Star Wars Battlefront II (Nov 17)

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Yeah, I agree.

Progression is a key component of online shooters but so is balance. Battlefront II has a massive balance problem inherent to the very design of the star card system.

My biggest problem with the game right now personally is that I play casually, and it seems like a game that is best suited for a casual audience....except the progression is distinctly anti-casual as the top teir cards put you head and shoulders above people with lower tier cards.

If they had kept the cards to simply different or modified abilities (swap turret for shield, etc.) instead of objective advantages (grenade does more damage, etc.) then I think this would have been a far better game. Just my two cents.
Exactly. Or at least have some kind of matchmaking where you are vs other people of similar rank / amount of credits or scrap earned so you could potentially have the same or similar upgrades to your guys.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Only sold 7 million units. A little over half of what the original did.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Not really a Star Wars guy but tried the VR mission in the first game and it's unreal. Made me wish I liked Star Wars.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Hmm...people really hated this one aspect of the game, we got all this bad press, and we didn't sell as many copies as we thought we would.

There's only one solution: we need to bring that aspect back. It's the only logical course of action!

Just let it ride EA. The smart thing would be to quietly improve the game like you let DICE LA do with BF4, and try to right the ship on the next go around.

But that's the smart thing, so they won't do that. They'll just blow up DICE instead and turn the "Battlefield" name into a joke of a mobile-style game.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I think it depends on how the microtransactions return.

If they just come back as simple cosmetic loot boxes ala Overwatch/Siege/Halo 5, then i don't think anyone will care. If they come back full force as they were at launch? Yeaaaaah EA will probably regret that.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I think it depends on how the microtransactions return.

If they just come back as simple cosmetic loot boxes ala Overwatch/Siege/Halo 5, then i don't think anyone will care. If they come back full force as they were at launch? Yeaaaaah EA will probably regret that.

True.

In all seriousness, I'm fully expecting it to be put back the way that it was before.

But this.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
This is EA, where the CEO literally is in his own bubble about what is going on with EA. It's going to be back to the way it was.

https://kotaku.com/ea-ceo-defends-the-publishers-recent-slate-of-games-1822595564

In response, EA finance chief Blake Jorgensen made some comments about FIFA, and then Andrew Wilson chimed in with a speech that’s worth reading:

“As I look back on the last few years and we think about The Sims which has continued to perform year after year; Battlefield 1 which I think was certainly the biggest Battlefield and maybe the biggest shooter of that year; Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare, which is a new IP that has done well across two iterations; Dragon Age Inquisition, which in that year [2014] was Game of the Year. Even, you look at Mass Effect and while there was some polarizing sentiment in that franchise, it’s actually performed really well, and player engagement is really strong. And then of course across mobile, SimCity BuildIt, The Sims Free Play, and Star Wars Galaxy Heroes are all highly successful in their own markets.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Why wouldn't they put them back in exactly as before? Morons bought the game so EA has every right to go fishing for whales. I am dumbfounded that there would be "outrage" about this. This is the game you bought.

large.jpg

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Only sold 7 million units. A little over half of what the original did.
Well to be fair the game hasn't been out that long with lots of sales or anything. Though it was easy to find cheap around Christmas and New Years. Can't say I am surprised, it got a lot of negative press. I don't regret buying it at all. I have had a lot of fun with it. Like any game there are things I don't like. I have many games I don't spend micro transactions.

Reactions: Ar-too

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i got it as a christmas gift. i'm entertained.
i'm not planning on buying anything more but i don't freak out over kd ratio or whathave you. just there to blast things or beat on people with a lightsaber.

Reactions: Lancer and Ar-too

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Because I know most here will be smiling when reading this. 100% "sources" type of report but:

RUMOR: Disney and Lucasfilm Seeking New Publishers for Star Wars Games - MMOGames.com

According to anonymous sources, Disney and LFL execs have reportedly pulled EA “to the principal’s office” with regards to the state of the Star Wars license in the publisher’s care and have been shopping around for other publishers to handle games for Star Wars, with Ubisoft and Activision being name-dropped in the report.
The timing seems to suggest that the event in question is recent, but also references reports in November about Disney strong-arming EA’s decision to remove loot boxes from Star Wars Battlefront 2, which could mean that the search for different publishers was part of Disney’s tactics to bring EA back in line.
Incidentally, there’s word that Disney is capable of looking for alternate publishers despite having a contract with EA as a result of a clause that would let the Star Wars license change hands “if certain standards/conditions weren’t being met”. Whether the agreement between EA and Disney has such a clause has not been confirmed.

Reactions: Pilky01

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Man, it'd probably never happen, but Blizzard + Star Wars seems like a match made in heaven.

Of course, I would've said the same about BioWare (and had evidence to back it up), but EA seems to have no interest in dedicating resources to good single player games anymore.

Ubisoft is 50/50. If they pump out one of their cookie cutter Assassin's Cry games with a Star Wars theme, then that's a bust waiting to happen IMO. However, when Ubi dares to think outside the box, they can make some damn good stuff.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
And I don't ****ing blame them. If they do find another publisher, I can almost guarantee that Wilson will be fired.

Maybe then EA will finally realize that their methods of choke slamming great franchises into a pile o' whatsit and then wondering why nobody wants them doesn't work anymore. I'm sure they'll just attribute it to an 'evolving game market', which is frustrating bullcrap.

Keep in mind, I still enjoyed the game when it wasn't lagging like a bitch (which was far too infrequently), but with that kind of budget and the Star Wars license, they had the golden ticket...and then apparently flushed it down the toilet.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Hard to even fathom the money they would be raking in if the games were being developed competently.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Why wouldn't they put them back in exactly as before? Morons bought the game so EA has every right to go fishing for whales. I am dumbfounded that there would be "outrage" about this. This is the game you bought.

large.jpg
Thanks for calling my wife and I morons because we bought a game we wanted to play and really enjoy playing it. How stupid are we right? I mean, just because the game is a lot of fun and we've unlocked a ton of stuff without paying a dime, what a waste of our money!

Reactions: Lancer and Pilky01

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Thanks for calling my wife and I morons because we bought a game we wanted to play and really enjoy playing it. How stupid are we right? I mean, just because the game is a lot of fun and we've unlocked a ton of stuff without paying a dime, what a waste of our money!
This is something people don't get. All the people whining and complaining and saying it takes forever to get unlocks or level up star cards... etc. haven't even played the game. Where as everyone I know who bought it has not paid any extra $ and have unlocked lots of things and are having a lot of fun with the game.

I don't want to get off-topic but its todays society where if someone just screams loud enough about something people start believing it as fact. All these accusations about famous being doing bad things without any proof. Its turning into Guilty until proven innocent.

Reactions: WPGNYRFan

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Man, it'd probably never happen, but Blizzard + Star Wars seems like a match made in heaven.

Of course, I would've said the same about BioWare (and had evidence to back it up), but EA seems to have no interest in dedicating resources to good single player games anymore.

Ubisoft is 50/50. If they pump out one of their cookie cutter Assassin's Cry games with a Star Wars theme, then that's a bust waiting to happen IMO. However, when Ubi dares to think outside the box, they can make some damn good stuff.

For honor Star Wars game. Be pretty sick.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
EA is shit but it's important to remember that nobody does anything with Star Wars unless Mom and Dad over at Disney/Lucas sign off on it. They knew what Battlefront 2 was just as much as EA did. The fact that they wouldn't allow EA to do cosmetic stuff to "protect the lore" was probably a big part of why the game ended up the way it did.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
EA is **** but it's important to remember that nobody does anything with Star Wars unless Mom and Dad over at Disney/Lucas sign off on it. They knew what Battlefront 2 was just as much as EA did. The fact that they wouldn't allow EA to do cosmetic stuff to "protect the lore" was probably a big part of why the game ended up the way it did.

They knew what it was but they didn’t expect a steaming pile of crap at launch. The game play is f***ing horrible across the board. I can’t beleive this game wasn’t held back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad