Stephen Weiss

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Sheahan is probably the second best passer on the team after Datsyuk. He consistently wins battles along the boards and has a great shot when he uses it. I think he becomes at LEAST a 50 point player at his peak.

I'd still say Zetterberg is a better passer. I mean, he was top 10 in assists...

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Found Weiss' crib from last season:

aVWn1v2_460s.jpg

Last edited:

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Jesus, all he said was he has the tools. Which he does. Are you disagreeing with that?

Sheahan doesn't really have any specific weaknesses in his game that you can point to and say that that is something he should work on. His weaknesses are more broad and abstract. He needs consistency and to be able to put it all together. Other than that, he's pretty good at everything... Defense, passing, shot, strength, skating, speed, puck protection, board play, etc.

It's not like some players where you can pick out a specific weakness. For example, Nyquist is sometimes weak on the puck and isn't the best on the boards. Tatar is prone to bad giveaways and is under-sized. Pulkkinen is an average skater and is bad along the boards. Sheahan doesn't really have anything specific you can point to and say "This will probably hold him back." He has everything.

I agree there is nothing to knock Sheahan with. The kid isn't just good he is really good at everything you listed. He always impresses me. He certainly lacks high end hands/elusiveness that will likely prevent him from putting up the kind of points you mentioned. I do think it is possible though. On the offensive side he will have to find a way to combine and utilize his puck protecting ability, great shot and good passing to the maximum potential if hes going to sniff those type of stats. I see him as almost a lock to be a solid long term 2nd line center on his best few years hitting 60 points and likely averaging around 50. But I mean like I said I wouldn't entirely be shocked if he managed to put up 60 points on the norm either.

Either way as of right now his worst case scenario is a great long term 3rd line center that can easily cover injuries in the top 6. Sheahan is one player you won't catch me complaining about.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is the 5 million dollars we should be looking to shed, first and foremost. Not sure why everyone is fixated on Howard, when this guy is under contract still.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
This is the 5 million dollars we should be looking to shed, first and foremost. Not sure why everyone is fixated on Howard, when this guy is under contract still.

I'd be carefull what you say... I got torn appart all season talking about how wiess is bad player, incompetent and makes horrible decitions with the puck.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I agree there is nothing to knock Sheahan with. The kid isn't just good he is really good at everything you listed. He always impresses me. He certainly lacks high end hands/elusiveness that will likely prevent him from putting up the kind of points you mentioned. I do think it is possible though.

I think Babcock was very right on Sheahan in that he is better than he thinks he is. He needs to drive the game though rather than be a passenger. He needs to develop that instinct and mentality and he could become a true high scoring power forward.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If David Clarkson is possible to be traded, so is Stephen Weiss.

Philly even had a taker lined up for Lecavalier last summer before the other team's owner nixed the deal. I think it was with Florida, but I'm not sure at the moment. If you're creative enough, or are just willing to eat enough cost in the process, nearly anyone is movable.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Philly even had a taker lined up for Lecavalier last summer before the other team's owner nixed the deal. I think it was with Florida, but I'm not sure at the moment. If you're creative enough, or are just willing to eat enough cost in the process, nearly anyone is movable.

Retain 2 million and I'm sure he becomes something a budget team could stomach. 2.9 million for Weiss isn't absurd. And since I don't think the Wings are going to push the cap for a few years, who cares. Just free up the 3 million and the roster spot.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Interesting comment.

Q: Do you expect Blashill to be vocal asking Ken Holland to get him certain types of players? My concern is that KH will become even more conservative and complacent with just making the playoffs without somebody like Mike Babcock constantly being in his ear about improving the team. -- VPalmer

A: I'm not sure how much Babcock was in Holland's ear about improving the team, since he mentioned on multiple occasions midway through the season how much he liked the group and how it was the best they've had since 2009. Blashill will voice his opinions, as all coaches do. Perhaps his words will carry more weight than your typical first-year coach due to his familiarity with the players, especially the younger ones, on the roster and in the system.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/06/ask_ansar_on_red_wings_options.html

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

Probably has something to do with the fact that Howard is much more tradeable than Stephen Weiss.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

He's says he's "not sure" based on a comment Babcock made halfway through the season. Well, how about any of the other 2000+ days in that time frame? We know for a fact that Babcock has asked multiple times for certain things (RHD, top sixer with size) and those players never came. Obviously, he was in Holland's ear about improvements numerous times since 2009.

Khan also says that Weiss is untradeable, which is a crock. Weiss isn't tradeable in the traditional sense, sure. But can he be traded? Absolutely. Retain some salary. Package with a pick. Cap dump forward for cap dump defenseman. Its possible.

I never get anything out of these articles from Khan, St. James, etc. None of these journalists give us anything more than a Q and A between two of the better posters on this board would give us. The journalists who cover the Wings are nothing more than mouthpieces. Nary an original offering from them.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Retain 2 million and I'm sure he becomes something a budget team could stomach. 2.9 million for Weiss isn't absurd. And since I don't think the Wings are going to push the cap for a few years, who cares. Just free up the 3 million and the roster spot.

$2.9M for Weiss is bordering on a great deal. He put up 25 points in 52 games in a season where 14 of those games he saw less than 10 minutes. There is little reason to think he doesn't have enough left in the tank to put up 35-40 points if he's getting 13-15 minutes a night. I think $1.5M is plenty to retain.

On that note, I think there is zero reason to do anything other than give Weiss all the chances in the world through the first 1/3 of the season. Give him 2nd unit PP time. Give him a real third line role, with 13-15 minutes a night. When he's having a good night, give him more time. And don't staple his ass to the bench after one mistake. Anything else, and you're just screwing your the organization by making it harder for Weiss to boost his trade value.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...13/stephen-weiss-detroit-red-wings/71176856/?

Looks like Weiss will be back. Has HSJ ever lobbied for something and it didn't happen? I'm assuming she's just taking what Holland says is going to happen and pawns it off as her opinion.

Helen St. James is an idiot and I never take anything she says seriously. She has no connections with anyone in management. She's just trying to fill her story quota for the offseason. She has to write about something that people will click on.

She says Weiss should be worth holding onto because he put up points on a bad Florida team over four seasons ago. "He knows something about being productive," is probably the most laughable thing I've read. That's not deep analysis. In fact, I'm sure someone on HFBoards could put together a better reason statically to keep him (or dump him).

A buyout of $1-1.5 million for several seasons is not "significant" like she claims. Having $4.9 million sit in the press box is much, much worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad