steen is overrated

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
champben2002 said:
See, there are plenty of people that overrate Steen! It is completely fair to say that they are basically even at this point. The stats differance between the two are difficult to interprate, but they put the two players in about the same category. Those people that are saying that Steen>Eaves are just showing their bias (and overrating Steen), just as the opposite would show Sens bias.

So the stats are difficult to interpret but they clearly put the two players in the same category ?

Right.

The Fuhr*

BlueAndWhite said:
How does the full time second line winger like Neil average the same ice-time as the full time fourth liner like Eaves.

And how does a third liner like Varada averages 3 minutes less than Eaves ?

Patrick Eaves may have begun his NHL career on the fourth line but he has spent very little time there, the numbers prove that.

Because Murray switches up the lines as the game goes on. Those are how the lines start though. When healthy the Sens will look like this

Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson
Smolinski-Arnason-Havlat
Schaefer-Fisher-Neil
Vermette-Kelly-Eaves

I want Eaves to get more ice time but right now he does not see it. The only reason he has seen a little more ice time was because injuries hit.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Fuhr86 said:
Because Murray switches up the lines as the game goes on. Those are how the lines start though. When healthy the Sens will look like this

Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson
Smolinski-Arnason-Havlat
Schaefer-Fisher-Neil
Vermette-Kelly-Eaves

I want Eaves to get more ice time but right now he does not see it. The only reason he has seen a little more ice time was because injuries hit.

Right, when healthy - I can see Eaves possibly being on the fourth line. However like I said the Senators have not been healthy and the numbers show that Eaves has not been a fourth line player for most of his 51 games.

For the sake of the comparison (in this thread) Eaves is clearly a fourth liner but now Murray switches the lines during the game ? Which is it ?

Fuhr86 said:

He's seeing far more than a little more ice-time. He had 20 minutes the other night.

The Fuhr*

BlueAndWhite said:
Right, when healthy - I can see Eaves possibly being on the fourth line. However like I said the Senators have not been healthy and the numbers show that Eaves has not been a fourth line player for most of his 51 games.

For the sake of the comparison (in this thread) Eaves is clearly a fourth liner but now Murray switches the lines during the game ? Which is it ?

He's seeing far more than a little more ice-time. He had 20 minutes the other night.

He seen 20 minutes the other night because Alfredsson and Fisher did not play, Arnason got injured in the 2nd perriod of that game and Varada sucks. Eaves has not played with this teams offensive players when given a chance to play more then the 4th line. Have fun trying to produce playing with Varada and Smolinski
14 even streingth goals playing with those 2 is pretty impressive. Smokes been awsome as of late though so I should not complain about him. Eaves also does not see as much PP time as Steen.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Eaves has seen his ice time go up a bit in the last few weeks based on injuries and just plain deserving it, but overall, he jumps between the third and fourth line with different linemates. He has seen a few games with Heatley and Spezza though (who hasn't) and another game or two with Alfredsson. But I think the main point would be that Steen has certainly been given more ice time and better linemates on the whole (being with Sundin several games I've seen). Really, Eaves has played with forwards like Schubert, Kelly and McGratton more than Spezza, Heatley or Alfie.

I'm not sure who is better or will be better - I like both players. But I do know I would be sorely disappointed if the Sens gave up Eaves in exchange for Steen. And I probably wouldn't have said that three months ago, but Eaves has really opened up a lot of Sens fans eyes in the last few months. As someone who was advocating calling up Bochenski before Eaves, I've been completely won over by the guy and realize I really under-rated him. That, and he has really improved since training camp. I don't know what that means in comparison to Steen, all I know is the Sens have one helluva player.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Both will be similar players.

Steen IMO will become a more flashy scorer.

Eaves will be the guy who gets tips and the dirty goals.

Both players will be very valuable to their team. As a Toronto fan, I wouldnt give up Steen for Eaves. Sens fans wont be happy giving up Eaves.

A great comparision by the thread starter. But me, as a Toronto fan, would hold onto Steen. He'll be wicked. :)

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
BlueAndWhite said:
So the stats are difficult to interpret but they clearly put the two players in the same category ?

Right.

Ahhh yeah. I don't think that you can show that one is significantly better than the other statistically. That they are hard to interpret makes it even harder to make a significant conclusion either way. Because there is no significant differance they should be put in the same category.

Also what is this side argument about? Steen has played over 5 mins more per game and has played an additional 16 games. He also has 8 goals and 17 points compared to Eaves 3 goals on the power play.

Leeroy Jenkins

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
It's funny how Steen goes on a point streak after being demoted to the third line. Maybe it's due to the fact that he's no longer facing the opposing teams top defense pairings.

Oedi

Dec 18, 2005
Richmond Hill, ON
well...in the beginning it was nice when the Sens and Leaf fans were working together to defend Steen. Whoever brought in Eaves, shame on you ;) lol. We almost broke tradition

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
This thread isn't complete without my avatar.

My projection of Alexander Steen has always been the same from shortly after draft date, until now. I've always said he'd be a good second liner, or a decent first liner, and I believe that sentiment has been echoed by a few Sens fans, and Montreal fans, which, in my oppinion, would show you that it's pretty close to fact if they're willing to agree.

He's a very solid defensive player, and that's in his rookie year. When Steen is on the ice, you don't have to worry about him not backchecking, or doing it lazily. He gives 100% all the time.

Offensively he produces very well, and has been all season. It's tough for rookies to come in and perform straight from the other side of the globe. I'm not sure anyone here saw Steen undress the Sabres D two games ago, but if you did, you wouldn't question his puck poise, or his vision. His shot does need a bit of work, but to me he's more of a set up man than a sniper, and you need both of those types on your team.

Alex is really much like his father was, but heavier on the offensive side than on the defensive side. Alex will have a career that is equal to, or better than his father, Tomas Steen, the former Winnipeg Jets Captain.

It's laughable that this post was written. Leafs fans in general have been far too rough on Alex since draft day, many unwilling to give him the crown of our "Top Prospect" over good ol' Canadian boy Carlo Colaiacovo (who also was quite impressive up until his concussion).

Alex Steen is far from over rated.

Hawkhead

Jun 5, 2004
Canada
www.kiekko.tk
Steen is a second liner

Thats not a bad thing, not exactly a "great" thing but its good.

He is way overrated if you think he'' score 70-80 points in a season. I've been impressed at times and theres times where I just shake my head.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Roo said:
No, Steen is as good an all-around player as they get (for a rookie).

Chris Higgins is not too shabby either for a rookie.Plays a solid all around game and as a really bright future in the NHL.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
Laffs, Sens and Habs fans agreeing on something :)

I thought that heresy of the first order was the highest possible rating(= to Red on the Terror Colour Chart) but somehow that was just blown out of the water.

As for Eaves V Steen:

Eaves
16 PIM
12:32 (70% of Steen’s ice time)
4GW(+1, but his team has 15 more wins then Toronto :) )
87S
19.5S% (+ 8.9% but not a league enough sample size to say he is more accurate)
51-17(6% of teams goals)-5-22
3PP
1SH (=)

Ice time pretty much = to his regular line-mates Vermette and Kelly(4th line).

Eaves for some reason gets a lot of cheep shots directed at him.

Usually on the 4th line.

Steen
36PIM(+20)
17:51 (+ 6:19)
3GW
161S(+74)
10.6S%
67-17(7.5%)-23-40
8PP (+5 with superior PP time)
1SH

Pretty close to top-5 ice time for the Leafs.

Take away the PP and SH goals Steen is 8ES and Eaves 13ES, but Toronto as a team sucks on ES.

TCTC too close to call.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
sheed36 said:
Chris Higgins is not too shabby either for a rookie.Plays a solid all around game and as a really bright future in the NHL.

No argument there :)

Hawkhead said:
Steen is a second liner

Thats not a bad thing, not exactly a "great" thing but its good.

He is way overrated if you think he'' score 70-80 points in a season. I've been impressed at times and theres times where I just shake my head.

With the right linemates, he definately can be a 70-80 point guy in this NHL.

Hawkhead said:
Steen needs to hit.

he is no power forward by any means, but he certainly does not shy away from the physical play. He still need to get a bit bulier and stronger.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
Raging Bull said:
How was Brad Boyes overrated? Look at him now, if it wasn't for Ovechkin and Crosby he would probably be a ROY front runner.

My point was that 2 or 3 years ago Leaf fans were praising Boyes while Leaf haters called him another overrated leaf prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->