OT: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!!!!)

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
It's officially 12/15.
313613.jpg

Reactions: trostol and sobrien

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
Didn't like it for several reasons. I hated Lukes story line. I can handle a character being depressed (Leaving Las Vegas) but not being a pouty baby. Leia floating thru space...ugh. Fin's pointless story line. Just so bad. This will be the 1st Star Wars movie I don't see multiple times in the theatre.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I just want to know who the eff Snoke is.

They can’t leave him as this mysterious being and never explain it.
Just saw it.

And that was my big question. They seemed to purposely hide him in the 1st one, then just dispose of him that quickly?

Kylo can't make up his mind...but maybe that's the point.

I just like all Star Wars in general. But it had less battles than I was expecting. And the Stormtroopers were pretty much forgotten in the movie.

Will be interesting to see where they take it in the next one....I have no idea.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Just saw it.

And that was my big question. They seemed to purposely hide him in the 1st one, then just dispose of him that quickly?

Kylo can't make up his mind...but maybe that's the point.

I just like all Star Wars in general. But it had less battles than I was expecting. And the Stormtroopers were pretty much forgotten in the movie.

Will be interesting to see where they take it in the next one....I have no idea.

My only hope is that Snoke isn’t really dead and he just played Kylo again so that he could Fulfill his destiny.

Then Snoke comes back next movie only for Kylo and Rey to team up to defeat him once and for all.

The damn guy was supposed to be stronger then Sidious and he just went out with a whimper. He poisoned Ben Solo’s mind, made Luke friggin Skywalker go into hiding, and showed that he can use the force like no other but bam. He’s gone just like that. It just doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
My only hope is that Snoke isn’t really dead and he just played Kylo again so that he could Fulfill his destiny.

Then Snoke comes back next movie only for Kylo and Rey to team up to defeat him once and for all.

The damn guy was supposed to be stronger then Sidious and he just went out with a whimper. He poisoned Ben Solo’s mind, made Luke friggin Skywalker go into hiding, and showed that he can use the force like no other but bam. He’s gone just like that. It just doesn’t make sense.
Yeah...it just seemed "off". As did what happened with Luke.

2 wrinkles that could have been planned out better.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Yeah...it just seemed "off". As did what happened with Luke.

2 wrinkles that could have been planned out better.

There’s also the thought out there that Snoke was just doing what Luke did with his out of body “experience”. So Luke introducing that power to the audience could pave the way for that but I think that’s just people trying to believe there’s some reason behind Snoke. I really hope there is a point to him but I’m not holding out hope.

Luke I can understand. He went to Ach-to to die and after absolving himself of blame to a certain extent and letting Kylo know that he’ll haunt him set up his becoming one with the force. There’s no doubt that Luke will be back. One thing to note is that Yoda actually hit Luke. We haven’t seen a force ghost make actual contact with a living being. Maybe the rules changed there too.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There’s also the thought out there that Snoke was just doing what Luke did with his out of body “experience”. So Luke introducing that power to the audience could pave the way for that but I think that’s just people trying to believe there’s some reason behind Snoke. I really hope there is a point to him but I’m not holding out hope.

Luke I can understand. He went to Ach-to to die and after absolving himself of blame to a certain extent and letting Kylo know that he’ll haunt him set up his becoming one with the force. There’s no doubt that Luke will be back. One thing to note is that Yoda actually hit Luke. We haven’t seen a force ghost make actual contact with a living being. Maybe the rules changed there too.
Yeah it just seems like if this was it for Snoke, then why bother.

And Kylo is just a snivelling baby. Not scary as a main bad dude, not likable as a good guy.

Also, later in the movie when Rey and Kylo were "chatting" and she was crying endlessly, they cut to him, then to her and the tear stream on her left cheek was no longer there, then when it went back to him, then her, it was back again.

Lol...it bugged me.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Yeah it just seems like if this was it for Snoke, then why bother.

And Kylo is just a snivelling baby. Not scary as a main bad dude, not likable as a good guy.

Also, later in the movie when Rey and Kylo were "chatting" and she was crying endlessly, they cut to him, then to her and the tear stream on her left cheek was no longer there, then when it went back to him, then her, it was back again.

Lol...it bugged me.

I don’t mind Kylo, I actually really like him. Probably my favorite character.

BUT he can’t be the big baddy in IX. I really think they needed Snoke to give this entire trilogy some actual gravitas. The throne room scene would have been perfect in a finale if we got to flush out more of a Snoke story but it just feels empty with how it went down in the middle of the trilogy.

So if Snoke is dead, the baddest dude in the Galaxy is Kylo Ren? Really?! I just can’t accept that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

BUT he can’t be the big baddy in IX. I really think they needed Snoke to give this entire trilogy some actual gravitas. The throne room scene would have been perfect in a finale if we got to flush out more of a Snoke story but it just feels empty with how it went down in the middle of the trilogy.

So if Snoke is dead, the baddest dude in the Galaxy is Kylo Ren? Really?! I just can’t accept that.
Yeah...that's what I was getting at. Kylo fighting the good vs evil in him is fine, but you can't be the big baddy with that going on.

No to mention that other dude going to pull a blaster on Kylo...no one would think of doing that to Vader.

Oh...and Leia in space and what happens....sigh.

Last edited:

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I don't get the hate. I know I'm the guy who likes everything, but I was blown away. Buckle your seat belts for this...I thought it may be the best Star Wars ever. Sure it wasn't perfect, but all I see are complaints so far. Complaints about what? Unanswered questions? An OP queen? A surprising death or two? Cmon...that shouldn't ruin a movie for you, it should make you excited for the next one.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Haven't seen it yet, but I like what I'm reading. Star Wars could use more weirdness.

The franchise is still missing a sex scene with light sabers and force choking.

Reactions: Rebels57

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
To those who may have a problem with Leia's actions in space, may I posit two things that might help ease your mind:
  • Force users do all sorts of super-human type stuff, like jumping real high or running real fast. If she's in zero-G one would think these powers would be heightened.
  • If you still can't wrap your head around her actions, think of it this way - instead of flying to the ship, she force pulled the whole ship to her. It's all just a matter of perspective... or perhaps, a certain point of view.
I mean she was using the Force, and as far as I know, there are no set rules for what that allows. We have an idea of its limits due to viewing other SW entries, but if we're going to nitpick one force power that's seemingly new, we have to do it with others, i.e. force projection. Yeah, it was a bit weird on first viewing, but I'm with whitsifier, they can stand to go a bit more weird. Well, not the sex stuff part, though.

In the end, the force stuff falls in the category of "magic" to me, which you can suspend disbelief a little.

What I have a bigger problem with was I believe I saw the cannon fire from the First Order ships arcing to hit the transports. Once you fire something in space, there's no arcing unless there's a strong gravity field, and it sure looked like those transports were still a ways away from Crait. Then again you can't hear anything in space, either, but we've always heard ships firing upon each other and blowing up, so... eh. Which is why I loved when Holdo went to lightspeed and wrecked the FO fleet and the scene went silent.

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Just saw it. Loved it. A little bit too long but the twists and turns kept me going. I don't know what's not to love about it. Not perfect by any means but it was jam packed with action and hoodwinks. Also *SPOILER ALERT* I think that Rey's parentage is still up in the air. Misdirection by Snoke/KR. I guess we'll see. Biggest disappointment is Snoke is not Mace Windu or Jar Jar Binks.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Just saw it. Loved it. A little bit too long but the twists and turns kept me going. I don't know what's not to love about it. Not perfect by any means but it was jam packed with action and hoodwinks. Also *SPOILER ALERT* I think that Rey's parentage is still up in the air. Misdirection by Snoke/KR. I guess we'll see. Biggest disappointment is Snoke is not Mace Windu or Jar Jar Binks.

honestly keeping her parents nobodies is probably a good idea..haven't seen the movie(spoilers do not bother me and work is keeping me from seeing it any time soon) gives them opportunity to explore it in the future if they want and can retcon it easier

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh

some believe the big baddie is Hux

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
It's tougher to picture Hux carrying that load, not being a force user or even particularly charismatic.
But he does have a few points going for him as a 'big baddie': he's in charge of the FO's massive military for one, and for another unlike Kylo, he has not an iota of turmoil at the notion of doing something horrible to millions of people.
Not conflicted at all, just utterly ruthless. Was raised to be that way according to the Aftermath novels.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Shocked by some of the reactions here. Thought it was maybe the 2nd best film in the entire series.

I loved Grumpy Old Jedi.

Didn't mind Leia using the force to get back to the ship, for me it was a weirdly moving meta-moment, almost as if it was wishing Carrie Fisher back from beyond.

I love Rey's parents being nobodies and even more that they're apparently morally dubious enough to sell off their own daughter.

I actually like the idea of Kylo Ren being the big bad. I like how it subverted expectations. I also like what it says about the nature of evil, that it can be (is?) rooted in petty adolescent fears, jealousy, and rage. My 14 year old daughter, who was expecting and desperately hoping for a Vaderesque redemptive arc for that character, is completely crushed.

My only problems:

1) We need some kind of backstory on Snoke. Who the f*** was this guy?
2) Luke's end. I'm VERY conflicted about the end of his arc. I understand why it makes sense on a story-level, but on a movie-level this lifelong fan really want to see Luke being a complete badass in a light saber duel, and I didn't really get that.

Reactions: Pantokrator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->