Statement from Plattner // Plus DW Conference Call tweets

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
What I expected. I'd hoped for some more detail, but this is the Sharks organization after all.

I'm waiting for the injury list. They have no excuse not to give that to us now.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
What I expected. I'd hoped for some more detail, but this is the Sharks organization after all.

I'm waiting for the injury list. They have no excuse not to give that to us now.

Didn't they release the injury list like a day after they were eliminated last year?

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
The one interesting thing to take out of this is this line:
"We are not satisfied with the status quo of the last few seasons"

The difference being previously they have kind of just said status quo, but this a little more specifically points out a personnel issue spanning multiple seasons. I think they are targeting players who specifically have had very poor performances in the last 2-3 years, and are considered key players/core players.

How they make that determination is a mystery, but I think it likely confirms that we are going to see a blockbuster or two this off-season.

Was thinking the same.

Also HP said it was a major blow to the organization and the fans. Those are pretty harsh words. Can't recall management ever being this vocall about a playoff loss.

And if all DW does is get rid of / let walk Havlat, Hannan, Boyle and Kennedy, then you know Plattner and DW play the fans for fools. All of that was sunk cost going into the playoffs.

Reiterating that status quo isn't acceptable sets a higher expectation for player changes.

+2 :)

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

There actually is if they really want to hang this on the players. Not releasing it prevents players from having an excuse.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Lackluster coming from the owner TBO. I feel sorry for the people who will be purchasing season tickets again next year, for another first round exit (yeah you read right). I expect big changes to start at the draft, but with a team full of ''all stars'', how can this team get any better? God help us all :help:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
PollakOnSharks 3:43pm via Web

RT @chuq that kinda feels like it has a "you got one more year...." subtext. which is what I'd do...

Pollak has updated his story.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Handzus is easily the weak link of Chicago's top-9. But they don't have to rely on him as much. Plus, a fantastic defense to clean up his mistakes.

Though to be fair, Handzus was a worse player while in SJ.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
There actually is if they really want to hang this on the players. Not releasing it prevents players from having an excuse.

Also depending on transactions or who's on the table they may want to keep things quite for now. I'm not saying pull a dick move like Edmonton. But no point to publicly say anything to this point to steer and interest away

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

Sounds like they are hanging the poor playoff performance on the players. Hasso's statement says DW and the coaching staff have his support in fixing this. Who else is there to blame?

I personally blame Havlat, but the visible wart of the Sharks is their defense, truly. I have no idea what DW was thinking in the off-season last year and up to the trade deadline this year. He must have saw something in the defense I didn't, but whatever he saw vanished.

Who from the blue line back to the net would be untouchable? Vlasic is the only one in my view. All the others should be up on the chipping block including the goalies.

Handzus is easily the weak link of Chicago's top-9. But they don't have to rely on him as much. Plus, a fantastic defense to clean up his mistakes.

Though to be fair, Handzus was a worse player while in SJ.

Never acquire a Czech with a last name that starts with "H".

Last edited:

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Also depending on transactions or who's on the table they may want to keep things quite for now. I'm not saying pull a dick move like Edmonton. But no point to publicly say anything to this point to steer and interest away

Good point but all traded players have to pass physicals so if it's really bad, then the acquiring team can deny the trade.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I would be, because there are enough UFAs that definitely won't be back that DW doing that would have leaked out by now.

Really just Boyle and injury or not, he'll get his 2 yrs / $9-10M.

Brown, Hannan and Kearns don't matter one way or the other. Brown will probably be re-signed as the 13th fwd and Hannan will retire, I bet, or be our 7th/8th dman

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I would be, because there are enough UFAs that definitely won't be back that DW doing that would have leaked out by now.

That and the fact that two players have already talked about their injuries.

The players don't want to give excuses for what happened any more then the org does so I'm not surprised that not much has come out.

Eighth Fret

Jan 11, 2011
Who from the blue line back to the net would be untouchable? Vlasic is the only one in my view. All the others should be up on the chipping block including the goalies.

Vlasic, yes. Braun is borderline untouchable imo.

I'm not averse to trading Demers, but I don't thinks his trade value would warrant a deal, so I'd prefer to keep him around.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Never acquire a Czech with a last name that starts with "H".

bskTcPZ.jpg

:(

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
If Brown, Hannan or Kearns are re-signed that pretty much a sign that nothing has changed.

They're all just fringe guys at this point whose fates won't be decided until Aug/Sept. All the big moves, if any, will happen in June / July.

All teams need depth of some kind to round out the roster.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Brown is not the problem and he's a cheap energy guy. Hannan and Kearns are old so whatever with them.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I haven't talked about the Sharks in two weeks and I wasn't sure where I can post my thoughts, having thought about it and letting the anger die down. I figure it might be here, considering we have this statement from the owner.

I hope they are right about the status quo, but I still want to see McLellan gone. He's had so many chances to coach this same team, and this same team has disappointed again, and again, and again. If not get rid of the coach, then there better be some major changes. If you have to shake up the line up and say we're probably not going to make the playoffs next year, that might be better than making the playoffs only to disappoint the fanbase again.

I think the thing that bothers me is I look at this from a marketing point of view. There is absolutely no way to convince this fanbase that the status quo is ok. I mean Season tickets are going to be renewed and I've already heard people having doubts if they are going to renew. I know my father bought a 10 game pack through is company and I'm happy about that because I like watching live hockey, but I don't want to see this same team again. I don't want to see our power play be like a 4 on 4 because one of the players on said power play is not a threat and passes it off over and over again (Thornton). I don't want to see Niemi in net (Stalock should get the start unless the Sharks go after a goalie), and I don't want to see basically this same roster again. I think other than Pavelski, Hertl, Nieto, Sheppard, Braun, and Vlasic, everyone should be fair game.

Hopefully this ownership group knows what they are doing and I hope one thing they aren't doing is telling the fans things will be same 'ol same 'ol. That ain't good enough anymore. Heck, I still think taking a step back and missing the playoffs (thus getting a higher pick in the draft) might be a step in the right direction, at least this year and it allows Hertl and Nieto to develop their talents more. That and you get some players from the minors who are ready and the year after this could be exciting. If they do make the playoffs next year, it really better be at least Western Conference Finals or bust.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad