Confirmed with Link: Stastny signed, 1.5M x 1

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Very nice signing for this player at this price and 1 year term. Clearly it had to happen late as I'm sure Stastny wanted more $$.

We've lost Trocheck and Nino and those guys are really hard to replace. We lost Domi too, but he is completely replaceable. But we've also made some moves to get forward depth. Pacioretty coming back for the playoffs, Drury slotting in, Kase, and Stastny. We have all our trade assets still if we want to add a piece at the deadline. We're set pretty damn well for this year. Getting Stastny is a "cherry on top".

When Pacioretty comes back it will be very interesting to see how we make that work capwise. At that point I could see Gardiner being dealt to Arizona but for a much smaller ask than a 1st.

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I still think there’s another move or 2 yet to happen. I wouldn’t be surprised to see either Gardiner or Bear shipped out and a vet LD signed.

I think that the rest of the moves are going to be done in February when Patches comes back from LTIR (wait, IF, because Tampa Strategy). Stastny's AAV fits snugly under the cap limit when Gardiner and one of Chatfield or Coghlan is assigned to the AHL. Gardiner and one of Chatfield or Coghlan will need to temporarily be passed through waivers in order to attain max LTIR cap relief from Pacioretty. Then both players, along with Drury, can be called up to start the season and Stepan can be signed to a 1 year deal to finish the offseason.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
He’s 36 and had 6 less points than Trochek in 10 less games. How much offense do you want?

I clearly do not expect a ppg player as a 36 year old.

When people mention Stastny they use words like high iq/heady....words used for players like Thorton, Aho, and Kucherov. I clearly don't follow him or watch the Jets so in the back of my mind I thought he was more of a 16-20 g 30-35 a type of player. High iq players games usually age well. That said a lot of fan bases like to pump up their players.

Then to see his totals and realize they're pretty much J. Staal numbers it makes me wonder if his reputation is a bit inflated....especially when Jets fans mention he spent a lot of time with Schiefele and Wheeler/Ehlers...so it's not like Stastny was dragging Nordstrom and Nestrasil to a 40 pt campaign.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I clearly do not expect a ppg player as a 36 year old.

When people mention Stastny they use words like high iq/heady....words used for players like Thorton, Aho, and Kucherov. I clearly don't follow him or watch the Jets so in the back of my mind I thought he was more of a 16-20 g 30-35 a type of player. High iq players games usually age well. That said a lot of fan bases like to pump up their players.

Then to see his totals and realize they're pretty much J. Staal numbers it makes me wonder if his reputation is a bit inflated....especially when Jets fans mention he spent a lot of time with Schiefele and Wheeler/Ehlers...so it's not like Stastny was dragging Nordstrom and Nestrasil to a 40 pt campaign.
He didn’t have pretty much J. Staal numbers though. He did have pretty much Trochek numbers.

Both 0.63 P/G, played an avg of 17:50 (give or take a few seconds). Better on face offs. Same number of total goals (21) in less games.

Not to say he’s better or equal to Tro but his numbers are still very good.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
The other benefit is that if Stastny works out great and the team finds success then it is common for these type of vets to re-up again for another cheap year.

Reactions: DaveG

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Very low risk deal for a guy who's pretty versatile. If KK struggles at C he could step in, or shuffle up/down the lineup on the Wing as needed (PLEASE INSTEAD OF MARTINOOK). He's also probably Kase insurance, since he's a guy that can't stay healthy all year either. I worry about his speed a bit, but it's a cheap gamble.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I like the signing, feel it is best characterized as "solid". He fills a depth need, plugs in some offense to make up for Pacioretty's absence.

What are thinking on lines?

Aho - KK - Staal - Statsny down the middle.
Staal and Statsny take primary defensive duties, Aho top line and KK line for the extra punch.
If this is the case (I still believe Drury is pencilled in at 4C), then I'd look for a Drury/Noesen/Pederson battle for 3LW. Personally, I'm not much of a fan of Pederson who seems like a AAAA player to me. My gut tells me that Drury makes the Top 12 and Noesen is the healthy scratch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad