Confirmed with Link: Stars acquire G Scott Wedgewood

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I don’t see how he can justify asking for anything over 1.3million. They should get him for 1mill unless he gets greedy and goes to test the open market.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Seems like most of us agree on $1-$1.3Mil would be the right offer for two years. I wouldn't ask him to play for sub mil and I wouldn't argue too much if he got $1.35 Mil, but that is an odd number. Maybe $1.25M, but its not worth arguing about, it isn't going to be the $.25M that breaks the cap.

Reactions: MBTendy

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Holtby isn’t getting any more money than he made this year. He wasn’t particularly great, and really wasn’t all that healthy.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him retire honestly.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I was actually thinking about Holtby the other day. He also seems like a guy who could sort of let the season start and see how injuries shake out. Maybe do something like Turco in his final year.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Holtby isn’t getting any more money than he made this year. He wasn’t particularly great, and really wasn’t all that healthy.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him retire honestly.

I bet Holtby earned himself a contract in the 3-4M range. When he did play he was very average, and someone will be desperate enough to pay him for that. Doubt he gets much in the way of term, though.

The goalie market coming up is pretty dire: 2022 NHL Free Agents - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Basically Campbell, Kuemper, and Fleury assuming he doesn't retire. The rest is a pile of garbage., and Holtby is the nicest piece of garbage in the pile after those three. I assume Campbell and Kumper re-sign with their respective teams, but I know both probably have some cap manoeuvring to do to make that happen.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I bet Holtby earned himself a contract in the 3-4M range. When he did play he was very average, and someone will be desperate enough to pay him for that. Doubt he gets much in the way of term, though.

The goalie market coming up is pretty dire: 2022 NHL Free Agents - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Basically Campbell, Kuemper, and Fleury assuming he doesn't retire. The rest is a pile of garbage., and Holtby is the nicest piece of garbage in the pile after those three. I assume Campbell and Kumper re-sign with their respective teams, but I know both probably have some cap manoeuvring to do to make that happen.

Fair. Him getting another shot wouldn't surprise me.

Kind of feel like Campbell might be one of the (unnecessary) casualties of Toronto's latest failure.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Fair. Him getting another shot wouldn't surprise me.

Kind of feel like Campbell might be one of the (unnecessary) casualties of Toronto's latest failure.

Yeah I could see that too, but unless they can get Fleury on a discount I think they would be crazy to let him go, mostly because there just isn't an easy replacement anywhere. Campbell is going to be such a weird one to guess a contract value for, he was absolutely awful for large stretches of the season, and elite for others. I think they'd regret paying him big money, but they don't have a ton of choices.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Yeah I could see that too, but unless they can get Fleury on a discount I think they would be crazy to let him go, mostly because there just isn't an easy replacement anywhere. Campbell is going to be such a weird one to guess a contract value for, he was absolutely awful for large stretches of the season, and elite for others. I think they'd regret paying him big money, but they don't have a ton of choices.

I wonder if Campbell is an incredible 1B that needs someone slightly ahead of him. To be fair, this year was his first as the guy, and the guy that was supposed to split games with was just not good most of the year. He reminds me a bit of Khudobin ... slow, long build ... found out that he can handle a larger role at a high level ... but you also found out he's no starter.

If I was Toronto, I'd rather find a way to dump Mrazek, keep Campbell, but find someone that can actually push him if not be slightly ahead of him. That may not be free agency. As you said, the options are slim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad