Confirmed with Link: Stars acquire G Scott Wedgewood

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Forsberg's now announced extension making it look even smarter that Dallas got on the backup market early.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Hoping he gets buried for another year, or at least have to fight his way back onto the NHL roster after proving his health.
So have him count another 2m against the cap, then spend another 2+m on another backup.... Shit yep that's what Nill is going to do

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
So have him count another 2m against the cap, then spend another 2+m on another backup.... Shit yep that's what Nill is going to do
Not what I'm hoping for.

Wedgwood has never even gotten a 1 way deal yet in his career. Doubt he'd cost any more than the $1.1 million in cap relief you'd get from Khudobin in the AHL.

Khudobin is a sunk cost, he can't be handed the backup job.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021

Wedgewood should be sub-$1 million. Khudobin will be 36 and coming off a major surgery with performance issues (on the ice ... IDK about his man parts).

I'd actually be fairly pissed at this point if Dallas' 3 goaltenders in September were Oettinger, Khudobin, and Scheel. Khudobin would be returning if he's on schedule right as camp is starting.

It's not ideal, but it's hard to imagine a scenario where you have confidence in Khudobin or Scheel as a competent backup next season. That surgery hurts the Stars because he can't be bought out now so you have to adjust and consider what other options you might have. I would not recommend playing him in the AHL though after what we've learned about being buried and getting injured.

Nill may not like it, but paying someone to take him may be the only smart option.

Reactions: LT

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA

The 'retroactive to' may just be covering their bases, but it makes it seem like Holtby could potentially be brought back before the season is over.

I'm kind of interested to see what Wedgewood brings, I have to think he slots in very quickly, because Oettinger has played way too many games in a row, legend has it Jacob Peterson was tired just from watching him play all those games.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
In a DMN article, Nill was non-committal. I wouldn't read into the retroactive thing. That's common practice. They essentially gave up a 3rd for a goalie. That speaks volumes IMO about how concerned they are about Holtby.

Nill said Holtby “may not be able to play for a while,” and classified him as more week-to-week.

Is Nill confident that Holtby will play again this season?

“I’m hopeful he is,” Nill said. “To say confident, I can’t know. That’s why we had to make this move. But I’m hopeful that he is. It’s something that comes and goes on him. We’ll just have to monitor it and go from there.”

That Holtby was even on the most recent four-game road trip was promising, but the lack of progress with his injury is not.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I'd like to think that if the Stars could have brought up Khudobin, they would have just done that, but with everyone injured except Scheel, they wanted to make sure they had a backup with experience to maybe grab an extra win. Personally I think the price is a little too high. It feels stupid to quibble over 3rd and 4th rounders, but then I remember the Stars snagged guys like Ayrton Martino, Stranges, Sjolund in the 3rd and 4th, and I really want the team to take more swings like that in the mid rounds. One of them will pan out to something good eventually if they do. Objectively, they more than likely gave up close to nothing so Oettinger can take a breather. If they can re-sign him for $1M or less, I think that's a win. I don't expect him to be very good, but if he can be middling for cheap as a backup, it's ok.

Bottom line, people can lament how unlucky the Stars are having three goalies go down with injury (Bishop, Khudobin, Holtby), but they're all old, and playing the geriatric lottery at every position is going to bite you in the ass somewhere, so here we are.

1647967895942.png

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Why do all our goalies get Ricketts?

I think Captain summed it up pretty well. They gamble on every position seeing as how they have Pavelski and Suter as well, but there's probably no greater risk than gambling on 30+ goalies, and Dallas chose to do that with 3.

Reactions: LT

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I think Captain summed it up pretty well. They gamble on every position seeing as how they have Pavelski and Suter as well, but there's probably no greater risk than gambling on 30+ goalies, and Dallas chose to do that with 3.
Thanks I needed the TLDR

Can't be reading paragraphs in the Wedgewood thread

Reactions: Kipper 17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad