Confirmed with Link: Stepan and Raanta for Arizona 2017 7th Overall and DeAngelo Mod Post #286

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Are u guys more happy about our picks this summer? I`ve notion that many here miss Stepan already.
I did not read all the 31 pages in this topic though.

Losing Stepan for a pretty top 10 pick and a promising but unproven offensive defenseman does not wet my whistle. Maybe it'll work out but if Stepan's spot is not replaced with a top 6 center via FA or trade I will be very down on the team going into the season.

But this HF so everyone loves picks and prospects, so the fact that we drafted in the top 10 was probably enough to please a lot of people here.

If Andersson steps in this year and helps fill the hole then that is satisfying as well.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I would have tried to get them to include Domi but I do understand the reasons to trade Stepan.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
yeah true @Hire Sather I`ll read a bit more tomorrow - it start to get late here 4 am, but nice with weekend. It`s not an easy job to be a GM, because of fans favorites and sometimes hard to not get upset when someone u like are suddenly gone in a trade.
Anyway have a good weekend!

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
yeah true @Hire Sather I`ll read a bit more tomorrow - it start to get late here 4 am, but nice with weekend. It`s not an easy job to be a GM, because of fans favorites and sometimes hard to not get upset when someone u like are suddenly gone in a trade.
Anyway have a good weekend!

Its a lot to read. Im surprised you want to. You are dedicated. Have a great weekend!

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
After stewing on this trade for a bit

I wish we had gotten more, but apparently what we as a group thought Stepan was worth, was not representative of his actual value

And it seems clear that clearing cap space for something (no idea what) was the driver behind this trade

However I like the pick they made at 7, and I think DeAngelo is a good player

rangerfan_79

Jun 1, 2007
justanfyi.com
Getting out from that contract was huge. Something is wrong with DS. Maybe big city lifestyle, big contract hangover or maybe just some type of lingering injury. He is a big regular season player but when it matters most he falls short.

Looking forward to see the assets we got in return on Garden ice. The cap space is also an asset.

LGR!

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
When you look at some of the other trades that were made, particularly like the Isles, you see that clearing cap space in itself is worth a lot. Seeing that makes this deal more palatable to me.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
When you look at some of the other trades that were made, particularly like the Isles, you see that clearing cap space in itself is worth a lot. Seeing that makes this deal more palatable to me.

GMs have been giving out long term contracts with the idea of the cap continuing to raise in mind, and now that the players are getting sick of using the escalator and the cap ceiling kind of inching higher each year, cap space is breally ecoming a tangible commodity.

Brian Burke said something once about how boring the league trade wise because of the length of the contracts players are getting because no one wants to take them on or bail teams out

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Getting out from that contract was huge. Something is wrong with DS. Maybe big city lifestyle, big contract hangover or maybe just some type of lingering injury. He is a big regular season player but when it matters most he falls short.

Looking forward to see the assets we got in return on Garden ice. The cap space is also an asset.

LGR!

Equal 2nd in playoff points in a SCF run (15pts 24games)
3rd in points in an ECF run (12pts 19games)

Just how much more did you expect?

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I understand but without knowing what was said I can not judge him for good or bad. Whatever it was hopefully he has matured since then.

The team suspended him and then took the incident to the league--sounds pretty heavy. But, time has passed and hopefully DeAngelo has matured. We'll see. I'm fine with a player who has snarl on the ice, but wish it wasn't accompanied by the baggage off the ice.

rangerfan_79

Jun 1, 2007
justanfyi.com
Equal 2nd in playoff points in a SCF run (15pts 24games)
3rd in points in an ECF run (12pts 19games)

Just how much more did you expect?

Deceiving stats the way you posted it out of context. The last 2 years he had 4G & 4A in 17 playoff games. I expect a lot more from my 1C @6.5

* Regular*season Playoffs
Season Team League GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2012–13 New York Rangers NHL 48 18 26 44 12 12 4 1 5 2
2013–14 New York Rangers NHL 82 17 40 57 18 24 5 10 15 2
2014–15 New York Rangers NHL 68 16 39 55 22 19 5 7 12 10
2015–16 New York Rangers NHL 72 22 31 53 20 5 2 0 2 0
2016–17 New York Rangers NHL 81 17 38 55 16 12 2 4 6 4
NHL totals 515 128 232 360 130 97 19 30 49 24

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Losing Stepan for a pretty top 10 pick and a promising but unproven offensive defenseman does not wet my whistle. Maybe it'll work out but if Stepan's spot is not replaced with a top 6 center via FA or trade I will be very down on the team going into the season.

But this HF so everyone loves picks and prospects, so the fact that we drafted in the top 10 was probably enough to please a lot of people here.

If Andersson steps in this year and helps fill the hole then that is satisfying as well.

I honestly think that Gorton set a deadline of draft day and said that he would take the best deal he was offered, as long as it wasn't completely unreasonable.

Cap space is valuable.

For this team at this juncture, change is even more valuable.

I'm not thrilled with the return either, but I've been advocating on and off the idea that it's okay to take less in order to move on from the last iteration of the team. This fits that mold.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Agree on all points Tawnos. For the older folks here, does this offseason remind anyone of transition the Rangers made in the mid 70s?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I honestly think that Gorton set a deadline of draft day and said that he would take the best deal he was offered, as long as it wasn't completely unreasonable.

Cap space is valuable.

For this team at this juncture, change is even more valuable.

I'm not thrilled with the return either, but I've been advocating on and off the idea that it's okay to take less in order to move on from the last iteration of the team. This fits that mold.

The reality is Stepan is still very good but that contract likely looks bad in like 3 years

Only way to win is to get a star . Throw a ton at Tavares ?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I know one thing, I won't miss the embarrassingly bad opinions of Stepan half this board has.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
I know one thing, I won't miss the embarrassingly bad opinions of Stepan half this board has.

I'll miss stepan. One of the smartest players, always makes good decisions, puts up points, and other than this year, shows up in the playoffs. Some people worry too much about him winning 20 less faceoffs than they'd like in an 82 game season.

But I'm excited for the direction this team is headed. The d could be a stength for this team next year and beyond, and that's not a bad tradeoff for our 1C (yes I said it), restocking the prospect pool, and cap space.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Agreed. Although I feel the same way about Girardi and I'm know we don't agree there. :laugh:

I wonder what the next huge bone of contention will be. Stepan is gone. Girardi is gone. Glass is gone (well, I'm pretty sure). Maybe it'll be Deangelo and whether or not we can accept him being a jerk. Kinda feels like Hayes is heading towards being a polarizing figure too.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Agreed. Although I feel the same way about Girardi and I'm know we don't agree there. :laugh:

I wonder what the next huge bone of contention will be. Stepan is gone. Girardi is gone. Glass is gone (well, I'm pretty sure). Maybe it'll be Deangelo and whether or not we can accept him being a jerk. Kinda feels like Hayes is heading towards being a polarizing figure too.

He's already there.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

fear not, when he is playing great in arizona those same people will complain that we gave him away for nothing

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Thought about this for a bit now, i'm OK with the trade but i do think we got slightly bad value, it feels like Raanta was just a throw in.
If we got a prospect or maybe #35 added then i would feel pretty good with this trade i think. Now i feel slightly under OK ;P

Also this :D

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
it took this board 3 ****ing years to admit Girardi was rapidly declining but Stepan has one "bad" playoffs" and he needed to be dumped asap

k

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
it took this board 3 ****ing years to admit Girardi was rapidly declining but Stepan has one "bad" playoffs" and he needed to be dumped asap

k

That's​ not how it went.

The Girardi pushback was that he still belonged in the NHL, albiet in a more sheltered role. We had a loud contingent of posters here saying he belonged in the AHL period and that's where things got contentious.

The Stepan thing was recognizing his production was steadily declining (see his ppg the past few years) and the team's ability to shop him league-wide was about to go bye-bye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad