently "didn't solve anything," although they don't cite a reason for declaring that and noted the meeting was still ongoing (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050214_123026_5476).

First of all, if the season was definitely going to be cancelled, what would be the point of Daly and Saskin meeting tonight?!!?!? I don't buy what USAToday is spewing. Second of all, it may appear that the meeting hadn't solved anything, but how does sportsnet,Canadian Press, etc, really know that?!?!?!? They just ASSUME it! JMO!

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
May be overly optimistic, but perhaps something like this could be brewing. We do see some sort of breakthrough tonight which leads to an agreement. Bettman takes the stage on Wednesday to announce not only the cancellation of this season, but the signing of a new agreement for next season. Just occured to me, so I apologize if its been suggested before, or if its riddled with flaws. It would allow the league to have a full draft, and allow the teams to go about their regular off-season sposorship and season ticket drives.

Just reaching here. I've always been of the opinion that we wouldn't have a deal until a firm deadline was set, regardless of what the mainstream media suggested.

mvp76

Aug 21, 2004
planet earth
JWI19 said:
We'll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they are flown in the next war

Just like yesterday
No, no!

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
Though I know that the hypnotized never lie
Do ya?

There's nothing in the streets
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

Just like yesterday
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

:allears:

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
kenabnrmal said:
May be overly optimistic, but perhaps something like this could be brewing. We do see some sort of breakthrough tonight which leads to an agreement. Bettman takes the stage on Wednesday to announce not only the cancellation of this season, but the signing of a new agreement for next season. Just occured to me, so I apologize if its been suggested before, or if its riddled with flaws. It would allow the league to have a full draft, and allow the teams to go about their regular off-season sposorship and season ticket drives.

Just reaching here. I've always been of the opinion that we wouldn't have a deal until a firm deadline was set, regardless of what the mainstream media suggested.

Not inconceivable ... players would have to get some $$ for this season though.

WHARF1940

Jan 2, 2005
down in a hole
dw2927 said:
He had to have been hammered when he said (and presumably) meant that..
The best was watching him flash his ring last night, yeah, he did a whole lot to get THAT.
He deserved it more for what he did in the '93 playoffs then what he did riding the pine!

Leafer4Life

Go Leafs Go!
Oct 4, 2002
Owen Sound,Ontario
www.facebook.com
If Bettman were going to cancel the season, regardless of progress or no progress made tonight, I think that he would've just went ahead and cancelled it tomorrow. He wouldn't have moved the press conference up to Wednesday. He did that to see if any agreement could be reached tonight. Here's the key points of the sportsnet.ca article:

Initially a source said Bettman's announcement cancelling the season was set for Tuesday, but it was changed to Wednesday. It appears the reason was an unannounced meeting Monday between Bill Daly and Ted Saskin, the lead negotiators for the NHL and the NHLPA, a session confirmed by another source.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
That's what I've been saying all along...No news = good news...

but I get my hopes up far too easily and get them shattered far worse each time...lol

I just don't understand how they couldn't just resign the current CBA with the intent to negotiate a new one to start the following season...

Stupid PA...stupid NHL....stupid everything and everyone and stupid waste of a day! VALENTINES DAY IS FOR THE WEAK!!!!....ok...I'm done now

WHARF1940

Jan 2, 2005
down in a hole
Canadian Chris said:
That's what I've been saying all along...No news = good news...

but I get my hopes up far too easily and get them shattered far worse each time...lol

I just don't understand how they couldn't just resign the current CBA with the intent to negotiate a new one to start the following season...

Stupid PA...stupid NHL....stupid everything and everyone and stupid waste of a day! VALENTINES DAY IS FOR THE WEAK!!!!....ok...I'm done now
seems to me that most people who are echoing your sentiment about valentine's day are here or in chats all day today, hmm......coincidence, I think not!! :dunno:

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
that's because my girlfriend is at work...other wise I'd be with her and not worrying about this stupid lockout...and how badly the Cougars suck...and how well the Spruce Kings are playing...and grades...and all taht other stuff..

Generally though, Ithink it's a stupid day...but I go along with it...lol...

soo.[.....anyone got any news???? Just throw me a bone!

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Leafer4Life said:
True, but it's driving me crazy, waiting to hear updates! I'll put up with it though, because the longer their in there, the better........

Best bet is to get out and do something for a couple of hours. Come back, and you have a virtual flood of updates.

Reilly311

sabres_phan said:
That they're going to write off the 2005 season and finally finish the 1999 season?

BRILLIANT FIRST POST. :clap:

you're my new favorite member. I better see a lot more of you in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad