Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Hey guys, just here to ask about mr.91 for you guys, in particular his rookie season. Not gonna lie, when I saw his stats first year, I thought he was gonna be a bust, Obviously I ate my foot, and he has become if not the best scorer in the NHL.

I'm just wondering as to what his first season was like, simply because we have nail, who is a sniper, but he seems to be off so far with our system/players on his line. I just wanna see if we can draw some comparisons to stamkos's first year to see what he was like. I just wanna know how he played throughout his first year, and his development/mindset. How many chances did he get per game? Did he look invisible for stretches, was he just not finishing all the time? was he not getting into the right places? what did he do right? what did he do wrong.

Lol lots of questions i know, but it'd really help me get a gauge for what we have in N64.

Thanks boys, enjoy da season!

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He was a rookie that year and like Nail he will have his issues early. I also think our instability at coaching position didnt help matters much. Barry didnt think he was ready to play at the NHL level yet. He may have been right but he caught on the more experience he got. He eventually found the net on occasion that year. Its just experience and letting these guys play and learn from their mistakes. Im sure Nail will be a great player for you guys. It just takes time.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
He had his chances but had some stretches of being invisible, our coaches sucked.
He got much better when scratched a few games

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
He (Stammer) has/had some great players to help him grow and develop his game. I seem to remember lots of Tampa fans talking about Nail, maybe hoping that we would draft him. I think he will be fine. I don't think anyone should be expected to do too much their rookie season.

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
Vinny wasn't all that great his first season either. If I remember correctly, there were a number of questions regarding whether Stammer was strong enough to play in the NHL his first year. After spending the off season working out with Gary Roberts, his play improved in his 2nd season and with that and more experience, he developed into the player he is today. It just takes time to figure out what you can and can't do at this level. There are going to be dry spells because the opposing teams will eventually figure you out and you're going to have to adapt and continue to find ways around that. You can't be a star and be a one-trick pony.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Hmm yeah I just see some parallels, maybe I'm way off and crazy but right now yakupov just has 1 dimension, quick offense. He tries to get open, and has a sick shot. But at what point do we expect the rest of his game to come. I'm patient and I'll wait as long as it takes but I hope he carries the same mindset that stammer had going into his 2nd season.

Stamkos impressed so much because he worked his ass off in the off season to be the player he is today

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Hey guys, just here to ask about mr.91 for you guys, in particular his rookie season. Not gonna lie, when I saw his stats first year, I thought he was gonna be a bust, Obviously I ate my foot, and he has become if not the best scorer in the NHL.

I'm just wondering as to what his first season was like, simply because we have nail, who is a sniper, but he seems to be off so far with our system/players on his line. I just wanna see if we can draw some comparisons to stamkos's first year to see what he was like. I just wanna know how he played throughout his first year, and his development/mindset. How many chances did he get per game? Did he look invisible for stretches, was he just not finishing all the time? was he not getting into the right places? what did he do right? what did he do wrong.

Lol lots of questions i know, but it'd really help me get a gauge for what we have in N64.

Thanks boys, enjoy da season!

The biggest problem was Melrose. He didn't want him on the team, he did absolutely nothing as a coach to help Stamkos individually to get better, barely played him during games and destroyed his confidence. He left in an ugly way and the whole team lost all respect for him. If he started off in a better and stable situation, I think he would of had a much better first season.

He went through the normal problems all 18 years have in the NHL, nothing I can really put my finger on. What changed from the poor 1st half I think was just a shift in confidence, the right line combo with Marty, and pure hard work. Rick Tocchet did a lot to try and build him back up again to help his confidence. He slowly increased his icetime and put him with Marty where they clicked and got hot. Their chemistry today is still amazing. And when you play with Marty more than likely you're going to get some points and succeed. He was also surrounded by great vets like Marty, Vinny, Gary Roberts, and Mark Recchi and coaches like Tocchet and Wes Walz. They cared and did a lot or work with him off the ice, with video, and individually during and after practices. Stamkos has amazing work ethic too as we all know and he made the change fast. Since that 2009 offseason he's been known as one of the hardest working players and his success helped put Gary Roberts on the map as one of the best trainers.

He scored 19 goals in the 2nd half of the season. He finished with 19 points in his last 20 games. He beat Brad Richard's rookie goal record. He then tore it up at the World Championships and made the tournament allstar team. Maybe he surprised everyone who had already written him off or didn't take him seriously.

I'm not sure I see any parallels with Nail. It's a different situation. Edmonton knows what they are doing as they've done a fine job with Hall and RNH. I saw he was put with Ryan Smyth too which I think is great. I think the lockout will also serve as a gigantic help to smooth the transition into the NHL. He was able to play against an enhanced KHL full of NHL players and did well and he was put in a very challenging spot with team Russia as the captain for the Russia Canada Challenge, Super Series, and WJC with 1 1/2 of the tournaments being played on Russia soil. There's not much more that could have prepared him. As we're seeing over here a lot of the guys who played during the lockout have a little bit of an advantage too.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
The biggest problem was Melrose. He didn't want him on the team, he did absolutely nothing as a coach to help Stamkos individually to get better, barely played him during games and destroyed his confidence. He left in an ugly way and the whole team lost all respect for him. If he started off in a better and stable situation, I think he would of had a much better first season.

He went through the normal problems all 18 years have in the NHL, nothing I can really put my finger on. What changed from the poor 1st half I think was just a shift in confidence, the right line combo with Marty, and pure hard work. Rick Tocchet did a lot to try and build him back up again to help his confidence. He slowly increased his icetime and put him with Marty where they clicked and got hot. Their chemistry today is still amazing. And when you play with Marty more than likely you're going to get some points and succeed. He was also surrounded by great vets like Marty, Vinny, Gary Roberts, and Mark Recchi and coaches like Tocchet and Wes Walz. They cared and did a lot or work with him off the ice, with video, and individually during and after practices. Stamkos has amazing work ethic too as we all know and he made the change fast. Since that 2009 offseason he's been known as one of the hardest working players and his success helped put Gary Roberts on the map as one of the best trainers.

He scored 19 goals in the 2nd half of the season. He finished with 19 points in his last 20 games. He beat Brad Richard's rookie goal record. He then tore it up at the World Championships and made the tournament allstar team. Maybe he surprised everyone who had already written him off or didn't take him seriously.

I'm not sure I see any parallels with Nail. It's a different situation. Edmonton knows what they are doing as they've done a fine job with Hall and RNH. I saw he was put with Ryan Smyth too which I think is great. I think the lockout will also serve as a gigantic help to smooth the transition into the NHL. He was able to play against an enhanced KHL full of NHL players and did well and he was put in a very challenging spot with team Russia as the captain for the Russia Canada Challenge, Super Series, and WJC with 1 1/2 of the tournaments being played on Russia soil. There's not much more that could have prepared him. As we're seeing over here a lot of the guys who played during the lockout have a little bit of an advantage too.

Yeah, and I agree there aren't very many parallels with the situations or the settings. Stamkos had to deal with a crappy head coach in melrose and his overall situation was different. I draw the parallels with the players themselves. But this is why i'm asking because Stmakos looked like a raw talented goalscorer in the NHL when he came in, and he transformed into maybe the best player over 3-4 years. Yakupov has all the talent in the world, I'm just hoping he can put it together half as good as stamkos.

But your guys answers helped alot. Big thanks, and good luck

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Hey Mods, don't know if this counts as like an "advertisment" but it's moreso just my hobby not looking to benefit from it in any way..

I'm an Oilers fan usually but a while ago, I put together a few video clips from games and wrote a small analysis about how Stamkos creates his scoring chances and an evaluation of how his overall game is progressing. I'm just looking for some feedback to see if what I'm watching lines up with what real fans of the team see.

I'm open to all criticism, and welcome any feedback.

The link is as follows: http://nhlwhiteboard.blogspot.ca/2013/02/how-does-stamkos-get-scoring-chances.html

Thanks guys!

Again, feel free to delete if this is violating anything, mods. Just wanted to create some discussion because I'm really curious about how the game works in general.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He creates scoring chances by being on the ice when the other team has an empty net!

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Excellent article oilsp1ll. With such a detailed analysis on Stammer's scoring ability, you should consider making Tampa your Eastern Conference team ;).

Just to add to point #2. He finds all the dead areas of the ice very well and he capitalizes by silently sneaking in. Opposing defenders and forwards get distracted by the play down low and his natural instincts in the offensive zone allow him to poach plenty of goals in front of the net.

In addition, for point #3, Stammer's evolved the one-timer from the top of the left dot this year. Recently, he has slid further down closer to the goal line and pauses once receiving the puck before banking it off the goaltender into the net. He seems to rotate between that play I just described and standing in the middle of the ice for one-timers as you observed in your article.

Also, as Hoser stated above, I don't know if there's anyone hungrier for an empty net goal than Stamkos. He seems to skate at 110% when there's an opportunity to cash in on the empty net :laugh:

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Excellent article oilsp1ll. With such a detailed analysis on Stammer's scoring ability, you should consider making Tampa your Eastern Conference team ;).

Just to add to point #2. He finds all the dead areas of the ice very well and he capitalizes by silently sneaking in. Opposing defenders and forwards get distracted by the play down low and his natural instincts in the offensive zone allow him to poach plenty of goals in front of the net.

In addition, for point #3, Stammer's evolved the one-timer from the top of the left dot this year. Recently, he has slid further down closer to the goal line and pauses once receiving the puck before banking it off the goaltender into the net. He seems to rotate between that play I just described and standing in the middle of the ice for one-timers as you observed in your article.

Also, as Hoser stated above, I don't know if there's anyone hungrier for an empty net goal than Stamkos. He seems to skate at 110% when there's an opportunity to cash in on the empty net :laugh:

Haha thanks! With GameCenter this year, sadly I have found myself gravitating towards Carolina as my Eastern Conference team! I have definitely seen my fair share of Lightning games and they should be pretty great once they put everything together, they seem to have a lot of pieces and a great young pipeline.

Interesting what you said for point #3, I might consider looking for that in a few more recent games and adding it to the post. Thanks!

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Haha thanks! With GameCenter this year, sadly I have found myself gravitating towards Carolina as my Eastern Conference team! I have definitely seen my fair share of Lightning games and they should be pretty great once they put everything together, they seem to have a lot of pieces and a great young pipeline.

Interesting what you said for point #3, I might consider looking for that in a few more recent games and adding it to the post. Thanks!

No problem, it's the least I could offer after you wrote such a great analytical piece on one of my favourite players.

I direct you to watch the most recent games vs. Boston and Florida on Gamecenter, if you want live proof or an accurate portrayal of the PP move I am referring to. In both cases, he uses the goalies (Khudobin and Markstrom) to bank it off of them (more or less) into the goal. From the replays, it looks like he could have hit a very precise angle, but I still think it bounces off the tender before going in. Hope that helps!

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
No problem, it's the least I could offer after you wrote such a great analytical piece on one of my favourite players.

I direct you to watch the most recent games vs. Boston and Florida on Gamecenter, if you want live proof or an accurate portrayal of the PP move I am referring to. In both cases, he uses the goalies (Khudobin and Markstrom) to bank it off of them (more or less) into the goal. From the replays, it looks like he could have hit a very precise angle, but I still think it bounces off the tender before going in. Hope that helps!

Not against Markstrom. It went far post on that ridiculous angle. When asked about it, Stamkos says he's aiming far post, banking it in doesn't even enter into his calculations.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Not against Markstrom. It went far post on that ridiculous angle. When asked about it, Stamkos says he's aiming far post, banking it in doesn't even enter into his calculations.

He may claim that he's trying to aim far post on the shot, but I can guarantee you that he's also factoring in the goalie bank in his "calculations". Either way, so long as the goals go in, it really doesn't matter if it's one of the other.

Ricebox

Feb 7, 2013
Norway - Florida
Welcome

joker_clap.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->