Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
And his two way game has been good as of late, as I keep mentioning. It will be key for us to move on in the playoffs to have two good defensive Cs in Point and stamkos.

Reactions: LonLon Lei

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
I thought he was "clearly injured"? Modern medicine really is something, a guy can go from looking like he's playing on one leg to playing some of his best hockey in the span of a week.
Well that 5 or so days may have just been enough rest.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It's all between the ears with Stamkos. He has been held back by an unwillingness to play with the reckless abandon necessary to win. The shooting was always going to come back and right now he's hot -which is nice. But in the end I think it's finally dawned on him that he cannot play safe anymore. I want to say it has been years since any of us have seen him try to power past defenders. He was never the best at it but he always became twice the playmaker with the puck on his stick with nothing but clear ice ahead of him when he stepped around the only player in his way than at any time when he's hesitating on the rush hoping to find a trailer when it would've been more intelligent to take a shot for a rebound. This time is no different. Some time back I said something along the lines of "I watch other teams captains play so well and ask why does Stamkos have to be ours."Whelp I gotta tell you the crow is kind of gamey

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky04

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
If Stammer shows up, our team shows up.

If you're teammates with the #2 guy in goals over the last ten years, you usually know just "how good" he really is and if you're not trying your hardest - he'll put you in your place. While that's not always been the case as of late, Stammer is hot and he WANTS to win.

Game 4 is show up or shut up.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
If Stammer shows up, our team shows up.

If you're teammates with the #2 guy in goals over the last ten years, you usually know just "how good" he really is and if you're not trying your hardest - he'll put you in your place. While that's not always been the case as of late, Stammer is hot and he WANTS to win.

Game 4 is show up or shut up.

Game 1 and 2 Stammer played well and we didn't show up. #FakeNews

Reactions: Hoek

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
Thank you for the awesome leadership so far this series captain!
The team is finally waking up!!

Sorry Ovi but our captain needs to be better than you to beat you guys!!

Last edited:

JDBolt

Oct 14, 2017
Thank you for the awesome leadership so far this series captain!
The team is finally waking up!!

Sorry Ovi but our captain needs to be better than you to beat you guys!!

First fortnite / hockey reference I've seen, and it's hilarious! Nice one..

Reactions: LonLon Lei

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Obviously Stamkos is famed as an elite trigger man, but is his ability to impact the game in a non scoring role limited by the fact that he doesn't really handle the puck all that much for a centerman?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Obviously Stamkos is famed as an elite trigger man, but is his ability to impact the game in a non scoring role limited by the fact that he doesn't really handle the puck all that much for a centerman?

He's just not that good at anything but shooting, he doesn't shoot as much anymore, and he doesn't shoot as well anymore. Brayden Point scored more goals than him this year.

I think this coming year we're gonna have a 1a/1b situation. I'm not sure Stamkos can put up 70 points without Kucherov, although he definitely had some flashes of elite play this year.

12 ES goals this year vs. Point's 27. (Yanni Gourde had 20; Tyler Johnson had 17.)

Just 4 ES points in 17 playoff games.

86 points is great and all, but there are a lot of red flags still here.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's just not that good at anything but shooting, he doesn't shoot as much anymore, and he doesn't shoot as well anymore. Brayden Point scored more goals than him this year.

I think this coming year we're gonna have a 1a/1b situation. I'm not sure Stamkos can put up 70 points without Kucherov, although he definitely had some flashes of elite play this year.

12 ES goals this year vs. Point's 27. (Yanni Gourde had 20; Tyler Johnson had 17.)

Just 4 ES points in 17 playoff games.

86 points is great and all, but there are a lot of red flags still here.

The thing that concerns me with Stamkos is we were all waiting for him to elevate his game to be a dominant center way back in 2013 before the leg injury. With so many set backs in between, he seems to be trying to get back to that. Just not really do anything involving the transition game, any sort of playmaking, puck control with very much regularity. Which is tough, because you can't impact a game very much offensively without doing those things. You're leaving it to guys like Gourde, Point, Johnson.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The thing that concerns me with Stamkos is we were all waiting for him to elevate his game to be a dominant center way back in 2013 before the leg injury. With so many set backs in between, he seems to be trying to get back to that. Just not really do anything involving the transition game, any sort of playmaking, puck control with very much regularity. Which is tough, because you can't impact a game very much offensively without doing those things. You're leaving it to guys like Gourde, Point, Johnson.

Right before the injury, he was on a different level. And then we've seen that level in flashes since, but more often than not, he's really just one-timing pucks on the PP.

In the first few games against Washington, he attacked the net like we haven't seen in some time. It was the only thing in those games to be excited about.

I don't know. To me, those ES goal numbers are concerning, especially when you've got middle-six tweeners out-scoring him by a solid margin.

He's not that 17-20% shooter anymore. And so much of his value was based in that.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Right before the injury, he was on a different level. And then we've seen that level in flashes since, but more often than not, he's really just one-timing pucks on the PP.

In the first few games against Washington, he attacked the net like we haven't seen in some time. It was the only thing in those games to be excited about.

I don't know. To me, those ES goal numbers are concerning, especially when you've got middle-six tweeners out-scoring him by a solid margin.

He's not that 17-20% shooter anymore. And so much of his value was based in that.
Ya before he broke his leg he was almost at a mcdavid Crosby level. When he scored 50 to 60 goals he drove the net hard but he also had a hall of famer in Marty St. Louis feeding him the puck.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Despite a successful regular season for both Stamkos and Kucherov, I think we need to separate them. I like DFCs idea of splitting up all of Point, Kucherov, and Stamkos. One thing I would really like us to do if we could is find a RW who can play with Stamkos not named Kucherov. Easier said than done.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Despite a successful regular season for both Stamkos and Kucherov, I think we need to separate them. I like DFCs idea of splitting up all of Point, Kucherov, and Stamkos. One thing I would really like us to do if we could is find a RW who can play with Stamkos not named Kucherov. Easier said than done.
Been saying put TKO aka the triplets back togther kucherov, palat and Johnson. Then Do Stamkos, Point and Miller if we bring miller back if not put gourde there!

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Been saying put TKO aka the triplets back togther kucherov, palat and Johnson. Then Do Stamkos, Point and Miller if we bring miller back if not put gourde there!

It would be interesting to see if we could get all 3 separated somehow. Like how the Pens sometimes have Crosby, Malkin, and Kessell separated.

Palat Johnson Kucherov
Miller Point Gourde
Killorn Stamkos Cirelli
Erne Paquette Callahan

Not bad. I think we see a little shake up in the roster though. I have a feeling one or two of the guys on that roster wont be here day 1 of next season. Just a gut feeling.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
It would be interesting to see if we could get all 3 separated somehow. Like how the Pens sometimes have Crosby, Malkin, and Kessell separated.

Palat Johnson Kucherov
Miller Point Gourde
Killorn Stamkos Cirelli

Erne Paquette Callahan

Not bad. I think we see a little shake up in the roster though. I have a feeling one or two of the guys on that roster wont be here day 1 of next season. Just a gut feeling.
wat

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Yea I know they are weird but I wanted to see what it would look like if we separated our best 3 forwards. I really hope we can acquire or bring up a top 6 RW. Maybe Katchouk or Raddysh steps up in training camp and they cant let one of them back to Syracuse.

Reactions: Master P

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Palat Johnson Kucherov
Miller Point Gourde
Killorn Stamkos Cirelli
Erne Paquette Callahan

Yes bump stamkos back to 3rd line center

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Palat Johnson Kucherov
Miller Point Gourde
Killorn Stamkos Cirelli
Erne Paquette Callahan

If we keep Miller, I'd keep him with Stamkos, to give Stammer a playmaker.

But the big positive is, at least for a little while, Point would be considered our 3C by opposing coaches, and he would eat those D pairings alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad