Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Lightning' started by Psychoil, Jan 24, 2013.

1. DFC

DFC Registered User

Joseph and Volkov are probably closer. I'd like to see what Volkov does in his second camp.

Master P and CupsOverCash like this.
  2. CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash Registered User

Yea I forgot about these guys as well. I think one of them will be given a legit shot to make the team. We need to find another threat at RW. Preferably someone who can set up Stamkos besides Kucherov.

3. Stamkos Indulgence

Stamkos Indulgence Eating crow

Bring MSL out of retirement

DominicBoltsFan and CupsOverCash like this.
  4. Todd1a

Todd1a Kucherov or prospect

5. Coopers Gum

Coopers Gum Extend Andrej Sustr

It's probably been said here, but I don't care to comb through 276 pages of posts. My buddy showed me a stat the other day. Stamkos is scoreless in game 7's. I don't remember if he has no assists or goals, but he definitely has no goals in any game 7 he's been in in the NHL.

That, to me, is crazy. Hard to call the guy not clutch, seeing as he set our OT goal record, and is just about a point per game in the playoffs. But those are the moments we need the superstar to step up.

6. JoVel

JoVel Registered User

He doesn't have a single point in any kind of elimination game since 2011.

7. CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash Registered User

Hes never been a guy to put a team on his back even in the regular season. Stamkos is a great offensive weapon and a great guy, that is about where it stops with him. Hes ok 2 way. Not a liability in that area so thats good. I think his passing can be bad. His decision making can be bad. I mean hes done well in those two areas before it is just not consistent and downright bad sometimes. The bad part is that he tries to be that kind of player when hes clearly not.

And this is part of why I want to get Kucherov away from Stamkos. I see Kucherov trying to be like the bad Stamkos. Poor passes and decisions. Both guys need to use what is so great about them more, their shot. I would like to see a good puck distributor to play with them and watch their goals and points go. Point I think plays really well with Kucherov. Was kind of shocked we didnt put these two together in the last couple of games. We need another MSL type skill player to play with Stamkos and those guys dont just grow on trees.

8. Sky04

Sky04 Registered User

Kucherov's worst habit is being too cute sometimes but this is amplified when playing with Stamkos this is because Kucherov holds Stamkos in too high of a regard when he's actually the better player. This wasn't the case with MSL who was in more of a mentor role, MSL would hammer it into him to shoot everytime he passed it to him. You could see MSL calling people out on the bench, Stamkos needs to do that to Kucherov but he's certainly not as vocal or assertive as MSL.

CupsOverCash likes this.
  9. LightningStrikes

LightningStrikes Hedmonster

MSL was very respected and more like a coach, a playing coach, who was almost always the best player out there on top. Hard to find another player like him, let alone demand relatively young players like Kucherov to act like him especially around older and "more established" players like his captain Steven Stamkos. Kuch will get frustrated at times, yes, but mostly because he himself messed up. Very rarely you will see him get agitated because of a bad play of one of his teammates. And I've never seen him get riled up because Stamkos messed up (which happens a lot).

There were stories of Marty regularily discussing game plans, team strategy and drills with coach Boucher at practices. Very heated discussions at times even. Find me another player in the NHL right now who 1) does that, 2) does it well and 3) won't get punished and tossed out by his coach for it.

CupsOverCash likes this.