steen is overrated

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Habsaku said:
Steen is a very good player. I'd take him on my team anytime.

Just wondering as an apparent Hab fan would you take Steen over Higgins? Both are very good players as rookies and I wouldn't have a problem with either on my team.They are both very simular players.

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
sheed36 said:
Just wondering as an apparent Hab fan would you take Steen over Higgins? Both are very good players as rookies and I wouldn't have a problem with either on my team.They are both very simular players.
Personaly I wouldn't.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
sheed36 said:
This is where my bias'll come in, I personally wouldnt, IMO, Higgins is the best young player on either team. If you asked me Steen over Plekanec, Perezhogin or Kostitsyn, then I would definetly think about it, but not Higgins, he's the kinda guy who'll stick by the Habs for the rest of his career and be on hell of a fan favorite. He's from the same mold as guys like Muller, Gilmour, Carbo, Gainey and Keane, real hockey players.

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
Habsaku said:
This is where my bias'll come in, I personally wouldnt, IMO, Higgins is the best young player on either team. If you asked me Steen over Plekanec, Perezhogin or Kostitsyn, then I would definetly think about it, but not Higgins, he's the kinda guy who'll stick by the Habs for the rest of his career and be on hell of a fan favorite. He's from the same mold as guys like Muller, Gilmour, Carbo, Gainey and Keane, real hockey players.
I guess I'm the only one who sees a little Koivu in Plekanec? Perez, I'd consider due to this season, but I'd have to think for a long while simply cuz of all the potential and skill he's got, thing you have to wonder is if he'll reach it in the NHL?

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Habsaku said:
As a Leafs fan i wouldnt swap Steen for Higgins and those would be the same reasons, IMO two very good young players who both bring a lot more then Stats.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
vanwychen27 said:
As a Leafs fan i wouldnt swap Steen for Higgins and those would be the same reasons, IMO two very good young players who both bring a lot more then Stats.
Steen doesnt strike me as nearly as strong or physical or gritty as Higgins.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Habsaku said:

In my limited viewings, I found Higgins to be slightly stronger on the puck (most Leaf fans would like Steen to bulk up a bit more).

They were equally "gritty" (though this really is a subjective term) while Steen was more physical than Higgins.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
All im gonna say is, i would rather have Steen over Eaves & Higgins, just like i would think MTL fans would prefer HIggins, and OTT fans would prefer Eaves.

They will all be great players, but, to answer the original poster, no, Steen is not overrated. Everyone will see just how good he is in the years to come.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
as far as the title in the thread is concerned, its absurd.

I have been nothing but impressed with him up until now, and he has been everything he was advertised to be. I dont know how anyone can take anything away from this kid. There should be more kids in the league like Higgins Eaves and Steen, none of whom are overrated, all who will be in the league a long time, and do everything right. All three teams are blessed, and every other team would love to have them

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
underscore_boy said:
i think steen is overrated. he's good, but he is soft and doesn't have any moves. he's like jan bulis.

Word of advice:

Don't give up the day job.

Unlikely that a scouting position will be offered up to you anytime soon. :sarcasm:

Popcorn_Shrimp*

go leafs go!!!

I dont think steen is over rated, he will be solid 2nd line guy, who can fill in on 1st line if injuries come up, which often happens in TO.....

I just hope he can avoid sophmore jinx :dunno:

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
CapitalPunishment55 said:
a toronto fan on the caps official msg boards (i wont name names ;)) posted that he would never trade steen for ovechkin.

it was quite entertaining. i just thought i'd put that out there.

I hope you made fun of him and ridiculed him to your hearts content.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Habsaku said:
Indeed he isnt as strong but that can be improved in the offseason, He is physical and gritty though as he does throw some good hits and likes to mix it up in the corners. That said i dont think he will ever be quite as strong as Higgins who to me seems very strong for his size but i do think Steen is quiker.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Habsaku said:

Alexander Steen ackonwledged that he needs to add more size, and power to his frame earlier in the season. It's something he's already said he's committing the offseason to.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
GregStack said:
Alexander Steen ackonwledged that he needs to add more size, and power to his frame earlier in the season. It's something he's already said he's committing the offseason to.

He's still more physical than Higgins though. :)

Transported Upstater

CapitalPunishment55 said:
a toronto fan on the caps official msg boards (i wont name names ;)) posted that he would never trade steen for ovechkin.

it was quite entertaining. i just thought i'd put that out there.

And I'm sure there are fans on the caps official message boards who think Ovechkin is better than Gretzky in his prime.

What's your freaking point?

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
BlueAndWhite said:
He's still more physical than Higgins though. :)
I havent seen a MTL prospect get into traffic like Higgins. He goes into corners against two players if needed, gets a lot of punishment and even more in front of the net. I havent seen that from Steen. If being physical is throwing a hit once in a while then we dont have the same definition.

Transported Upstater

Habsaku said:
I havent seen a MTL prospect get into traffic like Higgins. He goes into corners against two players if needed, gets a lot of punishment and even more in front of the net. I havent seen that from Steen. If being physical is throwing a hit once in a while then we dont have the same definition.

I'm a huge Higgins fan. Plays his heart out, solid defensively, and doesn't seem to turn the puck over a lot or make a bunch of dumb mistakes.

Plus I think he may have more offensive upside than people give him credit for.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Habsaku said:

Well Steen does all those things as well (perhaps not to the extent as Higgins) and he hits much more often than Higgins (i.e. not just once in a while).

To me Steen is more physical.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
BlueAndWhite said:
Well Steen does all those things as well (perhaps not to the extent as Higgins) and he hits much more often than Higgins (i.e. not just once in a while).

To me Steen is more physical.

Steen is not afraid to barge his way in and crash the net by any means, and he isn't afraid to go into corners first and risk taking a hit, as we seen last night late in overtime when he got smoked by Brad Stuart. He has a very low center of gravity and is not easy to knock of the puck. I am really becoming a fan of his game. About 10-15 pounds would benefit his game a lot though.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Raging Bull said:
Steen is not afraid to barge his way in and crash the net by any means, and he isn't afraid to go into corners first and risk taking a hit, as we seen last night late in overtime when he got smoked by Brad Stuart. He has a very low center of gravity and is not easy to knock of the puck. I am really becoming a fan of his game. About 10-15 pounds would benefit his game a lot though.

Yes. As I said earlier in this thread, most Leafs would like to see him bulk up.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
Raging Bull said:

Sounds a lot like a certain Hab that everyone loves.

turnbuckle*

Bileur said:
agree. This guy's hands ae about 10000000% better than Bulis's.

Bulis's hands are almost as bad as Varada's.

a tad guilty of overstatement on occasion are we? Bulis has 18 goals bub - do the math. Steen is going to score 18,000 goals one season is he? sorry, according to your logic, he'll score 1,800,000.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad