Statement from Plattner // Plus DW Conference Call tweets

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I'd like to pull a Montreal but they already had Price and Subban.

Speaking of Subban, he could be available for trade this offseason depending on how contract talks go.

It would take a monumental **** up during negotiations for the Habs not to get Subban signed. Don't believe the sensationalistic Montreal media in regards to Thierien and Subban. He's a heavy handed coach, especially on stars. Ask Sidney Crosby and Malkin.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I highly doubt Subban is available. But if he is, that is an absolutely golden opportunity and I wouldn't forgive DW if he let PK get traded to another team.

Price is a good goaltender but IMO you don't build around a goaltender. Subban is a good point. I'm not saying we should become Montreal, but rather do a very quick tank and rebound. I know that's hard to orchestrate (IIRC Montreal had a lot of injury issues that season) but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. I do think that GM's aren't that devious.

But it would make sense if we were trading Thornton and Marleau for futures. Personally, I think if we moved Thornton and Marleau out for non-roster pieces (picks and prospects), all it would take was a bad year from out goaltenders and maybe one major injury to a player like Couture or Vlasic, and we could plausibly be a lotto team. Then the next year the prospects acquired for JT/PM come in, along with the top-5 pick, and presto.

(Yeah, I'm dreaming).

I remember a few years ago when I was saying we should trade for Price, and everyone said I was crazy and he's crap.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Not everything has changed...the GM has a big hand in those failures as well.

I didn't say anything about the front office since they aren't playing the games. He's built around Marleau and Thornton since they were the cornerstones. Has he had his **** ups? Sure, just like every other gm in the league. You'd think he was Mike Milbury by the tone of your posts.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I remember a few years ago when I was saying we should trade for Price, and everyone said I was crazy and he's crap.

Goalies are voodoo. I'm not good at scouting goalies, I'm not good at assessing goalies. It doesn't stop me from having opinions on goalies (;)) but the majority of goalies are voodoo. There are very few I would feel comfortable giving more than a 4 year deal; Price is one of them.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
You've also just said it. They've had more success. Also why is Vlasic just a role model for defenseman? That's pretty shortsighted. Fact is Marleau and Thornton have been here together going on 10 years. Everything else has changed in regards to the team but them. Two conference finals with just 1 win is all they have to show for it. Its not all their fault but like I said eventually you have to start again.

I just believe at this point we have so much more to rid on this team aside from Patty and Joe and with some needed additions, we are still a contender. Eg., we knew the D was lacking a man or two, make the additions / we rid three (all well known) and the D is much stronger. Niemi, just cannot compete against the better goalies. Thus, we see his value is little to not much. There is a reason for this/weak goals game in and game out.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Its plausible that the Sharks have terrible goaltending next year. Unproven Al and No Confidence Nemo. Could be scary.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
It would take a monumental **** up during negotiations for the Habs not to get Subban signed. Don't believe the sensationalistic Montreal media in regards to Thierien and Subban. He's a heavy handed coach, especially on stars. Ask Sidney Crosby and Malkin.

Not dealing with Thierien, Gene. It's been brewing for the past two years...

"Back in 2012, Bergevin went the hardball route with Subban and his agent, and they settled on a bargain of a two-year deal, punting the tougher decision down the road to this summer.

In hindsight, it was the wrong call – and not just because they’re in for protracted negotiations yet again with one of the most prominent faces of the franchise." -http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/mirtle-decision-on-subban-contract-looms-large-for-montreal/article18599879/

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Its plausible that the Sharks have terrible goaltending next year. Unproven Al and No Confidence Nemo. Could be scary.

I expect Nemo to rebound, but it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility. But given his contract status I suspect if Thornton and Marleau were traded, Niemi might be too. Unproven Al and signing an awful backup like Brodeur or (god forbid) Nabby would certainly be conducive to a tank. I'm still trying to find the numbers for the probability of Al being no good at all. I think it's about 15%. He's probably an NHLer, but you never know.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I just believe at this point we have so much more to rid on this team aside from Patty and Joe and with some needed additions, we are still a contender. Eg., we knew the D was lacking a man or two, make the additions / we rid three (all well known) and the D is much stronger. Niemi, just cannot compete against the better goalies. Thus, we see his value is little to not much. There is a reason for this/weak goals game in and game out.

Trimming the fat (players no one would give anything more than draft picks for) isn't going to get the Sharks what they need. Who replaces Niemi? The mythical vet goalie who will come in for peanuts? Those guys aren't better than Nemo. DW has said the Sharks are changing and two steps backwards usually means no cup aspirations.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Not dealing with Thierien, Gene. It's been brewing for the past two years...

"Back in 2012, Bergevin went the hardball route with Subban and his agent, and they settled on a bargain of a two-year deal, punting the tougher decision down the road to this summer.

In hindsight, it was the wrong call – and not just because they’re in for protracted negotiations yet again with one of the most prominent faces of the franchise." -http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/mirtle-decision-on-subban-contract-looms-large-for-montreal/article18599879/

So speculation by James Mirtle? You know what fixes all those supposed "issues"? Winning. Subban will get paid by Montreal. Montreal is set up to be very good for a long time.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
So speculation by James Mirtle? You know what fixes all those supposed "issues"? Winning. Subban will get paid by Montreal. Montreal is set up to be very good for a long time.

Not just Mirtle, it's been written about by many in the NHL media all season. But I agree that winning fixes most issues. But until he signs a new deal...

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I don't know what their cap situation looks like, but Chicago has soo many good defensemen, why not go after Seabrook or Hjalmarsson again? or Leddy?

They have like 66 million tied up going into next year with guys like Jeremy Morin as an RFA but both Kane and Toews will be in the final year of their deals.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I didn't say anything about the front office since they aren't playing the games. He's built around Marleau and Thornton since they were the cornerstones. Has he had his **** ups? Sure, just like every other gm in the league. You'd think he was Mike Milbury by the tone of your posts.

You said the team...they are part of the team even if they don't physically play the games. You don't need to jump into hyperbole with regards to DW. I've never not given the man credit for the good he's done so stop acting like I make him out to be Milbury just because I don't think he has it in him to build the necessary team to win the Cup.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Correct me I am wrong, but the Sharks have spent to the cap for several years now.

Prior to 2010-11 this team has never been able to throw around the necessary $$$ to land one. They are few and far between. If Plattner had been owner when Weber was up for grabs, he may have agreed to the $$$$. We'll never know.;)

It's not like this team will get one through free agency anyway. If fans want Plattner to utilize his money, it should be in scouting, drafting, and developing that franchise player like how most of them are acquired.

I don't expect them to land one at all . I don't feel its needed. If we can all agree that Burns,Braun and Demers is our RHD for the next 3-5 years then we focus on getting the handful of LHD's out there. They can be had. Do we want to pay the price though.

Bos-Krug rfa his ass, gamble on this one, 4yrs/18mil
Buff- Erhoff
Fla-kulikov
Ott- wiercioch or Methot
Pitt- Dupuis
Those jump off the top of my head.

Braun paired with any of these guys for the next 3-5 years :handclap:

Allows a Mueller/Demers pairing to blossom on 3rd line minutes.

vlasic-burns
krug-braun
Mueller-demers

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
You said the team...they are part of the team even if they don't physically play the games. You don't need to jump into hyperbole with regards to DW. I've never not given the man credit for the good he's done so stop acting like I make him out to be Milbury just because I don't think he has it in him to build the necessary team to win the Cup.

Doug Milbury will build a cup winner. If Ray Shero can, I think DW can as well. I just fail to see how its always a gm or coach's fault when the players play the games and are ultimately responsible for what happens on the ice. The Sharks coaches had the right plan to beat L.A. or else they wouldn't have taken a 3-0 lead and outplay the Kings in every area. Why did the Sharks veer from that? The Kings played well but not as well as they are playing now.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Or taking a page from your book. Nemo and Al do jack for Jack?

I would never wish any type of injury on anyone especially a kid but hypothetically speaking if the Sharks had the #8 pick next year and Jack Eichel had a Couture type issue and slide that would be a blessing from the hockey god pantheon. He's from Mass, he's a center and is playing NCAA hockey. Tim Burke would be sprinting to the podium so fast that DW might have a hair get blown out of place.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I would never wish any type of injury on anyone especially a kid but hypothetically speaking if the Sharks had the #8 pick next year and Jack Eichel had a Couture type issue and slide that would be a blessing from the hockey god pantheon. He's from Mass, he's a center and is playing NCAA hockey. Tim Burke would be sprinting to the podium so fast that DW might have a hair get blown out of place.

For every Couture whose injury issue (I swear it was mono that Couture had) affected his draft position, you have Alex Galchenyuk, Morgan Rielly, etc. whose don't. Eichel isn't the kind of player who would slide.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
For every Couture whose injury issue (I swear it was mono that Couture had) affected his draft position, you have Alex Galchenyuk, Morgan Rielly, etc. whose don't. Eichel isn't the kind of player who would slide.

Couture was Mono and a back or head injury. I doubt Eichel drops if he has one injury but if its a combo, I could see it. Doubt it happens though.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Doug Milbury will build a cup winner. If Ray Shero can, I think DW can as well. I just fail to see how its always a gm or coach's fault when the players play the games and are ultimately responsible for what happens on the ice. The Sharks coaches had the right plan to beat L.A. or else they wouldn't have taken a 3-0 lead and outplay the Kings in every area. Why did the Sharks veer from that? The Kings played well but not as well as they are playing now.

Are you really going to keep with the jabs of things that I never said nor never implied?

It's not always the GM's or the coach's fault. However, there were personnel issues going into the season that were not addressed. How is that not the GM's fault? How many kicks at the can do you give the manager when the results are not good enough? If you expect players to be held accountable, why not their bosses?

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Are you really going to keep with the jabs of things that I never said nor never implied?

It's not always the GM's or the coach's fault. However, there were personnel issues going into the season that were not addressed. How is that not the GM's fault? How many kicks at the can do you give the manager when the results are not good enough? If you expect players to be held accountable, why not their bosses?

For all we know Plattner could have given DW an ultimatum or some sort of window to fix the team. Unfortunately we will never know. Again, looking back we see the holes that were in the roster and then the things you never plan on happening, the injuries. I blame DW for not upgrading the defense during the season. Kevin Klein would have been a huge help and an upgrade over what the Sharks trotted out as #4-6.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
The Sharks will make the playoffs next season. I can't see Phoenix or Vancouver passing this team if a "step back" is taken. That can all change in the next month or two, but i can't see either of those franchises taking that big a step forward. The Nucks look poised to rebuild and the Coyotes will continue to do their thing.

Even if one of Thornton/Marleau are moved this team will easily take a top 3 seed in the PAC, but we could acquire picks to move up in 2015.

If both are moved i think the team still battles for the 3 seed, but moving up in the draft shouldn't be a problem if both Patty and Jumbo are no longer around.

I guess Pavelski being traded could also result in a playoff appearance and the ability to move up in 2015...... But his "old age of 30" could be the difference with our prospects/draft picks coming up in the next few seasons. 5 years makes a big difference when you are looking to grow through the draft.

Trade all of Marleau/Thornton/Pavelski then the Sharks don't make the playoffs, and will OWN the 2015 draft :laugh: It's already blown up..... no point in trading Couture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad