OT: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!!!!)

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
And the little slave boy at the end having force powers. Are slaves and orphans the only people in the galaxy that have force powers???? Lol

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And the little slave boy at the end having force powers. Are slaves and orphans the only people in the galaxy that have force powers???? Lol

Kylo, Vader, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Maul, Sidious, and Yoda all don't fit the slave/orphan mold.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Maybe force projecting leads to death and that's why we've never seen it before.

The more I've been thinking about the movie the more i think it was a big pile of dog poop. Finn and Poes storylines were pointless....Finn really didn't do anything and Poe was basically told he was an idiot by Leia and whoever took over for her but at the end it looks like he's going to take over as general of the resistance... Maybe it was a learning lesson for him. I enjoyed anything with Rey in it.

The Hoth type battle, instead of snow it was salt and Jedi throne room scene being rehashed bugged me a little. I'll be seeing it again with a buddy so maybe my opinion will change.
I don't have a problem with any of that. I disagree that Finn and Poes storylines were pointless. Finn was trying to stop the tracking ability in time for the ship to make the jump to ludicrous speed. It ultimately didn't matter but it set up the involvement in the story with Rose who will presumably be in the next one assuming she survives. I know a lot of people didn't like that storyline but I think it served a purpose. The whole movie itself seemed a little drawn out and could have been done quicker but I still really liked it.

Perhaps I'm just a sucker for anything Star Wars. I just bought my son two Star Wars books (ABC 3PO and Obi 1-2-3) and I am convinced they are the greatest pieces of literature ever.

Reactions: Tripod

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I don't have a problem with any of that. I disagree that Finn and Poes storylines were pointless. Finn was trying to stop the tracking ability in time for the ship to make the jump to ludicrous speed. It ultimately didn't matter but it set up the involvement in the story with Rose who will presumably be in the next one assuming she survives. I know a lot of people didn't like that storyline but I think it served a purpose. The whole movie itself seemed a little drawn out and could have been done quicker but I still really liked it.

Perhaps I'm just a sucker for anything Star Wars. I just bought my son two Star Wars books (ABC 3PO and Obi 1-2-3) and I am convinced they are the greatest pieces of literature ever.

The Fin/New girl story was a good idea done way too over the top and drawn out. They should have just had the two of them board the ship somehow and get caught. Get to the same place without the whole divergence to another world, with CGI horse things.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Fin/New girl story was a good idea done way too over the top and drawn out. They should have just had the two of them board the ship somehow and get caught. Get to the same place without the whole divergence to another world, with CGI horse things.

I agree. That is really the only part of the movie that felt out of place and I could have done without. I get that they wanted to introduce the child Jedi but they didnt need to go to those lengths to do so.

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
Kylo, Vader, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Maul, Sidious, and Yoda all don't fit the slave/orphan mold.
Luke - orphan found in the desert
Rey- orphan found in the desert
Vader/Anakin- slave found in the desert
Little boy - slave
Maul- father killed. Would have been a slave to the Nightsisters if he wasn't given to Palpatine
Palpatine - orphan. Granted he killed his parents and family
Yoda- 900 years old so who knows
:)
I don't have a problem with any of that. I disagree that Finn and Poes storylines were pointless. Finn was trying to stop the tracking ability in time for the ship to make the jump to ludicrous speed. It ultimately didn't matter

There ya go.... Pointless ;)

Reactions: Patrick Division

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
There were 37 minutes of commercials before this. 37 ****ING MINUTES! Can you believe that ****?

I have to let the movie gestate for a while. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm happy that I don't have to worry about spoilers anymore.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The dragging out part could be said pretty much about the entire movie. That was my only real qualm with it is the whole movie probably could have been 30-40 minutes shorter and still be great. I think that whole story line was used to set up the next movie with the kid at the end using the force.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There ya go.... Pointless ;)
Haha, well it was pointless in that they didn't alter the outcome but does everything in a movie have to directly impact the end result of something? There can be sub-plots and side stories that are meaningful or entertaining but don't change the outcome of the movie.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I do find it funny that the biggest complaint about Episode VII was that it was too formulaic and similar to Episode IV, and now the biggest complaint about Episode VIII is regarding the unconvential non-formulaic choices it made.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I do find it funny that the biggest complaint about Episode VII was that it was too formulaic and similar to Episode IV, and now the biggest complaint about Episode VIII is regarding the unconvential non-formulaic choices it made.
It managed to toe the line between being out there and being safe while failing on both counts.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I will say I thought Yoda was handled very well, and Lukes end was decent. I loved that Snoke waa killed quickly, although how powerful could he be if he can't sense the force being used beside him.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
My friends and I may have ruined the experience for some people... I tried to be respectful but some parts were just too unintentionally funny, Rose "dying" was up there with Talia in The Dark Knight Rises and Shmi in Attack of the clones level bad acting. And her saying they need to save what they love while stopping Finn from saving the resistance (with the door blowing up in the background) was too much, I burst out laughing

Maybe I'm just too cynical/nitpicky. At least it was an enjoyable bad movie. Probably get more entertainment afterwards than I would if it was good by tearing it apart with my friends.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
My friends and I may have ruined the experience for some people... I tried to be respectful but some parts were just too unintentionally funny, Rose "dying" was up there with Talia in The Dark Knight Rises and Shmi in Attack of the clones level bad acting. And her saying they need to save what they love while stopping Finn from saving the resistance (with the door blowing up in the background) was too much, I burst out laughing

Maybe I'm just too cynical/nitpicky. At least it was an enjoyable bad movie. Probably get more entertainment afterwards than I would if it was good by tearing it apart with my friends.

It definitely was eye rolling and cringey at many parts. And the intended humor fell flat every time

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I loved that Snoke waa killed quickly, although how powerful could he be if he can't sense the force being used beside him.
I think you missed the point - he was sensing, and even saying out loud, everything that Kylo was doing, except Kylo had tricked him into thinking he was doing it to Rey, when he was actually doing it to Snoke. Kylo had been working for years to gain Snoke's trust and to learn from him, but I think he had been planning to double cross him all along. Killing Han was just part of his plan to gain Snoke's trust and make enough of a mental/emotional break with his past so he could hide his true intentions. Sort of like the undercover cop who has to break the law to get in with the mob, except on a whole other level since mobsters can't read your mind.

I stood in line as a kid with my parents to see the first two movies, and went with my buddies in high school for Return of the Jedi, so I grew up with these movies, and I thought this one was great. Looking forward to going to see it again. My only real complaint about these last couple movies is they seem to be made with the video game in mind. The scene in the throne room with Snoke's guards just felt like a video game level, and the same with the attack on the castle in The Force Awakens.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think you missed the point - he was sensing, and even saying out loud, everything that Kylo was doing, except Kylo had tricked him into thinking he was doing it to Rey, when he was actually doing it to Snoke. Kylo had been working for years to gain Snoke's trust and to learn from him, but I think he had been planning to double cross him all along. Killing Han was just part of his plan to gain Snoke's trust and make enough of a mental/emotional break with his past so he could hide his true intentions. Sort of like the undercover cop who has to break the law to get in with the mob, except on a whole other level since mobsters can't read your mind.

I stood in line as a kid with my parents to see the first two movies, and went with my buddies in high school for Return of the Jedi, so I grew up with these movies, and I thought this one was great. Looking forward to going to see it again. My only real complaint about these last couple movies is they seem to be made with the video game in mind. The scene in the throne room with Snoke's guards just felt like a video game level, and the same with the attack on the castle in The Force Awakens.

That fight scene in the throne room is arguably the best fight scene of the entire series so if that is video game inspired, hopefully there are more video game inspired sequences lol

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014

I get that, it was pretty obvious, but Snoke has played Kylo at every turn, hes supposed to be this all powerful dark side user who connected Kylo and Rey's minds and can access Kylo's every thought. Kylo has shown no ability to conceal his true intentions, and yes that is what he did, just because Snoke narrating Kylo's surface level thoughts of turning his blade on his true enemy and his aim is true that is so vague the fact he could not see it coming hurts the scene. Ignoring all that with what i originally said, kylo is using the force to move a lightsaber right beside snoke. Any force user worth his salt should have noticed that.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
My initial reaction was that it wasn't that bad, but the more I think about it the more I dislike it.

The amount of plot holes is infuriating and it was extremely obvious that TLJ and TFA had different directors with different ideas. It's like half the things that happened in TFA and most of the teases that were made don't even matter.

I'm really curious how JJ wants to fix this mess because I don't think that's the Episode VIII he had in mind when he made Episode VII.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I mean Luke did project himself but he didn't actually do much besides distract the First Order letting the Resistance get away.

If you notice, his lightsaber never made contact with Ren's. So really he was just there as a distraction and he did everything he could to make sure that Ren didn't actually make contact with him and the jig would be up.

And he was also using a lightsaber that Kylo/Rey had just torn apart like 10 minutes earlier in the movie. Surprised Kylo Ren didn't notice that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad