Post-Game Talk: Stars shut out the Jets 2-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Fair point I guess, but what he is carrying over is a career high of 41 points and while 23 goals is good, it’s not exactly some amazing feat that guarantees first line everything. Cole has proven to be more productive over his career than Villardi ever has in his and Cole is 3 years younger and homegrown.
Valardi actually was every bit as productive as Perfetti last season and yes he is a bit older. He also has the same level of draft pedigree. I’m not sure where this concern for Perfetti comes from. Probably only Lanie was ever given as much optimal usage at the start of their career as Perfetti has been given. He is a great young player and future star and the team has treated him as such from day one. The organization has made Ehlers run through much more usage hoops then Perfetti has ever experienced.

Reactions: Jet and Jets 31

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think Villardi is a good big body to have as net front in pp. I was more thinking about automatic first line minutes, 6 on 5 and 5 on 3 time etc. Nothing in his history says he should be gifted those opportunities any more than Cole considering his career high as 25 year old is 41 points.
Except what Schief and kc need is a guy who will go into corners and compensate defensively for kc. The 1st and 2nd line should be getting equal time right now with Perfetti’s line so hot. I see it as more a result of role being the big body than anything else. They need to create other opportunities for Cole and getting opportunities for Cole should be a high priority.
6 on 5 should be cole, villardi/nino/ Lowry pick your favourite big body, kc, Schief, Morrissey, Ehlers.

Valardi actually was every bit as productive as Perfetti last season and yes he is a bit older. He also has the same level of draft pedigree. I’m not sure where this concern for Perfetti comes from. Probably only Lanie was ever given as much optimal usage at the start of their career as Perfetti has been given. He is a great young player and future star and the team has treated him as such from day one. The organization has made Ehlers run through much more usage hoops then Perfetti has ever experienced.
Kyle Connor started with pretty optimal usage.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Except what Schief and kc need is a guy who will go into corners and compensate defensively for kc. The 1st and 2nd line should be getting equal time right now with Perfetti’s line so hot. I see it as more a result of role being the big body than anything else. They need to create other opportunities for Cole and getting opportunities for Cole should be a high priority.
6 on 5 should be cole, villardi/nino/ Lowry pick your favourite big body, kc, Schief, Morrissey, Ehlers.

Kyle Connor started with pretty optimal usage.
Agreed you can put Connor up there with Laine and Perfetti as getting pretty close to optimal usage out of the gate. In terms of our highest drafted forwards Scheifele and Ehlers had a much tougher fight to get top usage early in their careers.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Valardi actually was every bit as productive as Perfetti last season and yes he is a bit older. He also has the same level of draft pedigree. I’m not sure where this concern for Perfetti comes from. Probably only Lanie was ever given as much optimal usage at the start of their career as Perfetti has been given. He is a great young player and future star and the team has treated him as such from day one. The organization has made Ehlers run through much more usage hoops then Perfetti has ever experienced

I agree that they haven’t done great by Ehlers all things considered. My point was that Vilardi doesn’t have the resume or history of play that demands he get everything right away. Opportunity sure, but to be handed the keys to the kingdom? Nope. They are treating him as if he was some super veteran all star that they brought in, as opposed to a young player about to break out.

In regards to Cole, he certainly has not been hard done by but he has earned what he has been given and earned the right for more. Playing 14:15 per game is way too low.

Anyway they are both great young players and should be around for a long time together.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
Agreed you can put Connor up there with Laine and Perfetti as getting pretty close to optimal usage out of the gate. In terms of our highest drafted forwards Scheifele and Ehlers had a much tougher fight to get top usage early in their careers.
Unpopular opinion, but I don't believe the org prefers any prospects over any others. Prospects get used when they are better than the alternatives. Some players can fill a role sooner than others. There is no conspiracy at work.

Reactions: Jet and 10Ducky10

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree that they haven’t done great by Ehlers all things considered. My point was that Vilardi doesn’t have the resume or history of play that demands he get everything right away. Opportunity sure, but to be handed the keys to the kingdom? Nope. They are treating him as if he was some super veteran all star that they brought in, as opposed to a young player about to break out.

In regards to Cole, he certainly has not been hard done by but he has earned what he has been given and earned the right for more. Playing 14:15 per game is way too low.

Anyway they are both great young players and should be around for a long time together.

I’ll just add they traded for Valardi with the hope he can take on certain roles and being a big net front guy with Scheifele and Connor was probably close to the top of Chevy’s hope for list. He will no doubt get an extended opportunity in this role.

Unpopular opinion, but I don't believe the org prefers any prospects over any others. Prospects get used when they are better than the alternatives. Some players can fill a role sooner than others. There is no conspiracy at work.
I don’t disagree at all. Often it comes down to team makeup and availability opportunity.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I agree - sometimes the opportunity is not based only on how good the prospect is - but also how good is the player they are replacing - in other words, how deep is the team the player is trying to break into.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021

It's not a conspiracy... but every coach/agent/player/fan is going to have different ideas of what constitutes "better". They're human, after all.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
One team took advantage of its limited chances. One team did not.

And that, essentially, was the difference on Tuesday night as the Dallas Stars downed the Winnipeg Jets 2-0 at Canada Life Centre.

There otherwise wasn’t much separation, nor time and space, between a pair of Central Division rivals who entered play tied in the standings. Tight checking, clogged shooting lanes and plenty of neutral zone play was the name of the game. Not exactly edge-of-your-seat stuff, that’s for sure

In the end, timely goals from veterans Joe Pavelski and Tyler Seguin, a terrific goaltending performance from Jake Oettinger (27 save shutout) and a putrid Winnipeg power play — and that’s being kind — told the story..

“Oettinger made a lot of big saves. They blocked a lot of big shots. I thought we played pretty solid,” said Jets centre Mark Scheifele. “We gotta stick to the process. Not everything is going to be sunshine and rainbows. There’s going to be stretches, games where you think you should have had a better result. Just gotta keep trucking.”

Winnipeg falls to 12-7-2, losing two straight games in regulation for the first time since mid-October. Dallas improves to 13-5-2.

Let’s delve further into this one:

1) GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY NO. 1 — Winnipeg had a glorious chance to open the scoring midway through the second period as Nils Lundkvist (holding Morgan Barron) and Radek Faksa (hooking Scheifele) took penalties just 52 seconds apart. That left the Jets with 68 seconds of five-on-three.

Oettinger made a handful of high-quality stops, none greater than a stone cold robbery job on Scheifele. That’s pretty much the way it’s been going for Winnipeg with the man advantage this year, as their power play began the night clicking at just 19.4 per cent, good for 20th overall in the NHL.

“We probably needed some more one-timers out there,” was Scheifele’s assessment. “That’s something we gotta figure out. We gotta score there.”

You had a feeling a missed opportunity might come back to bite them.

2) CHOMP, CHOMP — Sure enough, the visitors rode the momentum of a successful double kill and lit the lamp just 37 seconds after Faksa had exited the box.

Dallas Stars goaltender Jake Oettinger makes a save as Winnipeg Jets' Vladislav Namestnikov looks for the rebound during the second period.

Pavelski, who appears to be aging in reverse, re-directed a Roope Hintz pass right in front of Connor Hellebuyck for his team-leading 10th goal (and 20th point) of the season.

Paveslki’s stick appeared to graze Hellebuyck’s mask just seconds earlier, and the Jets clearly thought there was enough there to use a coach’s challenge for goaltender interference.

No dice, according to the NHL control room in Toronto, which upheld the goal. It meant an automatic delay-of-game penalty for the Jets, which they managed to kill.

3) GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY NO. 2 — Hard to believe, but the Jets got another 5-on-3 early in the third period when Ryan Suter (interference against Scheifele) and Faksa (tripping against Nino Niederreiter) were sent to the sin bin 1:16 apart. With 44 crucial seconds staring them in the face, Winnipeg once again failed to capitlize, looking stagnant.

“Story of the night,” said coach Rick Bowness. “It’s rare to get one. To get two like we did in a low-event, hard-checking game. There wasn’t a lot of room out there for either team, there wasn’t a lot of offense being generated. When you gets those 5-on-3s you have to capitalize, and it cost us the game.”

Sure, the Jets controlled play for much of the final frame, but a seasoned Stars team was happy to sit back and nurse the lead. And with just over three minutes remaining, Matt Duchene knocked Neal Pionk off the puck as he attempted a shot, then quickly fed it to Mason Marchment for a two-on-one rush. Marchment’s pass eluded a sliding Nate Schmidt and was buried by Seguin, essentially sticking a fork in the Jets.

“We’ve got to make them pay when we have two opportunities five-on-three. We have to bear down there and get the momentum at least on our side,” said Niederreiter. “We need to get more traffic to the net and try to make him block shots and break them down that way. Shots create chances and create opportunities. We didn’t do enough of that.”

Josh Morrissey led the Jets with six shots on goal (and 11 shot attempts), while Scheifele, Pionk and Nikolaj Ehlers had three each.

4) BIG GAME, SMALL CROWD — Attendance continues to be a concerning issue for the Jets.

Dallas Stars' Miro Heiskanen and Winnipeg Jets' Morgan Barron battle for the puck after a face-off during the second period.

Despite a key Central Division clash, Tuesday crowd count was just 11,439. That’s one of the smallest of the season and below the average of the first 10 games, which was 11,897.

It will be interesting to see if Connor McDavid (Thursday night) and Connor Bedard (Saturday afternoon) help the cause as the four-game homestand contins.

5) AN EMOTIONAL NIGHT — The annual Hockey Fights Cancer game is always a special event, and Tuesday was no exception. Five children battling various forms of the disease were honoured prior to puck drop as ambassadors and their touching stories had many in tears.

“It’s a huge night. I think it’s a disease that affects pretty much everyone, whether they’re immediate family, a friend, or someone they know so any chance that we can lend support, raise money,” said captain Adam Lowry.

“Before the game the powerful messages and extremely courageous individuals, a lot like the hospital visits, it puts a lot of things into perspective for us. There’s things bigger than hockey, there’s people fighting for their lives. It’s a nice night to honour those people and lend our support and raise some money and come together as a community.”

Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff presented CancerCare Manitoba with a $125,000 cheque on behalf of the organization through various fundraising initiatives.

6) EXTRA, EXTRA — It was hoped Gabe Vilardi would return to the lineup on Tuesday, but the Jets opted to hold him out for at least one more game.

“He’s not ready, as simple as that. Skated with a new brace today, so we’ll give him (Tuesday) and (Wednesday),” said Bowness. “Everyone’s hopeful for Thursday, but we’ll decide that. He’ll be one of those game-time decisions that we love to talk about. Tuesday was exactly six weeks since Vilardi suffered a sprained MCL in just the third game of the year.

The healthy scratches against the Stars were defencemen Logan Stanley and Declan Chisholm.

Bowness broke out the line blender after the Jets fell behind in the second period. Ehlers was moved up to the top line with Scheifele and Kyle Connor, while Alex Iafallo took his spot on the second line with Vlad Namestnikov and Cole Perfetti.

Hellebuyck finished with 19 saves on 21 shots.

Winnipeg will practise on Wednesday afternoon to get ready for the Edmonton Oilers.

[email protected]

X: @mikemcintyrewpg

Mike McIntyre

Mike McIntyre
Sports reporter
I scrolled up after reading this to see what Mike McIntyres hf account was... and it's fatdrunk hahaha

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

I think Perfetti to date has shown more potential than kc or Ehlers vs where they were at same time. Could be small sample size bias.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I may be wrong but the team was practicing 5 on 3 today and not regular PP. I think you may see for pp tomorrow:

Vilardi
Scheif Perfett Connor
Morrisey

Nino
Ehlers Vladdy. Schmidt
Pionk
This is so f***ing annoying. Our pp sucks so let's just keep doing the same shit.

Why not create a competition? Fashion 2 legit pps and tell them straight out, the pp that's generating the most gets the lions share of the ice time for that game.

Put Vilardi on Pp2. Stick Nino on pp1 and staple him to the front of the net. The same for Vilardi on 2.

Both of them are big and have great hands in tight

Forbid standing in one place for the other 4 players.

You're going to either open up seams or create shots with screens and deflections

None

Feb 22, 2012
This is so f***ing annoying. Our pp sucks so let's just keep doing the same shit.

Why not create a competition? Fashion 2 legit pps and tell them straight out, the pp that's generating the most gets the lions share of the ice time for that game.

Put Vilardi on Pp2. Stick Nino on pp1 and staple him to the front of the net. The same for Vilardi on 2.

You're going to either open up seams or create shots with screens and deflections

I find it hilarious how clearly the coaches want that net front guy but are unwilling to actually try players that are willing to play there and actually stay there. Like not even Lowry consistently gets in front of the goaltender, he'll sit off to the side of the net waiting for rebounds more often than not.

We've got smaller guys like Perfetti and Ehlers that do moving screens okay but it's not great. They're obviously not big enough to just plant themselves in front.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It's not a conspiracy... but every coach/agent/player/fan is going to have different ideas of what constitutes "better". They're human, after all.
Here's the difference though: coaches are with these guys every moment. They see everything, fitness, training, practice, maintenence habits, how a player deals with the rigors of the schedule. Plus, they don't do it in a vacuum. They have a dozen other highly skilled professionals giving their input.

So yes, there's bias, we're all human. However, fans are biased based on a fraction of information that the management team has.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Here's the difference though: coaches are with these guys every moment. They see everything, fitness, training, practice, maintenence habits, how a player deals with the rigors of the schedule. Plus, they don't do it in a vacuum. They have a dozen other highly skilled professionals giving their input.

So yes, there's bias, we're all human. However, fans are biased based on a fraction of information that the management team has.

Of course you're right there. Fans don't have access to any of that stuff. At the same time, coaches can be wrong too, and I don't think having more experience means your judgment should be beyond question.

Just saying, there's plenty of room for disagreement in player usage that doesn't have to involve conspiracies...

Reactions: Jet

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Don’t understand how the coach running the PP still has a job, Bones and Arniel stay clear and maybe that there in is the problem.

Reactions: Jet

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021

For the talent we have we don't really have a good excuse to have bad powerplays...

Reactions: Jet and Jets 31

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The issue with the PP is that our incumbents get to dictate there roles. It's why Scheifele is on the HB despite showing he's bad there for going on three seasons now. KC isn't an ideal one time threat either as he's best at close range shooting but he's out in the one time slot anyhow.

It's really not about Fly vs Gabe vs Cole for me as they get the spots that the incumbents don't want.

Gabe atleast will fill a role he's well suited for as the net front guy.

Perfetti to his credit has figured out how to be effective in the bumper/Swiss army knife type role but he's at his best as a QB. Ditto for Ehlers who looks to be going into the bumper spot now and he's even less suited then Cole.

My biggest issue is that our best configuration may not be possible as it will likely not have some of our current mainstay pieces on it.

Reactions: None and Jack7222

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

Smartest comment on this board in ages.

Reactions: Jet and Huffer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad