Confirmed with Link: Stepan and Raanta for Arizona 2017 7th Overall and DeAngelo Mod Post #286

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I still believe this had every bit as much to do with wanting to change up the dynamic on the team as it did the fear of Stepan declining quickly. You don't make a move this significant just because the guy had a down season.

Yeah agreed. That's the central component.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i think the issues here are pretty complex...you have a number of considerations that JG has to consider.

1)Stepans contract has a NTC that kicks in soon..it doesnt completely hinder my chance to deal him, but now is the only time where I completely dictate where I can deal him, and what I can get back.

2)Stepans game is predicated on intellect, not ability. Stepans not fast, hes got a mediocre shot, and isnt particularly great at anything..what hes good at is thinking, anticipation, and putting passes in position for his teammates to get to pucks..in short, hes almost completely dependant on his linemates to manufacture offense. If you put Stepan with 2 3rd or 4th line caliber players, Stepan would still be a competent player, but I highly doubt he puts up the point totals he does now... As Stepans foot speed continues to decrease..and boy it sure looks like its been trending that way, his ability to think the game through his shortcomings becomes more and more an issue.

3)Stepan has a monstrous contract...How many teams can absorb such a hit...especially considering....

4)The Rangers need cap space..this isnt even about Shattenkirk..they have to re-sign some key guys now and over the next few seasons that are going to get huge raises....Zibanejad, Miller, Skjei, McDonagh, Hayes...lots of guys will need $$$$$...cap stays flat..it gets impossible to improve the team further...even accounting for Nash completely walking away...

5)The whole...one last kick at the can thing has been worn out..theyve had their kicks..you need to make change...not just change for changes sake..but you need to try to get younger and better...Stepan is one of the few assets with an actual positive value. Who's taking back Staal? Not without sending you some garbage back...we already had to buy out Girardi...the core is centered around Stepan, Girardi, Mcdonagh, Staal, and Henrik..right now thats your core...Girardi is gone..McDonagh & Henrik arent going anywhere...that just leaves Staal (negative value) and Stepan...Stepan was the logical choice.

I get why they made the trade...Heck, ive been pushing for a Stepan trade since the middle of last season..with that said, im a bit disappointed with the return...i wanted more. I wanted at least another high end prospect along with 7OA in a crap draft, and a defenseman who, while talented, is an absolute head case.

In the end I think JG did fine getting back what he did...I think once you factor in how many teams could absorb that cap hit...how many teams could do so without sending salary back...how many teams actually wanted to pay a player likely declining..or at least possibly having peaked..its impossible to know.

They got what they got...heres whats important..i think they have to do more...they are at an absolute crossroads..

They can either use that cap space to make some savvy moves and reconstruct this roster to be younger, competitive, and ready to challenge for a cup in a few years....or they can go full bore young.

I think if they just stick with what they have...and fill in a bit here and there..they are in an absolute horror show of a position.

They need to go out and make a huge trade...go out and get Mackinnon...get Evander Kane if you can convince them to take back Staal...get Jacob Trouba...get Matt Dumba...make some moves for young kids with upside.

Youve got a few good pieces you can build around.

Forwards I would keep at all costs...
1)Kreider.
2)Zibanejad
3)Buchnevich
4)Vesey (for now)

Forwards I would move if the right deal was available...
1)Hayes
2)Miller
3)MZA
4)Fasth

Forwards I would be actively shopping to maximize their value while I can...
1)Nash
2)Grabner

Defenseman I keep..
1)Skjei
2)McD (for now)

Defenseman I would move if the right deal was available.
1)Holden
2)DeAngelo

Defenseman who need to OMG GTFO!!!
1)Staal
2)Staal
3)Staal
4)Klein
5)Staal
6)Staal

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I still believe this had every bit as much to do with wanting to change up the dynamic on the team as it did the fear of Stepan declining quickly. You don't make a move this significant just because the guy had a down season.

3 factors.

diminshed play. i think the organization was fearful that he would not be productive in the last 4 yrs of that contract and he would become another girardi/staal situation. his clause would have kicked in so they moved him.

cap room. i think that cap space allows them to do more to improve the team. i think they really like mika and i know they love kevin hayes. they had a chance to move step and generate cap room and get back a quality rpmd- whom they wanted and which addressed a huge need. i give them credit for pulling the trigger.

lastly, i keep saying it, but the yelling at henrik was bad optics and set a really bad tone to me. it left me feeling that his days were numbered. it might seem minor, but it may have played a part.

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
lastly, i keep saying it, but the yelling at henrik was bad optics and set a really bad tone to me. it left me feeling that his days were numbered. it might seem minor, but it may have played a part.

What's interesting is that Hank put out this heartfelt message to Girardi after his buy out, but nada for Step... One has to wonder...

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Maybe that "calm down" gesture offended Hank. He's got thin skin then.

The world completely over-reacted to that, the only reason it was a thing was the direct camera angle and clear reading of what he said. Players yell at each other all game long all year and it never makes the news because it's not front and center. In the grand scheme of things that particular play doesn't register anywhere except the media/fan coverage

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
What's interesting is that Hank put out this heartfelt message to Girardi after his buy out, but nada for Step... One has to wonder...

Meh, it's a bit different. Girardi has taken physical punishment for the team and for Henrik that few other players in the NHL have. Plus, Girardi being bought out and Step getting traded is different. G very well may not play in the NHL anymore.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I really think you are discounting the cap issue with Stepan.

Someone is eventually going to have cap issues with Hayes or Miller too if they were to trade for them. I just don't think their value around the league is all that high. Hayes in particular has had opportunities to seize the 2C spot and has never managed to do it.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Someone is eventually going to have cap issues with Hayes or Miller too if they were to trade for them. I just don't think their value around the league is all that high. Hayes in particular has had opportunities to seize the 2C spot and has never managed to do it.

That depends on what their contracts are. We already know that Stepan's is likely to become an albatross in the very near future. We don't know that Hayes or Miller will be looking at 6.5M per anytime soon.

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
Meh, it's a bit different. Girardi has taken physical punishment for the team and for Henrik that few other players in the NHL have. Plus, Girardi being bought out and Step getting traded is different. G very well may not play in the NHL anymore.

Agreed with the punishment part. After thinking about it, there's a much deeper connection between a Goalie and Defenseman anyways.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Agreed with the punishment part. After thinking about it, there's a much deeper connection between a Goalie and Defenseman anyways.

Girardi was also the 2nd longest tenured guy on the team. They basically grew up together on the Rangers.

Crazy that the only guys remaining from the 2012 team are Hank, Staal (ugh), McDonagh and technically Zuccarello.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
That depends on what their contracts are. We already know that Stepan's is likely to become an albatross in the very near future. We don't know that Hayes or Miller will be looking at 6.5M per anytime soon.

An albatross? That is way over the top.

This is a world where McDavid is talking about getting $10-12M. Toews gets $10. Kopitar gets $10. Stamkos gets $10.

Stepan is easily worth $6.5. He just turned 27. If he is a UFA he gets $8.

Contract is one of the worst excuses I see from NYR fans trying to justify a bad trade.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Contract is one of the worst excuses I see from NYR fans trying to justify a bad trade.

lol no it's all about the contract, this is why the trade was made, straight up salary dump. Rangers were not getting $6.5M x 4 worth out of this guy it was time to move on

And comparing Stepan to McDavid / Toews / Kopitar / Stamkos is hilarious

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
lol no it's all about the contract, this is why the trade was made, straight up salary dump. Rangers were not getting $6.5M x 4 worth out of this guy it was time to move on

Nice strawman.

Obviously not implying he is worth those amounts. I'd say he is worth 60% of free agent Toews/Kopitar for sure.

What is a fair market value for Stepan and what comps are you basing it on?

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC

Is Toews worth 3.5 million more than step? Maybe, but it's debatable. McDavid will command double Stepan's salary. If your big money is invested in D and goaltending, a 6.5 million dollar 1C who is capable, if not dominant, is probably about as good as you'll get. He had a couple of the worst months of his career, but given his leadership and professionalism, I fully expect him to put in the work and bounce back strong. If he doesn't I will gladly eat Crow.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Maybe that "calm down" gesture offended Hank. He's got thin skin then.

The only people who thought that was anything out of ordinary was the media who blew it way out of proportion. Stuff like that probably happens all the time. Stepan was a leader on the team and him and Hank were long time teammates.

I'm 100% that when Stepan and Hank both said after the game that it was no big deal and that Stepan was just trying to get Hank to calm down , they were telling the truth.

Media and fans just read into every little thing. Bad optics or not, to the players stuff like that happens all the time. There is 0% chance Hank was offended. These guys were teammates for 7 years and Stepan was a heart and soul core guy and a team leader just trying to get Hank to calm down. To think that incident or Hank at all had anything to do with the trade is ridiculous. Players yell at each other all the time, every game, every practice. They're competitors. The only reason that whole thing blew up was because it was all on camera.

As for why Stepan was traded, the main reason was definitely to shake the core up. The bonus was getting younger with a high pick and a top flight young D who fits a need and also clearing the cap space giving them more flexibility going forward, not necessarily for Shatty or a UFA, but a trade and flexibility with any upcoming RFAs and such.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Step telling Lundy to calm down was probably the right thing. How would Lundy react if a defensemen threw a hissy fit after one of his bad goals early in a game?

rangerfan_79

Jun 1, 2007
justanfyi.com
Stepan was a great draft pick and solid consistent player the first few years surrounded by a solid team (other centers took the pressure off like Brassard & Boyle).

After the last 2 playoff performances I can't imagine a team seeking a 1C via UFA and thinking that contract was a good idea. It took Calgary where many contracts get traded to and not signed.

I hope he finds his game again because I liked the guy but the game definitely took a nosedive.

LGR!

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
An albatross? That is way over the top.

This is a world where McDavid is talking about getting $10-12M. Toews gets $10. Kopitar gets $10. Stamkos gets $10.

Stepan is easily worth $6.5. He just turned 27. If he is a UFA he gets $8.

Yes, it could be very problematic if he game continues to decline. You are suggesting he's worth 8M this season. That could be...or he could produce like a 4M player...and then there are still 3 years left. Even if he produces this season it still doesn't make it a bad trade. Let's see what he's doing a couple years from now. That's what the team was probably really concerned about. A lot of dead cap space to buy out a guy with those kind of dollars left on his deal.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Step telling Lundy to calm down was probably the right thing. How would Lundy react if a defensemen threw a hissy fit after one of his bad goals early in a game?

Exactly, it was the right thing for a teammate and a leader on the team to do. Hank himself said just as much after the game.

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
DStep is only 26 and while getting the 7th OA pick is great, the Yotes completely bent over JG in a big way. Horrible trade

Stepan skates like he's 35. The game has changed in the 7 years since he started. He's slow in a league that values speed and his value has declined as a result. He ranked 32nd in scoring of those listed as "Centers" on NHL.com, not exactly an elite 1C. The trade looks fair, no one has a crystal ball so to call it horrible is just silly.

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA

It's a really good point. Outside of shedding a potentially dangerous contract and cap, the rangers gained the type of player they coveted for a long while: a young, offensively gifted right handed defenseman to groom with skjei. Hopefully deangelo can hit his potential and bring some life to the defense and power play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad