Confirmed with Link: Stastny signed, 1.5M x 1

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I like the signing, feel it is best characterized as "solid". He fills a depth need, plugs in some offense to make up for Pacioretty's absence.

If this is the case (I still believe Drury is pencilled in at 4C), then I'd look for a Drury/Noesen/Pederson battle for 3LW. Personally, I'm not much of a fan of Pederson who seems like a AAAA player to me. My gut tells me that Drury makes the Top 12 and Noesen is the healthy scratch.
2 assist in 29GP last year, I don't see how anyone can think Pederson is anything more than an AHL vet player...Nosen probably has a better chance at making the NHL this year than Pedy

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
This dude is so slow he's a liability, right?

Maybe. But now that TDA is gone you and me have somebody we can be gadflies about and laugh when Sara has a spaz attack about it. 🙂

No but seriously I like it- I don't follow hockey outside the Canes but I know who this guy is from the rare occasions when he's played us so that's gotta be good.

What I don't like is the shifting of the narrative again- from several years on here the mantra was "The NHL is a speed league, the Canes are built for speed" etc to "Speed is overrated, we need grizzled vets". I mean I thought we had to have 4 fast lines that could be rolled in waves to overwhelm and exhaust the opponents. But I guess that ship has sailed.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I like the signing, feel it is best characterized as "solid". He fills a depth need, plugs in some offense to make up for Pacioretty's absence.

If this is the case (I still believe Drury is pencilled in at 4C), then I'd look for a Drury/Noesen/Pederson battle for 3LW. Personally, I'm not much of a fan of Pederson who seems like a AAAA player to me. My gut tells me that Drury makes the Top 12 and Noesen is the healthy scratch.

If Noesen and Pederson are in a battle for our 3LW, then we haven't yet made enough moves.

Barring another injury, I think at least going into the season, the top 9 is from these 10 players: Aho, KK, Staal, Svech, TT, Kase, Jarvis, Necas, Fast, Stastny.

Drury, Martinook and whichever player from the 10 above that doesn't make the top 9 will be the 4th line. Then Noesen/Pederson/whoever will be the healthy extra.

Interestingly enough, when you look at the roster on the Canes website, they have 14 forwards listed (includes MaxPac). Noesen isn't one of them, but Koivunen is. Maybe that was just drawing attention to the WJCs because Seeley and Heimosalmi are also listed on D.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If Noesen and Pederson are in a battle for our 3LW, then we haven't yet made enough moves.

Barring another injury, I think at least going into the season, the top 9 is from these 10 players: Aho, KK, Staal, Svech, TT, Kase, Jarvis, Necas, Fast, Stastny.

Drury, Martinook and whichever player from the 10 above that doesn't make the top 9 will be the 4th line. Then Noesen/Pederson/whoever will be the healthy extra.

Interestingly enough, when you look at the roster on the Canes website, they have 14 forwards listed (includes MaxPac). Noesen isn't one of them, but Koivunen is. Maybe that was just drawing attention to the WJCs because Seeley and Heimosalmi are also listed on D.

I saw Heimosalmi, Seeley and Koivunen listed on the site as well. I took it as that means they are likely attending camp this year, right after the prospects’ tourney.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I don't hate it. LIke I said, he makes less than Martinook and is probably 2 or 3x the performance.

I hate dumb contracts that are self inflicted like Martinook and Bear, while players that we could have held on to, like Nino and to an extent, TDA, walk. Gards is a no fault thing. But between Bear and Martinook we could have likely had TDA or Nino and still had Burns.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
From a previous post, I had mentioned that I thought Statsny was going to be the 3LW. I was responding to the post that listed 4 centers and had Statsny as the 4th line center. That's why I said...."if this is the case". As I've held all along I think Drury will be our 4C, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him at 3LW some as well. The "battle" I referred to was merely my way of listing who "might" also be in the battle. In the end, I think Noesen's the 13th forward.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I don't hate it. LIke I said, he makes less than Martinook and is probably 2 or 3x the performance.

I hate dumb contracts that are self inflicted like Martinook and Bear, while players that we could have held on to, like Nino and to an extent, TDA, walk. Gards is a no fault thing. But between Bear and Martinook we could have likely had TDA or Nino and still had Burns.

I'm with ya! Stoopid Borg isn't batting 1000 with respect to the moves they've made! I say fire them and replace them with Miss Cleo!

Miss Cleo.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
From a previous post, I had mentioned that I thought Statsny was going to be the 3LW. I was responding to the post that listed 4 centers and had Statsny as the 4th line center. That's why I said...."if this is the case". As I've held all along I think Drury will be our 4C, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him at 3LW some as well. The "battle" I referred to was merely my way of listing who "might" also be in the battle. In the end, I think Noesen's the 13th forward.
Ah, ok. I misunderstood the post. Yeah, barring something strange at camp or injuries, I think Noesen/Pederson will either be the 13th forward/waived-sent down.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm with ya! Stoopid Borg isn't batting 1000 with respect to the moves they've made! I say fire them and replace them with Miss Cleo!
I'm partial to Carnac the Magnificent.

06e.png

She gone. Followed her BF after his trade

Was it just that she followed him, or was it that the Athletic has been cutting out regional team reporters? I thought I read that somewhere, but I'm not a subscriber so can't be sure.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Was it just that she followed him, or was it that the Athletic has been cutting out regional team reporters? I thought I read that somewhere, but I'm not a subscriber so can't be sure.
Yes as a part of the NYT acquisitions they have cut some of the smaller following regional people. Maybe Sara C was going to be a part of that, maybe she made the decision makers’ jobs easier. The UNC / Duke guy still has a job. But she has been absent for months, I feel like.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yes as a part of the NYT acquisitions they have cut some of the smaller following regional people. Maybe Sara C was going to be a part of that, maybe she made the decision makers’ jobs easier. The UNC / Duke guy still has a job. But she has been absent for months, I feel like.

Thanks.

I would guess that UNC/Duke probably doesn't fall into the "smaller following/regional people" category. They are national brands with fans across the US.

Reactions: DaveG

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

06e.png

I was always a Dionne Warwick fan. Somebody would ask me an unknowable question and I'd reply (in a New York accent) Whadda I look like, Dionne Warwick over here?

And sometimes they'd be like "what does this have to do with R+B music" and I'd be like "IDK anything about that, that broad is on the Psychic Friends Network all the time I can tell you"

Raleighpig

Jul 17, 2018

06e.png

Hot crossed buns

What do you get from a hot cross?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Apparently, Adam Gold says that Friedman reported Stastny took less to come play with us. Its on his twitter.
It’s in Friedman’s latest pod, 21mins in:

Evidently there were other players trying to goad him into hurrying up and signing somewhere as some teams may have been waiting to see where he ended up before offering other guys deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad